Thinking about moving to Linux- Help?

Azumangaman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
96 (99%)
So I was thinking that Linux is really neat, and the whole open-source 1000000 free application thing is really appealing to me.
So I was thinking of making the switch from XP to Linux.

Except, I have no idea how to. Switching Operating Systems sounds like a huge deal and incredibly complicated.

So, if somebody wants to set me up with some n00b friendly guides I'd be incredibly greatful (with pictures of course).

Also, some questions:

1. Will I lose any of my files?
2. Will I be able to run things like MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.? Those are essential...
3. Can I switch back to XP easily if I hate Linux?
4. Any Linux users want to tell me why Linux is so much better?

Thanks guys, I'd really appreciate it.

Azumangaman

P.S. I'm not a PC Gamer at all, so that doesn't affect me.

Well usually when you install something like an OS, it makes you re format which means you will loose everything, I'm assuming your hard drive isn't split up into partitions. There are programs like MS Word, Excel, etc etc that you can use, do not know the names but know they're out there.

Here's my advice, buy another harddrive, something cheap. You can easily get an 80 gig for 40ish or less. Probably get something smaller for really cheap. Throw it into the computer and install linux onto it. This way when you turn on the computer you can choose to boot up into linux or XP. You won't loose any of the information which is great, and you won't have to deal with re installing XP and all your files if you don't like linux. Gives you time to mess around with linux to and take your time with it while still having the option to use your computer like you did.

If your uncomfortable installing your own hard drive it's really easy, I bet we could even take you through step by step instructions to make it really really easy :D

"Will I be able to run things like MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.? Those are essential..."

The only way to run these programs in Linux is through something like WINE. But there are several open source alternatives (Open Office, Abiword, Gnumeric [spreadsheet program]) that may or may not suit your needs.

If you don't know what Linux distro to start with, you can take this quick test and find out which one best suits you.

Linux isn't as difficult or user-unfriendly as people say, not with excellent distros like Ubuntu around. If you're willing to learn a new OS, and it will take some time, you'll find that Linux offers a dizzying amount of options when it comes to security, customization, performance optimizing, synchronization, remote file access, etc.

And even if you end up keeping Windows, you can still download plenty of open source applications.

[quote name='Serik']"Will I be able to run things like MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.? Those are essential..."

The only way to run these programs in Linux is through something like WINE. But there are several open source alternatives (Open Office, Abiword, Gnumeric [spreadsheet program]) that may or may not suit your needs.

If you don't know what Linux distro to start with, you can take this quick test and find out which one best suits you.

Linux isn't as difficult or user-unfriendly as people say, not with excellent distros like Ubuntu around. If you're willing to learn a new OS, and it will take some time, you'll find that Linux offers a dizzying amount of options when it comes to security, customization, performance optimizing, synchronization, remote file access, etc.

And even if you end up keeping Windows, you can still download plenty of open source applications.[/quote]

Windows is slower than ubuntu but there are many things that won't work (or work well if it does work) on ubuntu. But that's my recommendation if you are going to linux is to get ubuntu.

If you want to get a taste of Linux, try downloading Ubuntu. Their live CD will allow you to try the OS without actually installing it on your system.

To answer your questions however...

[quote name='Azumangaman']1. Will I lose any of my files?[/QUOTE]
Not if you setup your system correctly. You might be able to shift your partions on your system as-is if you have any free space with tools such as GParted or Partition Magic. I recommend the former, since its free. The only way you will lose your files is if you decide to format your whole hard drive. In any case, if you do decide to repartition you should backup your files as a precaution. Once you do have Linux up and running, you can setup your system to read files from your Windows partition.

[quote name='Azumangaman']2. Will I be able to run things like MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.? Those are essential...[/QUOTE]
Not in Linux natively unless you use VMWare or WINE. There are plenty of free alternatives available. If you're set on Linux and still using MS Office, I would go the dual boot route.

[quote name='Azumangaman']3. Can I switch back to XP easily if I hate Linux?[/QUOTE]
If you setup Linux on a separate partition or hard drive, then yes it should be very simple to switch back.

[quote name='Azumangaman']4. Any Linux users want to tell me why Linux is so much better?[/QUOTE]
Both Windows and Linux have their advantages. Windows tends to have more software available due to its wider market share. Linux is more stable and quicker than Windows, but takes a much more "hands on" approach.

If you have to ask questions on how to even install Linux, it's probably not for you. Not trying to be a jerk, just my opinion. In my experience it is a learning process, the more time you spend with it, the easier it becomes. So like they said earlier try out a live disc and start playing around with it to see if you like it.

I tried messing around with one of these "destros" (?) a few years ago. I forgot which one but it was free and was looking forward to messing with it, however installation was extremely tricky so I left it alone.

Installing Linux is incredible easy nowadays. All it takes is to set the optical drive as the first boot device and then boot the computer with the linux disc in the drive and follow the prompts.

Most (all?) distributions can partition a drive for you during installation that will allow you to dual boot. As long as you have a decent amount of free space you don't need a second hard drive. Though you might want to make sure everything essential is backed up before starting, as user error can always occur.

As for your questions.
1 If you don't use a second hard drive or a second partition, that is if you reformat your hard drive while installing linux, yes you will lose all your files. Also if you use a second hard drive or a second partition you will be able to access your windows drives from linux.

2 You can run the OpenOffice suite, which has always been enough for me, though others will tell you it is horrendous. If MS Office is absolutely essential for you, you may be able to run it, depending on the version of Office you have, using Wine, Crossover, or Cedega. All of those are basically the same thing, a compatibility layer that tells linux what to do with windows programs. Crossover and Cedega are specialized versions of Wine that are not free. Crossover is aimed more towards applications (Office, Internet Explorer, etc) while Cedega is aimed at games. Another option is to use VirtualBox, VMWare, or Parallels to use a virtual machine to run the Windows apps you need.

3 If you use the dual boot option you will be asked which OS you want to use every time you start your computer. If you don't like Linux all you'd need to do is run a simple command from a windows boot disc to remove the boot loader and reformat the linux partitions to NTFS.

4 Bad question. Questions like this lead to arguments. Everything someone loves will be something someone else hates. My only suggestion is to try it and see what, if anything, you like about it.

Another (better?) option is to use a LiveCD or use VMWare to try it out.

Also, in my experience, dual booting never works. I used to do that, for games, when I first got into linux several years ago and would end up staying in windows all the time as sometimes I'd reboot several times in one day because I'd want to play a game, then I'd want to surf the internet/check email/etc, then play some more games, then surf some more, blah, blah, blah.

[quote name='mguiddy']Also, in my experience, dual booting never works. I used to do that, for games, when I first got into linux several years ago and would end up staying in windows all the time as sometimes I'd reboot several times in one day because I'd want to play a game, then I'd want to surf the internet/check email/etc, then play some more games, then surf some more, blah, blah, blah.[/quote]

Yeah, for awhile I contemplated having two computers: a Windows gaming rig and a slim Ubuntu box both hooked up to a KVM switch. If I wanted to play a game, I'd just switch over to the Windows machine.

Uh... I don't know if Linux is for you if you have to ask some of the more basic questions regarding OS installation, I'm not trying to be an asshole or anything, I just don't think you'll like it after you go through the hassle of installing it.

Might I suggest something like ubuntu? Or any other "Live CD" distro, which means it runs off of the CD to give you the Linux experience without having to actually partition and install it. Of course, any changes and things you do is temporary as everything resets when you reboot your computer... since you're basically just using the OS on the CD itself and not your hard drive.

Yeah, Ubuntu is the one I've been looking at. NO problem, I'm aware something like Linux probably isn't the right choice. I want to try though (at Ubuntu, that is).
So if I download the Ubuntu file off their site, then what?

Live CD.
Live CD.
Live CD.
Live CD.

Got the point yet? Don't go installing a new OS just to see if you like it. Grab a Ubuntu (or Xubuntu) Live CD and start poking around without having to install anything first.

You'll be downloading an ISO file, so be sure your burning software can burn a disc image. Burn to disc, reboot (or run CD, depending on distro) and voila.

So I recently bought a Linux magazine (to learn more about the system, etc) and It conveniently came with a disk for Ubuntu 7.10. I read up on it and it turns it its one of the LIVE CDs!
So, I went into the BIOS, made the CD-ROM drive the 1st priority boot and got nothing. It still loaded up XP. How do I fix this?

Thanks.

I was trying to work through Partitioning while installing Ubuntu, but I was too confused.
There were some choices I had to partition, mainly "guided" or "manual".
If I choose "Use Full Disk" to Partition, does that mean I wipe out XP and all my files?

^The above is during the Live CD full Installation process.

That's correct. You should choose as much space as you'll think you need to confortably run it. It shouldn't be much more than 3GB.

[quote name='dragonsho']I'm pretty sure that the Live option shouldn't install ANYTHING or ask you to partition.[/QUOTE]

:dunce:

Missed that. You're choosing the wrong option in the initial menu if you get to a partition screen.

Of course, you were pretty insistent on installing it before, so...

My advice? Get yourself an older PC and install on it instead. Anything from the last few years will work so it doen't need to be expensive. Then you can muck around learning all you want without any fear.

Oh, and go to Borders or Amazon.com and grab a copy of "Ubuntu Linux For Dummies".

The thing is, Ive backed up ALL my files and I don't really care if I lose it all at this point. I decided to work with everyones advice and I just took about 90 GIGs or so and split it off the main drive and hopefully that works.
Then I'll use the Linux LIVE CD and install Linux on the 90 gig spot. I should still have both. If not, Im still at the age (15) where I don't have any crazy documents or anything that would destroybke if they were deleted.
Hopefully the partitioning is going to work (10 minutes left or so) so I can get this going.
I screwed around with the Ubuntu OS and thought it was pretty amazing. And thanks for letting me know that there is a dummies book on Ubuntu. A big chain up in Canada (where I am) is having a sale on all Dummies books.

The Ubuntu CD is always a Live CD. It's just the way the OS works.

See install wiki for install tips.

Just a suggestion. When you're setting up your linux partitions, make /home its own partition (this is where all your personal data with each account is stored). If you do make a mistake and screw up your linux install, your user files will still be safe if you need to reinstall.

Is ubuntu easy enough for a family with no computer knowledge whatsoever to use it to get online and check email/surf if I install it all for them? There's a family in my area that has a real sick kid that they can't afford to be over there all the time but need email for updates. I have an old computer they can have but I don't have any operating systems, so I was going to put on ubuntu.

[quote name='sweeetja713']Is ubuntu easy enough for a family with no computer knowledge whatsoever to use it to get online and check email/surf if I install it all for them? There's a family in my area that has a real sick kid that they can't afford to be over there all the time but need email for updates. I have an old computer they can have but I don't have any operating systems, so I was going to put on ubuntu.[/quote]

I think it is, but I've been using linux on and off for about nine years and full time for about five...

My biggest fear about setting up someone with a linux box is that while right now they may only want to use it for web browsing and email, eventually they'll want to run some program or game or go to use a website that has some odd activex controls that they won't be able to use.

I really don't care about what they use it for in the future or if they can't. I don't even know them. The only reason I'm giving them a computer is so they can stay in touch with the doctors/kids. So if it accesses the net, they should be fine. I'll also put open office on there with it set to save in microsoft office formats. That should cover all the basics they would need.

bread's done
Back