This is getting ridiculous (USPS delivery time) and a postage question

I read somewhere that the Media Mail gets processed last and when they have time to do it. If you PO is a high volume , your Media Mail may sit at you PO unprocessed until they get to it. I read about this during X-mas so I'm sure it is true.

That is true. Actually that is potentially true of all 3rd class mail which includes parcel post. First class is supposed to be processed every day though.

[quote name='spamfree2']I read somewhere that the Media Mail gets processed last and when they have time to do it. If you PO is a high volume , your Media Mail may sit at you PO unprocessed until they get to it. I read about this during X-mas so I'm sure it is true.[/QUOTE]

Wow soon as I stopped paying attention to this it got a ton of posts. Anyways, its an outrage how horrible the PO is. If it is running at a deficit its all the more reason someone finally steps in and looks at how innefficiant things are.

My new controller was shipped out on May 4th, via priority mail from CA, and it arrived today. I'm in NJ mind you, so that is pretty good time if you ask me.

Well the post office runs a deficit...sometimes. Right now we are making a huge profit. We cleared a debt measured in billions in only a few years. Eventually we'll start wasting it and go back into debt again. It's a cycle in the post office.

The main problem with inefficiency is the unions and outdated equipment. The biggest cost for the post office is labor. It's over 80% of their total costs I believe. When I was basically a typist for the post office I was making 11.60 an hour....far more than I would have in the private sector. Now as a clerk I'm making over $20 an hour after doing the job less than 5 years. Clerk is another job that isn't really all that hard. If at the window I'm effectively a cashier. In the back I just sort mail.

Equipmentwise we are literally in some cases using 50+ year old equipment. When I started at my current office we had a letter stamping machine that was older than anyone who worked there. They finally got rid of it after it broke for about the 50th time. The technology is out there to run mail far more quickly and accurately than we do now but the post office either will not or can not upgrade.

There is a bill in congress now to restructure the post office but we have something like 800,000 employees and as a result powerful union lobbyists so I don't expect it will ever pass, or if it does all of the teeth will be removed.

But all that said the post office isn't as bad as everyone thinks. You hear all the bad stories, but for every letter we screw up and send to Madagascar for a little vacation thousands make it there intact. Often it is the customer's mistake too though we of course always get the blame.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Wow soon as I stopped paying attention to this it got a ton of posts. Anyways, its an outrage how horrible the PO is. If it is running at a deficit its all the more reason someone finally steps in and looks at how innefficiant things are.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crowbb']The main problem with inefficiency is the unions and outdated equipment. The biggest cost for the post office is labor. It's over 80% of their total costs I believe. When I was basically a typist for the post office I was making 11.60 an hour....far more than I would have in the private sector. Now as a clerk I'm making over $20 an hour after doing the job less than 5 years. Clerk is another job that isn't really all that hard. If at the window I'm effectively a cashier. In the back I just sort mail.

There is a bill in congress now to restructure the post office but we have something like 800,000 employees and as a result powerful union lobbyists so I don't expect it will ever pass, or if it does all of the teeth will be removed.

But all that said the post office isn't as bad as everyone thinks. You hear all the bad stories, but for every letter we screw up and send to Madagascar for a little vacation thousands make it there intact. Often it is the customer's mistake too though we of course always get the blame.[/QUOTE]

If it wasn't for that union you'd probably be making half that or less, with fewer benefits. Also, the postal service probably would have been privatized and it would cost twice as much for us to send letters and they would get there in twice the time. :rofl:

I figured the recent troulbes with mail delivery were a ploy to lay the groundwork for privitizatrion. Certain people running the government (who hate government) make it so incompetent that the service starts to suck and when they float a plan to privatize it everyong thinks it's a good idea. See FEMA for a prime example.

I SHOULD make half or less. I am horribly overpaid for the skill required to do my job. Besides if I did make less I would get off my butt and try to get a better job with my 2 degrees. :) But since I make decent money I haven't exactly been rushing to look. If the post office were privatized it would be a hell of a lot cheaper and be more efficient. It's hard to be efficient with a system that runs on union created rules and 50 year old equipment. If they upgraded to decent OCR machines the post office could cut a big percentage of their labor. We are forced to do all sorts of crazy things because of bad contract rules. Like give free money to full-timers who aren't given the same amount of overtime as others.

The only reason the union hasn't killed the post office as unions killed the steel industry and are killing the big car makers (which by the way in the past the government has used the USPS to bail out not once but twice by forcing us to buy specific trucks) is the post office has exclusive rights to deliver first class mail.

[quote name='io']If it wasn't for that union you'd probably be making half that or less, with fewer benefits. Also, the postal service probably would have been privatized and it would cost twice as much for us to send letters and they would get there in twice the time. :rofl:

I figured the recent troulbes with mail delivery were a ploy to lay the groundwork for privitizatrion. Certain people running the government (who hate government) make it so incompetent that the service starts to suck and when they float a plan to privatize it everyong thinks it's a good idea. See FEMA for a prime example.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crowbb']I SHOULD make half or less. I am horribly overpaid for the skill required to do my job. [/QUOTE]

If you insist :rofl:.

I try not to say that about my own job (which, by the way, is for a government contractor in an industry that sucks down money from the govt to do jobs at twice the price in twice the time the govt could do it for itself :D).

So I went today and complained in person. The guy told me that he personally knows my carrier and that she is reliable and a good person. He then asked if my neighbors are trust worthy and implied that I am probally stealing the packages.

[quote name='MSI Magus']So I went today and complained in person. The guy told me that he personally knows my carrier and that she is reliable and a good person. He then asked if my neighbors are trust worthy and implied that I am probally stealing the packages.[/quote]

You should've hypnotized him with your mohawk and FFX tattoo.

Hey, I'm just being honest. When at the window I'm nothing more than a cashier. When in the back I'm little different than someone who stocks shelves, only the stuff I'm putting on shelves is much smaller (letter and flats). It's not rocket science. Of course if they told me they suddenly wanted to pay me more I wouldn't say no.

[quote name='io']If you insist :rofl:.

I try not to say that about my own job (which, by the way, is for a government contractor in an industry that sucks down money from the govt to do jobs at twice the price in twice the time the govt could do it for itself :D).[/QUOTE]

That's not right. Was this a window clerk or a supervisor? If it was a window clerk I'd complain again after asking for a supervisor. If it was a supervisor I'd write a letter to the postmaster. If it was the postmaster well you're probably screwed unless you know who the PM's boss in your area is.

[quote name='MSI Magus']So I went today and complained in person. The guy told me that he personally knows my carrier and that she is reliable and a good person. He then asked if my neighbors are trust worthy and implied that I am probally stealing the packages.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crowbb']That's not right. Was this a window clerk or a supervisor? If it was a window clerk I'd complain again after asking for a supervisor. If it was a supervisor I'd write a letter to the postmaster. If it was the postmaster well you're probably screwed unless you know who the PM's boss in your area is.[/QUOTE]

It was the supervisor. All the people that work up front at both of my post offices are extreamly nice. Really sucks, all the clerks are nice and the old post woman was nice....but now I am stuck with a crappy new deliveray woman and a superviser who likes her so he wont do his damned job.

bread's done
Back