Things you don't see in the media

Grave_Addiction

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I just wanted to show you guys that the military is, in fact, doing good things in Iraq despite what you hear in the media. There are so many agendas in the media, that everything you see is twisted to meet someone's personal gains or beliefs. It's not just straight news anymore. All you see is what the military is doing wrong and when our servicemembers are killed.

040507-F-4539R-001.JPG

[No more tears
5/12/2004 - TALLIL, Iraq -- Staff Sgt. Tracy Praznik wipes away tears from an Iraqi baby's face as she gives his mother water during a visit here May 7. The visit was supporting Operation Reachout, a program started by security forces Airmen to build a friendship with families living around nearby Tallil Air Base. Airmen visit the families weekly and bring them packaged meals, water and candy. Sergeant Praznik is assigned to the 407th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron.

Troops treat villagers near Iraqi post
medbrush2004-05-13.jpg

Army Spc. Elizabeth Jarry, a dental hygienist at Balad Air Base, Iraq, shows villagers of all ages how to brush their teeth during a recent Medical Civic Action Project at a small village in Balad.

medScope2004-05-13.jpg

Air Force Col. John Cinco, 332nd Contingency Aeromedical Staging Facility flight surgeon at Balad Air Base, Iraq, checks an infant Iraqi girl's breathing during a recent Medical Civic Action Project, or MEDCAP.

Marines return to Fallujah, no shots fired
return4lr.jpg

A member of the Iraqi Civil Defense Corps flys the Iraqi flag at the onset of a joint patrols including the ICDC, Iraqi police and the Marines of 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment through Fallujah May 10.

Officer goes above, beyond call of duty, receives Bronze Star
BronzeStar(1)JMN_low.jpg

A rocket explodes next to an officer and other Marines, knocking them to the ground. The first thing he sees after lifting his head are the legs of a 17-year-old Marine shaking under the power of the machine gun in his hands.

While in Iraq, Capt. Shawn M. Basco, pilot, Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 115 servedas a forward air controller, calling in airstrikes and fire support for the Marines of Company B, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. During the fight to control Saddam Hussein’s presidential palace on April 10, 2003, Basco’s unit came under heavy fire, and Basco himself was wounded in the leg by a rocket attack.

More Iraqis accept their US-trained forces
p10a.jpg

Lt. Col. Gregg Olson met with Iraqi Lt. Col. Jubeir Makhlaf Hussein in Fallujah last week. The US-trained Iraq Civil Defense Corps is out front on security.

I can update more as I find them.

I don't know. That first picture sure looks like she's about to punch that kid.

edit: made correction as to gender of soldier

thanks for posting, grave.

it is very true that nowadays all the news/media care about are deaths and wrong doings. It's just very disheartening knowing that good deeds don't sell and no one really cares as much about it.

Well, I couldn't let all this anti-military talk go around without showing some of the good things we are doing in Iraq.

The public perception is getting to a point where everyone thinks we are just bullying Iraqis, which is far, far from the truth. I just want to see balanced news reporting for a change. If you show us something bad, why can't you also show us something good.

I know part of it's because Americans are more interested in what is happening bad in the world rather than what is good, but the media needs to realize the negative effect its having on the military.

How do you think the Soldiers are feeling after they were just notified that they have to spend extra time in Iraq after already serving a year there and are hearing all the bad things they are doing. When, in actuallity, they are doing everything in their power to keep Iraqis, fellow Soldiers and themselves safe.

It's amazing the power a photo and several well-put together words can have. Each side of this complicated and heated topic can produce compelling "evidence" to support its position on this war.

This isn't really the place, but water and candy?

Water and Candy!!?!??! - Finally the magic elixir of world peace is discovered.

No one will remember any of these humanitarian acts if the overall result is a long drawn out defeat.

I’m not trying to spark a flame war here. I just get irritated by government sponsored propaganda, ANY government’s propaganda. Has everyone already forgotten the post 9/11 CIA plan to create fake news stories overseas to improve global opinion of the USA? Know what made them think that plan might be effective? The fact that they do it already – to us.

[quote name='VelvetHammer']It's amazing the power a photo and several well-put together words can have. Each side of this complicated and heated topic can produce compelling "evidence" to support its position on this war.

No one will remember any of these humanitarian acts if the overall result is a long drawn out defeat.

I’m not trying to spark a flame war here. I just get irritated by government sponsored propaganda, ANY government’s propaganda. Has everyone already forgotten the post 9/11 CIA plan to create fake news stories overseas to improve global opinion of the USA? Know what made them think that plan might be effective? The fact that they do it already – to us.[/quote]

Look, the military is trying to convince the local population that they are there to help them. The military's job is to do what they need to do to do their job while trying to minimize the negative effect they have on the local population.

You seem to think the military is full of brainwashed soldiers, when in fact, a lot of them are in the Guard or Reserves and work right alongside you when they aren't serving in the military. These people care for the Iraqis and want to help them. Servicemembers have feelings, despite what you may think.

It doesn't matter what the CIA had planned to do in post-911. Most of these programs are started by lower ranking servicemembers who want to make a difference. They want to help Iraqis.

And yes, I am also against propaganda and any political rhetoric meant to confuse the American public. I have been in the military for four years and have been publishing this so called "propaganda" that you like to call it.

These photos aren't propaganda. They show that the military isn't about killing babies. We are here to defend America and, in this case, defend and help rebuild Iraq.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='VelvetHammer']It's amazing the power a photo and several well-put together words can have. Each side of this complicated and heated topic can produce compelling "evidence" to support its position on this war.

I’m not trying to spark a flame war here. I just get irritated by government sponsored propaganda, ANY government’s propaganda. Has everyone already forgotten the post 9/11 CIA plan to create fake news stories overseas to improve global opinion of the USA? Know what made them think that plan might be effective? The fact that they do it already – to us.[/quote]

Look, the military is trying to convince the local population that they are there to help them. The military's job is to do what they need to do to do their job while trying to minimize the negative effect they have on the local population.

You seem to think the military is full of brainwashed soldiers, when in fact, a lot of them are in the Guard or Reserves and work right alongside you when they aren't serving in the military. These people care for the Iraqis and want to help them. Servicemembers have feelings, despite what you may think.

It doesn't matter what the CIA had planned to do in post-911. Most of these programs are started by lower ranking servicemembers who want to make a difference. They want to help Iraqis.

And yes, I am also against propaganda and any political rhetoric meant to confuse the American public. I have been in the military for four years and have been publishing this so called "propaganda" that you like to call it.

These photos aren't propaganda. They show that the military isn't about killing babies. We are here to defend America and, in this case, defend and help rebuild Iraq.[/quote]

PWNED!

And thanks for posting and showing what is really going on over there.

^^amen.

seriously though, I think some things often get lost in the war/anti-war debate:
1: it is possible to be patriotic and yet not agree with everything the US administration does. its called civil dissent, and we all have a right to it.
2: it is possible to support our troops and recognize the good they do, and yet still wish to remain informed as to the negative side of the occupation.
3: there are not only 2 choices, pro-war or anti-war. It is possible to believe that Saddam should have been removed, but not agree with the way in which the country is now being run.
4: unfortunately for our good-natured troops, it seems that the soldiers who are behaving the worst are taking pictures to prove it!
5: also unfortunately for our troops (and the country as a whole), the Bush administration has some pretty shady dealings with corporations who are profiting from his presidency. This makes it really difficult for Reps and Dems alike (of which i am neither) to take any agenda put forth at face value.

so, in closing I'll say this:
I certainly appreciate the sacrifices our troops are making to serve our country; I wish they weren't having to do it. I don't blame them for the situations they find themselves in; if anything, I feel genuinely sorry for them. They are working their asses off in the damned desert heat for way too long, and then their name is tarnished by the actions of others.

^^my 2 cents

[quote name='organicow']^^amen.

seriously though, I think some things often get lost in the war/anti-war debate:
1: it is possible to be patriotic and yet not agree with everything the US administration does. its called civil dissent, and we all have a right to it.
2: it is possible to support our troops and recognize the good they do, and yet still wish to remain informed as to the negative side of the occupation.
3: there are not only 2 choices, pro-war or anti-war. It is possible to believe that Saddam should have been removed, but not agree with the way in which the country is now being run.
4: unfortunately for our good-natured troops, it seems that the soldiers who are behaving the worst are taking pictures to prove it!
5: also unfortunately for our troops (and the country as a whole), the Bush administration has some pretty shady dealings with corporations who are profiting from his presidency. This makes it really difficult for Reps and Dems alike (of which i am neither) to take any agenda put forth at face value.

so, in closing I'll say this:
I certainly appreciate the sacrifices our troops are making to serve our country; I wish they weren't having to do it. I don't blame them for the situations they find themselves in; if anything, I feel genuinely sorry for them. They are working their asses off in the damned desert heat for way too long, and then their name is tarnished by the actions of others.

^^my 2 cents[/quote]

I totally agree with you. I believe it was necessary to remove Hussein from power because of all the horrible things he was doing to the Iraqis, but we should have never done it without U.N. backing and the help of the U.N.

And WMDs should never have been our primary reason for going over there. They were too easy to get rid of and now it's making us look stupid.

It is disheartening to see our servicemembers being killed for a war that could have been averted, but the reality is that now we are in it. The military has to do its job, despite what the individual servicemember thinks. That's what we are here for.

All I want is to see this war end as soon as possible, the terrorists to go away, the lives ending of both the coalition and Iraqis to be put to a stop and for Iraq to be a healthy, unhostile country.

Ah yes. Apparently you failed to notice my support of the troops in my earlier post. Or is it perhaps because I didn't mention anything about the military?

It's clear my issues are not with the efforts of individuals trying to make a difference. And they really are just my issues - I don't expect support or need support on them.

As a former Service Member I understand the struggles one faces with trying to do your duty to your country, and fulfill your own ideals, while often following orders than you may not completely agree with.

My sarcasm may have been lost on some, but seriously giving candy and water cannot make up for late night home invasions in the name of hunting "insurgents."

I just want what I think the majority of us want:

Honesty from our administration.

Troops returning home safely in parades not funeral processions.

Cessation of behavior that continues to only fuel attacks and anger at America, not reduce it as originally planned.

Thank you. Seacrest – OUT!

[quote name='VelvetHammer']Ah yes. Apparently you failed to notice my support of the troops in my earlier post. Or is it perhaps because I didn't mention anything about the military?

It's clear my issues are not with the efforts of individuals trying to make a difference. And they really are just my issues - I don't expect support or need support on them.

As a former Service Member I understand the struggles one faces with trying to do your duty to your country, and fulfill your own ideals, while often following orders than you may not completely agree with.

My sarcasm may have been lost on some, but seriously giving candy and water cannot make up for late night home invasions in the name of hunting "insurgents."

I just want what I think the majority of us want:

Honesty from our administration.

Troops returning home safely in parades not funeral processions.

Cessation of behavior that continues to only fuel attacks and anger at America, not reduce it as originally planned.

Thank you. Seacrest – OUT![/quote]

Yes, I agree. The truth is the most important thing in the world, I believe. We, as Americans, have a right to know what our government is doing at all times, unless the information, if released, could be a detriment to the country. But that still doesn't give reason to classify everything.

This war is getting uglier and uglier by the day. I knew it from the beginning that the American people wouldn't support a long, drawn-out war. The only way to get the public backing once more, I believe, is if there was another terrorist attack against the continental U.S.

I know that may sound bad, but the American public is all about emotion. When something bad happens to our country, we join together and gain resolve, but it dwindles awfully fast.

I would like to see the administration go the the U.N., apologize for going to war without their consent and ask for U.N. support in Iraq. I know this probably will never happen, but it would be the best thing for all sides, IMO.

A few days ago in my Eastern Cultures class we had a member of the national guard that was in Iraq for awhile, and he said something about how he was disapointed that stuff like this was never in the news.

You don't see this stuff in the news... because the news is, no doubt, mostly negative.

It's what the people want. See, people live off this fear the news feeds them. I mean, what would you rather know: kid saves cat from tree, or killer lion escapes from zoo (in your area, too).

Here's the deal. These pictures wont sell a newspaper! They won't make people watch the tv news! Thats why you don't see it! Nobay wants to tune in and see " In todays news this nice solider gave a flower to a little girl, Ahhh isn't that nice"

Sad but true. The violence sells not the "good" Stuff. Thats the way of our nation and the media. Thanks Grave for showing the little seen. No matter what good we do do there will all ways be just the negitive. Its the money shot.

I dont want to start a war (no pun intended) but we have no right to be there...We think we can police the world and no one will be pissed off...We need to mind our own buissness and protect ourselves and not take over countries...and dont start about how were trying "liberate" them...You cant put a democracy into a country in a matter of years...All they have known is dictator ship and its going to take a long time for it to change...We had no right to go there and we have no right to stay...I'm sorry but I will not and will never support the US trying to govern the world to our own thoughts and beliefs...

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']You seem to think the military is full of brainwashed soldiers, when in fact, a lot of them are in the Guard or Reserves and work right alongside you when they aren't serving in the military.[/quote]

It's certainly not fair to label someone as brainwashed for following orders given to them. Psychological studies done over 40 years ago showed that people were willing to commit acts upon another human being that could be fatal and would continue to do these acts even upon hearing the suffering of the person being acted upon if they were told to continue doing so by an authoritative figure. The studies were done by Stanely Milgram in the wake of WW2, and the results are apparently still shockingly relevant today. The long and the short of it is that all of these soldiers could be men and women that are genuinely good, altruistic people, but the circumstances there have been significant, short-term changes.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Here's the deal. These pictures wont sell a newspaper! They won't make people watch the tv news! Thats why you don't see it! Nobay wants to tune in and see " In todays news this nice solider gave a flower to a little girl, Ahhh isn't that nice"[/quote]

It's depressing how right you are here. We are a nation of people who are lead by fear. The news media has homed in on everything horrible happening in our country and in the world, but neglects any positive events. For some reason, we, the American public, all seem to love tragedy, not joy.

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']You seem to think the military is full of brainwashed soldiers, when in fact, a lot of them are in the Guard or Reserves and work right alongside you when they aren't serving in the military.[/quote]

It's certainly not fair to label someone as brainwashed for following orders given to them. Psychological studies done over 40 years ago showed that people were willing to commit acts upon another human being that could be fatal and would continue to do these acts even upon hearing the suffering of the person being acted upon if they were told to continue doing so by an authoritative figure. The studies were done by Stanely Milgram in the wake of WW2, and the results are apparently still shockingly relevant today. The long and the short of it is that all of these soldiers could be men and women that are genuinely good, altruistic people, but the circumstances there have been significant, short-term changes.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Here's the deal. These pictures wont sell a newspaper! They won't make people watch the tv news! Thats why you don't see it! Nobay wants to tune in and see " In todays news this nice solider gave a flower to a little girl, Ahhh isn't that nice"[/quote]

It's depressing how right you are here. We are a nation of people who are lead by fear. The news media has homed in on everything horrible happening in our country and in the world, but neglects any positive events. For some reason, we, the American public, all seem to love tragedy, not joy.[/quote]

Exactly. If you've ever seen Bowling for Columbine you'll know what i mean. Drama creates attention. Drama is more appealing then goodness. Therefore, the army-guy-giving-flower-to-Iraqi-girl will go considerably lower before the one army dude shot the shit out of an Iraqi soldier because of hostile movements. Drama is traumatic. Drama creates paranoia. I'm serious. We live in the most secure and safe country you could ever ask for, with the most powerful army in the world and the most powerful and wealthiest nation no doubt. But yet because of all the violence on the streets everyone is paranoid. Like in bowling for columbine, people in Canada had their doors open. Here in america, go ahead and try to open someone's door. Most likely it will be locked and if its around 10 a clock at night you'll most likely see some burly guy standing next to the window either screaming, on the phone with the cops or loading his shotgun and giving you a menacing glare. Ok, so maybe i'm exaggerating a LITTLE. But the point is that we're all paranoid. And it's cool to be violent and to kill other people from mankind supposedly or so the world thinks so. But really it's the news that gets us this way. You'd be surprised how many people do stupid violent things partly or mostly just to get tremendous amounts of media attention. Hell, if Marilyn Monroe grew about one size fatter, the entire world would know. That's how the news is. They look for any story out there that creates paranoia and stress. You may not see it now, but it's clouded all around you. And the commercials everywhere? Don't even get me started. It's sick.

This is why I fully support the war in Iraq. It really pisses me off when people judge you on the mistakes you might make and totally ignore the bigger picture and all of the good that has been done. The news media only likes concentrating on the negative. The liberalized news media brain washed the American public into believing that we should be scared out of our pants at the mention of drugs criminals or gun. It is also the fault of the liberalized media that the majority of you do not like George W Bush. Have you actually listened to the policies that he is promoting? They are strong and reasonable. After taking economics i support those policies even more. I accept that everyone is entitled to their opinion but a ask you to put aside the negative things you may have heard from the news media that ain't substantiated. and the ones at are I ask you to weigh that against the good he has done (i.e. help the USA through 911)

Wow, d_m, you certainly are being one-sided. What a mindless, right-wing drone you are. The right wing is what's brainwashing people. People don't like George W. Bush because they DON'T LIKE GEORGE W. BUSH. But you don't seem to understand how that could be possible. How could someone possibly think differently from you?
And you know what else? People that support drugs are morons.

What's funny is that just a year ago you hated him...

[quote name='drunken_master']The liberalized news media brain washed the American public into believing that we should be scared out of our pants at the mention of drugs criminals or gun.[/quote]

I don't know what news media you're tuning into, but any news source I know of ranges from a neutral stance on liberal/conservative issues to an extremely conservative stance. I don't know of any highly liberalized news media.
Also, how can you say that liberals want people to be terrified of criminals/guns/etc? If the liberals were so afraid of criminals, you'd think that they would be for the death penalty, right? Which they aren't.

Edit: Another thing...
[quote name='drunken_master']It is also the fault of the liberalized media that the majority of you do not like George W Bush.[/quote]

It would be more fair to say that it's the media's fault that people liked Bush and didn't like Gore. During the 2000 election campaigns, there was a much higher good-to-bad articles written about Bush than there were about Gore.
The only media which I can think of that may have changed people's minds about Bush is the Howard Stern Show, which only became liberal, in a sense, after the FCC started coming after them - before Stern faced pressure from the FCC, he was very pro-Bush, although he wouldn't admit it now.

i can't respect any war where the families of dead soldiers aren't allowed to meet the remains at the airport. thats just fucking ridiculous.

I dont want to start a war. But just imagine that Iraqis or any other country invaded your town, your city; taking control of everything, soldiers patrolling every where, combat with your country's soldiers. What would you feel? Especially that the invader has neither convincing nor right reasons.

No matter how hard they try to explain that they come to free your country. Would you believe them? Would you trust them? Would you welcome them?

China, North Korea have MDW as well. Why not the US just invade them and bring democracy over there.

The government just uses flowery words and excuses to start the war. The fact is that the coalition force is not "COALITION" at all! Most countries in this world are against this war.

No matter how good those soldiers are. No matter how tragetically they die and sacrifice for this country. No body in Iraqi would appreciate it. And they are not supposed to appreciate it.

Al Sadr is now the biggest threat in Falujah. The thing is that even though this guy is hostile to the US force. Can anybody prove that he has relationship to the terrorists? He is defending his country against the invader! It is different from terrorists!

Besides, Isreal is killing Palestinian every day. Palestinians take revenge once awhile.
Why doesn't Bush invade Isreal to protect the peach in Gaza?
Why does Bush support Isreal all the time? One of the biggest reason that the mid-east hate our country is that we support Isreal to establish their country.
Can anyone tell me why we support Iseral? Why we have to do such thing to piss off everybody in that area? Does it bring anything good as return?

actually its WMD's...WTF (and thats Who not What for the "W") calls people "Evil Doers"...Im sorry who in their right mind wants to follow a leader that is supposed to represent our country...Also who the hell would want to fight a war for such a man? Not I...George Bush is a hack and should have never come to office...You may be blinded by all this media bullshit that tells you bush is doing great on this "War on terroism"...Ummm...How many attacks on US have their been...ONE...So why are WE in there trying to take control...and yes we are taking control...We have armed men,we have stationed OUR OWN hospitals and we are starting a form of government...You think that we "accidentally" bombed a hospital...and then the Red Cross "happened" to build one in its place? Give me a brake...We shouldnt be there...END OF STORY...We have NO VALID reason to be there...Try to give me ONE valid reason and I will see how "valid" this WAR ON TERRORISM really is...Oh im sorry I meant THE WAR ON THE EVIL DOERS

I totally agree with you that it was necessary to remove Hussein from power because of all the horrible things he was doing to the Iraqis.

But it is none business with the US at all. There are so many crazy governments in this world. Should US soldier die for removing every such governments?

There are many different ways to remove Hussein. Invasion is the worst and most stupid approach. This is different from the golf war last time. The last time, the goal was to get Hueesin's army out of Kuweit. This time is to invade and control a whole country that you are not even familiar with.

In the US, if the government decides to ban gun/weapon business, a lot of people would be pissed off! Then why would you expect Iraqi millitants to surrender their weapons to the invader

I totally agree with you that it was necessary to remove Hussein from power because of all the horrible things he was doing to the Iraqis.

But it is none business with the US at all. There are so many crazy governments in this world. Should US soldier die for removing every such governments?

There are many different ways to remove Hussein. Invasion is the worst and most stupid approach. This is different from the golf war last time. The last time, the goal was to get Hueesin's army out of Kuweit. This time is to invade and control a whole country that you are not even familiar with.

In the US, if the government decides to ban gun/weapon business, a lot of people would be pissed off! Then why would you expect Iraqi millitants to surrender their weapons to the invader

I 100% support the US soldiers. They are trained to follow orders. I am totally against the Bush Administration who started this stupid war for no reason. Free-Iraqis? Come on, Give me a break.

I work in media as an editor and I must agree with the orginal post. I see it every day where the station I work at uses fear as a way to get ratings. And it's kinda sad, but it works, even better than reporting on "good" deeds.

everyone acts so shocked that only the bad stuff is reported and they play the blame game for who is responsible, but all you need to do is turn on your tv at 6 or 11. Each day the local news fills us to the brim with murders, fires, rapes, mugging, shooting etc. I personally dont watch any part of the news. Its our society where crap like this sells. We need to examine why we are so drawn to crap that it avoids good deeds from even being recognized.

Not to harp on this much more but certain video games that offer no limits are right up there with the crappy news. How often in games like that are u rewarded for the good or for something that takes a lot of work to accomplish, not that often. ITs all about instant gradification and negative outcomes.

WOW. You didn't have to send me an entire site against the movie. A brief mention and you just send out this hate site almost immediately about Bowling for columbine. I'm not about to get into facts here either, who knows the guy who made it might be a loony or whatever but that's not my point. My only point i was referencing about that movie was that he went around to people's houses in Canada and attempted to open their doors, and they actually were open, unlike ours in the US, because ^ read above post.

But uh, thanks for caring, if you thought that i'd be interested enough to look into every single article;).

I just find it funny that Clinton can lie about a BJ and he has to be impeached because he's corrupting the morals of America. But Bush & Co. can lie all the time leading us to war and the conservatives are so quiet.

I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused...

Eventually he did, but that doesn't stop the neo-cons from trotting out his quote that he "never had a relationship with that woman."

Clinton - Good President, Bad Husband
Bush - vice versa

[quote name='MrBadExample']Eventually he did, but that doesn't stop the neo-cons from trotting out his quote that he "never had a relationship with that woman."

Clinton - Good President, Bad Husband
Bush - vice versa[/quote]

Or so you THINK... for all that we know anyway :p

What- he has a kid?
Wholy shit, you learn something new every day I suppose.
Even though school's teaching me absolutely nothing right now.. so it's good to have another outlet of information to come to.

Yep, twin girls that like to drink underage and get the Secret Service to bail out their boyfriends.

But substance abuse seems to run in the family - Dubya, Neil, Jenna...

But remember, Clinton was evil because he once tried marijuana.

Wholy shit? An ex-president pot smoker? HIPPIE! OUTCAST! STONER! POTHEAD! lol j/k. about half of teens will try pot eventually.who knows, maybe more. i'm not a statistical person.

And on an interesting fact, I heard that long ago my town had a fruit stand, though they got shut down because they were growing pot in the back XD. Why didn't they just get a weed whacker?

bread's done
Back