ThinkGeek: Original Sega Dreamcast Console (OOS)

fakero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
ThinkGeek has more brand new Dreamcasts in stock!
Extra controllers available for $14.99 a pop.

ba52_sega_dreamcast_console_parts.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/ba52/

Use promo code PUZZLING for $10 off your purchase (of $40 or more).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='joemoedee']Throw in Sega's complete inability to market a console... and you have the DC.[/quote]
Not quite. The Dreamcast had one of the most impressive marketing campaigns in the US for a game console. It was such a huge difference from how they marketed the Saturn.

[youtube]nmxRHiNhlYM[/youtube]

[youtube]yAHAxB9oI4Q[/youtube]

[quote name='KhrevalBruuk']I'm going to assume this is a legitimate question, and not an attempt at being sarcastic. Yes, absolutely -- Think Geek is a 100% reliable store. They specialize in all manner of geeky, nerdy, tech-centric toys/gadgets/games/apparel. I've ordered a few things from them in the past, and have absolutely no reservations in recommending them as professional and honorable store.

As to how they procured new-in-box Dreamcasts ten years after the original launch -- I can only say it's Think Geek. It's kinda what they do. :)

If you're tempted to buy one, do so boldly -- they're a great company. Toss in a case of Bawls, too. You won't regret it.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks! I'll hopefully remember for if this pops up again (or dang it, find me a complete set of SegaCD and Saturn stuff :D )

[quote name='Vegan']:lol:[/QUOTE]

What's funny about that?

Regarding the Dreamcast's marketing, they did blow some money in the summer of '99 on ads that told you NOTHING about what the system or its games were.

And of course they ditched the Saturn prematurely, and then ditched the Dreamcast prematurely. Had they had more money, probably either could have been big successes in the U.S. too. (Come to think of it, they ditched the Genesis prematurely too...)

God I loved my Dreamcast, I'd still have it but I let someone borrow it and you know how that story goes. Did anyone play Wacky Races on this thing? Pretty underrated cart racer IMHO.

I'd love to get my hands on another one, hoping to pick up one at a garage sale or something this summer.

[quote name='Wolfpup']And of course they ditched the Saturn prematurely, and then ditched the Dreamcast prematurely. Had they had more money, probably either could have been big successes in the U.S. too. (Come to think of it, they ditched the Genesis prematurely too...)[/quote]
Saturn, yes. Dreamcast and Genesis, definitely not.

Genesis lived on into 1996/1997, after the PlayStation and Saturn were in the market.

Dreamcast HAD to be shelved because SEGA's factories and warehouses were FILLED with unsold Dreamcasts. They originally considered filing for bankruptcy before ultimately deciding developing games for everyone else. They weren't making money on the Dreamcast or its games. When the PS2 launched and couldn't deliver the amount they promised, leaving people without a PS2 until March of the following year, SEGA couldn't really sell any units. It wasn't a premature pull when the only ones supporting it were just the hardcore SEGA fans who didn't care about being burned many times before, which was a really small minority.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
What's funny about that?
[/quote]

It's a very big site. Like asking if this "Amazon thing" is reputable. I know, it's not your fault you hadn't heard of it before, but your inquiry was funny.

What killed the Dreamcast was Japan. It was actually doing pretty well in the states. It was getting trounced in Japan and SoJ decided to throw in the towel, despite it's U.S. profitability.

[quote name='KhrevalBruuk']I'm going to assume this is a legitimate question, and not an attempt at being sarcastic. Yes, absolutely -- Think Geek is a 100% reliable store. They specialize in all manner of geeky, nerdy, tech-centric toys/gadgets/games/apparel. I've ordered a few things from them in the past, and have absolutely no reservations in recommending them as professional and honorable store.

As to how they procured new-in-box Dreamcasts ten years after the original launch -- I can only say it's Think Geek. It's kinda what they do. :)

If you're tempted to buy one, do so boldly -- they're a great company. Toss in a case of Bawls, too. You won't regret it.[/QUOTE]

New Dreamcasts have been available since at least 2001 and have never been unavailable. All Think Geek did was buy some from one of the many distributors that still have them in stock (including Sega's own parts and service provider by the way) and someone picked up on the story. This is not a deal since it's the same price as all the other places have been selling these units on-line for years.

[quote name='bickle']What killed the Dreamcast was Japan. It was actually doing pretty well in the states. It was getting trounced in Japan and SoJ decided to throw in the towel, despite it's U.S. profitability.[/quote]
Piracy, PlayStation 2 and EA all would like a word with you on how incredibly wrong your statement is.

[quote name='Tsukento']Not quite. The Dreamcast had one of the most impressive marketing campaigns in the US for a game console. It was such a huge difference from how they marketed the Saturn.[/quote]

They should have run the Segata Sanshiro ad campaign on this side of the pond.

DC is still a good system. Definitely one of my favorites. I'd buy for $99 but only if it came with more stuff. I wouldn't mind a used one with games and stuff though. Seaman was cool.

[quote name='Tsukento']Saturn, yes. Dreamcast and Genesis, definitely not.

Genesis lived on into 1996/1997, after the PlayStation and Saturn were in the market.

Dreamcast HAD to be shelved because SEGA's factories and warehouses were FILLED with unsold Dreamcasts. They originally considered filing for bankruptcy before ultimately deciding developing games for everyone else. They weren't making money on the Dreamcast or its games. When the PS2 launched and couldn't deliver the amount they promised, leaving people without a PS2 until March of the following year, SEGA couldn't really sell any units. It wasn't a premature pull when the only ones supporting it were just the hardcore SEGA fans who didn't care about being burned many times before, which was a really small minority.[/QUOTE]

I've read Next Gen and some other articles about this and they're pretty clear (not to mention you can see most of it for yourself)-Sega of Japan ditched the Genesis years before they should have. Nintendo probably couldn't have taken the lead in the U.S. if not for that. That doesn't mean there were NO games, but they basically dropped it almost the way Microsoft dropped the Xbox. And then did it again with the Saturn, and then again with the Dreamcast. The dreamcast was actually selling quite well even after the PS2 launched, at the point they ditched it. Had they more money, they wouldn't have dropped it, and could have continued against the Playstation 2. It's probably the same sort of thing that would have happened to Nintendo if not for their portables and freak success with gimicky peripherals.

I'm curious how the Dreamcast would have fared long term in terms of performance. A lot of early games, the Dreamcast actually fared better, but then it was a lot easier to code for, so...

[quote name='bojay1997']New Dreamcasts have been available since at least 2001 and have never been unavailable. All Think Geek did was buy some from one of the many distributors that still have them in stock (including Sega's own parts and service provider by the way) and someone picked up on the story. This is not a deal since it's the same price as all the other places have been selling these units on-line for years.[/QUOTE]

Well if these have been available, I don't think most of us knew about it. I still would have no idea where to go for one.

But no Saturns or new games?

[quote name='sadunk']DC is still a good system. Definitely one of my favorites. I'd buy for $99 but only if it came with more stuff. I wouldn't mind a used one with games and stuff though. Seaman was cool.[/QUOTE]

I'd gladly buy any old system for full price (or more) if it was new and from a good store. I'm passing on this (I guess) simply because I pretty much already played the Dreamcast stuff I wanted to play, and I liked the Saturn and SegaCD better.

Hmm...I wonder too what would have happened had Microsoft bought them? I kind of have to think we'd have better Sega games now, except things are looking up of late. Of course then they probably wouldn't have Rare, and I'd hate for Rare to have to be shackled to Nintendo right now :whistle2:/

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'd gladly buy any old system for full price (or more) if it was new and from a good store. I'm passing on this (I guess) simply because I pretty much already played the Dreamcast stuff I wanted to play, and I liked the Saturn and SegaCD better.

Hmm...I wonder too what would have happened had Microsoft bought them? I kind of have to think we'd have better Sega games now, except things are looking up of late. Of course then they probably wouldn't have Rare, and I'd hate for Rare to have to be shackled to Nintendo right now :whistle2:/[/quote]

Agreed. Knowing you're getting a good, new system and not the glitchy system someone's mom found in her son's room after he moved out is worth it.

I also agree about Rare. I don't have a Wii, don't really want a Wii, but I'm glad I have Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie on my 360.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I've read Next Gen and some other articles about this and they're pretty clear (not to mention you can see most of it for yourself)-Sega of Japan ditched the Genesis years before they should have.[/quote]
ONLY in Japan. The Mega Drive was doing poorly in Japan, whereas the Genesis was constantly on life support here. SEGA of America did whatever it took to make sure the Genesis stuck around. It wasn't until Japan's top head ordered that everything aside from Saturn be put to a stop so they could put all of their resources on the new console.

Think about it. At the time, they were still selling the Genesis, GameGear, CD, 32X and Nomad.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Nintendo probably couldn't have taken the lead in the U.S. if not for that.[/quote]
Actually, while it appeared Nintendo had the upperhand, it turns out both companies were rather neck and neck on the Eastern side of the world. On our side, it was just Nintendo vs SEGA. Everyone else who made an attempt to fight ended up being ignored by the market. Meanwhile, Japan had Nintendo, SEGA and NEC (which is what prompted SEGA to make the Mega CD in Japan).

[quote name='Wolfpup']That doesn't mean there were NO games, but they basically dropped it almost the way Microsoft dropped the Xbox. And then did it again with the Saturn, and then again with the Dreamcast.[/quote]
Genesis, yeah. But not the Saturn or Dreamcast. Remember, Bernie Stolar was the one who made the decision to kill the Saturn in the US, which royally pissed off developers. The Saturn went on to continue having games made until the Dreamcast's eventual release in Japan. Meanwhile, it just stopped in the US.

As for Dreamcast, it wasn't just dropped. They made the announcement around January 2001 that they would stop supporting the console by March of that year in the US. Japan, however, still wavered around as third parties kept releasing games and SEGA was even selling refurbished consoles with the purchase of certain newer games from their Japanese online store.

[quote name='Wolfpup']The dreamcast was actually selling quite well even after the PS2 launched, at the point they ditched it.[/quote]
It didn't. The PS2 absolutely destroyed the Dreamcast's chances of surviving. SEGA needed about 5 million units to be able to claim a profit, but they only managed 2 million near the end. Add on the fact that the Xbox and GameCube (then known as Dolphin) made their debuts, which killed all consumer interest in what was basically an obsolete console. Not to mention, developers were swarming towards the PS2 and consumers were buying into some of the gross exaggerations Sony told (the PS2 can't and never has been able to produce Toy Story visuals).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Had they more money, they wouldn't have dropped it, and could have continued against the Playstation 2. It's probably the same sort of thing that would have happened to Nintendo if not for their portables and freak success with gimicky peripherals.[/quote]
Agreed on SEGA, but not Nintendo. Unlike SEGA, Nintendo has a LONG history of satisfying their customers. Parents especially identify Nintendo as a trustworthy company worth plopping dollars into. SEGA, however, has been known to force people to burn their money on hardware that wasn't lasting very long.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm curious how the Dreamcast would have fared long term in terms of performance. A lot of early games, the Dreamcast actually fared better, but then it was a lot easier to code for, so...[/quote]
This always intrigued me as well. It seemed like the console's full potential was never actually realized. What if SEGA actually went on to release that DVD player add-on? What if they released that ZIP Drive? What if the third party companies didn't abandon ship? Unfortunately, we'll never know. :\

Here's a great video to check out regarding the Dreamcast's history:
[youtube]I8N8f6uYe2Q[/youtube]

[quote name='Wolfpup']Well if these have been available, I don't think most of us knew about it. I still would have no idea where to go for one.

But no Saturns or new games?[/quote]
SEGA had an incredibly huge amount of inventory left over due to them being unable to sell the consoles. The Saturn pretty much had everything sold from retailers doing clearance sales. That and some of the games went into limited printings.

www.estarland.com has a lot of good Dreamcast hardware and games available. They are constantly getting used items in as well, so if you're interested in older items (for any console) definitely check them out.

I'm lucky enough to have a store down the road from me that still sells used Dreamcast games and accessories, I wanted to actually set mine up today and I realised my controllers have gone missing (which had my VMUS, which of course had all my game saves)

At first I thought this was a great deal then I realized every pawn shop Ive been to has tons of these for sale for 15 bucks with all cables included.

I think I'll pick one up tomorrow btw.

Those VMUs for some reason went bad after a while. Its the only system I owned that had the memory cards go bad. I take that back the PS1 memory cards went bad easily too.

I never had a PS1 memory card go bad. Are you sure you're not thinking of third party stuff? I've never heard of one of those that DIDN'T go bad.

I never had a VMU go bad, but then I didn't have the system nearly as long as my Playstation, so...?

[quote name='LiveCrazy_Joe']Those VMUs for some reason went bad after a while. Its the only system I owned that had the memory cards go bad. I take that back the PS1 memory cards went bad easily too.[/quote]
In what way? I have a VMU from launch, the battery is dead but the card still has all of my save files and everything.

Maybe it was just me but I had multiple memory cards go bad. It blew my mind at the time because I took care of my hardware and games religiously. They both went bad on me for some reason.

Thats probably why I loved the xbox because I didnt have to deal with those damn memory cards again.

damn id like to get my hands on one. i still have a copy of the japanese dead or alive 2 somewhere not to mention id like to get sonic adventure and the power stone games agaiin. damn shame they never came up with a decent dc emulator for the pc still id like to own a dc again. as far as what killed the dc the freakin controller didnt help it was prety crappy and the damn vmus were very gimmicky and useless. not to mention they ate batteries like a hooker eats cock. if sega hadnt started getting cold feet halfway through and if that guy who was president at the time didnt quit it could have had a much longer life. im still pissed i never got to play the shenmue games and that chakan the foreverman sequel never came to light. ive still got a few of the sega brnad colored vmus somewhere couldnt bear to get rid of them.

Define "go bad". Are you sure you don't mean the battery? Hard drives are actually a lot more volatile than flash memory.

[quote name='Tsukento']Piracy, PlayStation 2 and EA all would like a word with you on how incredibly wrong your statement is.[/QUOTE]

1) Piracy was around, who knows how much impact that had.
2) PS2 was gaining ground, but DC had a good foothold and was still very profitable in the US. PS2 was a big issue in Japan, but again, we are talking about the US.
3) EA? Non-issue, since they were never involved. DC was doing well in the US without them.

what about a place to buy new dreamcast games?

i'd imagine if someone wants to purchase a new dreamcast console over a commonly found used console, they'd also want to buy new games over used games.

[quote name='Rerujnoc']After looking at this thread I went to Yahoo and I saw this as one of their featured stories:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/playback/playback-42/1310463[/quote]
Ugh what a horrible "news story" this is. Yahoo news sucks major azz and exagirates everything. They actually compared it to PS2 and said it's an option for bargain minded gamers. You can just get a PS2 for the same price and buy a buttload of good games for not a lot of money. Dreamcast had a lot of great games, but it's too much hassle to go on ebay and find them in good shape.

If I didn't still have my Sega Sports DC, I would definately be in on this deal for $99. I still have all my games including 2 sega keyboards and typing of the dead.

[quote name='Milkyman']typing of the dead for dreamcast is worth checking out, i wish they'd re-release it.[/quote]

Oh yeah..great game. I still have mine with two keyboards.

I just got the extra controllers yesterday, be warned the controllers are the UK versions.

USA = Orange Swirl
UK = Blue Swirl

For the European and Australian PAL release of the Dreamcast, Sega changed the Dreamcast's familiar Orange swirl logo to blue. This was done to avoid copyright confliction with the German video game/DVD publisher Tivola, which already used an Orange swirl as their company logo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast

[quote name='Phillyman']I just got the extra controllers yesterday, be warned the controllers are the UK versions.

USA = Orange Swirl
UK = Blue Swirl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast[/quote]

Is that a bad thing?

All of the overstock people are selling on eBay appear to be UK controllers and VMU's these days.

OOPSIES? Another $10? But its OOS? :(

EDIT: ThinkGeek was having maintenance done and is offering a coupon for $10 off $30 purchase or more (code = OOPSIES, expires tomorrow at Midnight) but looks like it doesnt stack with PUZZLING...as usual.

[quote name='imacgod']Is that a bad thing?

All of the overstock people are selling on eBay appear to be UK controllers and VMU's these days.[/QUOTE]

Honestly the only difference is the color of the logo, it just would have been nice to keep all the controllers the same.

I just got my Dreamcast today and unfortunately the box was kind of bashed, but nothing too terribly bad. The cool thing is when I opened it and saw that it was the Black Sega Sports version. There was no indication that it was the Black model as the box was the same one on the Thinkgeek page (white DC). I had only seen this color used and that was years ago.

Has anyone received theirs yet and is it the Sega Sports version or the white one?

^That's weird. The Black Sega Sports one came in a box that prominently displayed the black unit with the 2 free sports games it came with. Are we sure these are new?

[quote name='NismoZZzz']^That's weird. The Black Sega Sports one came in a box that prominently displayed the black unit with the 2 free sports games it came with. Are we sure these are new?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I live close to Optical and we ordered around the same time. I just got mine in, and mine is a white console. And it is 'readily' apparent that this is not the first time this console has been touched by human hands.

The box is worn, yeah. Who knows how long it has been stored and where it was kept. That is to be understood. But the console itself has scuff marks on the top, and the bottom. And the bottom serial stickers have indents/scratches on them. One of the vents even has some old gamer dirt on it (something any used game buyer knows what I am talking about, not sure how else to describe it).

I just sent an email to ThinkGeek about this. I know it's only $99, but I am pretty bummed out. I was excited to get a new console. Had I paid $99 for a used console in a semi-good condition retail box. I would be pretty stoked. As it is, I paid $99 for a repackaged Dreamcast sold as new.

BS. :whistle2:|

[quote name='OmahGTP']Yeah. I live close to Optical and we ordered around the same time. I just got mine in, and mine is a white console. And it is 'readily' apparent that this is not the first time this console has been touched by human hands.

The box is worn, yeah. Who knows how long it has been stored and where it was kept. That is to be understood. But the console itself has scuff marks on the top, and the bottom. And the bottom serial stickers have indents/scratches on them. One of the vents even has some old gamer dirt on it (something any used game buyer knows what I am talking about, not sure how else to describe it).

I just sent an email to ThinkGeek about this. I know it's only $99, but I am pretty bummed out. I was excited to get a new console. Had I paid $99 for a used console in a semi-good condition retail box. I would be pretty stoked. As it is, I paid $99 for a repackaged Dreamcast sold as new.

BS. :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

My console looks new. The bag that the console was in looks like it hasn't been opened - the tape is still intact. I looked through the bag and didn't see any scuffs or scratches on any of the labels or rubber pads on the bottom. I must have been lucky.

I do think its weird that a Sega Sports version was in the normal DC box. I think they probably had extra Sega Sports models and just packaged them up like this to get rid of them.

[quote name='Optical']My console looks new. The bag that the console was in looks like it hasn't been opened - the tape is still intact. I looked through the bag and didn't see any scuffs or scratches on any of the labels or rubber pads on the bottom. I must have been lucky.

I do think its weird that a Sega Sports version was in the normal DC box. I think they probably had extra Sega Sports models and just packaged them up like this to get rid of them.[/QUOTE]

I still think it's a repack.

At least yours looks new/is something a little cool/different. ;)

My dreamcast is dieing :\
but is working so its k :D you can get great used dreamcasts for like 30$ if you have a store like GameSwap in your mall.

bread's done
Back