Thinking about getting a 360 this weekend, few stions

CounterSeal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My parents insist on getting me something for my 20th birthday and I reluctantly agreed. I really don't need anything, but having a 360 would be a nice addition along with the PS3 I bought myself back in November.

So before making such a big decision, I'd like to ask a few questions to the most knowledgable crowd of people, current 360 owners.

1) I have heard great things about Costco's warranty as far as replacements go. Is it true that it's a lifetime guarantee? I would like to be able to replace my 360 anytime in the future if I happen to come across the 3 red lights of doom.

2) I have searched everyhwere I can think of and Gears of War is still around the MSRP of $60. A few months back, I saw several deals of Gears going for $30-$40. Any deals going on at the moment?

3) Are there any necessary accessories I should get besides the system itself?

4) Any exclusive titles to look forward to besides Halo 3, Eternal Sonata, BD, Bioshock?

Any advice would be apreciated, thank you.

[quote name='CounterSeal']My parents insist on getting me something for my 20th birthday and I reluctantly agreed. I really don't need anything, but having a 360 would be a nice addition along with the PS3 I bought myself back in November.

So before making such a big decision, I'd like to ask a few questions to the most knowledgable crowd of people, current 360 owners.

1) I have heard great things about Costco's warranty as far as replacements go. Is it true that it's a lifetime guarantee? I would like to be able to replace my 360 anytime in the future if I happen to come across the 3 red lights of doom.

2) I have searched everyhwere I can think of and Gears of War is still around the MSRP of $60. A few months back, I saw several deals of Gears going for $30-$40. Any deals going on at the moment?

4) Any exclusive titles to look forward to besides Halo 3, Eternal Sonata, BD, Bioshock?

Any advice would be apreciated, thank you.[/QUOTE]

1. Costco's warranty for systems is now 2yrs (at least in my area)...YMMV on this.

2. No current deals on GOW that I'm aware of, unless you want to go the used route...still can't beat the "retail price record holder", Oblivion.

3. If you get a premium, it should come with everything you need.

4. I think owning both a PS3 and 360 has you pretty much covered. ;)

The accessories I have are the quick charge kit with 2 battery packs, wireless network adapter, and extra wireless controller. I would suggest a battery recharger at the very least, along with some Xbox live time and marketplace points so you can buy Worms. That game alone is worth the 400+ dollars for the console.

When buying a new Xbox 360, there's really only one piece of advice you REALLY need:

BUY THE LONGEST, MOST COMPREHENSIVE WARRANTY POSSIBLE.

In 6 months, you'll know why.

3. The only accessory you may want to consider when you pickup your system is the Wi-Fi adapter. Your home network/location of your TV will determine the necessity of this...but it would suck to have to run back to the store for it.

4. Haze. Can't freakin' wait.

[quote name='CounterSeal']2) I have searched everyhwere I can think of and Gears of War is still around the MSRP of $60. A few months back, I saw several deals of Gears going for $30-$40. Any deals going on at the moment?[/QUOTE]

Grab it used.

[quote name='CounterSeal']3) Are there any necessary accessories I should get besides the system itself?[/QUOTE]

Plug and play kit, XBL kit, 2000 XBL points.

[quote name='CounterSeal']4) Any exclusive titles to look forward to besides Halo 3, Eternal Sonata, BD, Bioshock?
[/QUOTE]

Call of Juarez, Mass Effect, Banjo-Kazooie 3, Alan Wake, Blue Dragon, Overlord

Oh and you must buy Earth Defense Force 2017. It is digital crack and it's only 30-40

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']When buying a new Xbox 360, there's really only one piece of advice you REALLY need:

BUY THE LONGEST, MOST COMPREHENSIVE WARRANTY POSSIBLE.

In 6 months, you'll know why.[/QUOTE]

Don't buy into the internet echo chamber.

I've had mine since last year and it's still trucking even after checking it on a trip to Mississippi.

[quote name='Sporadic']Grab it used.

Oh and you must buy Earth Defense Force 2017. It is digital crack and it's only 30-40

I've had mine since last year and it's still trucking even after checking it on a trip to Mississippi.[/quote]
The 59 page Coffin Thread on CAG says differently.

[quote name='CounterSeal']
[/quote]
This site has a list of current and future Xbox 360 exclusives

If you like the premise to the film Groundhog Day, buy Earth Defense Force. In other words: If you enjoy doing the same shit over and over (much like purgatory), you'll have blast.
[quote name='VanillaGorilla']The 59 page Coffin Thread on CAG says differently.[/QUOTE]
And the number of people not bitching outweighs those who are bitching.

[quote name='Sporadic']Grab it used.

I've had mine since last year and it's still trucking even after checking it on a trip to Mississippi.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am on my fourth system since launch. So a warranty is a very good idea.

[quote name='Brak']And the number of people not bitching outweighs those who are bitching.[/QUOTE]

Really.

The failure rate last time I heard was around 7% which is higher than your usual electronic (I think the normal is 4%) but it's nowhere close to the doomsday THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING the internet seems to believe.

- edit [quote name='DomLando']Yeah I am on my fourth system since launch. So a warranty is a very good idea.[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you doing? Running it 24/7 with the power brick on top of the system?

Hmmm, who says the failure rate is 7%? Oh yeah, MICROSOFT DOES!

Fine, don't get the warranty. Go ahead and pay $130 to get it fixed in 6 months when it breaks.

[quote name='Sporadic']Really.

The failure rate last time I heard was around 7% which is higher than your usual electronic (I think the normal is 4%) but it's nowhere close to the doomsday THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING the internet seems to believe.

- edit

What the hell are you doing? Running it 24/7 with the power brick on top of the system?[/QUOTE]
Nope. Just bad luck I guess. The disc drive usually what goes. I only got the 3 red lights once. It's just a poorly made system.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Hmmm, who says the failure rate is 7%? Oh yeah, MICROSOFT DOES!

Fine, don't get the warranty. Go ahead and pay $130 to get it fixed in 6 months when it breaks.[/QUOTE]

Who said don't get a warranty?

It's always good to have a safety net.

I was just saying ignore the internet echo chamber (which is exactly what this is) because the people who have trouble bitch the loudest.

Just because some people have trouble with the 360, doesn't mean yours is guaranteed to explode two weeks after you grab it.

Def Get a Play and charge kit. Its a Must. Also nobody has mention But The game im most looking forward to is Stranglehold and my number one pick. ARMY OF TWO. The days couldnt go by faster till that game comes out.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Def Get a Play and charge kit. Its a Must. Also nobody has mention But The game im most looking forward to is Stranglehold and my number one pick. ARMY OF TWO. The days couldnt go by faster till that game comes out.[/quote]
Nooo don't waste your money on any type of play and charge kit. If you're going to do that, just get the warranty instead which also I wouldn't recommend. Find a cheap 5$ all-around charger that works with any kind of rechargeable battery and you're set. I got a grrreat cheap one that can recharge 4 batteries at once, any kind of rechargeables. I made a thread and was planning to buy a play and charge kit, but changed my mind when I saw this and ended up saving myself 30$ CDN

[quote name='Sporadic']Really.

[/quote]

When UPS delivery drivers know what the unmarked box is for, there is obviously too high of a failure rate. That implies that a single driver on a regular route has delivered enough of them to be noticeable.

to the OP:
As far as the warranty goes, if you do buy an extended get it from a retailer and not from MS. Having to ship it out is a pain in the ass.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']The 59 page Coffin Thread on CAG says differently.[/quote] Meh 1169 posts divided by 21964 active users equals .053 which equals roughly 5% bricked console rate. I still bought a 2 year extended warranty though, JUST INCASE :)

[quote name='kensterdotnet']Meh 1169 posts divided by 21964 active users equals .053 which equals roughly 5% bricked console rate. I still bought a 2 year extended warranty though, JUST INCASE :)[/quote]

Wow, I didn't know all the active users of this site own an xbox 360. Damn I must've misplaced mine. The failure rate is higher than the five to seven percent they say. I don't know what it is exactly and nobody will probably, but it seems like the 360 is the PS2 of this generation, with many people having to go through many of them and others not experiencing any problems at all. All I got to say buy some kind of warranty, either from MS or the store. When I do buy a 360, it's going to cost an extra 50-75 dollars for extended warranty and that doesn't make it that much cheaper than a PS3.

Thanks for the responses. About the warranty, if I do decide to get a 360, I plan to get it from Costco because of the exchange policy people always rave about. I do have a membership so that isn't a problem. Does anyone with first hand experience or knowledge of Costco's 360 have any input on this?

If Costco actually does allow a 2 year or lifetime exchange plan for free, the 3rl, or any problem for that matter wouldn't be a problem for me. But it sounds too good to be true.

mass effect is probably good enough reason to own a 360, I am on my 3rd 360 and probably going to replace it soon at bestbuy. The disc drive is crapping out. Sometimes it won't open, sometimes it will open half way and other times it opens and closes in a second.

[quote name='Thongsy']Wow, I didn't know all the active users of this site own an xbox 360. Damn I must've misplaced mine. The failure rate is higher than the five to seven percent they say. I don't know what it is exactly and nobody will probably, but it seems like the 360 is the PS2 of this generation, with many people having to go through many of them and others not experiencing any problems at all. All I got to say buy some kind of warranty, either from MS or the store. When I do buy a 360, it's going to cost an extra 50-75 dollars for extended warranty and that doesn't make it that much cheaper than a PS3.[/quote] Lol my bad, I got this forum mixed up with the 360 forum on gametrailers. :applause: I feel really stupid now.

[quote name='catapult37']What's the out-of-the-box Microsoft warranty like?[/quote]

out of the box warranty is a year...once the year is up it'll cost $130ish to fix....if you get it fixed under warranty you will still have a 30 day warranty on the refurb unit or the rest of the warranty from the original xbox 360, whichever is longer.....

im pretty sure thats right..someone correct me if im wrong

i think im wrong or missing something but too lazy to check..heres the warranty statement: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/resources/warranty.htm

[quote name='CounterSeal']Thanks for the responses. About the warranty, if I do decide to get a 360, I plan to get it from Costco because of the exchange policy people always rave about. I do have a membership so that isn't a problem. Does anyone with first hand experience or knowledge of Costco's 360 have any input on this?

If Costco actually does allow a 2 year or lifetime exchange plan for free, the 3rl, or any problem for that matter wouldn't be a problem for me. But it sounds too good to be true.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, the "lifetime" warranty deal is still good on game systems (they just changed it for the items someone else listed earlier - mainly TV's and computers as people would *seriously* abuse the returns on those). And even with the items that changed, they offer a 1 year extension of the manufacture's warranty, so that would mean a minimum of 2 years even if they add game consoles to the restrictions (and I could see the failure rates of the 360 pushing Costco to do that :lol:).

Having said that, I got mine at Gamecrazy because I wanted an Elite and Costco didn't carry them upon release (except for overpriced preorders). Someone claims they've seen the Elite at a Costco recently but last time I was there it was just the standard Premium pack for $450 or so (with extra controller + Arcade Unplugged). I was forced to buy an extended warranty at Gamecrazy to get my launch Elite and didn't argue the matter because I drove all the way across town to the one store that didn't have their single system set aside for a "special" customer and I knew I needed some sort of extended warranty in any case. The only other system I got one for was the PSP, which in retrospect was a waste - but I would definitely get one on the 360.

As for accessories, I haven't needed anything but a second controller for some local multiplayer (and I'm looking for a third now) and maybe a 1600 points card or two. What's nice is the standard battery usage between 360 controllers, the Wii remotes, Wavebirds, and even third party wireless PS2 controllers. Each one uses 2 AA batteries, so I just have about 10 rechargeables that I cycle between whatever devices I am currently using. I have 2 360 controllers, 3 Wiimotes, 3 Wavebirds, and 2 wireless PS2 controllers. Because of this I see no need for the plug-n-play kits (and using disposables would be almost criminal ;)).

I wouldn't bother with the play n charge thing, it sucks. The Quick Charge kit is much more convenient unless you want to use rechargeable batteries.

DEFINITELY buy at Costco if that is an option for you.

Why did you buy a PS3? :p

Mass effect will rule all the exclusives you mentioned, and any game on PS3 in the next year.

I think you'll find you enjoy your 360 far more than your PS3, at least until the PS3 's best game, Home, comes out.

[quote name='Sporadic']Don't buy into the internet echo chamber.

I've had mine since last year and it's still trucking even after checking it on a trip to Mississippi.[/quote] I would've said the same thing until recently when I got the 3 rings of death while trying to play Guitar Hero. Granted my unit was from launch but given the number of problems reported, I'd highly recommend getting a warranty. How does the 2-year warranty at Costco work? Is that after the 1-year warranty by Microsoft expires or from date of purchase?

I'm going to end up buying mine at Best Buy. Does anyone know what their warranty plans run for?

Also, if you do a replacement plan with them, can you re-download your XBLA stuff? What about achievements, etc? What do you lose as far as data goes?

Finally, is it possible to purchase a Best Buy warranty plan later on, say, a month before the MS warranty expires?

Thanks...

[quote name='catapult37']I'm going to end up buying mine at Best Buy. Does anyone know what their warranty plans run for?

Also, if you do a replacement plan with them, can you re-download your XBLA stuff? What about achievements, etc? What do you lose as far as data goes?

Finally, is it possible to purchase a Best Buy warranty plan later on, say, a month before the MS warranty expires?

Thanks...[/QUOTE]
To answer your question about XBLA and achievements, whenever I had to exchange a system warranty wise I kept my hard drive and they took the new one and kept it with my old system. The only thing that affects is you have to be signed on to Xbox Live to play those XBLA games.

[quote name='CounterSeal']Before making such a big decision, I'd like to ask a few questions to the most knowledgable crowd of people, current 360 owners.

Any advice would be apreciated, thank you.[/quote]

1: I can't answer that.

2: You can get it for $30 Used at gamefly, But you have to be a member there first. (Gamefly sends you the case and manual)

3: The premium comes with everything you need, But I'd reccomend buying a play and charge kit (Or two, If you are buying another wireless controller)

4: The Darkness, Assassin's Creed and Condemned 2: Bloodshot!

I'll reccomend some games to you that are already out:

Condemned: Criminal origins (Known only as condemned in some places) - This game is a shortie, But a scary and a goodie. It is a gem! I bought it and I have no regrets. It is so good, You'll wish it was a movie.

Dead Rising - One of my favorites. There are cons about this game (The save system, stupid survivors, etc) But if you can get past the cons, It is a really good game! I beat it 5 times!

Guitar Hero 2 - You may want to wait for this until GH3 comes out, But I don't regret buying it. I love playing it, It is one of my favorites!

Oblivion - What can I say about this game? It is great! You have to give it time, Though, Because when you start playing you have no idea what to do. But after you play it for awhile, You'll love this game. I have a freind who has every achievement for it and he still hasn't seen everything in oblivion.

Saint's Row - It isn't the best game out there, But if you see it for $10 you should pick it up. I never play single player in this game, It's all about the online modes.

Tony Hawk's American Watseland - You probably played this on the PS2, But if you see this for $5 get it. The online is fun and most of the achievements in this game are very easy. You can get 900 points from it without thinking about it.

If you are going to get Xbox Live, Here are some XBLA Games that I reccomend:

Aegis Wing - This game is free, Who can say no to free?

Root Beer Tapper - I think this one is fun, It is worth the 400 microsoft points.

TotemBall - OK, It requires the video camera and it is tiring, But it is free.

Worms - Great game, Well worth 800 microsoft points. There isn't a very good way to describe this game, But you go around with a worm team trying to destroy the other worm team with bazookas, bombs, And other weapons.

Also if you are getting XBL, Go on amazon to buy it. Get the $65 package, It comes with a cam, A year of XBL, Some microsoft points and some XBLA Games!

[quote name='Thongsy']Wow, I didn't know all the active users of this site own an xbox 360. Damn I must've misplaced mine. The failure rate is higher than the five to seven percent they say. I don't know what it is exactly and nobody will probably, but it seems like the 360 is the PS2 of this generation, with many people having to go through many of them and others not experiencing any problems at all. All I got to say buy some kind of warranty, either from MS or the store. When I do buy a 360, it's going to cost an extra 50-75 dollars for extended warranty and that doesn't make it that much cheaper than a PS3.[/QUOTE]

So the guy who doesn't even own a 360 is commenting on the failure rate and imagine that there is a "hey with a warranty it isn't much cheaper then a PS3" at the end.

That's another thing you have take into account when you read about failure rates, console warriors :roll:

[quote name='Slate']

Also if you are getting XBL, Go on amazon to buy it. Get the $65 package, It comes with a cam, A year of XBL, Some microsoft points and some XBLA Games![/quote]
Can you get this package in stores too? o_O. In a couple months I want to get XBL for sure, so I'm keeping my eyes open for any good deals xD

can you buy an extended warranty from a place other than where you purchased the 360? I got mine at Meijer two months ago, so I'm still well within manufacturer's warranty.

[quote name='velvet396']can you buy an extended warranty from a place other than where you purchased the 360? I got mine at Meijer two months ago, so I'm still well within manufacturer's warranty.[/quote]

I'm interested in this as well, if anyone can answer. Is it possible to purchase a retailer's warranty on a 360 if you didn't buy it there?

[quote name='CounterSeal']

4) Any exclusive titles to look forward to besides Halo 3, Eternal Sonata, BD, Bioshock?[/quote]
hey, i just bought me a 360 in nov. last year.

1. costco member, but not sure. bought my 3-6-0 at target.

2. a few months back was christmas time my friend. you probably won't see same prices until next christmas. worth the 60 bones though!

3. YES! definitely a cooling problem with the 360's as you've heard. but, don't go and buy one of those gay "intercoolers". they're worthless! i myself use the Antec Notebook Cooler. It's designed for laptops, but works perfect for the 360. they even make it in pearl white which probably would look good with the 360, but i have the black one and it looks great. it matches my entertainment center.the white one never goes on sale either, hard to find. here's the link to XBOX360Fanboy.com's review of it...http://http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/03/28/how-to-keep-your-360-cooler-than-vanilla-ice/
I'd say an extra controller too, but if you go to costco, it comes in the packaged combo. oh, and a decent set of rechargeable batteries so you're not always buying new ones. i have two sets, so when one dies i have a back up ready. buy "Hybrio" rechargeables, they don't lose their charge sitting on the shelf like other rechargeable batteries! http://http://www.hybriousa.com/

4. Burnout Revenge, Guitar Hero II, Fable 2, Mass Effect, Halo Wars, Forza2

side note: make sure you lay your 360 on it's side as opposed to standing up. i used to have it standing to save space, but kept having problems with disc read errors and even got the red ring of death once. laid it on it's side and haven't had more than one read disc errror since! definitely use it laying down!

Let me know how you like it compared to PS3 as well. i love xbox live, it's insanely addictive with all the available content.

here's a pic of the antec notebook cooler under my 360...

JeannesBday2007071.jpg

[quote name='catapult37']I'm interested in this as well, if anyone can answer. Is it possible to purchase a retailer's warranty on a 360 if you didn't buy it there?[/quote]

i bought the microsoft extended warranty. i wouldn't go third party, they're usually horrible. i've gone through nightmares trying to get my sony camera repaired through a warranty company i went through from an ebay store. they're horrible! the stores (Best Buy :censored: , Circuit City :D, Costco :D, etc.) have a reputation to uphold and want return business, they should treat you well, except for BB. hate them. those internet guys could care less if you're not satisfied, they have no face to show. i'd go MS, or the store you bought it at.

I just bought a 360 today and I am treating it like a new born baby. I have it sitting ontop of the 360 box, will that be sufficient enough for cooling?

[quote name='Scrubsy']I just bought a 360 today and I am treating it like a new born baby. I have it sitting ontop of the 360 box, will that be sufficient enough for cooling?[/quote]

It should cool it enough, but make sure the box is stable enough, if the system moves while it is running(especially when running a DVD) the system could be damaged, and the DVD inside will be scratched. Also make sure the power brick is in a cool enough place.

As for the OP, are you getting a Premium, or Elite?
And, I could recommend the play and charge kit($15 on Amazon last time I check, which is $5 off retail). And you definently need and Xbox Live Gold kit, preferrably a year's worth, and a wireless adapter if you are going to have trouble with connecting the 360 via an ethernet cable. A 1600 MS Point card will also come in handy if you get Xbox Live.

As for upcoming 360 exclusives, besides the ones you mentioned, I am going to have to go with Banjo Kazooie 3 and the other games people mentioned, plus I think Eternal Sonata might be coming to the PS3, but getting it for 360 would be worth it anyway, and the Half Life 2 Orange Box would probably be worth getting for 360, instead of Ps3.

[quote name='von551']i bought the microsoft extended warranty. i wouldn't go third party, they're usually horrible. i've gone through nightmares trying to get my sony camera repaired through a warranty company i went through from an ebay store. they're horrible! the stores (Best Buy :censored: , Circuit City :D, Costco :D, etc.) have a reputation to uphold and want return business, they should treat you well, except for BB. hate them. those internet guys could care less if you're not satisfied, they have no face to show. i'd go MS, or the store you bought it at.[/quote]

so you can buy an extended from MS if you're still within your original warranty? (I imagine "with at least 30 days left" as it was with my Sony TV)

First of all, thanks for the helpful replies. I got the premium today at Costco. It was a pretty good bundle with the Arcade Unplugged game with 1 free month of Live Gold (2 months of free Gold, total), an extra controller, and a Plug and Charge kit. The Costco policy on the 360 seems to be just one year, but it is possible to get a full refund within that one year. So in essence, I could return my 360, and re-buy it with a brand new 1 year warranty. But I certainly hope it doesn't come to that.

So far, just got Gears of War. My gamertag is CounterSeal7 if anyone wants to add me.

[quote name='Spades22']Can you get this package in stores too? o_O. In a couple months I want to get XBL for sure, so I'm keeping my eyes open for any good deals xD[/quote]

You can get it in stores, But it's $80 in stores.

[quote name='velvet396']so you can buy an extended from MS if you're still within your original warranty? (I imagine "with at least 30 days left" as it was with my Sony TV)[/quote]

if i remember right it's only 30 or 90 days to get it registered. something like that. it back dates to the day of purchase...

[quote name='CounterSeal']First of all, thanks for the helpful replies. I got the premium today at Costco. It was a pretty good bundle with the Arcade Unplugged game with 1 free month of Live Gold (2 months of free Gold, total), an extra controller, and a Plug and Charge kit. The Costco policy on the 360 seems to be just one year, but it is possible to get a full refund within that one year. So in essence, I could return my 360, and re-buy it with a brand new 1 year warranty. But I certainly hope it doesn't come to that.

So far, just got Gears of War. My gamertag is CounterSeal7 if anyone wants to add me.[/quote]
yeah, nice warranty, but i'd still buy the MS extended 2-year, unless you just plan on returning your 360 every year, but you'll lose all the info on your HD, remember. hey, i'll add you today, let's tear up GOW today if you're on.

[quote name='bmachine']Does the original MS warranty transfer to a new owner if you sell your 360 to someone?[/quote]

yes, as long as you have the receipt

bread's done
Back