Thinking about buying an HDTV

thefallingscream

CAGiversary!
I'm finally upgrading to either a LCD or plasma but I have found very few that have RCA Connections. I still play my older systems like the n64 and ps1. I plan on getting an hdtv for around $500 but I want to make sure that I can still play my old games. Is it true that ps2 games look like crap on an hdtv? I play my ps2 more then my 360,that's why I'm asking.

You can get component cables for the PS2.

SD stuff looks like shit on LCD and plasma, but some of the higher end models have better scalers that can help with that. Looks pretty good on my DLP and CRT HDTV's though.

Most I've seen still have RCA connections, though sometimes they're on the side.

[quote name='thefallingscream']I'm finally upgrading to either a LCD or plasma but I have found very few that have RCA Connections. I still play my older systems like the n64 and ps1. I plan on getting an hdtv for around $500 but I want to make sure that I can still play my old games. Is it true that ps2 games look like crap on an hdtv? I play my ps2 more then my 360,that's why I'm asking.[/QUOTE]

Keep the CRT you have now just for playing older non HD Game systems.... They look a ton better this way.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Keep the CRT you have now just for playing older non HD Game systems.... They look a ton better this way.[/QUOTE]

I second this. I put my older systems on my LCD and instantly hooked them up back to my regular CRT.

+1 for a plasma....I have mentioned several times that I have a 50" Samsung and love the hell out of it....it has no lag when it comes to games and looks amazing with all formats....haven't tried any old school systems though.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Keep the CRT you have now just for playing older non HD Game systems.... They look a ton better this way.[/QUOTE]
Everyone should keep a CRT around specifically for this. I loaned mine out to a friend because I don't have room to setup a game room right now, but when I do I'm hauling that beast back to my place :lol:

PS2 games have terrible input lag on LCD's that makes precision play very difficult.

Your better off keeping an older sd crt tv around for older consoles. But most LCD's nowadays have at least one RCA input.

If your determined to play older consoles on a new tv, consider upgrading to component or svideo cables if possible. New tv's have at least 2 or 3 of those inputs and they make a difference vs RCA.

I, for one, wouldn't go with 1080p at that size ( Unless you are going to use it as a computer monitor as well ). 720p at 32" is more then fine... and cheaper...

Look into Plasma like everyone else stated... Great TV's for the price...

i bought a refurb 1080p 120hz 32 in vizio for $378. definitely worth it. but seeing as people say that going 720p will suffice, i dont see why not. definitely keep your eyes on slickdeals for tvs.

I didn't see anyone mention this, but if you have a lot of windows in the room that the TV is going in avoid the plasma. Unless they are all curtained heavy enough to block the light. I have a series 6 50" Samsung plasma and 2 windows in my living room, if the curtain is open behind the couch all you see is a reflection of the window. I close the curtain every time I turn the TV on. The picture quality is awesome on plasma's, they're just not right for every room.

Be sure to check the jack packs on the TVs you look at. Many new models integrate a single RCA video in (the yellow wire) into a component video input. Instead of plugging in the 3 component cables, the RCA video in usually goes into the green component slot and you use the same audio input for sound input. This has become quite common since 2009 models.

As some have already said, upgrading the cables when available is best, even if the TV you buy does have RCA jacks.

bread's done
Back