Thinking of a newer (used) car, suggestions?

R1V3R5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So, my Eagle Talon is on her last leg and I'm looking at a newer car. I'm thinking about something from the around 2002-2005, around $12,000, and under 50,000 miles. I prefer smaller, sporty cars with manual transmissions but I can make exceptions. I'm leaning towards a Mazda 6 S, a Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, or a Jeep Liberty Renegade. The last one I only list because I found a stellar deal with practically no miles.

And I'm sure some of you may suggest a Honda but of most my family (and my roommate) work for the UAW. They would prefer it if I bought something (even if it's used) that was built by the UAW. And, yes, Honda have many American plants now, but they are not UAW. Here is an updated list, note that even though it says 2007, those three cars were built in the same assembly plants here in the U.S. If it's not on the list, it's not an option.
http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/auto/2007/index.cfm

So, Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, Mazda 6 S, or Jeep Liberty Renegade? Or any other suggestions from that list?

[quote name='ryanbph']didn't most of the jeep vehicles score really poorly[/QUOTE]

They could. I saw that Liberty for sale and just now started to research it. Overall, I haven't read anything really bad except for the poor fuel economy. Of course, it gets better fuel economy than any other SUV, just not as good as a car. I'll note that you said that though and look in to it more. They might totally suck.

IIRC, yahoo did a story on the 10 worst buys for auto's...and the jeep line had 3 of the 10. I have never had a jeep, and have nothing against it. I am looking to get a bigger vehicle, as I have a baby, 2 dogs and a wife to cart around and I need a bigger vehicle for work related events.

Isn't Mazda affiliated with Ford? If so...buying a Mazda = FAIL

Why even purchase something that will leave you stuck with a car payment?

My mother has a Mazda 6 S, they are pretty nice cars. I think she is at 60k and hasnt had a problem yet.

For those to lazy to look at his link, here are the cars he wants to choose from:

Buick Lucerne
Cadillac CTS
Cadillac DTS
Cadillac STS
Cadillac XLR
Chevrolet Cobalt
Chevrolet Corvette
Chevrolet Malibu
Chrysler Sebring
Dodge Avenger
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Viper
Ford Five Hundred
Ford Focus
Ford GT
Ford Mustang
Lincoln Town Car
Mazda Mazda 6
Mercury Montego
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder
Mitsubishi Galant
Pontiac G5
Pontiac G6
Pontiac Solstice
Pontiac Vibe
Saturn Aura
Saturn ION
Saturn Sky
Toyota Corolla

Go with the Viper or Ford GT :D

[quote name='crushtopher']Isn't Mazda affiliated with Ford? If so...buying a Mazda = FAIL

Why even purchase something that will leave you stuck with a car payment?[/QUOTE]

Well, Ford owns something like 33% of Mazda. And Mazda's reputation has skyrocketed with the new Mazda6 and Mazda3 series of cars so they must be doing something right.

As far as a payment goes, my current car spends more time in the shop than on the road. I don't want a car payment but it's time I admit defeat and buy something newer.

If you wanna know a secret... the Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring coupes are basically rebadged Mitsubishi Eclipses, hell they were built in the plant in Bloomington on the same factory line. This pair can sell for cheaper than their Mitsubishi counterparts which are virtually identical.... just an idea.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']If you wanna know a secret... the Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring coupes are basically rebadged Mitsubishi Eclipses, hell they were built in the plant in Bloomington on the same factory line. This pair can sell for cheaper than their Mitsubishi counterparts which are virtually identical.... just an idea.[/QUOTE]

With your avatar and name I naturally assumed you'd try selling me on the jeep. And, I know they are the same car but I think the Eclipse is the better looking of the family. And is that the old DSM factory or was that in Normal, Ill?

I've had an 2000 Eclipse GT for around 5 years. Its a lot of fun to drive. The gas mileage isn't the greatest by today's standards (something like 29/21 new), but not horrid.
My only complaint is that there is some poor design choices when the put together the engine compartment (i.e. under the hood). In order to change the 3 rear spark plugs the engine must be dropped. Besides that, my only problems with it have been a bad O2 sensor.

I don't think I could recommend the newest generation of the eclipse though. Just not the same.

[quote name='thespamofpower']I've had an 2000 Eclipse GT for around 5 years. Its a lot of fun to drive. The gas mileage isn't the greatest by today's standards (something like 29/21 new), but not horrid.
My only complaint is that there is some poor design choices when the put together the engine compartment (i.e. under the hood). In order to change the 3 rear spark plugs the engine must be dropped. Besides that, my only problems with it have been a bad O2 sensor.

I don't think I could recommend the newest generation of the eclipse though. Just not the same.[/QUOTE]

I really, really like the 3G style Eclipse GT like you have. However, there really isn't any good deals to be had around Michigan right now on these cars so I might drop it from my list. They're either used for $16k+ or they have way too many miles. I've seen one reasonable priced silver GT at a dealer but there is some questionable aftermarket accessories which makes me thinks it was probably driven hard by a young, dumb kid.

with a few more grand you can stick w/ your beloved 4g63 and go w/ an Evolution:drool:

Saturn Ion is pretty solid... my uncle has a bone stock version which i learned stick on. Its been a great car for him and i enjoyed beating on its clutch.

[quote name='naiku']with a few more grand you can stick w/ your beloved 4g63 and go w/ an Evolution:drool:

Saturn Ion is pretty solid... my uncle has a bone stock version which i learned stick on. Its been a great car for him and i enjoyed beating on its clutch.[/QUOTE]

Few more grand, huh? I would totally get an EVO if that were true. I just checked out that Saturn and it's way too "boring economy car" for me. Also, I can't go back to a n/a 4 cylinder after driving my turbocharged Talon for 7 years.

[quote name='R1V3R5']With your avatar and name I naturally assumed you'd try selling me on the jeep. And, I know they are the same car but I think the Eclipse is the better looking of the family. And is that the old DSM factory or was that in Normal, Ill?[/QUOTE]

The Sebring and Stratus coupes were built in Bloomington at the regular Mitsu factory. As far as the Liberty, I'm more partial to the previous generation Cherokee, which was made up until 2001, but the Liberty is an alright replacement. Is the Renegade you were looking at RWD or 4WD? If it's only RWD, than skip it. The Liberty gets a bad rap for being graded as a car when it's tougher than most other sport-utes in it's similar class. My mom loves hers and I can't find too terribly much to complain about it. Any reason you'd be interested in it other than it was cheap?

[quote name='R1V3R5']So, Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, Mazda 6 S, or Jeep Liberty Renegade? Or any other suggestions from that list?[/QUOTE]

In a Mazda 6 S or Liberty, I'd assume you were a douche. They're both very douchy vehicles. The Eclipse is much less douchy.

Vehicles are pretty regional though, so don't listen to me. Here in Seattle, European cars are really popular (VW, Volvo), as are older Japanese cars (80's Toyota and Honda). If somebody had a riced out car (you mention the Mazda has ground effects?) they'd be ridiculed. Hatches are popular. SUVs are ridiculed. (Cool) people here only drive American cars if they have to -- like, the car is given to them or something.

I drive a VW GTI.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']The Sebring and Stratus coupes were built in Bloomington at the regular Mitsu factory. As far as the Liberty, I'm more partial to the previous generation Cherokee, which was made up until 2001, but the Liberty is an alright replacement. Is the Renegade you were looking at RWD or 4WD? If it's only RWD, than skip it. The Liberty gets a bad rap for being graded as a car when it's tougher than most other sport-utes in it's similar class. My mom loves hers and I can't find too terribly much to complain about it. Any reason you'd be interested in it other than it was cheap?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I like the look of the Jeep Liberty. I like the Renegade version best because of the extra lights, different (better) wheels, and detachable fender flares. And it's the 4x4 version, which I'm sure would be nice here in Michigan during those crappy winters.

[quote name='R1V3R5']Actually, I like the look of the Jeep Liberty. I like the Renegade version best because of the extra lights, different (better) wheels, and detachable fender flares. And it's the 4x4 version, which I'm sure would be nice here in Michigan during those crappy winters.[/QUOTE]

Unless I totally missed out on it earlier, what's the price they're wanting for it? And the year?

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Unless I totally missed out on it earlier, what's the price they're wanting for it? And the year?[/QUOTE]

2005 model for $12,000 with 33,000 miles.

Edit: Now that I look around, it's just a good deal, nothing spectacular. I didn't realize that the Renegade was the cheapest of the 4x4 version because it's stripped down for off roading.

[quote name='R1V3R5']2005 model for $12,000 with 33,000 miles.[/QUOTE]

That's nice, about 2k-2.5k under retail probably due to the higher gas prices. I'm also assuming it's an automatic, since that's the biggest seller.

My advice, test drive em all. Figure out which one feels the best to you, but remember, when comparing the Liberty to cars, it's a different comparison. If you're not too concerned about the cost of fuel and like the idea and reliability of 4WD, then the Liberty will do pretty well by you. I realize it's just now starting summer, but once the snow hits, you'll like the 4WD.

The Liberty is a decent smallish/midsize SUV. It's not as comfortable/has as good road manners as other ones like the CRV or RAV4, but it's a tough little SOB.

[quote name='R1V3R5']
Edit: Now that I look around, it's just a good deal, nothing spectacular. I didn't realize that the Renegade was the cheapest of the 4x4 version because it's stripped down for off roading.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the double post, but I just caught this. The Renegade was a step above the Sport version, which is the cheapest 4x4 variant of Liberty. And "stripped down for off roading" ehhhh, not so much. Most everything on the Renegade is superficial. It does have a few tougher bits, but it's mainly the macho-looking Liberty.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Sorry for the double post, but I just caught this. The Renegade was a step above the Sport version, which is the cheapest 4x4 variant of Liberty. And "stripped down for off roading" ehhhh, not so much. Most everything on the Renegade is superficial. It does have a few tougher bits, but it's mainly the macho-looking Liberty.[/QUOTE]

Ah... okay. I guess I misunderstood. I just really like the Liberty and found that one for sale while car shopping so I really know nothing about them. I should probably just go and check it out.

P.S. I just checked the Jeep site and it still has all it's warranties from Chrysler.

Really? The basic warranty from Chrysler Corp is a 3 year 30,000 mile deal, at least until the lifetime powertrain warranty which was introduced for 2007 and newer models. Did the previous owner have an extended warranty on it?

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Really? The basic warranty from Chrysler Corp is a 3 year 30,000 mile deal, at least until the lifetime powertrain warranty which was introduced for 2007 and newer models. Did the previous owner have an extended warranty on it?[/QUOTE]

It's 3 year/36,000 miles for 2005 according to the Jeep site. So, it should last me maybe the rest of the year, depends on when the original owner bought it. But it looks like I can pay Chrysler to extend it before it's expiration as long as it had only one owner (not counting the dealer). Hell, it could already be expired.

Again, I was really planning on a car. So, I will go look at this but I have no idea what I'm getting at this point in time.

Yes, Ford owns Mazda. No, there is nothing wrong with Ford or Mazda. If anyone believes that, they don't know cars and should bow out of that discussion gracefully. It doesn't matter what you've heard or what you think, a Honda's as reliable as a Ford and a Ford's as reliable as a Toyota and a Toyota is as reliable as a Dodge and so on and so forth.

[quote name='btw1217']Yes, Ford owns Mazda. No, there is nothing wrong with Ford or Mazda. If anyone believes that, they don't know cars and should bow out of that discussion gracefully. It doesn't matter what you've heard or what you think, a Honda's as reliable as a Ford and a Ford's as reliable as a Toyota and a Toyota is as reliable as a Dodge and so on and so forth.[/quote]

Ford sucks. And no, a Honda is not as reliable as a Ford which is not as reliable as a Toyota...If that was the case, Consumer Reports and J.D. Power and Associates would be totally useless in this world. Please...bow out of this discussion gracefully, thank you.

[quote name='crushtopher']Ford sucks. And no, a Honda is not as reliable as a Ford which is not as reliable as a Toyota...If that was the case, Consumer Reports and J.D. Power and Associates would be totally useless in this world. Please...bow out of this discussion gracefully, thank you.[/QUOTE]

This is not really worth debating, but you might want to recheck your misconceptions of Fords. And I guess you're right, Fords and Toyotas aren't as reliable as each other if we're going by J.D. Power. Ford beat Toyota, so I guess that makes them a little more reliable. Thanks for correcting me.

Not that it matters, Honda is not part of the UAW and Toyota only has one car built by them, the Corolla. And I certainly have no interest in a Corolla.

OP, you really can't go wrong with any of the cars you're looking at already. I wouldn't recommend the Renegade though. They're great, great cars, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it'll be what you're looking for. I would check out those Mazda's if I were you though.

[quote name='R1V3R5']It's 3 year/36,000 miles for 2005 according to the Jeep site. So, it should last me maybe the rest of the year, depends on when the original owner bought it. But it looks like I can pay Chrysler to extend it before it's expiration as long as it had only one owner (not counting the dealer). Hell, it could already be expired.

Again, I was really planning on a car. So, I will go look at this but I have no idea what I'm getting at this point in time.[/QUOTE]

D'oh, my bad. I forgot that. Like I said, just test drive everything and make your decision off of that.

crushtopher- Toyota has been falling off the Consumer Reports/JD Power best car rankings lately.

[quote name='R1V3R5']I really, really like the 3G style Eclipse GT like you have. However, there really isn't any good deals to be had around Michigan right now on these cars so I might drop it from my list. They're either used for $16k+ or they have way too many miles. I've seen one reasonable priced silver GT at a dealer but there is some questionable aftermarket accessories which makes me thinks it was probably driven hard by a young, dumb kid.[/quote]

Wow thats pretty ridiculous. I paid a lot less than that when I got mine and it had less than 42k miles on it (this was in 2003). Look around a bit more if you want to get one. Otherwise, you could do what Illini Jeeper said, but those cars just don't look as good. ;)

[quote name='btw1217']This is not really worth debating, but you might want to recheck your misconceptions of Fords. And I guess you're right, Fords and Toyotas aren't as reliable as each other if we're going by J.D. Power. Ford beat Toyota, so I guess that makes them a little more reliable. Thanks for correcting me.[/quote]

Misconceptions? Where? I don't see any. After going through 4 Fords between the ages of 16 and 23 I have nothing but negative remarks for that motor company. And you're welcome for me correcting you, I'm sure it will happen again.

[quote name='crushtopher']Misconceptions? Where? I don't see any. After going through 4 Fords between the ages of 16 and 23 I have nothing but negative remarks for that motor company. And you're welcome for me correcting you, I'm sure it will happen again.[/QUOTE]

It's all in how you take care of your car. And hey, you're more than welcome to correct me and help prove my point anytime you'd like.

[quote name='btw1217']It's all in how you take care of your car. And hey, you're more than welcome to correct me and help prove my point anytime you'd like.[/QUOTE]

I vaguely remember an article about Ford surpassing Toyota in reliability, but weren't they mainly studies/reports on short term reliability, not long term?

The stigma is still there for Ford. I am never purchasing a Ford product. My Del Sol is a god amongst Civics....

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']If you wanna know a secret... the Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring coupes are basically rebadged Mitsubishi Eclipses, hell they were built in the plant in Bloomington on the same factory line. This pair can sell for cheaper than their Mitsubishi counterparts which are virtually identical.... just an idea.[/quote]
You sir are correct. I have a 2002 Dodge Stratus SE Coupe and it has a mitsubishi engine. I'm pretty sure it's only for the 2 doors and not the sedans.

Not to jack your thread here, but Im 16 and Ill be looking for my first car soon. I dont want to spend more than 3-4K on a used care, but want something decent.

Any suggestions?

[quote name='snakelda']You sir are correct. I have a 2002 Dodge Stratus SE Coupe and it has a mitsubishi engine. I'm pretty sure it's only for the 2 doors and not the sedans.[/QUOTE]

You nailed it. The sedans and Sebring convertibles were done in-house by Chrysler. Chrysler and Mitsubishi used to have a pretty good relationship until "ze Germans" believed they knew how to run an American car company :roll: (but that is another story).

Some other examples of cross badged Mitsu-Chrysler products:

Dodge Dakota/Mitsubishi Raider
Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000GT
Eagle Talon/Mitsubishi Eclipse/Plymouth Laser to name a few.

[quote name='KillJoi99']Not to jack your thread here, but Im 16 and Ill be looking for my first car soon. I dont want to spend more than 3-4K on a used care, but want something decent.

Any suggestions?[/quote]

Between 3-4K here are some suggestions:

Toyota Camry
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Nissan Sentra

Anything Japanese... Not American like Chevy, Ford, GMC, Pontiac

[quote name='CrimGhost']Get a VW GTI, you'll thank me later...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because that is totally built by the UAW.

You know I don't mean to totally stray from the list. But maybe a Scion TC??

I used to have a Chevy Silverado which quickly started having problem after problem and when it caught fire weekend before last I was at my wits end with the thing.

I had been eyeing the Scion TCs for quite some time. Made a pit stop by a Toyota dealership and ended up financing one last Thursday. >.<

I can honestly say I've never loved a vehicle more then I love this car.

They're damn cheap cars for all the extra stuff that is actually standard. Mine was $20,000, I traded in the truck for $8,300 and I only owe around $12,000 now.
If you have excelent credit you can get a low interest rate on the thing. I'm only paying $242 a month for the thing.

27 mpg highway, 22 mpg on the streets.

The car is damn quick, and all the extras for just a $20,000 car is mind blowing.

2 sun roofs, power locks, windows and mirrors. Seats 5 people, come with the rims and spiffy looking tail lights and head lights. Pretty cheap on the insurance. Comes with a friggun sub next to the spare tire. All your AUX, IPod and Power outlets are in your center console. 3 door.

It's endless. I'll post pictures of mine, just got a limo tint job on it, she's a beauty. :D

I can post links to pictures for visuals though.

http://image.automotive.com/f/misce...667+cr1+re0+ar1/2008-scion-tc-interiorjpg.jpg

http://www.autospies.com/images/users/omarrana/2008_scion_tc_official.jpg

If you have some money to put down, decent credit and willing to finance a car it's not too shabby of a deal and damn decent car.

ive heard good things about the g6, supposedly theyre a little fun to drive.

i wouldnt buy anything priced under $40k on that list.

[quote name='Dynasty1756']Between 3-4K here are some suggestions:

Toyota Camry
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Nissan Sentra

Anything Japanese... Not American like Chevy, Ford, GMC, Pontiac[/quote]

How come?

From your list go with the Mazda 6. Insurance would kill on an Eclipse (I checked when I got my WRX). SUVs are going to hurt you for gas

[quote name='JBaby']From your list go with the Mazda 6. Insurance would kill on an Eclipse (I checked when I got my WRX). SUVs are going to hurt you for gas[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it's cheaper than or equal to my current turbocharged car for insurance. Not that it matters, I'm 29 and have a perfect driving record. Also, while the Mazda 6 has gotten more votes here on CAG, it has more mechanical problems in the reviews I've read. And, yes, that Jeep would totally suck on gas.

That being said, it's more likely that I will dump money in to the Talon I currently drive and just buy a motorcycle for the summer. If I use the motorcycle for all the nice days, she'll pay for herself in gas.

My mazda protege was a champ until I hit 90,000 miles... then in the span of 3 month, my alternater went bad, power steering pump and another pump had to be replaced.. and now my air compressor is going..

[quote name='R1V3R5']I'm sure it's cheaper than or equal to my current turbocharged car for insurance. Not that it matters, I'm 29 and have a perfect driving record. Also, while the Mazda 6 has gotten more votes here on CAG, it has more mechanical problems in the reviews I've read. And, yes, that Jeep would totally suck on gas.

That being said, it's more likely that I will dump money in to the Talon I currently drive and just buy a motorcycle for the summer. If I use the motorcycle for all the nice days, she'll pay for herself in gas.[/quote]

I was pretty surprised at the Eclipse's insurance. I'm 25 in an 04 WRX (also turbo) clean driving record. Apparantly, my insurance company's rationale for the premium on the Eclipse is that people tune them up, then crash them. Not really fair to Mitsubishi, but it's all stats.

Your plan sounds good too. Nothing wrong with a bike ride in the summer :) .

bread's done
Back