This holiday season, buy from your local mom-n-pop shops instead of Walmart et al

iGen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Many national retail chains like Walmart, http://bounce.fatwallet.com/redirect/bounce.php?afsrc=1&mid=16441361&url=http://www.walmart.com/Best Buy, etc. are opening tonight as early as 9pm, forcing their retail employees (not the C-level executives) to cut short their Thanksgiving dinners and work overtime shifts -- or risk getting laid off in a horrible job market. The holiday shopping season just keeps getting pushed up earlier and earlier and earlier, in the endless push for more and more corporate profits.

According to statistics, 68% of every dollar spent at a local store is reinvested in the community -- twice as much as national chains and Fortune 500 mega-retailers. By shopping locally, you'll actually be helping the economy and creating local jobs rather than lining the pocketbooks of the $90 billion Walton family.

See www.shoplocalsf.org for more information.
[/FONT]

As much as I'd like to see less people go to Walmart and go to small businesses, it isn't going to happen. Since a Walmart Super Center near me opened in 2008, 1 supermarket (that was cheaper than Walmart for some items) as well as a few small stores all have gone out of business despite those stores also being cheaper on some items. Once people are at those big chain stores, they don't feel like making another stop just to save $0.50 or $1.00 so will pay more for the same item.

Honestly, if people want to complain about working holidays at their retail jobs, let them quit. There are plenty of unemployed people who will gladly take those jobs to provide for their famiilies.

Saw something similar on FB. Instead of ridiculing you or coming up with something smartass, Im gonna say that I agree and plan on handing out gift certs this year for massages, car detailing, and local independent restaurants (a growing industry in Cleveland).

Sorry, you sign up for these jobs.. this is part of the deal. I didn't like it, so I got myself out of retail.
But stores really don't need to be opening up at midnight. It's just silly.

Keeping your money local is indeed good, the problem is inventory and availability of speciality stores. Hey, we like games on this site and mom & pop game stores are few and far between. Not only that, they don't get the cost protection of your mega chains so they can't offer the deep discounts.

As far as working retail during the holidays, I worked in healthcare for years and nobody complains about the greedy hospitals when they're saving your uncle from the heart attack he had when little Lucy shows up with her interracial lesbian lover... All a matter of degrees right?

Big boys are going to get stronger and stronger as the economy worsens. I do frequent several local small businesses though. I LOVE my local Kentucky Shop they are pricey versus online but you hold stuff and impulse buy in Big Blue Heaven!

[quote name='$hady']Big boys are going to get stronger and stronger as the economy worsens.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. People are going to go where the deals are which is something small local stores sadly will have a very hard time competing with. Yes there will be a few who will stick with the "buy local" mantra but that alone won't be enough to help keep them afloat.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Honestly, if people want to complain about working holidays at their retail jobs, let them quit. There are plenty of unemployed people who will gladly take those jobs to provide for their famiilies.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I have never understood why people feel entitled to a holiday off. I was working until 11pm yesterday when I went shopping,worked the day before until 11, and I am currently working right now. When I worked Customer Service I understood holidays were part of the deal and I worked them. If you hate your retail job and working holidays find a new line of work.

I think having a job is more important then having T-Day dinner, something you can do any day of the week. Granted it may not sound like the nicest thing, but there are a ton of people out there that would give up Thanksgiving and X-Mas just to have a job at all.

Wow, replies around here are truly sickening. Agree 100% with the OP. Its about keeping things in perspective. While I would put the heavier emphasis on spending local to support your own local economy. While I won't find 100% of the gifts I'm looking for locally, I'll do as much shopping as I can with places that support fair trade, donate proceeds to movements I support. Maybe if more people actually gave a shit, our economy wouldn't be going down the shitter.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Honestly, if people want to complain about working holidays at their retail jobs, let them quit. There are plenty of unemployed people who will gladly take those jobs to provide for their famiilies.[/QUOTE]

I prefer superstar's answer. At least he's a blithering idiot instead of a heartless bastard.

You're a real asshole.

[quote name='cognitive77']Wow, replies around here are truly sickening. Agree 100% with the OP. Its about keeping things in perspective. While I would put the heavier emphasis on spending local to support your own local economy. While I won't find 100% of the gifts I'm looking for locally, I'll do as much shopping as I can with places that support fair trade, donate proceeds to movements I support. Maybe if more people actually gave a shit, our economy wouldn't be going down the shitter.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that the vast majority of people aren't going to give a shit when Wal-Mart has whatever it is they want for cheaper. They aren't going to sit there and go "oh but Wal-Mart is doing these shady things so let's go to Big Joe's Shack instead." Yes there will be people out there who will boycott establishments based upon their dirty under the table tactics but the problem is the vast majority will continue to be blind (or at least ignorant) to this. No offense to say all this but its the truth about the world we live in which evolves around the mighty dollar and ethics are put in the backseat. As Danny DeVito once put it... "money talks and bullshit walks."

Wow some people will complain about anything. Boo hoo my job is giving me TOO many hours. I hate having a bigger paycheck. Most of the people working these extra hours at a Walmart really do not mind. There is a small percent of people who just want to complain about the evil corporations that are causing a stink over that. If you dont like it then go try to get a job at one of those mom and pop shops. Oh they wont hire you? These big stores like Walmart are giving more jobs to people who otherwise wouldnt have them. Yet people complain. Most of the jobs that are forcing people to work so many hours are seasonal anyways. Meaning the whole reason they got the job in the first place was to work these hours.

The real kicker about this is most of the people complaining arent even the ones who work at Walmart being forced to work and earn money for their families. Its just the normal people who want to complain about everything and anything.

[quote name='Demolition Man']The problem is that the vast majority of people aren't going to give a shit when Wal-Mart has whatever it is they want for cheaper. They aren't going to sit there and go "oh but Wal-Mart is doing these shady things so let's go to Big Joe's Shack instead." Yes there will be people out there who will boycott establishments based upon their dirty under the table tactics but the problem is the vast majority will continue to be blind (or at least ignorant) to this. No offense to say all this but its the truth about the world we live in which evolves around the mighty dollar and ethics are put in the backseat. As Danny DeVito once put it... "money talks and bullshit walks."[/QUOTE]

Maybe but it's a good idea and it's baffling why people would take glee in the fact that non-essential personnel (IE people who aren't firemen, cops, nurses, etc) are forced to work on Thanksgiving and be away from their families.

Americans have always respected the value of a dollar, but there was a time in this country when this shit wouldn't fly. Dopes like superstar and aholes like pitfall are what's wrong with this country.

No sympathy here. It's like complaining that the military sends off its soldiers to war. Don't sign up for the job if you're not willing to do what it takes. Some people have to work holidays, regardless of whether or not a big corp employs them. Instead of bitching, respect the people that keep the world running while you're on holiday. If you're one of the workers and don't like it, suck it up or find yourself another job.

Americans have always respected the value of a dollar, but there was a time in this country when this shit wouldn't fly.

There's nothing immoral or un-American about retail stores opening up on holidays. The further this country moves away from anything resembling blue laws, the better off we'll be.

There are still plenty of retail jobs that don't have you working crazy hours. I worked 9-6 on Black Friday this year. The only time I worked crazy hours on Black Friday in retail actually was like five years ago and it was because it was a split shift. The argument against working holidays or days like Black Friday is because working retail is dreadful and workers look forward to a guaranteed day off. However, as has been stated, joblessness is high and some people need a second (or even first) job to get by for the holidays.

[quote name='camoor']I prefer superstar's answer. At least he's a blithering idiot instead of a heartless bastard.

You're a real asshole.[/QUOTE]

Yep! Besides the obvious joke that flew over your head, I really did do well at walmart. I must be an idiot for saving money!!

[quote name='davo1224']There's nothing immoral or un-American about retail stores opening up on holidays. The further this country moves away from anything resembling blue laws, the better off we'll be.

There are still plenty of retail jobs that don't have you working crazy hours. I worked 9-6 on Black Friday this year. The only time I worked crazy hours on Black Friday in retail actually was like five years ago and it was because it was a split shift. The argument against working holidays or days like Black Friday is because working retail is dreadful and workers look forward to a guaranteed day off. However, as has been stated, joblessness is high and some people need a second (or even first) job to get by for the holidays.[/QUOTE]

I suppose.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Christmas Carol but I thought Dickens had a point about Scrooge being an asshole for making his employees work the holiday.

It's a terrible economy and working folks are beyond desperate to make a buck, but sue me for thinking that we could give non-essential personnel a break for one day out of the year.

I know that being obnoxious heartless and greedy consumers is part of the modern American persona (it's why the rest of the world loves us), it would just be nice if we could occasionally rise above it for old times sake.

I fucking hate small businesses.

If I want to use a restroom, I have to buy something at the no-name restaurant. Some of these small business owners are really militant. I can usually slip into the restroom of a McDonald's even if I have to ask for a token. The cashiers don't care. As someone who takes public transportation, it is very important that I can find places to piss. Wal-Mart gets it done if one is nearby.

When I want to use my credit card at a small shop, they want a minimum purchase or to see ID, which are both forbidden by the credit card agreement that they signed in order to enjoy the privilege of taking credit cards. No minimum purchases at Target. They don't ask to see my ID or even make me sign for small purchases.

Not going to patronize businesses just because of some vague ideals. It's not like the cashier jockeys at a small business earn a living wage and are so much better off than the cashier jockeys at Target.
[quote name='camoor']
It's a terrible economy and working folks are beyond desperate to make a buck, but sue me for thinking that we could give non-essential personnel a break for one day out of the year.
[/QUOTE]
The holidays are when these employees work, though. The jobs aren't going to be there in the middle of January.

These are temporary holiday jobs. For many of these people, if they don't want to work during the holidays then they don't work.

I never see these mom and pops that people talk about...especially for the things I would buy around the holidays. Looking around at local businesses I really have no use for Irish themed motorcycle gear or shirts featuring the names of towns that I live in/near.

OK, the area I live in is VERY small business friendly. But you know what? A lot of it is specialty stuff... so there's a lot of things that just don't cater to me or my wants/needs.

A few years ago, our older apartment had this nook like thing attached from the kitchen/dinning room. AKA a bar.. lol So we wanted to get barstools for it. Just 2. We probably wouldn't even use them THAT much, but we wanted to get them just to fill the spot. Well guess what we found? We actually found a bar stool store! How awesome is that?.. Psh, yeah right. The CHEAPEST we saw were like $80 each and they were ugly and horribly uncomfortable. The nicer ones? They ran about $140 each.

We went to Target, bought something similar looking to these $140 stools....at $30 each. We've had them ever since. The quality is decent. The style is decent. The price was magnificent.

I'm very well aware that retailers get special cheap deals from manufacturers... but I am a consumer. I have an income. I need to live within my income and within my means. So, no.. I can't afford to spend "a few extra bucks" just to keep it local. If they --for the most part -- would offer competitive prices, then this wouldn't be a problem.

In fact, why are we here at CheapAssGamer? We all came here to look for good video game deals. If a new 360 game is coming out... Amazon is offering it for $50 + $10 credit and your local video store is gonna sell it for $59.99 + tax... you are a fool to basically spend that extra $20 when you don't have to. But, to each their own when it comes to their money.

[quote name='Necrozilla']Just be lucky we have holidays (days off) to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Corporations are doing their best to kill them off. It's interesting - Dickens A Christmas Carol was a stake in the ground for saving the holidays, reading the posts here I get the sense that this thread's participants welcome the corporate powerplay to systematically turn every single holiday back into a workday.

[quote name='Spokker']The holidays are when these employees work, though. The jobs aren't going to be there in the middle of January.

These are temporary holiday jobs. For many of these people, if they don't want to work during the holidays then they don't work.[/QUOTE]

Sure I get that. I have no problem if stores are giving these folks time-and-a-half for working the holiday, I just have an issue if it's a "condition of employment".

[quote name='camoor']
Sure I get that. I have no problem if stores are giving these folks time-and-a-half for working the holiday, I just have an issue if it's a "condition of employment".[/QUOTE]
It's often a condition of employment and it is disclosed before you are even offered a job.

[quote name='Spokker']It's often a condition of employment and it is disclosed before you are even offered a job.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that most of the times you will not get called back if you don't check the "available nights and weekends" on your application.

I get what the OP is saying but it makes it tough to do so when those mom an pop stores dont carry what youre looking to get people. Not even talking about tvs or games and movies etc...just stuff in general.

[quote name='Will']I get what the OP is saying but it makes it tough to do so when those mom an pop stores dont carry what youre looking to get people. Not even talking about tvs or games and movies etc...just stuff in general.[/QUOTE]

Totally. It's a nice idea but in all practicality it will never work.

Basically we have two options, fix this with policy or give up all holidays. It really is that simple.

bread's done
Back