Third-party Zapper alternatives -- worthwhile?

j_factor

CAGiversary!
I have heard of and seen online (though never actually seen in person) several third-party devices similar to the Zapper. They tend to appear significantly different from the Zapper in terms of shape. This one looks neat.

Are any of these worth bothering with?

well, do they come with links crossbow training? the real nintendo one is only 5 cents extra and comes with a game, but damn, that ''gameblaster'' looks sweet. if you dont want LCT, then pick it up.

[quote name='ajh2298']You got to watch on some of those it looks like the triggers are in bad places.[/quote]

That's true. The one the OP posted looks to have the B button really far away, whereas the Zapper has it far away but includes a grip near it to keep it comfotable. I think for $20 I'll just go for the official one.

I've been waiting for some great on-rails shooters for years. And now the Wii is going to be delivering, and there isn't a decent gun anywhere. I want the one here; but not the zapper-- the one that looks like a (suprise) gun. But it's tough to choose until you know the control schemes of the games, and Wii zapper will be supported the most.

[quote name='sasukekun']http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/nintendo...s-namco-style-light-gun-to-the-wii-326728.php

Wonder how this one will be when it comes out at the end of the year. Sad it has no spot for the nunchuck[/QUOTE]

Looks pretty good. Hopefully the nunchuck can still be plugged in. I think I'd prefer to have the gun in one hand and nunchuck in the other.

Would work for something like an FPS--as long as they made it so you didn't need to access the A or +/- buttons on the Wiimote.

I like the way the zapper is designed, they wanted to let you be able to access the buttons on the remote more easily. It looks a little odd but feels great to play. I have to question IGN's assertion that it is just 'simulating' a lightgun.

[quote name='Metal Boss']I have to question IGN's assertion that it is just 'simulating' a lightgun.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing to question. A real light gun sensed light emissions from a CRT tv, and thus had true 1:1 aiming.

With the wiimote, all it does is sense emissions from the sensor bar, so you're just moving the cursor around on the screen--it isn't true 1:1.

Same with the new guncon for the PS3. It's just the way it is in this day and age, since SD CRT TV's are a dying breed and traditional light guns won't work on other types of TVs.

Thus the best that can be done is to simulate light guns buy using external LEDs (like the wii sensor bar) and a light gun/wiimote to pick up that signal and aim a cursor on the screen.

bread's done
Back