Thinking of buying first dog - Any advice?

Zen Davis

Banned
I've come down to either a Golden Retriever, an Akita, or a Siberian Husky. I'm not sure which I should get or how I should go about training any of them.

I'm pretty sure that I'd like to get one as a puppy, but I'm wondering how expensive they are to take care? My house is pretty big and I have plenty of time to take of the animal so that's not an issue. I'm just concerned about buying a dog and suddenly not having the cash flow to take of them. A good example would be vet bills.

Any advice would be grand! :)

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']Adopt.[/quote]

Can you give me more advice and information on this option. :)

Check your local Humaine Socuety. Also many of the larger pet store chains "PetSmart, Petco" have rescue groups come in with dogs. (That's how I got mine) The dogs are generally healthier that pure breds, pure breds have a whole host of health issues realeted to breeding and in-breeding to keep the breed pure. Also they are very much cheaper. My dog (a Rott-Husky mix) cost me $80 but that included spaying and the first year of shots. As far as costs go if your dog is healthy you don't spend much on it. Food and treats are the only monthly expenses for me, and I take my dog to the vet once a year for a checkup and shots and that costs me about $100.

I agree with the adopting. My friend got a Siberian Husky Wolf, sweetest damn dog ever. I would take it from them if they'd let me. You just have to be REALLY careful with these dogs because they could kill any other pets if you have any. On the plus side, if you have neighbors with cats that wander into your yard... it's a bonus!

But yeah, go with the Siberian Husky, they kick ass.

I've got a red Siberian Husky, he's probably the coolest dog I've ever had.
I also have two cats, and he doesn't really bother them but they slap the crap out of him when he does, but he just leaves them alone after that.

If you raise them around smaller pets usually theyre alot more gentle.

A great dog is a miniaute schnauzer. They don't shad, they have the attitude of a bigger dog and they can go places with you. They are also very smart and tough. Plus you can have them inside alot and not have to give them constant attention.

If it's your first dog for the love of god don't get a puppy. Go adopt one from the local shelter. A pet is like a child that will need care for up to 20 years if your lucky.
Puppies are more expensive to care for then older dogs. You also wont have to worry about training it too much if you get one from a shelter since they are often times trained a bit already.

Save the life of an unfortunate dog at the shelter.
If you're not prepared to give it the time effort and love that a newborn child requires for a few years , then a puppy is not for you.

I agree with the adopting option. We adopted Sheena (Australian shepard - collie mix) from the humane Society, and she was the best dog I've ever had. Lived 14 years, and was very sick when we adopted her. It feels good knowing we took a sick dog no one else wanted and she had 14 loving years of life because of us.

Someone will buy the pure breeds available, I say get the thrown away puppy no one else wants.

I have an English bulldog. He's such a great nice dog. I couldn't be happier....much better than the Golden Retriever bitch I used to have. :lol:

Two common sense things to keep in mind when getting a dog (especially if it's your first):

1. Read up on the breed(s) which catch your fancy. While people tend to focus on breeds which they find cute, it's a good idea to do some simple research into characteristics of the breed (e.g. their typical energy level, how easy they are to train, common personality "quirks," etc...)

Having plenty of time to spend with your dog is really great, but if you are looking forward to jogging with your doggy, you should not assume that a big dog is going to have much more energy than a little dog. Some large breeds can often be known to be pretty lazy, while some high-strung smaller breeds can go nuts if they're not exercised, regularly. At any rate, specific information on the breed(s) you are interested in beats vague assumptions (obviously.)

2. Please take some time to consider the source. Voting with your dollars is something we all do in almost every aspect of our lives. When the time comes to buy or adopt your new doggy, please spare a few minutes to find out what sort of place you are patronizing. Is it a puppy mill, which keeps its breeding bitches in inhumane conditions? A pet store at the mall which shrugs off high mortality rates for the sake of high profit margins? Or, can you see with your own eyes (i.e. not glamorized photos on a web site or touchy feely quotes in a brochure) that it's a place where there is some thought spared to the animals, as living things?

Definitely adopt if you can. If however you do want a puppy, find a reputable breeder. As mentioned before, pure bred dogs do tend to have more health problems, but a good breeder will know how to avoid them. I've owned an Akita and curreently have a pure siberian husky and a husky/malamute.. For a first time owner, I would NOT recommend getting a husky. They are wonderful dogs, but can be very stubborn. Many people mistake this behavior as low intelligence. To the contrary huskies are actually very intelligent and have been bred to make their own decisions (read up on sled dogs to see why). However thei ability to think for themselves makes them harder to train and even when they are trained, the dog has to agree that it's a good idea to "lay down" before he/she actually does it. ( I should note here that my husky is an alpha male, thus being even more stubborn) All that being said, I wouldn't give mine up for the world. The husky will want to be with you all the time. They are not to be left alone if it can be avoided as they are very prone to seperation anxiety and can be destructive. I give my husky a few toys when I go out to help with this. Huskies are very clean and don't require much bathing. They are very friendly, affectionate, and once you are used to their quirks, easy to live with.

My experience with the Akita was similar to the husky. Again, probably not the best choice for a first dog. Akitas are extremely protective and if they are not raised near other animals are very agressive to animals. It is near impossible to break them of this if they have not been raised with other animals. An Akita will attack anything that it percieves as a threat to you. Other dogs, cats, rodents, bees (not kidding), plants swaying in a gentle breeze, etc. They are very friendly towards people and are wonderful around kids. They can generally be trusted alone as they don't suffer from seperation anxiety too much. My Akita trained well, but I hear that most can be a little difficult. Like huskies, they are very intelligent, but somewhat stubborn at times. Shedding happens twice a year, and due to them having two coats is extreme. An Akita will have to be brushed at least every other day when shedding season starts.. Wonderful dogs, but be aware of their aggression towards other animals.

For adopted dogs, how long does it take them to adjust, especially for someone who is a first time animal owner?

I just got a dog too. I take it for a walk one time a day. Each walk 30-45 minutes, I head back home when the dog stops walking and looks tired. After we get home it naps. After it wakes up I look out the window and I could tell its bored, which makes me feel sorry for it. I wouldn't recommend keeping a dog inside your house. Even if you wash the dog there will always be an odor, plus a lot of hairs. My dog has the whole yard plus the garage. Cleaning up the poops isn't very fun. Since I drive to the park because its kind of fair from where I live it vommited in the car 3 times.

Do not get a Siberian Husky as your first dog! We have one that is 10 years old now, and she is the sweetest, most well-behaved dog that we've ever had. However, Huskies love to roam and are great escape artists. When we had her out on our farm, she would leave for 2-4 days at a time and then return to eat and sleep, then leave again. They also require a GREAT deal of exercise, as they are working dogs. Not the ideal if you haven't had a dog before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Husky

"Proper training requires persistence and patience. Siberian Huskies are not generally recommended for first time dog owners, as their strong will and desire to run are difficult for inexperienced owners to manage. Siberian Huskies have strong running instincts and therefore for their own safety should never be left to run free off-leash. They have little "homing instinct" and will run for long distances, and therefore should always be kept on a leash or in a fenced yard. Siberians also dig large holes and will show considerable ingenuity in escaping from fenced runs. As sled dogs they have a very strong desire to pull, thus good obedience training is recommended."

[quote name='Zen Davis']What are everyone's thoughts on the Golden Retriever in that case?[/quote]

I have no experience with retrievers... but just reading info off the web seems to lead me to believe that they are much easier to care for.

Wiki: "It is one of the most common family dogs as it is easy to handle, very tolerant, and normally very happy and friendly. It is a low-maintenance dog and thrives on attention, regular exercise, and a balanced diet [and regular veterinary check-ups]."

[quote name='rabbitt']I hear Akita's are smart.

Check around your town for a good Vet. Do some back history of any lawsuits. Etc.[/QUOTE] My grandmother used to have three of them. Good dogs.

Make sure you feed it quality food! The cheap stuff often requires that you give them more and is less digestable too. That means more in/more out! Seriously though, quality food is less likely to give them gas and other undesired effects.

[quote name='bmsdaddy']Make sure you feed it quality food! The cheap stuff often requires that you give them more and is less digestable too. That means more in/more out! Seriously though, quality food is less likely to give them gas and other undesired effects.[/QUOTE] http://nlpp.com/products.html?topic=adult (one of my dad's clients, but it's not like I'm getting a kickback for this or anything :lol: )

I have owned many dogs, including golden and Labrador retrievers, American Eskimo Dogs, and some mixed breed shelter dogs.

With the options you were presented I would say go for the golden retriever. They are very sweet, gentle dogs and are easily trained. And very intellegent. That is why they are so widely used as guide dogs for the hearing/vision impaired. They have alot of patience and are very good with other pets, people and adapting to different enviroments. They have a few quirks - most breeds do, as goldens were originally bred to *retrieve*. They love a good game of fetch and will often just bring you all kinds of things out of the blue and look to you for approval. This can be cute if its your slippers but not so cute if they are a little drooled on.

A 30 minute walk and another 30 minute playtime with 15-20 min of training a day is enough to keep them excerised and in good health and spirits. Being very intellegent they will require alot of not only love, but different things to do. Its a good idea to give them a nice variety of toys and keep to a regular training schedule, they WILL look forward to it and are eager to learn and please.

I would suggest finding a reputable breeder and giving them a call. Most good breeders will not mind if you are looking for a "pet" "grade" dog and will be more than happy to let you visit and see the puppies, the parents and the grounds they are raised in. It will give you a nice opportunity to see if that breed is indeed for you. There are usually options to purchase an older dog, one that didnt pan out for showing due to injury or not meeting the stringent requirements. From a good breeder, this is a great way to get a dog that is already trained somewhat and has been acclimated to people. It will take awhile for them to warm up to you but they will eventually. There is nothing like raising a dog from puppy to adult, but it does require ALOT of patience and time and even more training. They have no idea of the world around them and its up to you to teach them, just like a child would be.

Adopting a mixed breed from a shelter is a good idea, but I would not think it would be a good idea for a first time dog owner. Heres why. ALOT of shelter dogs come with a boatload of baggage. You are NOT their first owner, they have likely had a rough life and thus many personality traits are already so imbedded that it will either take alot of time to correct or else you w ill have to learn to live with them. Some of these dogs have been abused and beaten previously and show aggression to others once they have warmed up to you. Plus they tend to suffer from seperation anxiety, and other problems.

For example I had a lab/dalmation mix that I had taken from a friend who destroyed my backyard, bit my other dogs and basically reigned terror for months. Another was a cocker spaniel mixture that was so shy she would pee all over the floor if anyone else entered the house, during thunderstorms, loud sounds, etc. And would cower and chew through things when I had company over. It took TWO years to break her of these habits, so I am just warning you. Adopting a dog is a wonderful thing, but PLEASE be aware that there are potential hazards in going that route, and some of them can seem quite daunting when you have an animal on your hands with behavior problems put there by someone else. Dont be one of those people that are doing a "great deed" and "bettering themselves" by adopting a dog only to realize that the one they picked out is something they cannot live with and end up returning the dog to the shelter, thus prolonging the animal's circle of sadness.

I have seen this happen SO many times, and its always been so sad. Also, if you do get a dog be prepared to give him/her your all. If you move, the dog should move with you. Pets get attached, they become family. So whatever you do, read up extensively on whatever breed you are interested in. As others have pointed out, huskies and akitas are stubborn, really intellegent, and huskies tend to make a landmine of potholes out of your backyard as akitas get really attached to one or two people and aggressive to any "threats" they percieve. They were trained to do this. Akitas were guard dogs, huskies were sled dogs. These behaviors served a purpose for their working enviroment. Be smart, be aware and take these things into consideration. Herding dogs will herd, sporting dogs will fetch things or point/flush etc. its in their blood.

Dont assume a big dog will need tons of excerise either. Greyhounds are gentle, sweet, and VERY lazy dogs. They need a good walk but other than that they are done for the day. They were bred to run very fast, for short periods of time and thats it. They have no stamina. A quick walk and some play and they are ready to kick it on the couch with you for the rest of the day and have little interest in the outdoors. They also require little brushing, dont shed much and are easily trained and very friendly. They are a great dog for those that havent had a dog before - and there are tons of rescue ones available as well. Just be minded of the warning about dogs that were previously owned.

A long post I know, but hopefully an important one and you will take these th ings into consideration. I hope you find a dog thats right for you, be it a puppy or adult, purebreed or mixed. Dogs are great companions and even better pets.

I agree that you should adopt from a shelter. Help an animal out instead of helping make some greedy pet store money.

I agree with the early post about Akita's. My girl who past away a year ago was an Akita/Chow mix. Very affectionate protective dog. Medium sized and somewhat hairy. You do need to brush regularly. It's true about other animals, she always wanted to "see up close" any other dogs when I walked her. Chased any cat that got into the backyard and for the little time I had an Iguana, when I took him out and was showing him attention, she'd be jealous. Didn't attack him though probably cause he'd whip his tail at her nose. We got her from the Humane Society when she was two and it didn't take her long to adjust. She was with us for 12 years and I'd never give it back.

I want to thank everyone for their help and stories. I really appreciate it. As was mentioned by Kittygirl, the main reason I'm weary of adoptions is because of the baggage that comes with the animal and I don't know how well I'd be able to handle that since I've never owned a pet before.

I'm mainly looking for a 'buddy dog' and am quite aware of the responsibilities that such an animal will encompass. I'm 24 so I'm sure I'll be able to hand those things. I just want to make sure that I make the right choice in the animal that I pick.

Although I will investigate local shelters, I am still leaning towards a puppy, or a slightly more mature dog has been house trained. If anyone has any other stories, feel free to share. I would love to hear them. :)

Adopting is nice and all, but I would get a dog from a breeder. In one of the online guides I read, it says dogs who are kept in small cages are the hardest to house break. So stay away from the chain stores. I'd take a look at your local paper and see if anything interests you in the pet section.

I would get a Golden Retriever as your first dog. They are very smart and awesome dogs. The shedding sucks, but if you brush them a lot, it shouldn't be a big issue.

I'd just be afraid if you adopted, the dog would be all fucked up and traumatized. No thanks.

clifford-3_walking.gif

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Husky

"Proper training requires persistence and patience. Siberian Huskies are not generally recommended for first time dog owners, as their strong will and desire to run are difficult for inexperienced owners to manage. Siberian Huskies have strong running instincts and therefore for their own safety should never be left to run free off-leash. They have little "homing instinct" and will run for long distances, and therefore should always be kept on a leash or in a fenced yard. Siberians also dig large holes and will show considerable ingenuity in escaping from fenced runs. As sled dogs they have a very strong desire to pull, thus good obedience training is recommended."[/QUOTE]
Its sounds incredibly fun to run around all summer with a husky. Roaming free and nailing bitches around the 'hood. I think I'm gonna go watch Iron Will. Or Snow Dogs.

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k'] Heres why. ALOT of shelter dogs come with a boatload of baggage. You are NOT their first owner, they have likely had a rough life and thus many personality traits are already so imbedded that it will either take alot of time to correct or else you w ill have to learn to live with them. Some of these dogs have been abused and beaten previously and show aggression to others once they have warmed up to you. Plus they tend to suffer from seperation anxiety, and other problems.[/QUOTE]This pretty much describes my dog that I rescued from the shelter. She would get terrified whenever someone reached toward her. I mean so-scared-she-couldn't-even-move type of scared whenever someone went to pet her. It took a lot of time and patience to teach her that not all people are going to abuse her. She would get scared when she was left alone too. It's been about 2 years since I got her and she is one of the sweetest, most obedient dogs I've ever had. I'm glad I never gave up on her and I won't trade her for the world.

What I've heard from adoption is that you usually dont get a pure bred dog, it just depends on what your looking for. And the baggage that may come from an older dog, you might need to try for a pup.

As for types of dogs, I have a Golden Retreiver myself, and a friend of mines has a Siberaian Husky. My Golden Retriever is pretty obedience, very good friend, I just cant really see any faults with it. Hair gets everywhere though, but that may be for ever dog. As for the Siberian Husky, it seems to be a very strong dog. Somewhat obediant, but I've seen my friend resort to the use of sandwich meats to lure his dog to get him to come back home (I accidently opened his garage door one time, ran down the block >.

We were lucky enough to rescue our dog when she was a puppy. My buddy had taken her in, but his kids were really bad with her, treating her like a rag-doll. I had joked the night before at his house that I was going to take her home with me, and the next day at work he asked me if we were serious.

Nobody knows what she is, but she definitely is terrier, and I think dachsund. As far as training, it took a few weeks of patience with long walks (LOOOOOONNNNNGG WALKS), but with proper reinforcement, she learned quickly.

I would recommend a terrier, especially if you don't have a huge place.

My wife and I have had 6 dachshunds in the time we' ve been together
My first: Salvador was a rescue, still a puppy and the owners said he would bite too much... he was teething...
Second: Achillies (another puppy) was another rescue by my now wife from the vet she worked at, he had front feet that turned inward.. the couple who had bred him were going to have him PUT TO SLEEP... he is fine now
Third: Scooter rescued as an adult from being put to sleep, apparently he'd bitten a child that was aggressive with him... he ended up being the sweetest of dogs
Monet: Actual purchase, have had 2 litters of puppies with her and ...
#5 Charlie, a AKC purchase long haired chocolate that looks like the dogs in the calenders
#6 Darla... my little baby she was among the second litter, the surviving puppy from the first lives with my mom, one from the second lives with my wifes mother

Look up rescue groups in your area... great dogs become unwanted for the saddest of reasons

[quote name='zman73']My wife and I have had 6 dachshunds in the time we' ve been together[/quote]
Doxie CAGs unite! I've got 2 mini-dachshunds!

To the OP: I definitely recommend the adoption route...most breeds have their own rescue organizations that will link you up with the type of dog you want. For example, one of mine came from Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue...I'm sure Akitas and Retrievers have rescue societies, as well. Just Google 'em.

Petfinder.com is also a great resource for locating an adoption dog in your area. Like people, rescue dogs come in all kinds of ages, temperaments and personalities (and yes, emotional baggage) that you have to fully embrace before making a commitment to. People who foster homeless/abused pets want you and the animal to live happily together...they'll generally allow you to spend time with a potential adoptee so you can see what you're getting yourself into.

Avoid pet stores at all cost, especially if they're in a mall. They truck in feeble, unhealthy animals from puppy mills in states with lax animal cruelty laws and then charge you hundreds to thousands of dollars for the privilege of funding over-breeding, poor living conditions, and negligence.

And, whatever you do, don't feed your pets Iams or Eukaneuba products...those fuckers test on animals.

I have to agree with the people who say go to the Humane Society. The dog will be so grateful to have a caring owner (provided you don't beat it), you'll have a loyal friend for life, which will come in handy when you are in a pinch and need to make some money by fighting him with other dogs.

Come on now, did you really expect me to go any other route?

miniature schnauzer are good dogs. My buddy has one and yea they don't need a lot of time. Whatever you do do not get a Rat Terrier...My gf and I can't stand it, small yippy, annoying, scared of everything. Think I might do her a favor and get her something else...Damn dog needs so much attention and exercise and she always bitches about it.

bread's done
Back