ThinkGeek: Original Sega Dreamcast Console (OOS)

fakero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
ThinkGeek has more brand new Dreamcasts in stock!
Extra controllers available for $14.99 a pop.

ba52_sega_dreamcast_console_parts.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/ba52/

Use promo code PUZZLING for $10 off your purchase (of $40 or more).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this post, While I just got done buying a sealed Dreamcast from Ebay 2 weeks ago...$89......I do need extra controllers, and the only "new" controllers on Ebay seem to be the UK versions with the blue swirl, hopefully these are the USA versions with the orange swirl

In for 2

Does anyone know where to get the V.M.U.s new or mint other than eBay?

And I was on their "email when back in stock" list and did not get any email, so I am kind of pissed.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']You know where we can get brand new DC systems for less?[/QUOTE]

There are several places that have them for the same price (including Sega Parts which is Sega's authorized service and parts distributor) and a lot of Ebay dealers that have them for $10-$20 less and don't charge tax or less shipping. So, yes there are places to get this same deal or better without worrying about whether or not this place has it in stock.

[quote name='bojay1997']There are several places that have them for the same price (including Sega Parts which is Sega's authorized service and parts distributor) and a lot of Ebay dealers that have them for $10-$20 less and don't charge tax or less shipping. So, yes there are places to get this same deal or better without worrying about whether or not this place has it in stock.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Not to mention that if you are in the market for a DC, this isn't exactly the most efficient way to go. You're better off going to ebay and buying a preowned set of console and titles; otherwise, you'll be spending a lot of time and energy finding games on this console. That said, even buying a preowned set, you're likely to be spending considerable sums of cash to acquire the key titles.

Personally, while the DC is a great console with great games, if you missed the boat and are tight on cash, you're better off passing at this point. Getting your mitts on titles such as Project Justice, Tech Romancer, or Mark of the Wolves would be costly, and I'm not too convinced the rest of the lineup matters very much anymore given the re-releases or updates. For instance:

Marvel v Capcom 2--> Well, we know where this is coming now
Sonic Adventures 1 and 2 --> Both on the Gamecube and updated
Jet Grind Radio --> Jet Set Radio Future for Xbox is better, trust me.
Skies of Arcadia --> On the Gamecube, and better for it ... again, trust me.
Soul Calibur --> 2 is better and on all the old gens (and cheaper)
Crazy Taxi --> If you've played one, you've played 'em all
RE: Code Veronica --> It's RE, it's everywhere (Sure, this one's probably the best version, but seriously)
Shenmue --> The first one is completely told on the DVD packed w/ Shenmue 2 for XBOX; Shenmue 2 for DC benefited b/c all the voice acting was in its original Japanese with English subtitiles (SO MUCH better than the English VO we got stateside in Shenmue 1). However, that version of DC's Shenmue 2 was only released in Europe so you'd have to import a PAL version and also buy a Gameshark or other product (i.e. DC-x) to play it. My advice? Just get Yakuza 1/2 for PS2 instead -- It's Shenmue, only much better.
Street Fighter: 3rd Strike -- On SF Anniversary Collection for PS2/Xbox
Grandia II -- On the PS2; sure, not the best port but buying a DC to play this is silly, IMHO
Space Channel 5 1/2 -- On the PS2, and can be had for

[quote name='bojay1997']There are several places that have them for the same price (including Sega Parts which is Sega's authorized service and parts distributor) and a lot of Ebay dealers that have them for $10-$20 less and don't charge tax or less shipping. So, yes there are places to get this same deal or better without worrying about whether or not this place has it in stock.[/QUOTE]

I've only found one on ebay for $85 w/free shipping. I don't consider something of the same price to be cheaper, but it's nice to know sega-parts is even still around, so thanks. That's something to keep in mind for the future.

[quote name='romeogbs19']

Jet Grind Radio --> Jet Set Radio Future for Xbox is better, trust me. [/quote]
yeah, dude sure, whatever.

Your always neglecting to mention technical issues of various ports that would either make the DC versions more or less desirable. Third Strike on DC has input lag and some other changes from the arcade version and the ps2/xbox ports are much more faithful to the original. Garou: Mark of the Wolves is just a mess on DC if you wanna play it seriously, and it's coming to XBLA anyway.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']yeah, dude sure, whatever.

Your always neglecting to mention technical issues of various ports that would either make the DC versions more or less desirable. Third Strike on DC has input lag and some other changes from the arcade version and the ps2/xbox ports are much more faithful to the original. Garou: Mark of the Wolves is just a mess on DC if you wanna play it seriously, and it's coming to XBLA anyway.[/QUOTE]

And you seem to be neglecting the point of my post.

I mentioned 3rd Strike as an example of a game NOT worth getting a DC for b/c it's available elsewhere. And as for Mark of the Wolves, you're right -- it is headed to XBL (Correction made) -- which only furthers my point that getting a DC now is not $$$ well spent.

Thus, I fail to see what you're getting at. If you're commenting on my lack of technical differences, I don't think that really matters to anyone beyond the collector or hardcore gamer. Besides, my point was that DC's key games have been ported over and are superior elsewhere.

And as for MoW being a "mess" -- that's exactly why I said you need a different controller (the DC controller is not well suited for fighters).

Next time, read more closely AND TO THE END before going around and pointing fingers or making arguments. You'll sound at least a little more credible.

What I was pointing out is that just because it's ported elsewhere doesn't automatically make the DC version inferior (though I should have used better examples, it just struck me as odd that you mentioned those fighters and not any of the glaring faults they had).

romeogbs19, for the most part I agree, I really enjoyed the DC and it was a much better serving of games imo than the Saturn, but almost all those gems can be found elsewhere or with better versions. I still wonder what would have happened if used DVDs and was not so easily pirated. Funny story, I was changing out my fuel pump in my civic hatch on Sunday and while getting out the backseats I found a dreamcast wedged in the back. It must have been there for years and I totally forgot about it. I have 3 all together. Paid 99.99 for the first one through some early early deals website back in 1999 and had the other two given to me.

As far as deals go, I hate to say it, but ebay is a better option unless you are looking for a new one.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']What I was pointing out is that just because it's ported elsewhere doesn't automatically make the DC version inferior (though I should have used better examples, it just struck me as odd that you mentioned those fighters and not any of the glaring faults they had).[/QUOTE]

I hear you on that, but MY point was about cost. The minute differences in input aren't that drastic (I have the games on multiple platforms so I know what you're talking about). The lags aren't -- say -- nearly as bad as Metal Slug Anthology on the PSP vs. the PS2, for example. I don't think the people who are buying the DC now are the hardcore -- more likely nostalgia-seekers. Let's face it, hardcore gamers already have our DCs and our arcade sticks, blah, blah, that we got not too long after this baby launched on 9.9.1999.

Thus, MY point is that in terms of money (this is CAG, after all), that the major DC titles are not so exclusive or so much better that it justifies buying the console through ThinkGeek to play them.

Now, there are some DC titles that will likely never appear anywhere else (Project Justice, Seaman, to name a few). But are any of these WORTH buying a DC for?

Well, from my perspective, probably not.

[quote name='Theenternal']...[/QUOTE]

I don't think piracy killed the DC as much as people believe. Before its launch, I remember many people did not know about it at all or were waiting for the PS2 because the PS1 was such a hit. During that era, the Sony brand was at its peak, and the PS2 had enormous marketing buzz. The Sega Saturn and 32x ruined Sega's chances from the beginning of the DC's lifecycle.

The only disc-based system never hacked is the PS3, and its in a distant third place in the console race.

On my primary note, for those interested in a DC, here are other unique (not necessarily good) / cool / desirable titles not listed on this thread:

Aerowing 1 + 2
Bangai-O - I like this version better than DS.
Bleemcast! MGS
Daytona USA
Deep Fighter
Giga Wing 1 + 2
Gundam 0079
Hydro Thunder - pretty straight arcade port
Illbleed
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Marvel Vs. Capcom 1
Mortal Kombat Gold - not really good, but it's the only system you can get this title on
Record of Lodoss War - I put WAAAAAAAAAY too many hours into this game
Sword of the Berserk - I wish the PS2 version came out to the US :(
Typing of the Dead - Don't type too slow or you will just die! :)
Vampire Chronicle JP - Although, something similar is on PSP.
Zombie Revenge
*A lot of great imports that will never make it to the US - Frame Gride, Border Down, etc.

The DC was a neat little system. I would definitely buy one for the great import titles, but I wouldn't break my bank for it. For a $100, many buyers can get a like new one with quite a few good games and accessories.

Given the boxstyle, it seems to be a later release DC, which both lacks the ability to play CD-Rs (for bypass discs for import games) and a more poor quality of GD ROM drive. I'd look for an 1999 or 2000 used system personally if the price is right. 100 is a lot for someone just looking to play a Dreamcast.

[quote name='fairtrade']The SegaCD, 32X, and Saturn killed the Dreamcast before it even launched.[/QUOTE]

Agreed in part. What really killed the DC was a combination of this and the specter of the PlayStation 2. Coming off the heels of PSOne, consumers were excited about the pending arrival of the PS2. The DC became more of an time-filler between generations for the hardcore gamers dying to play something new until the PS2 launched. Those who could afford it or loved Sega jumped in, most sat on the sidelines.

And well, we all know what happened.

One more factor that doesn't get spoken about too much is EA's decision to not support the DC. I think that played a huge part in dooming the console. I remember when I first read that news. My immediate reaction was, well, there goes the Dreamcast.

That said, I still picked it up because Capcom assured gamers it planned to support the DC full force ;-) I still remember when I saw the first videos of Code Veronica. Wow. Just wow. That game sold me.

Considering they were selling for $50, some probably think it's a rip-off. However, for those looking to play all legitimate games, this is great. Wish I could go back in time and buy Canon Spike.

OOS - says "Dreamcast console" not in stock, but that the extra controllers are.

btw, you can find these on ebay for like $60-$70 usually, unless its gone up

[quote name='equest943']Considering they were selling for $50, some probably think it's a rip-off. However, for those looking to play all legitimate games, this is great. Wish I could go back in time and buy Canon Spike.[/QUOTE]

It's an okay title -- I was fortunate to pick it up as one of the last games for my DC (I have 32 titles on the console). It's fun while it lasts but it's far too short. It is cool to play as Mega Man and Cammy, though.

I know what you mean about going back in time. I bought the vast number of my DC games when everyone was going ga-ga over the PS2, so I paid almost next to nothing for most titles as retailers needed to clear the aisles, recognizing the DC's days were numbered.

Picked up Project Justice and MvC2 for $10-$15 each. Canon Spike I ended up ordering from a retail site (J&R, I recall) for around $10. Power Stone 2 was being clearanced at $10 so picked that up, too. I wish I'd picked up a few other titles, though I pretty much have all the major ones.

Oddly enough, my favorite DC game is Space Channel 5 Part 2 -- I imported the Japanese version w/ a SE Ulala clock. The PS2 version (which I picked up for $5 from CC) doesn't look as good but has Apollo Smile's VO ;-) The DC version is more colorful and clearly looks better compared to the PS2's. Not a big difference, but I guess I just like my games with the original Japanese VO. That's also why I grabbed Shenmue 2 while I was in the UK. So much better VO vs. the English VO in the Xbox version.

Not really a deal, since they're all over the place (even new). Probably available at gamequestdirect, estarland, and a boatload of other online game stores.

[quote name='fairtrade']The SegaCD, 32X, and Saturn killed the Dreamcast before it even launched in the US.[/quote]
Fixed that for you. Saturn sold extremely well in Japan. Sold like shit in the US, no thanks to Bernie Stolar and his dumbass policies, as well as killing off the Saturn with absolutely NOTHING to follow it up until a year later.

The PS2 killed Dreamcast in Japan, while a combination of multiple things killed it in the US (especially pirating).

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Given the boxstyle, it seems to be a later release DC, which both lacks the ability to play CD-Rs (for bypass discs for import games) and a more poor quality of GD ROM drive. I'd look for an 1999 or 2000 used system personally if the price is right. 100 is a lot for someone just looking to play a Dreamcast.[/quote]
Just wanna point out that I have a DC from 2001 and it plays burned games without problem. There's three types of the standard DC model and there's a very few amount that could not play them. Those ones were pretty much made near the end of its life. So I'd say you'd probably have a 10% chance of actually running into one of those.

[quote name='Vegan']Yakuza, a substitute for Shenmue 1? I think not.[/QUOTE]

Yakuza is probably the closest thing to the spiritual successor of Shenmue that's out there, in terms of gameplay and design (Fetches/Quests? Check. QTEs? Check. Fighting? Check. Minigames? Check. "Free" roaming? Check.) And honestly, it's leaps and bounds better in terms of storyline, pacing, and control.

Is it a perfect substitute? Of course not. But shelling out $$$ for a game series with no closure doesn't make much sense to me.

Very good posts by romeogbs19 and opportunity777, I love reading about gems that I might have missed. And though some might be hard to find on the cheap (I'm still trying to find Canon Spike at a good price),
some of the best stuff out there can be picked up on ebay in lots. I still consider Virtua Tennis the best tennis game to date, it's so simple to pick up and play but the gameplay and balance are so deep.

Games that I didn't see mentioned that may also be worth picking up:

Gunbird 2 (if you like shooters)
Mars Matrix (if you like shooters)
Test Drive Le Mans
Toy Commander
Virtua Tennis
Wacky Races

I'm still trying to get Giga Wing 1/2, Bangai-O and Canon Spike. And I need to play Record of Lodoss War, been meaning to but it's still collecting dust.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Soul Calibur --> 2 is better and on all the old gens (and cheaper)
[/quote]
:shock:
I can't even believe you wrote that.
First one is not only the best one, but probably the best fighting game ever.

If this was available last year, I probably would've bought it. I was in the market for a new Dreamcast (I just feel safer with going new). eBay's prices were around $80-$90 for a sealed new one. I already started stocking up on accessories and a couple of games. Now come to the present... How many Dreamcast classics haven't seen a port/remake/sequel? I may have to pick up a used a Dreamcast later because I don't want all of the accessories I bought go to waste, but with Virtua On and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the way, all I need a Dreamcast for is to play the original Jet Grind Radio and maybe Shenmue.

I did the math and figure it will cost me about $450 to own the top 50 games for the Dreamcast.....used copies.....found the average prices on videogamepricecharts.com

1. SoulCalibur = $10
2. NFL 2K = $1
3. NFL 2K1 =$1
4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 = $1
5. NBA 2K2 Basketball = $1
6. NBA 2K1 = $1
7. Test Drive Le Mans = $3
8. NFL 2K2 = $2
9. Resident Evil Code: Veronica = $7
10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater = $2
11. Rayman 2: The Great Escape = $9
12. Quake III Arena = $5
13. Unreal Tournament = $5
14. Skies of Arcadia = $20
15. Sonic Adventure = $10
16. Ultimate Fighting Championship = $5
17. Dead or Alive 2 = $6
18. F355 Challenge = $6
19. NFL Blitz 2001 = $1
20. Jet Grind Radio = $9
21. Samba de Amigo = $10
22. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver = $4
23. Street Fighter Alpha 3 = $19
24. Marvel vs. Capcom = $28
25. Test Drive V-Rally = $6
26. Sega Rally Championship 2 = $3
27. NBA 2K = $1
28. Shenmue II = ?
29. Crazy Taxi = $4
30. The Typing of the Dead = $12
31. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing = $5
32. NFL Blitz 2000 = $1
33. Puyo Puyo 4 = ?
34. Sega Bass Fishing 2 = $19
35. Crazy Taxi 2 = $8
36. Sonic Adventure 2 = $20
37. Daytona USA = $10
38. Frame Gride = ?
39. NHL 2K = $2
40. Tech Romancer = $27
41. The King of Fighters: Dream Match 1999 = $9
42. Ikaruga =?
43. Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves = $30
44. Tennis 2K2 = $2
45. NCAA College Football 2K2 = $3
46. Bangai-O = $30
47. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 = $50
48. Worms World Party = $13
49. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis = $15
50. AeroWings 2: Air Strike = $12

I personally loved the sega 32x and sega saturn.. I remember I got it when it first came out, I think it was around $200.00. But man Knuckles Chaotix, Kolibri, Virtua Fighter all ruled it on the 32x. But the saturn ah man, burning rangers, nights, bones, SONIC R

[quote name='link1825']is this the console or just extra controllers[/quote]
It was the console, which is out of stock now but they still have some extra controllers for sale apparently.

[quote name='Phillyman']I did the math and figure it will cost me about $450 to own the top 50 games for the Dreamcast.....used copies.....found the average prices on videogamepricecharts.com

1. SoulCalibur = $10
2. NFL 2K = $1
3. NFL 2K1 =$1
4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 = $1
5. NBA 2K2 Basketball = $1
6. NBA 2K1 = $1
7. Test Drive Le Mans = $3
8. NFL 2K2 = $2
9. Resident Evil Code: Veronica = $7
10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater = $2
11. Rayman 2: The Great Escape = $9
12. Quake III Arena = $5
13. Unreal Tournament = $5
14. Skies of Arcadia = $20
15. Sonic Adventure = $10
16. Ultimate Fighting Championship = $5
17. Dead or Alive 2 = $6
18. F355 Challenge = $6
19. NFL Blitz 2001 = $1
20. Jet Grind Radio = $9
21. Samba de Amigo = $10
22. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver = $4
23. Street Fighter Alpha 3 = $19
24. Marvel vs. Capcom = $28
25. Test Drive V-Rally = $6
26. Sega Rally Championship 2 = $3
27. NBA 2K = $1
28. Shenmue II = ?
29. Crazy Taxi = $4
30. The Typing of the Dead = $12
31. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing = $5
32. NFL Blitz 2000 = $1
33. Puyo Puyo 4 = ?
34. Sega Bass Fishing 2 = $19
35. Crazy Taxi 2 = $8
36. Sonic Adventure 2 = $20
37. Daytona USA = $10
38. Frame Gride = ?
39. NHL 2K = $2
40. Tech Romancer = $27
41. The King of Fighters: Dream Match 1999 = $9
42. Ikaruga =?
43. Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves = $30
44. Tennis 2K2 = $2
45. NCAA College Football 2K2 = $3
46. Bangai-O = $30
47. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 = $50
48. Worms World Party = $13
49. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis = $15
50. AeroWings 2: Air Strike = $12[/QUOTE]

Once you factor in time spent and shipping, it's going to cost you a whole lot more than $450.

BTW, Shenmue 2 will cost you around $60-70 alone, as it's an import title requiring DC-X or Gameshark to play.

Still, good luck.

[quote name='pulsar0510']:shock:
I can't even believe you wrote that.
First one is not only the best one, but probably the best fighting game ever.[/QUOTE]

I can believe it :)

Listen, SC1 is a great game; I'm not knocking it, but the sequel is better. If you think otherwise, it's just your nostalgia kicking in. Go back and play the DC version; then pick up either the Gamecube or Xbox version and tell me which one plays better.

For beginners, the very fact you're not playing on a DC controller adds two points to the score. At least. :)

Man this stuff is worth it to play in VGA. Too bad all the Capcom sprites weren't high res. Guilty Gear looked unbelievably gorgeous.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Agreed in part. What really killed the DC was a combination of this and the specter of the PlayStation 2. Coming off the heels of PSOne, consumers were excited about the pending arrival of the PS2. The DC became more of an time-filler between generations for the hardcore gamers dying to play something new until the PS2 launched. Those who could afford it or loved Sega jumped in, most sat on the sidelines.

[/quote]

Ah, the DC. My first Christmas gift from the wife. 10 years ago, wow, I'm getting old.

What killed the DC?

Lack of DVD player. PS2 had it, and sold a ton because of it (Especially in Japan). Lack of EA hurt as well. Throw in Sega's complete inability to market a console... and you have the DC.

I stayed bitter about it for a long time and boycotted buying a PS2 until 2008. :) DC early adopters really got the shaft with its limited lifespan. However, there were some great games on it and it still remains one of, if not my favorite console.

Is this "Think Geek" a solid store? This is completely awesome...but how the hey do they have new Dreamcasts?

Dang...it's tempting but I don't have any Dreamcast games or VMUs or anything :(

Now if a new Saturn pops up from a good store, I'd pay...a lot, shall we say. Especially if they somehow have Dragon Force (why the hey did I sell that?)

And for the random Saturn haters-it was a great system. For me it was a much better buy than the N64 ever was, and had they not stopped releasing stuff for it, it would have been my favorite of the three systems that generation.

And Powerstone worse than Super Smash Bros.?!? Wooooah. IMO SMB isn't remotely in the same league as Powerstone IMO. And while it was ported to the PSP, and I love my PSP, that version doesn't look or play as well (even though it's better hardware, but....well it isn't as good of a version).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is this "Think Geek" a solid store?[/quote]

I'm going to assume this is a legitimate question, and not an attempt at being sarcastic. Yes, absolutely -- Think Geek is a 100% reliable store. They specialize in all manner of geeky, nerdy, tech-centric toys/gadgets/games/apparel. I've ordered a few things from them in the past, and have absolutely no reservations in recommending them as professional and honorable store.

As to how they procured new-in-box Dreamcasts ten years after the original launch -- I can only say it's Think Geek. It's kinda what they do. :)

If you're tempted to buy one, do so boldly -- they're a great company. Toss in a case of Bawls, too. You won't regret it.

bread's done
Back