Thinking about picking up this tv, good idea?

exileinoblivion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Alright so I need a new tv. I'm moving into an apartment this friday and my 36" crt hdtv is way to big and heavy to transport again. I'm only looking to spend around 800-900 and they have this tv for about $800 at best buy after a coupon I have. What I will be using it for is a cable box, xbox 360, ps3, and hd-dvd player. I will definitely be playing blu-rays on the ps3 also. It looked pretty nice from what I saw but I'm a little worried about going with 720 over 1080p. What do you guys think? Any recommendations for other tv's instead?

Heres the tv I'm talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN42A...18412235&sr=8-1

haha, I don't know whats wrong with me. I always choose heavy tv's. My CRT is a beast and I've had to move it 3 times now and I'm just done, it takes 4 people to move which is just ridiculous. I only have my brothers help this time so I need something that 2 people can manage.

to be honest I was looking at both plasma and lcd and this one just fit for the right price and size. To be honest I was a little worried about going with the plasma over the lcd. I hear that they imageburn and heat up really bad. But the reviews I've been reading have said the heat isn't really bad on this tv which is good. I do like the fact that plasmas produce better blacks, I have a crt and that was one of the reasons that I chose a crt over lcd at the time.

If you want to suggest a lcd to go for instead by all means it would be very much appreciated.

Plasmas are on the way out and probably won't even be on the market in 3 years. I recommend getting Samsung's LN40A550, a 40" 1080p LCD set. I plan on picking it up this coming weekend. You can get it for a little more than what you are hoping to pay but in the end its a good set for the money.

That SD tv seems sketchy at best. I just read through the entire thread and it doesn't seem like that $200 rebate will be redeemed at all. Basically people are adding a Home theater installation through geek squad because it lowers the price of the tv by $300 and then trying to use panasonics $200 rebate for a tv installation. But that is for a tv installation and the best buy geek squad installation you're supposed to add is for home theater.

bread's done
Back