Things to do in Chicago

Tsel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
328 (100%)
My girlfriend and I are taking a daytrip up to Chicago this upcoming Friday and I'm in charge of the day's plans, but I'm stumped. The Musem of Science and Industry is having a free day that day, so we'll probably check that out, but we've been to most of the museums a few times each throughout our lives through various field trips and whatnot.

To my fellow Illinoisans, what are some fun things to do in Chicago?

Just some ideas besides the museum campus:

- Chicago Winter Delights Festival (goes on for like 2 months so check their schedule) - music, food, crafts, free skating at Grant and Millennium
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra - I think they have Friday afternoon performances
- Chicago boat tour or downtown carriage ride - might be too cold though
- Taste Chicago day tour
- Willis Tower, Hancock Building, the holiday-lighted Buckingham, the Bean, and other picture spots

Good luck!

Lincoln Park Zoo: it's free all the time and very fun to visit in the off-season. Last time I went there it was simply a rainy day and it felt like I had the whole place to myself.

I has the presumption that free zoo = bum dump, but it was better than other paid zoo's I've been to.

Also: (as if I need to mention it), find a nice local joint for some Chicago Stuffed Pizza.

[quote name='Kerig']Lincoln Park Zoo: it's free all the time and very fun to visit in the off-season. Last time I went there it was simply a rainy day and it felt like I had the whole place to myself.

I has the presumption that free zoo = bum dump, but it was better than other paid zoo's I've been to.

Also: (as if I need to mention it), find a nice local joint for some Chicago Stuffed Pizza.[/QUOTE]
Since it'll likely be cold, we'll probably end up doing something that's indoors. As far as pizza goes, Gino's is a must.

[quote name='billyrox']Go to the BEAN! ITS FREE

Hancock Building go up to the Signature lounge for drinks. Great views[/QUOTE]
We always stop and visit the Bean.

[quote name='parKer']Just some ideas besides the museum campus:

- Chicago Winter Delights Festival (goes on for like 2 months so check their schedule) - music, food, crafts, free skating at Grant and Millennium
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra - I think they have Friday afternoon performances
- Chicago boat tour or downtown carriage ride - might be too cold though
- Taste Chicago day tour
- Willis Tower, Hancock Building, the holiday-lighted Buckingham, the Bean, and other picture spots

Good luck![/QUOTE]
I forgot about the Willis Tower. That's actually a good idea. I think I looked at something like the Winter Wonderful festival at Navy Pier and it ended yesterday, but I'll look into the Winter Delights festival.

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a great city. I've only been a few times and the last was for a funeral so I didnt have time to sightsee, but its by far my favorite city to visit. Cant wait to go back out again. Willis Tower is a must visit.

Other great ideas for food....Chicago Pizza Oven Grinder and Big Star. Both are amazing little places that need to be tried at least once.

http://citypass.com We did a city pass while we were there, its not a bad deal and lets you cut in line at some of the attractions, which was clutch at Shedd Aquarium where the line was over 100 yards long out the door.

The glass ledge at Willis was a really unique experience. As for food, we liked Portillos for dogs and Giordanos for pizza. Haven't tried Ginos but the Ray Malnatis(sp?) was a total letdown so we stick with Giordanos since its always great.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hankmecrankme']Watch gang members wage war.[/QUOTE]

They demolished most of Cabrini-Green a few years ago. But, I hear they still hold Fast n' Furious drag racing in Chinatown.

Deep dish is very good at the Exchequer pub.

No idea if it's one of the best spots, but the hotel concierge recommended it last time I was there and it was damn good.

The Bean is neat and free. Architecture boat tours are very good as well, but probably too cold. Hell, I was cold during the lake portion of it in June.

It's a great city--one of my favorites in the US though I've only been twice (both in the past year) for work.

[quote name='parKer']They demolished most of Cabrini-Green a few years ago.[/QUOTE]

Yup. And they all moved up north to places like Waukegan and North Chicago. Lucky us. :/

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Google shows you everything it is your friend. I recommend walmart.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for replying to my thread over a month later, with a smartass comment no less. If you're not going to be helpful, please refrain from posting and keep the weird PMs to yourself.

bread's done
Back