This is your Brain on Games...

A leading council of the nation's largest doctors' group wants to have this behavior officially classified as a psychiatric disorder, to raise awareness and enable sufferers to get insurance coverage for treatment.

I think psychological addiction to ANYTHING that harms one's well-being should be considered a disorder.

Anyone who will obsessively play World of Warcraft like that should be getting medical help.

This is actually more of a joke than calling obesity a disorder. Obesity takes one person fucking up. Letting games fuck up your life requires not only your own personal negligence, but as a teen, the additional lack of parental intevention/guidance.

When I was in HS, I'd come home and start playing a game to unwind before tackling homework. My mom would come in and ask if I had any homework. I'd say yes and she'd bust my balls about doing it as soon as I got home so I didn't wind up trying to get it done at midnight.

I'd say the real "disease" is people being too busy to actually raise their kids.

Television content is carefully censored to remove meaningful/thought provoking content. It's also 40% paid advertising.

Videogames typically focus on stimulating your brain to do something more than drool during commercial breaks, ergo bad. Mental stimulation is the last thing policy makers want.

[quote name='furyk']Figures that gaming gets a disorder, but watching twelve hours a day of tv is a okay.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']This is actually more of a joke than calling obesity a disorder. Obesity takes one person fucking up. Letting games fuck up your life requires not only your own personal negligence, but as a teen, the additional lack of parental intevention/guidance.

When I was in HS, I'd come home and start playing a game to unwind before tackling homework. My mom would come in and ask if I had any homework. I'd say yes and she'd bust my balls about doing it as soon as I got home so I didn't wind up trying to get it done at midnight.

I'd say the real "disease" is people being too busy to actually raise their kids.[/QUOTE]

Parents play no part in fat children?

[quote name='furyk']Figures that gaming gets a disorder, but watching twelve hours a day of tv is a okay.[/QUOTE]

qft.

Gaming is such a huge problem. Man lets forget about the poor, homeless, people without healthcare, all the illegal immigrants, how the world hates us, and pollution. Let focus on entertainment and call it bad!!!

I meant more for older people... But the last line still catches that.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Parents play no part in fat children?[/quote]

A man much wiser than I spoke on the topic already...

Particularly frightening here is that doctor’s exhortations are often then used to justify nanny-state legislation — in this case, the duration that all children, even those who show no signs of “addiction,” be kept constrained in their use of television, video games, and the internet.

– presumably, though, a Henry James or NPR “addiction” wouldn’t concern the AMA quite so much. Because, you see, one man’s “addiction” is another man’s “passion”.

I always play video games when I come home...even now in University. I've always been able to manage my time and even if I'm kind of addicted to a game I can easily pull myself away, do my homework, and do it well at that. I think it all depends on the person...and partially the parenting as well.

For the record, my parents have NEVER asked me if I had homework in my life that I can remember. I've always just done it myself...

[quote name='dallow']Why are you guys getting worked up about this?

Too much of anything is bad.

Thread is over.[/quote]
No, no, NO! Boobies! Boobies= good. Too many boobies= no such thing.

Thread is over.[/quote]

How about "too much of irresponsible behavior being labeled as a disorder?" I'd say you hit the nail on the head... :]

Oh and there can be too much boobies, although it generally ends up being a case of "wrong place" and "wrong time."

Thread is over.[/QUOTE]

Because I have to listen to my dad talk for half an hour about how I'm playing too much video games because he sees a news report even though I play about two hours of DS at most while he sits and watches ten + hours of tv every day. That's why a report like this pisses me off.

[quote name='furyk']Because I have to listen to my dad talk for half an hour about how I'm playing too much video games because he sees a news report even though I play about two hours of DS at most while he sits and watches ten + hours of tv every day. That's why a report like this pisses me off.[/QUOTE]
If you're still living with your dad, what the hell are you doing sitting around watching him watch TV? Just because is wasting away his life doesn't mean you should be. It's frickin' summer! Go out and enjoy your youth!

Two hours everyday is a lot of time.

Srry to sound like your dad xD

You know, my grades actually went up after I started playing videogames, it's a lot easier to pay attention in class and sit down for homework once you've given up 1/4 of your life to Nintendo and Sony.

[quote name='zionoverfire']You know, my grades actually went up after I started playing videogames, it's a lot easier to pay attention in class and sit down for homework once you've given up 1/4 of your life to Nintendo and Sony.[/QUOTE]
Exact same thing happened with me.

http://gameinvasion.comcast.net/gameinvasion/news/newsarticle/

Doctors: Videogames Not Addictive

By: Daemon Hatfield

June 25, 2007

During a weekend debate at the annual meeting of the American Medical Association, doctors and addiction experts rejected the idea that videogame addiction is a serious risk akin to alcoholism or compulsive gambling. If there is such a thing as videogame addiction, experts don't believe it can be classified as a "mental disorder," as these other types of addictions are designated.

"There is nothing here to suggest that this is a complex physiological disease state akin to alcoholism or other substance abuse disorders, and it doesn't get to have the word addiction attached to it," said Dr. Stuart Gitlow of the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM), according to Reuters.

The debate was organized by a committee at the ASAM which wanted to have videogame addiction listed as a mental disorder in the American Diagnostic and Statistic Manual of Mental Disorders. The guide is used by the American Psychiatric Association to diagnose mental illness. But more study is needed, experts said, before videogame addiction can be taken as seriously as other addictions and mental illnesses.

Doctors admitted that while normal videogame use is harmless, in extreme cases it can interfere with day-to-day activities such as showering, working, or eating.

The American Medical Association will consider the testimony and vote on the matter later this week.

©2007, IGN Entertainment, Inc. All Rights Reserved

[quote name='PyroGamer']If you're still living with your dad, what the hell are you doing sitting around watching him watch TV? Just because is wasting away his life doesn't mean you should be. It's frickin' summer! Go out and enjoy your youth!

Two hours everyday is a lot of time.

Srry to sound like your dad xD[/QUOTE]

Try living in Florida. I'm at home from college for the summer and it is hot as fuck outside.

bread's done
Back