There's a seller selling his PS1 collection - I need advice if I should buy or not

greenrocks

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
There is 25 complete games for $300. No Greatest Hits. All are black label. It's like $12 each. Should I go ahead and cough up $300 or not?

Brave Fencer Musashi (Collector's CD 2)
Bushido Blade
Bushido Blade 2
Chocobo's Dungeon 2
Chocobo Racing
Chrono Cross
Ehrgeiz
Einhander
Final Fantasy Origins (1 and 2)
Final Fantasy Chronicles (4 and Chrono Trigger)
Final Fantasy Anthology (5 and 6)
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
Front Mission 3
Legend of Mana
Parasite Eve (Collector's CD 1)
Parasite Eve 2
Saga Frontier
Saga Frontier 2
Threads of Fate
Tobal No. 1 (FF7 Demo)
Vagrant Story (Collector's CD 3)
Xenogears

3340291504_135984ef71.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want those games, that's a pretty decent deal. If you don't want them, you could probably still flip them and make some.

Yeah, absolutely!
That's basically the entire Squaresoft line-up on PS1! :shock:

I paid $30-50 EACH for all of those games. Grrr...

[quote name='Gameboy415']Yeah, absolutely!
That's basically the entire Squaresoft line-up on PS1! :shock:

I paid $30-50 EACH for all of those games. Grrr...[/quote]

Yeah exactly, that was basically the entire Squaresoft lot. He originally asked for $400 but lowered to $300.

Drool.... if i had that money I'd want that collection badly. If you have decent interest in those games it's worth it.

[quote name='greenrocks']There is 25 complete games for $300. No Greatest Hits. All are black label. It's like $12 each. Should I go ahead and cough up $300 or not?

Brave Fencer Musashi (Collector's CD 2)
Bushido Blade
Bushido Blade 2
Chocobo's Dungeon 2
Chocobo Racing
Chrono Cross
Ehrgeiz
Einhander
Final Fantasy Origins (1 and 2)
Final Fantasy Chronicles (4 and Chrono Trigger)
Final Fantasy Anthology (5 and 6)
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
Front Mission 3
Legend of Mana
Parasite Eve (Collector's CD 1)
Parasite Eve 2
Saga Frontier
Saga Frontier 2
Threads of Fate
Tobal No. 1 (FF7 Demo)
Vagrant Story (Collector's CD 3)
Xenogears

I pretty much have every game except the one's listed below.
Chocobo's Dungeon 2
Chocobo Racing
Front Mission 3

Nice collection. With FF7 fetching about hundred dollar, it not a bad price for all those games.

Bought the entire lot. 90% of them are near mint to mint. I'll let this one sit for the next 5 years or I'll just save this forever until I die. There's quite few discs, though it looks light use, I still want them to be more clean. Sure, sometimes I think I have OCD. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy 50 dollars profit, true but I think I could get a lot better than this. =P I saw an auction on ebay with only 6 games from Squaresoft going for $200 o_O;

I know there's some games that is worth like $10. But still that made me wonder what if it were to be 25 instead of 6... what would the total bidding be?

I'd be careful about holding on to those for too long if you're planning to sell. There will always be collectors who'll want the original discs, but remakes and digital rereleases are going to erode the value. Just a couple of weeks ago, I listed a mint, complete, black label copy of Xenogears on eBay at $40 and it didn't sell. Final Fantasy VII (again mint, complete, black label) got just one bid and sold for $60. I think people are beginning to realize that it's only a matter of time before Square begins remaking and reissuing their PSX library as aggressively as they've done with their NES and SNES titles.

Actually it's already started with War of the Lions on PSP and Xenogears on PSN. More obscure stuff like Threads of Fate will be your best bets to retain value. Honestly, if I were you I would be unloading the big name stuff as soon as possible.

Remakes weren't necessarily kill the value, its releases and downloads of the game that do. For example, Dracula X maintains its value even though the PSP remake and Valkyrie Profile didn't take much of a hit from the PSP version. Also, low print runs should always have their value, regardless of downloads. Higher print run, pricey games, are the only ones in real danger of losing value with downloads / Re-releases.

Sometimes remakes help the value - People like to collect memorabilia things related to things they like-

There are hundreds of new people experiencing Chrono Trigger for the first time this year, some of those people (note: a minority) will enjoy it enough that they'll want the original simply for the pride of owning it, even if they lack a SNES.

With emulation, reproduction, and piracy where it is, owning an original is NOT about playing it. Look at the Mario Karts on the Wii - they still pull $20-30 on the original systems.

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on that post on craigslist - the "entire PS1 Square library". I already have most of the games so I'm not very interested.

IMHO, it's a good but not great deal. Now if he had all of the Enix PS1 titles thrown in as well, then we'd be talking.

If you're really interested in this deal, then try throwing a $200 offer his way using the patented CAG craigslist negotiating techniques (courtesy of pfp, I believe it was), as described in the various craigslist topics.

EDIT: Never mind, you already got them. Congrats. For resale purposes, the profit margin would have been too slim for my taste, after I took out the keepers to add to my collection that I was missing.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'd be careful about holding on to those for too long if you're planning to sell. There will always be collectors who'll want the original discs, but remakes and digital rereleases are going to erode the value. Just a couple of weeks ago, I listed a mint, complete, black label copy of Xenogears on eBay at $40 and it didn't sell. Final Fantasy VII (again mint, complete, black label) got just one bid and sold for $60. I think people are beginning to realize that it's only a matter of time before Square begins remaking and reissuing their PSX library as aggressively as they've done with their NES and SNES titles.

Actually it's already started with War of the Lions on PSP and Xenogears on PSN. More obscure stuff like Threads of Fate will be your best bets to retain value. Honestly, if I were you I would be unloading the big name stuff as soon as possible.[/quote]

I agree, I think I was lucky to get the $180 out of FF VII, VIII, IX, X, XII, Parasite Eve, Legends of Dragoon, and Chrono Cross... We have a local used game store that now has 3 copies of Final Fantasy VII... Nobody looks to be buying them, and I think if you're gonna sell, sell now. I think the closer XIII looms, the more auctions for Final Fantasy games will plague ebay, will lower the value.

Vulgarism - Hmm, I think after the XIII release... I believe some of them will go down in value.

karkyco - True, I would love it if he also has included Enix games as well. But I doubt he did because he wouldn't know sometimes after PS2 when Square and Enix merged.

I was thinking I could do an auction at ebay with my reserved price. If it doesn't go above, what's the risk? How much the selling fee would be if it didn't sell?

bread's done
Back