Thinking of getting into the world of EEE PC's

Scrubsy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I have been dealing with normal laptops for quite awhile and I am sick of lugging them around when I only use them for internet or other simple tasks. I have been looking at the line of eee pc's lately and they look pretty interesting. I was just looking for some feedback from fellow CAG's who own one and which one do you recommend? The 1000 series with the 40GB SSD seems to be the one that has perked my interest. Any feedback is appreciated.

realize that there are many other brands of netbooks to choose from (not just Asus EEE)
like the Dell Mini Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, HP Mini, MSI Wind, etc

Acer's netbook was the most popular in 2008. MSI Wind is also popular. However I'm personally waiting until Windows 7 comes out, not only for the OS, but because better hardware acceleration for video will be available.

Just know that this is currently the most competitive market in tech. I'd argue even more so than mobile phones. Netbooks are going to be big again for holiday '09.

There's not a lot of options out there if you're using the guts (CPU, chipset, etc.) as your basis to buy. Usually comes down to things like build quality, comfort of keyboard, LCD resolution, and battery life.

The cheap ass in me wants to keep waiting for better, honest-to-god options to become available, but I really, really want one NOW as a netbook would fit my at-home and travel computing habits nicely. There's supposedly more robust chipsets out there for the Atom CPUs, but I'm not sure when we'll see them. I'm waiting now, but if I don't hear good news about future netbooks in the next month I'll probably crack sometime before April.

[quote name='dothog']There's not a lot of options out there if you're using the guts (CPU, chipset, etc.) as your basis to buy. Usually comes down to things like build quality, comfort of keyboard, LCD resolution, and battery life.

The cheap ass in me wants to keep waiting for better, honest-to-god options to become available, but I really, really want one NOW as a netbook would fit my at-home and travel computing habits nicely. There's supposedly more robust chipsets out there for the Atom CPUs, but I'm not sure when we'll see them. I'm waiting now, but if I don't hear good news about future netbooks in the next month I'll probably crack sometime before April.[/quote]
Im in the same boat. They look good now, but like apple, there will be a newer better model right around the corner.

2008 was when everybody just wanted to get a netbook out their with their name on it. 2009 will be the year of tech advancements. This is a good year to jump in. But I'm personally waiting until Q3 or later.

[quote name='Sokkratez']2008 was when everybody just wanted to get a netbook out their with their name on it. 2009 will be the year of tech advancements. This is a good year to jump in. But I'm personally waiting until Q3 or later.[/QUOTE]
I'm hoping you're right. After my post I went through the source material for the posts at engadget relating to the Nvidia Ion chipset (there were a bunch more added after CES), and it sounds like it will get onto netbooks by the summer even though Intel's supposedly not too happy about it. A lot of people are bitching that the 9400M is "too much" graphical power, but I'm willing to pay a $50-100 premium to know that my little internet/MS office machine can handle video as easily as it does e-mail.

The addition of decent high-res video playback will make this perfect for travel. Some might add light gaming into that, but I only PC game on my desktop so it's not a priority. I'm excited for this.

Using a EEE 904 right now. I dont regret it for a second. This model has the shell for the 1000 series, but the 9" screen size of the 900 series, making the keyboard just a bit larger. Does everything I need it to. Battery lasts about 5 hours or so unless you are multitasking or playing games or something. EEE models are incredibly similar to Acer Aspire models, however Amazon has the EEE models priced cheaper by about 10%.

[quote name='Sokkratez']2008 was when everybody just wanted to get a netbook out their with their name on it. 2009 will be the year of tech advancements. This is a good year to jump in. But I'm personally waiting until Q3 or later.[/quote]
This is exactly what I was planning to do. Netbooks started creeping up slowly in 2008, but I'm sure there's going to be one or two more company's that make netbooks the HOT thing in 2009-- whether it be Apple or whoever makes the next step.

But, if I were to buy one now, I would look at the Samsung NC10. Nice screen, better keyboards than most netbooks, and a good battery life. The only thing is, there's no SSD option, so... yeaaah, if you really wanted to see how cool an SSD would work, tough luck. I'm not sure if they offer different OS options (I know the Eee and other netbooks offer Linux or XP). NC10 is pretty much the other option if you're not getting an Eee 1000, since they're both really similar.

If I were you, I'd just wait. Netbooks are only going to jump to the next level this year and you'll regret purchasing a "last-gen" netbook.

I bought my acer aspire one 160gb 1gb ram 6 cell battery with a acer mini mouse for 382 shipped to my house

I installed the windows 7 beta and it runs better than windows xp

I love the acer and installed some games on it (half life, gta III, american mcgee's alice, ect)

I think I have settled on an Asus or Acer. Now the question is SSD or HDD. It will either be 40GB solid state or a 120GB hard drive. Any comments? I have seen videos on the difference, but was looking for personal experience.

I have a 11in. Thinkpad x31 and frankly, unless one of them come out with a nipple mouse, have XP, and is around $300 I won't be buying it and will stick with my 1337 laptop.

[quote name='Scrubsy']I think I have settled on an Asus or Acer. Now the question is SSD or HDD. It will either be 40GB solid state or a 120GB hard drive. Any comments? I have seen videos on the difference, but was looking for personal experience.[/QUOTE]

I would go with the SSD. Given that how these are suposed to be portable and moved around alot I dig the lack of moving parts. Throw in a memcard or thumb drive and you can bump up the system another 8 gigs easy.

Personally my 160gb acer is quiet and very reliable. i like having the extra space. 40 gb is really only like 20ish useable gigs

I just bought my wife the pink Acer Aspire One w/ the 160Gb hard drive. She absolutely loves it so far. She mostly just surfs online and uses MS Word for writing in her spare time. We also use the build in Web cam when I am traveling out on business to video chat and everything works great. The build quality seems good so far and everything has been working well. If I hadn't just bought a new tablet PC I would probably pick another up for myself as well for quick use projects.

A followup:

I just gave my wife the Samsung NC-10 netbook. It's awesome. We even hooked it up to the HDTV in the living room and streamed NetFlix "Watch It Now" movies over wireless, it was beautiful. Plenty of battery.

[quote name='Sideswiper']A followup:

I just gave my wife the Samsung NC-10 netbook. It's awesome. We even hooked it up to the HDTV in the living room and streamed NetFlix "Watch It Now" movies over wireless, it was beautiful. Plenty of battery.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it seems that more than any other netbook, the Samsung is the one that gets the most kudos after the purchase. Not that the others are bad, just that all the talk is usually pre-purchase (e.g. "OOOH I can't wait to make my Wind into a Hackintosh!" and then nothing after the fact).

Seeing as how performance across the board can't be that different given the similarities of the guts, I always chalk it up to battery life, but maybe that oversimplifies it. In any case, I don't see how people can buy a netbook, get 3-4 hours of battery life, and accept that as par for the course. Look at how tiny it is! The fucker had better get 8 hrs minimum!

The cheapass in me is winning over the impulse buyer when it comes to netbooks. The options are just too limited right now. We'll see what's what when the Ion chipset becomes available in netbooks.

Well last week I decided to jump in and bought a Eee PC 1000HA off of Newegg, which should get to me in the next few days. I have several classes where having a notebook will be beneficial (along with a 3 hour break between my 2 classes on Mondays and Wenesdays) and I didn't want to drag around my old Dell notebook.

bread's done
Back