Thinking of Selling My Copy of Dragon Warrior VII...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacrana

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
I've got a copy of Dragon Warrior VII that's been sitting on my shelf and I'm really considering selling it. After checking out some gameplay videos and reading some more reviews, it seems like there's really nothing about this game that isn't done much better elsewhere... it really seems like the series didn't become fun until DQVIII hit. So would that be correct? Would I be missing out on anything by skipping this game?

Short answer: Yes. Long answer: Yes, it's a fun game with an old-school feel that was missing from many rpgs from the PSX era. It takes a bit to get off the ground but I enjoyed the characters, story, and even the visuals. A lot of people thought the visuals were ugly at the time but they've aged better than many of the old PSX games. It's a long challenging game with alot of leveling up involved and an old school feel, so if that sounds like your thing then keep it.

If you play it for three hours, you'll miss something: fighting. There aren't any actual battles until that far into the game. I never thought I'd be so happy to see a basic, Phantasy Star-style battle with Slimes in my life!

Yeah, it's worth quite a bit for a sealed copy. My copy's still sealed, hence why I'm reluctant to try it. It just seems really... mediocre based on what I've been seeing. Or at least, it seems like there's a ton of other games that do the whole "ZOMG A GIANT WORLD" thing much, much better.

I mean, I want a fantastic RPG, not just a good one.

Didn't get good til 8? Dragon Warrior/Quest IV is probably my favorite RPG ever, hands down, including the greatness that is Chrono Trigger and FF6. The 1st 3 were solid, too, although the GBC remakes are preferred.

Seriously, get DW3 on GBC and tell me it isn't amazing :) I haven't played 7 yet, but I got a copy off Ebay for about $30 (in flawless condition, no less) and I'll probably start it up this summer. You might be better off selling the sealed one for uber cash, and buying a used copy for a fraction of it.

I thought Dragon Warrior 1-3 were pretty good, so I would say the series has been good (with all the acclaim it has). I guess I would say don't bother with DQ7, I started it and stopped before picking it up like a year later. It is a good game, but shitty older 3D psx graphics kill me nowadays (and it is like a 70+ hour game). I recently beat DQ8 and that game rocked, the nice graphics help so much.

Ive always wanted to play it as well, just never got around to it. Now theres no way in hell Im gonna open up my copy. Maybe I should sell it and buy an opened one to play?

[quote name='Tsukento']How I'd love to get a copy of DQVII without paying out the ass for it. :([/quote]
For awhile it was only $12.99 at Gamestop, I got a mint copy there for that price.

However I'd say the game is worth the money even if you have to pay like $30 for it.

[quote name='Rozz']For awhile it was only $12.99 at Gamestop, I got a mint copy there for that price.

However I'd say the game is worth the money even if you have to pay like $30 for it.[/quote]
I'm damn sure it's cheaper now what with the 75% off and additional 10% with the card. Unfortunately, it's no where in stock in any of the GameStops around me. :(

Tsukento, according to the store locator this store has it:

South Kendall Square
12538 SW 120th St
Miami, FL 33186

I don't think it's worth taking a drive down to Kendall though.

No, definately not worth driving all the way to Kendall.

Not unless if there's more crap I'm after. :p Even though I haven't been around that area in years.

[quote name='johnnypark']Didn't get good til 8? Dragon Warrior/Quest IV is probably my favorite RPG ever, hands down, including the greatness that is Chrono Trigger and FF6. The 1st 3 were solid, too, although the GBC remakes are preferred.

Seriously, get DW3 on GBC and tell me it isn't amazing :) I haven't played 7 yet, but I got a copy off Ebay for about $30 (in flawless condition, no less) and I'll probably start it up this summer. You might be better off selling the sealed one for uber cash, and buying a used copy for a fraction of it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Dragon Warrior III is awesome.

[quote name='Moxio']Agreed, Dragon Warrior III is awesome.[/quote]

Agreed - Dragon Warrior III AND IV are awesome!

I played DWIV using an emulator with a controller in my right hand while I played Suikoden psx with my left hand - but I beat suikoden WAY before I beat DWIV.

ROCKING GAMES - I'm stoked for DWIX.

I played about 15 hours of DQ VII and got bored, and this was when it was first released. I'm sure if you play it now you'll also get bored quickly. I don't remember anything amazing about the game. So unless you're a hardcore DQ fan I'd say sell it or just keep it sealed.

Yeah, I'm definitely not a hardcore DQ or RPG fan. I mean, I loved DQVIII and I love a good RPG (and I have a lot of them), but I have no interest in playing through something that's not that special.

If you're worried about it, then sell your sealed copy and then use the money towards a used copy to try it out. If you still don't like it, then just sell that one too.:)

I didn't think too much of it either but there's something about that game... it's such a throwback.

The moment I start to see colorful objects doing that gameboy color nonsense and prerendered enemies I wanted to shut it off but the over all game is great but not the best.

If this game was on the Gameboy color and animated as it was I would have like it more.

I am a "HC" fan but I am not going to go nuts over everty single thing that is DQ or DB.

I bought it for $7.50 probably 5 years ago on clearance at target. I played for a half hour, fell asleep, and probably sold it to gamecrazy for $5. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back