There was a 3rd Zelda for the NES???

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
A seller on eBay is purported to have found at a flea market (for $20) a very early copy of The Legend of Zelda III for the original NES. Dubbed The Legend of Zelda III: The Triforce Saga on a rather crude label (pictured), this beta (version 0.6.24) seems kind of shady.

It is possible (and likely) that a Zelda III was being planned in 1990, but the seller has given very little promise to the game. In his words, “I have no time to play around with these things, I’m a really busy guy” who does not have at his disposal an NES to test it out. Still, he promises to compensate, if it is not legitimate, for an item of equal or greater value than the winning bid.

So far the bid is at $182.50, and the auction runs until Saturday, October 22nd, at around 2:30 EDT. It is hard to trust eBay auctions of the sort these days, but a cartridge like this would indeed be a rare find; can anyone shed some light on the (il)legitimacy of this auction?

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000980064358/

I dunno if this is true or not but I would love to find out

As far as I know, A Link to the Past was "Zelda 3." Could you post a link to the auction please?

What is kind of lame is that he had this proto, but never had the game dumped. It says on the website that the cartridge no longer works. If it is one of the only one or it is the only in existence that is really lame that he didn't make a rom image of it :p

Actually, it's unbelievable to me how you couldn't make a rom image of it considering that the cartridge must be ancient at this point and anything could happen to it.

Its not easy to just get all the equipment to dump a NES rom. Anyways this have been discussed at DP for some time.

[quote name='opportunity777']What is kind of lame is that he had this proto, but never had the game dumped. It says on the website that the cartridge no longer works. If it is one of the only one or it is the only in existence that is really lame that he didn't make a rom image of it :p

Actually, it's unbelievable to me how you couldn't make a rom image of it considering that the cartridge must be ancient at this point and anything could happen to it.[/QUOTE]

How many of us actually have the tools to do that? And how many nes games are actually dead? I have a little over 300 nes games and have yet to run across one that didn't work. They're much more durable than just the save battery, of which I'd estimate 25-40% of mine are dead.

I thought this thread was gonna be about BS Zelda.

There's absolutely no way this thing could be real. Why? Prototypes don't look so neat, they would just be labeled "Zelda 3" with a Sharpie.

Okay, I'll buy the fact that the guy has no way to test it, even though it seems a bit too convenient. But wouldn't it be a Famicom cartridge and not NES? And the guy then starts selling shirts about his auction? Sounds like a hoax.

Take the original NES Earthbound Prototype. Some dumpers actually went to seek out the owner of the cartridge and paid an assload to dump it for a ROM.

I would think someone would have been smart enough to do something similar already.

[quote name='whitereflection']I thought this thread was gonna be about BS Zelda.

There's absolutely no way this thing could be real. Why? Prototypes don't look so neat, they would just be labeled "Zelda 3" with a Sharpie.

Okay, I'll buy the fact that the guy has no way to test it, even though it seems a bit too convenient. But wouldn't it be a Famicom cartridge and not NES? And the guy then starts selling shirts about his auction? Sounds like a hoax.[/QUOTE]

I've seen more prototypes printed than written on.

*gasp*Who knows that cartridge could contain secrets about metal gear bob. If it ends up in the wrong hands metal gear bob will turn us all into donuts.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']How many of us actually have the tools to do that? And how many nes games are actually dead? I have a little over 300 nes games and have yet to run across one that didn't work. They're much more durable than just the save battery, of which I'd estimate 25-40% of mine are dead.[/QUOTE]

I still can't believe he didn't have it dumped :)

I'm sure there would have been a couple of honest people out there that would have it dumped and returned the cart back to him. I would have contacted someone from mamedev or something to help me out if I didn't have the equipment. Like I said I just find it absolutely unbelievable how he didn't have a rom image made of it. I mean if it's not working now, what is his excuse to not send it to someone to take a look at it? :)

[quote name='opportunity777']I still can't believe he didn't have it dumped :)

I'm sure there would have been a couple of honest people out there that would have it dumped and returned the cart back to him. I would have contacted someone from mamedev or something to help me out if I didn't have the equipment. Like I said I just find it absolutely unbelievable how he didn't have a rom image made of it. I mean if it's not working now, what is his excuse to not send it to someone to take a look at it? :)[/QUOTE]

Heh. If I had a copy (even a non-working one) I would never...EVER...let it out of my sight. There's no way I'd send it to somebody. They'd have to bring the stuff...to me!

[quote name='Rig']Heh. If I had a copy (even a non-working one) I would never...EVER...let it out of my sight. There's no way I'd send it to somebody. They'd have to bring the stuff...to me![/QUOTE]

Exactly, no chance in hell.

[quote name='opportunity777']I still can't believe he didn't have it dumped :)

I'm sure there would have been a couple of honest people out there that would have it dumped and returned the cart back to him. I would have contacted someone from mamedev or something to help me out if I didn't have the equipment. Like I said I just find it absolutely unbelievable how he didn't have a rom image made of it. I mean if it's not working now, what is his excuse to not send it to someone to take a look at it? :)[/QUOTE]

Umm... ya. He's going to risk losing it just so people he doesn't even know may be able to play it.

I don't believe either guy has it.

If the site guy had it then why didn't he take pictures of the game? He obviously knew what it was. Not to mention he is interested in it enough to make a webpage about it but not interested enough to play it more than 2 or 3 times? Then it just breaks, that seems a little convenient.

If the Ebay guy has it then why wouldn't he get a NES to test it on? He obviously knew what it was if he was willing to pay $20 for it when most NES games go for $3 at the flea market. Then when he finally does take a picture of it, it is some blurry half assed picture. I know that if i had an item that was potentially worth a fortune i would go out of my to authenticate it and take crazy amounts of pictures so that i would get top dollar for my Ebay auction.

Nintendo should dig into their archives and pull stuff like this out for the Revolution. Zelda III, Starfox 2, so on and so forth. People would lose their shit.

This is total BS. Nintendo wouldn't go to the time and money to make a cart that was just a title screen. Take a look at the actualy Mother NES prototype on LostLevels. This cart doesn't look like an internal Nintendo beta at all. Lastly, they wouldn't have begun localizing a game that wasn't already complete (or near complete) in Japan. That would mean a lot of wasted time and money.

From what Ive heard, its a mix between the SNES Zelda and the Original GB Zelda. However once the SNES Launched, they scrapped Zelda III and went with the SNES/GB Versions instead. Guess we'll never know...

bread's done
Back