Thinking of applying to EB Games

Timbo

CAG Veteran
I enquired about it and I was told to drop off a resumé with any relevant info pretaining to games... What kind of things would I put in there?

(ie Systems owned, what genre i like...etc)?

Do you like to sell stuff? Be prepared to be forced to sell subscriptions, and reservations. Also be prepared to ask every single person who comes in "Did you bring your trades today?" Good luck.

[quote name='bdgskarulz']Do you like to sell stuff? Be prepared to be forced to sell subscriptions, and reservations. Also be prepared to ask every single person who comes in "Did you bring your trades today?" Good luck.[/quote]

Put that you love working with customers and greatly enjoying the challenge of getting people to do what they don't want to do or didn't intend on doing when they walked in! :lol:

Wasn't there a forum post a while back about someone putting in all sorts of game knowledge, and not being hired because they knew too much or something like that?

Video game knowledge is a plus, but you gotta prove to them that you will be the type that can sell their discount card, scratch warranties, and presells.

Who cares what games you know. All you need to do is hype up what they want you to hype up. Anything the customer needs to know is in the magazine you should get them to subscribe to. Sell what they want you to sell. Meet those quotas. They like the words "Team player", "Upselling", and "Communication Skills"

In fact, the less you know about games, the better. It tells them that you are more open to whatever they say instead of being some stalwart game nerd.

They don't want smart individuals who can think for themselves. They don't want them for customers, and the certainly don't wan them for employees. What they do want, however, are sheep. Dumb white sheep. Clay they can form into the shape of a lean mean trade-in collecting, used game selling machine.

[quote name='Timbo']I enquired about it and I was told to drop off a resumé with any relevant info pretaining to games... What kind of things would I put in there?

(ie Systems owned, what genre i like...etc)?[/QUOTE]

A resume? For an EB job? Jeez, I figured the application just asked if you had a pulse, given some of the winners that work there.

Some of the others have offered good advice. Phrases like "upselling" and "teamwork" are key. They probably are dissuaded if you give them too much game information; they want employees, not those who overtly would treat EB as their playground/library. They don't prevent it, but don't place as much emphasis on that as you would emphasize your willingness to work in a team environment.

[quote name='bdgskarulz']Do you like to sell stuff? Be prepared to be forced to sell subscriptions, and reservations. Also be prepared to ask every single person who comes in "Did you bring your trades today?" Good luck.[/quote]

Not every EB is like this.

I've been going to one for about 5 years now and I have been asked to reserve a game maybe 10 times since then, and I've never heard them try to sell me a subscription or ask if I brought in trades.

That's because they've met their quotas.

Also you've been frequenting one store for 5 years. They know better than to throw those buzzwords at you and are probably familiar with your buying habits. Now when Parent McCustomer comes in, that's the time to cash in on their naiveté.

[quote name='bdgskarulz']Do you like to sell stuff? Be prepared to be forced to sell subscriptions, and reservations. Also be prepared to ask every single person who comes in "Did you bring your trades today?" Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Being asked if I "brought trades today" every time I enter an EB is so idiotic. Half the time I want to smack the person who queried me. I don't have a backpack, there's nothing in my hands...you think I'm hiding Chrono Trigger in my boxers?

I can turn down a subscription or a reservation easily, but that question just bothers me on some deep, metaphysical level. [/randomrant]

[quote name='FanboyOfNone']Being asked if I "brought trades today" every time I enter an EB is so idiotic. Half the time I want to smack the person who queried me. I don't have a backpack, there's nothing in my hands...you think I'm hiding Chrono Trigger in my boxers?

I can turn down a subscription or a reservation easily, but that question just bothers me on some deep, metaphysical level. [/randomrant][/quote]

:lol:

How funny that I should see this thread. I too am applying at the local GS/EB.

What kind of things would I put in there?

(ie Systems owned, what genre i like...etc)?

Was that your attempt at a joke? They won't care about that, at all. They may be passingly interested in that fact that you know games. What they are much more interested in is your past experience, how well you can persuade and upsell, and your looks (cleaner cut, the better). And also remember, if you are hired now, you are being hired as seasonal. Expect to be let go after the New Year, and to work Black Friday. Good luck.

[quote name='pop311']Do EB Stop employees get a discount?[/QUOTE]

I am eagerly awaiting the answer to this question.

I'd wager they get some kind of discount, though I'd also wager that the discount would be negligible. Maybe 10%, or 15% at most.

Any EB Stop employees able to verify?

15% off new...25% with discount card off preowned. At least, that's how it was before the merger happened.

[quote name='Scahom1']15% off new...25% with discount card off preowned. At least, that's how it was before the merger happened.[/quote]
i don't believe you can use your edge card anymore to combine with your employee discount. but as for the 15% off new it doesnt apply to systems.

but you DO get 30% off at barnes and nobles if your a reader.

but in all honesty working @ a gs or eb is a great job while you in college just want a retail job where you can still get a management position that will look good on a resume.

but dont get trapped there, ive seen too many 35+ workers that are middle management working at the store level.

good luck.

bread's done
Back