Thinking about getting a PSP today. What are the best games for it?

I haven't bought many PSP games but if you're into Mega Man, might I suggest MM: Maverick Hunter X. Powered Up looks like a lot of fun too. I've also played a bit of Burnout Legends and it's a pretty wicked racer with a rockin' soundtrack. Seeing that you are into action and shooter, I do have a copy of Renegade Squadron and it's a decent game. Nothing awesome in my opinion but decent. You can play it online as well.

As for games that aren't out yet, I would wait for God of War and Final Fantasy Dissidia. I got the God of War demo last year and it's the awesomest thing I've played on the PSP so far. No doubt it will win a PSP game of the year award, highly recommended.

EDIT: Also consider Ratchet & Clank, another great title I almost forgot about. The gameplay is solid and the graphics are sweet.

I personally like Crazy Taxi Fare Wars, Tony Hawk Underground Remix is fun too, those are the only two games I've played so far. I know they dont fall into your genre preference but they're pretty fun anyways

I rarely play my PSP, but when I do. I have these games Ultimate Ghost's &Goblin's (I like the music,gameplay,and graphics,also high replay value)
Tekken Dark Resurrection is fun , Metal Slug Anthology is a classic beware of loading times.. I have Killzone, Virtua Tennis & VT 3, Darkstarklers , and a few more titles that I have'nt played in a while so I'll hold my judgement on them.

Hope this helps.

Seems we have different tastes in games, but I figured I'd list the ones I've been enjoying so far anyways (just got my PSP last week):

Crush - puzzle/platformer
Dungeon Siege - action RPG
Lumines - puzzle game

Tekken Dark ressurection - Best damn PSP game ever made, The graphics are rich and its looks completey sick on the PSP

The Warriors - Cheap, entertaining and fun solid Port of a PS2/xbox game that has even more to offer than the original...Also its the warriors dammit.

Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2 - Card games i know...but its really fun and challenging

Socom fireteam bravo - I only like the first game, it has more pick up and play value than the sequals, and the multplayer is alot more fun.

Syphon Filter 1&2
Gun Showdown

Other Titles (Non-Action)
----------------------------------
Hot Shots Golf
Burnout Legends
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max

bread's done
Back