Things That Grind Your Gears While Shopping

[quote name='KtMack23']I'm telling you, you can never please a CAG.[/QUOTE]

Haha, so true. I have no problem being approached, and I'm the most socially awkward person I know. It's not like I'm a celebrity. "How dare you waste my time." I know at many stores it's their job to approach people and their performance is graded too much on secret shopper scores.

The only time I get upset is when I'm approached by three different people for help and then when I go to checkout only one register is open, with a long line. Circuit City was the worst and Best Buy is picking up the slack. I've pointed that out to a manager a couple times, but really, why do I need to point out the obvious. When someone is willing to buy something, don't annoy them by making them wait.

[quote name='Nogib']Basically to me the absolute worth thing is being approached by ANY employee. If I don't actively seek you out, don't even fucking come near me since I DO NOT need any help whatsoever. Kindly die in a fire and leave me alone until such time I may (rarely) need your stupid help locating something you have misplaced in your store.[/QUOTE]

Walmart_unique_business_t1.jpg

It's called the "10-foot rule" that nearly all retailers abide by. It's also used to deter theft. Don't blame the employees for doing their jobs. If you want it to stop, do some white-knighting for us and complain to home office and tell them to stop with the 10-foot rule shit, because I hate it just as much as you.

The same people who complain about getting asked for help are the same ones who complain when no one asks them for help lol.

[quote name='Drkmage']The same people who complain about getting asked for help are the same ones who complain when no one asks them for help lol.[/QUOTE]

Not me. Unless I actually need help, the only one I want talking to me is the cashier. And even then, no conversations. There's a reason I never take off my headphones.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']The fact that every Wal-Mart employee I glance at looks like they have either Downs or some kind of mental handicapping disorder. Might explain why none of them can ever help me, so whenever I go to Wal-Mart it's in and out as quickly as possible. I don't want the stupid rubbing off on me.[/QUOTE]

Nice to see you're so tolerant of disabilities.

You know what really grinds my gears?

Overly friendly sales associates and people standing in the middle of aisles hollering on the cell phone while their cart takes up 3/4th of the space. Ugh!

I've had sales associates follow me around and give me their opinion on literally every item I pick up to look at, or the worst... that sales rep at Gamestop that has a friend that's played every game out there

[quote name='Monoxide1986']The fact that every Wal-Mart employee I glance at looks like they have either Downs or some kind of mental handicapping disorder. Might explain why none of them can ever help me, so whenever I go to Wal-Mart it's in and out as quickly as possible. I don't want the stupid rubbing off on me.[/QUOTE]

From this post, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about. :lol:

[quote name='Monoxide1986']The fact that every Wal-Mart employee I glance at looks stupid and are fairly dumb in general. Might explain why none of them can ever help me, so whenever I go to Wal-Mart it's in and out as quickly as possible. I don't want the stupid rubbing off on me.[/QUOTE]

Quit while you're ahead. It did not sound better.

So looks are now related to bring dumb? Jessica Simpson must have a Ph.D. in astrophysics. And you know at least half of Walmart employees, else you wouldn't be able to make such a generalization, right?

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Alright, whatever. I'm just gonna delete the posts. Walmart sucks, end of discussion.[/QUOTE]

So you've been to every Walmart to be able to say that?
Kidding. Walmart does suck.

I have another one to add, cashiers that lick their fingers to open a plastic bag. It's gross especially when you are buying food items (I have been in line, see a cashier lick their fingers and then leave that line). Yesterday at KMart, the cashier I had not only licked their fingers to open the bags but they were sneezing and coughing too. I probably should have just said to cancel the transaction but threw out the bags as soon as I walked out of the store. I

I try to wash my hands immediately after I am in contact with any cashier that appears visibly ill. I haven't seen anyone lick their fingers in years but I would imagine that is reportable to the health department especially if it is happening around food. Really though, anyone dealing with the public who is visibly ill should be sent home, I know there are germs everywhere but it is extraordinarily disgusting when you have to take change from a cashier with snot all over their hands.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Alright, whatever. I'm just gonna delete the posts. Walmart sucks, end of discussion.[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with what you originally said. Too many people are giant children and get so easily 'offended'. I know it's cool to be all touchy and PC these days, but stop it, everyone. I work with Special Olympics and love 'handicapped' people. I also agree that everyone working at Walmart looks they have a few extra chromosomes. I'm sure there isn't anything medically 'wrong' with a single one of them. They're just a bunch of gimps. lol

[quote name='foster1887']Self Serve checkouts where customers have full carts of food. So annoying.[/QUOTE]

Speedy checkout 15 or less and the person has a full shopping cart while you only have a few items.

[quote name='skiizim']Speedy checkout 15 or less and the person has a full shopping cart while you only have a few items.[/QUOTE]

15 items is never a speedy checkout especially since folks at walmart tend to buy stuff in bulk or big items

Parents of shithead little kids. Kids will act up in stores, it's just a fact. Continually letting them act up is on the parents. I was at a local store and this kid was running up and down the isle knocking stuff of the shelves and running into peoples carts. If I would've been doing that I would've gotten my ass whipped. He took a wrong angle or something when he hit my cart and ended up smacking his head on the ground pretty hard when he tripped. This crazy ass lady, who had been talking on her phone for the last 5 minutes, not even looking at the kid, immediately starts screaming and jumps in my face talking about how I touched her kid and she is gonna sue me and she saw me trip the kid. Took every ounce of my self control to not do something I would regret later.

I ended up telling her there was no way she saw anything as she was too damn busy with her phone stuck to her head to notice her kid being a little shithead. You think I touched your kid, go have an employee check the video, I'll wait. Afterward, when you realize you were being a bitch you can come back and apologize like a grownup. She was silent, I'm assuming she was used to people just backing down to her and never got that reaction, and I walked off.

Worst part about that is that I came up with so many better things to say while I was walking away that I wanted to go back and just keep going.

Ok here is what happend with my Sam's club gift card. My mom went to pay for a purchase with a gift card, she only used a partial amount of the gift card, and was supposed to receive the original gift card she payed with about $8 on it. When she got the gift card back it was a different card because this one had $10 on it and it was used. The only thing we can figure is that the cashier switched the gift cards on us, and gave us a used gift card instead of the one we were supposed to get back. We could not have possibly used the card as it was used at a time neither of us was in the club.

We finally got the refund gift card in the mail today.

I have seen kids misbehaving in stores but never to the point where they were running through the aisles destroying stuff. Most people don't shop with their kids here, and if they do they are either sitting in a stroller with an electronic device or sitting in the shopping cart with one. I do think in some cases the parents are probably behaving way worse than the kids, which in turn leads the child to misbehave as well, especially if this is something they see constantly.

A father was buying each of his kids a toy (note one toy). The little one wanted two. Of course father says no and the kid starts wailing and stomping. Dad gets mad and says really loud (not yelling but a firm tone, kind of like drill sergeant loud). "I said one toy and now you get none. We are paying for your brother's and sister's and going home." Of course this makes the kid's wail go supersonic (UGH). While in line to pay, some lady reprimands the father for abusing his kid (cause he was holding to the kid's arm). The father just gave her a stare and said "Lady, this is my family and none of your godamn business. So don't even talk to me or my kids." Of course the lady talks smack, but I was annoyed with the kid's wailing so I left without observing the outcome of the situation.

If you guys were the father, what would you do? (just to keep somewhat on topic, I dislike the parents who do absolutely nothing when their kid starts wailing).

I see what JP described all the time, don't get me wrong I horse around with my daughter but when people are around I put a stop to it and she knows (for the most part) to stop also.

[quote name='pcktlnt']
If you guys were the father, what would you do? (just to keep somewhat on topic, I dislike the parents who do absolutely nothing when their kid starts wailing).[/QUOTE]

Actually, that is a pretty decent parenting technique. When the kid realizes his whining won't get his dad to buy him a toy, he shuts up. Placating a kid who cries and whines all the time is just as bad as ignoring them all the time. Good parenting requires a balance.

[quote name='DNukem170']Actually, that is a pretty decent parenting technique. When the kid realizes his whining won't get his dad to buy him a toy, he shuts up. Placating a kid who cries and whines all the time is just as bad as ignoring them all the time. Good parenting requires a balance.[/QUOTE]

Oops, I should have been more clear. I liked what the dad did to punish his son. No physical abuse, no verbal abuse, just straight up, you aren't behaving so no reward. I was just a bit annoyed by the wailing to stay and observe the outcome of the father and the second customer.

[quote name='pcktlnt']Oops, I should have been more clear. I liked what the dad did to punish his son. No physical abuse, no verbal abuse, just straight up, you aren't behaving so no reward. I was just a bit annoyed by the wailing to stay and observe the outcome of the father and the second customer.[/QUOTE]

It'd be easier if it was one kid in that situation, because you can take the wailing kid out of the store. In this case, he couldn't punish the other two kids who were behaving.

[quote name='pcktlnt']If you guys were the father, what would you do? (just to keep somewhat on topic, I dislike the parents who do absolutely nothing when their kid starts wailing).[/QUOTE]
I would've done the same thing. Hell my parents did stuff like that. They had it easier when they did it to me as I was the only kid until I was 7-8 years old. It's a lot easier to do the, well you are getting nothing now, and walking right out.

I always hate when other people get involved/commenting on how spanking is child abuse or denying them something will irreparably damage them. People like that are why we have parents scared of kids, why we have a generation of entitled little brats, and kids who can't deal with the real world once they get out of the nest.

That sounded like good enough to me (parenting that is). I try not to get in anybody's business when it comes to parenting.
Had one occasion in which a lady just got too close to my situation for me to care to listen to her:
My son is autistic, and sometimes (quite often) repeats sentences and phrases without rhyme or reason. It's called Echolalia, and it's quite common in autistic children.

So, one day I'm shopping at ToysRus, and as I'm checking out, I noticed that she's mumbling to the cashier. She was claiming that I was such a bad person because according to her rules I had left the shopping basket in her way. So, I turned around and I tell her how it's not her place to tell me exactly where the basket goes (there usually is no good place to put them at ToysRus once you're done). She then proceeds to tell me how my son is the way he is because I'm a bad father.
I fucking lost it, and went on some rant that I'm sure made her feel quite small. Sometimes (not always) there're conditions that these kids have that make them act the way they do...not always obvious. So, it's best to just observe from a distance, and let it go:lol:

Sounds like a fine technique to me, I don't have kids so I definitely cannot say what is right or wrong and obviously there probably is no right or wrong when it comes to parenting as long as you aren't doing nothing when your kid is acting up. My grandparents used to take their kid to the car if they were doing something wrong in the store, of course there were 2 parents so this meant one would sit in the car with the bad kid while the other finished the shopping. If you got taken to the car then you got punished when you got home and it believe me you were in for it thus the misbehavior probably didn't happen again. It's funny I hear stories about my parents but that describes about one tantrum per year, now it seems like kids have one full out tantrum per day or week, what is going on here?

[quote name='pcktlnt']Oops, I should have been more clear. I liked what the dad did to punish his son. No physical abuse, no verbal abuse, just straight up, you aren't behaving so no reward. I was just a bit annoyed by the wailing to stay and observe the outcome of the father and the second customer.[/QUOTE]

Kids shouldn't expect rewards for everything they do. Adults don't even get recognition for a lot of the things they do/try to do, but they (responsible ones) still keep on treading through. Enjoy what you earn; don't rely on expectations, rely on your own personal actions & achievements to bring you further in life. Nothing is gained from hope alone. Ever.

I'm not even saying that kids should expect nothing...just that they should expect less.

It's funny I hear stories about my parents but that describes about one tantrum per year, now it seems like kids have one full out tantrum per day or week, what is going on here?

This generation's kids aren't getting beaten often enough. Either that, or they're babied too much/given too much shit. Or a colorful combination of both.

Quoting JP;

[quote name='JP'] I always hate when other people get involved/commenting on how spanking is child abuse or denying them something will irreparably damage them. People like that are why we have parents scared of kids, why we have a generation of entitled little brats, and kids who can't deal with the real world once they get out of the nest.[/QUOTE]

Worst part of it all is that most of these kids are old enough that doing any kind of punishment won't get anywhere with 'em, & the closest form of recognition you'll get is a "fuck you." or "I don't have to do shit."-kind of comment.

Maddox gives some good two cents, in my opinion; http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat. He even gives you several ideas as how to do the punishments! Isn't the internet wonderful?

@JP, All the power to you, man.

EDIT: The excuses people pull out of their asses are just..."Really?/Wtf?"-inducing. Look at number eight:

http://www.naturalchild.org/jan_hunt/tenreasons.html

"Your child will soon discover the erotic fetish of masochistic ass-beating if you spank them during their childhood." ...Sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two kids, and my feeling is that if you have to whoop their ass, in a lot of cases you're exerting more effort than necessary in regards to discipline. Gotta master the technique of the angry dad look lol. Or you gotta know how to talk to them to solve whatever is happening, sometimes just pulling the kid aside and getting down on their level to talk to them in a genuine manner is enough. If you constantly find yourself in situations where hitting your kid is the go-to strategy, it helps neither you or the kid.

I've been in situations where one of my kids has been throwing a fit in a store, and I will take a knee and firmly talk to them about what they are doing, loudly if I have to, I don't care what any other person thinks of me. I don't think I would spank a kid in a store, that opens up a can of worms right there. I give them one firm talking to, and then it's leaving the store with punishment at home.

My dad did one when I acted up in public that I always thought was unique. He'd give me a flick behind the ear, strong enough for me to notice it and it stung. Do that a couple times and I realized shouldn't do that shit if I didn't want to get flicked again. Sounds stupid but that shit stung.

I work a second hand store I hate when people overprice their items they trade in. Yes sir, you're only getting 5 dollars for your copy of WET on 360. I can't give 25 dollars for that game.

[quote name='foster1887']Self Serve checkouts where customers have full carts of food. So annoying.[/QUOTE]
Happended to me just last night. Some old fossil was ahead of me in the self checkout (12 items or less), with a cart full of #$%^& ... and of course modern technology is a mystery to her so it took forever. Couldn't switch to another lane. Why? Guess what. The other 2 self check outs were inhabitated by living corpses too.. with loaded %$^&*( shopping carts! So the lady finally finishes scanning her last %$^&* item.. %^&* green bell peppers.. she is color blind or something so she picks red bell peppers.. whatever. I don't give a ^%&*. NOW the ^%&*( starts alarming because she needs to show ID to prove she's an adult buying something. I have no idea WTF she was buying that needs ID. I had no idea you needed ID in a %^&*( supermarket. So after we waited for the store clerk who looked burnt out on marijuana to come check her AARP ID.. I scanned my oatmeal raisin cookies, swiped my card and went home.

[quote name='JP']My dad did one when I acted up in public that I always thought was unique. He'd give me a flick behind the ear, strong enough for me to notice it and it stung. Do that a couple times and I realized shouldn't do that shit if I didn't want to get flicked again. Sounds stupid but that shit stung.[/QUOTE]

My grandparents tell me that pinching works well, it's a lot more discreet than spanking and it hurts enough where the child won't want to do the behavior that got them to be pinched in the first place. It's also less damaging than spanking and a lot less work and takes only a second, though I wouldn't be doing it constantly.

I don't think there is a need to spank a child in public, and as someone else said its opening up a huge can of worms if you do even if you are barely touching the kid. it can always wait until the parents get home if that is what the parents feel is the correct action. I don't think I have seen a kid spanked in public in at least 20 years for a reason.

From what I have seen what leads to all this misbehavior is immediately buying the kid something if they act up, and moreso not following through when you say you are going to do something. Kids catch on real quick to this, so if you tell them you are going to take away all their electronics (or whatever you tell them you are going to do to them) you better be doing that or else next time they will just repeat the same behavior because they know you won't do anything to them. If a parent buys a toy for a misbehaving kid then it's the parent that has a problem not the kid. Though I don't understand why parents buy huge toys on a whim like that, and yes I have seen it happen, I only got new toys for birthday and Christmas and no other time of year unless I bought it with my own money or it was a hand me down given to me by another parent. Occasionally I would get items from yard sales in the summer but in the 80s finding a yard sale wasn't exactly easy.

When families (or groups of kids) of 4 or more feel the need to walk in a chorus line formation and take up the whole fucking aisle, while strolling along at a leisurely pace. And then none of them will move to let anyone else through. Is it so hard to just pair up or something? I'm not asking for single-file, just leave room for other people to get by.

[quote name='Johnnybeachboy']When I buy something and open it the next day. Sadly, only to find a price drop the next day..... which I cant adjust.[/QUOTE]

You don't need the item to adjust, just the receipt. That policy applies to most retailers.

Also, there is this older indian gentleman that works at a local Target that is so annoying. One time I was looking at the video games and he asked if I needed help and I told him I was just browsing then he stood silently right next to me for about 2 minutes. Didn't say anything, just stood there like he thought I might steal or something. And just today actually, I was walking towards the electronics department, not even to it yet, he stopped what he was doing and walked quickly toward me and quickly asked if I needed help. Anytime I go to that Target and he is there he'll go out of his way to came within two feet of me to ask me if I needed help. Now, I understand it's his job to help customers, but you just have to experience it to understand what I'm talking about. If any of you DFW CAG's have been to the Flower Mound, TX Target, let me know if you've experienced this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the fuck is wrong with some of you people? Especially nogib... You guys that miserable that you're annoyed by somebody trying to help you? If you guys weren't stuck up asshats maybe you would realize there are good employees out there who are knowledgeable to boot.

[quote name='Rumors']What the fuck is wrong with some of you people? Especially nogib... You guys that miserable that you're annoyed by somebody trying to help you? If you guys weren't stuck up asshats maybe you would realize there are good employees out there who are knowledgeable to boot.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind people asking if I need help, but this guy I'm talking about is very abrasive in his approach. It's almost as if he acts like you have broken into his home and browsing his belongings. Such an awkward experience.

bread's done
Back