These days, more of the *new* games I buy come pre-scratched

Allnatural

CAGiversary!
About half of the new/sealed 360 games I've bought in the past few months have had scratches on them. Nothing serious mind, but not what one would expect of *new*.

Also, many of the blu-ray discs I've bought recently were covered in smudges, and one, Planet Earth, was covered in smudges and scratches (so much for the hard-coating technology).

wtf is going on with quality control these days?

/rant off

I've had new stuff come with little scratches sometimes before, but i haven't noticed an increase recently or anything.

Any specific system this is happening to you with?

where are you getting your discs from? I know most of the local gamestops put all of their new discs into sleeves which often if not always caused slight scratches. This is a practice that stopped me from purchasing from gamestop.

[quote name='cashHD']where are you getting your discs from?[/QUOTE]

Yes let us know so I can never go there.

[quote name='cashHD']where are you getting your discs from? I know most of the local gamestops put all of their new discs into sleeves which often if not always caused slight scratches. This is a practice that stopped me from purchasing from gamestop.[/quote]

Well, usually that's only one disc (the display case one). But yeah, I won't often buy that copy either.

Maybe companies aren't paying for quality shipping :p

How bad does a disc have to be scratch before you return it? If I ever play a movie and it stops once or burps it's going back

Post pictures if you can of your pre-scratched discs cause I've never seen this myself

[quote name='SuxoR']
How bad does a disc have to be scratch before you return it? If I ever play a movie and it stops once or burps it's going back
[/quote]
None are bad enough that I feel compelled to return them (don't need the hassle and other copies could be worse). I guess I just have an unreasonable expectation that new/sealed means pristine condition.

Only sealed game incident I had was with Dead 2 Rights on XBOX. I went through 3 disks and all of them had gunk, Best Buy didn't believe me until they opened a copy up for me and saw it.

[quote name='Chase']Sounds like you're buying games from GameStop.[/quote]
Uh, no. I did say new/sealed in the OP, though I suppose that could imply GS's re-sealed "new" games. No, I haven't purchased anything from GS in a long time.

Let's see, Tales of Vesperia and Mirror's Edge from BB, Fallout 3 from CC, Blue Dragon from TRU...The Dark Knight from BB, Transformers from Target, and Planet Earth from Walmart. All scratched and/or smudged.

This thread would be much more informative if you actually stated where you were buying these games from.

[quote name='Allnatural']No, I haven't purchased anything from GS in a long time.

Let's see, Tales of Vesperia and Mirror's Edge from BB, Fallout 3 from CC, Blue Dragon from TRU...The Dark Knight from BB, Transformers from Target, and Planet Earth from Walmart. All scratched and/or smudged.[/QUOTE]

Bump for Braveheart.

Picked up the Blu at Target today. Disc 2 was covered in fingerprints. Lots of greasy fingerprints. Disc 1 (the movie) had just one fingerprint, so I guess that's good...

I've long been against a move to digital distribution, but shit like this is starting to sway my opinion. :bomb:

It seems odd that you are the only one having this problem. Maybe you're just buying resealed products?

[quote name='daschrier']I am tired of manuals being bent and crumpled too.
WTF is wrong with the processing plants?[/QUOTE]
This happens to me as well (and for the record, I get most of my new games at J&R in Manhattan - which has a very strict returns/exchanges policy - or via Amazon). When it happens, they're usually they're just little creases or other small faults, but it's still annoying.

[quote name='daschrier']I am tired of manuals being bent and crumpled too.
WTF is wrong with the processing plants?[/QUOTE]

I've been having the same problem with Wii games. They come bent at the edge that is closer to the spine of the case.

I haven't had this problem before. Well, except the Halo limited edition where the discs came loose, and any time the discs come stacked on top of each other.

Yeah I had this problem before also. I bought Tales of vesperia new from amazon and the disc was loose and thus had a couple of minor scratches, same thing happened with ratchet and clank for the ps3 I got at amazon.

Yeah I don't get this either it's definitely weird I would expect this from gamestop but not from amazon.

[quote name='magus83']Yeah I had this problem before also. I bought Tales of vesperia new from amazon and the disc was loose and thus had a couple of minor scratches, same thing happened with ratchet and clank for the ps3 I got at amazon.[/QUOTE]
A disc coming off the spindle is unfortunate, but understandable. What boggles my mind is how often a game (or blu-ray), secure in its case and factory sealed can be in such bad condition. Apparently I just have especially bad luck (case in point).

This is just bizarre. I think all y'all either have really bad luck, or I just have better luck because I've never had a single problem with any of newly purchased media discs. Well, guess I can't say that because Gamestop new is still considered "new". Well, you get the point.

I have annoying problems like this too.

Just today, I received my supposedly "new" strategy guide for Dissidia from Amazon and the book wreaks of wear-and-tear damage due to poor shipping and packaging. For one, they put the big-ass guide into some cheap papery material hoping that the the bubble wrap on the inside would preserve it. Well, it didn't. Secondly, our mailman literally just stuffed it into our tiny mailbox, so I wasn't surprised when I saw all the pages bent to to an irreversible angle. So just now I had to settle replacing it over the phone and pray the guy on the phone followed through when I said I wanted my replacement guide shipped in a box this time just so my stupid mailman will actually set it unharmed at our doorstep. But I don't see how a simple shipping label and barcode is going to tell the shipping people this personal piece of info. On the brightside... I got free Two-Day Shipping. Yay. -_-

[quote name='VagueSimplicity']So just now I had to settle replacing it over the phone and pray the guy on the phone followed through when I said I wanted my replacement guide shipped in a box this time just so my stupid mailman will actually set it unharmed at our doorstep. But I don't see how a simple shipping label and barcode is going to tell the shipping people this personal piece of info. On the brightside... I got free Two-Day Shipping. Yay. -_-[/QUOTE]
Awhile back, I had to get a replacement from Amazon for a Disgaea 2 artbook that they sent in a bubble mailer (of course, it arrived damaged). Did the request over the internet, and specified that I wanted it sent in a box. Lo and behold, they did so, and the replacement book I received was in much better condition.

Just another great experience I've had with Amazon's customer service. Hope all goes similarly well with your Dissidia guide.

[quote name='blueshinra']Awhile back, I had to get a replacement from Amazon for a Disgaea 2 artbook that they sent in a bubble mailer (of course, it arrived damaged). Did the request over the internet, and specified that I wanted it sent in a box. Lo and behold, they did so, and the replacement book I received was in much better condition.

Just another great experience I've had with Amazon's customer service. Hope all goes similarly well with your Dissidia guide.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your support. I hope so too, and now that I hear you had a successful replacement just specifying over the internet that you wanted your book in the box I kind of regret doing it over the phone instead. The guy's email was nice, but I felt my request for a box instead was overlooked (I would have felt better if he mentioned it in the email). Guess that's why these things should always be in writing. Oh well, I have faith in Amazon and if the same problem does occur, I'll just specify over the internet and if worse comes worst, I'll just get a refund. :D

[quote name='VagueSimplicity']Thanks for your support. I hope so too, and now that I hear you had a successful replacement just specifying over the internet that you wanted your book in the box I kind of regret doing it over the phone instead. The guy's email was nice, but I felt my request for a box instead was overlooked (I would have felt better if he mentioned it in the email). Guess that's why these things should always be in writing. Oh well, I have faith in Amazon and if the same problem does occur, I'll just specify over the internet and if worse comes worst, I'll just get a refund. :D[/QUOTE]
I'm sure it'll be fine :) I've no idea why they sent my book out in a bubble mailer to begin with - that's the only time they've done that with me. Hopefully there are/will be enough complaints like ours that they'll use boxes, and only boxes, for shipping books.

bread's done
Back