this "new & improved" xbox360

They're supposed to ship around Q1 07. You will have no idea if yours is one of them or not, but I'm positive they'd be the onling thing on shelves a major retailers around next December.

Exactly. And the new proccesor won't even make much of a difference. If you're really cautious then buy it with a warranty ( at a retail store) and/ or an Antec Laptop Cooler.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']360 has a 1 year warranty now so you will be good, the new die size isnt going to do all too much but let the system run cooler.[/QUOTE]

And make it less noisy.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']And make it less noisy.[/QUOTE]

The noise of the DVD drive drowns out any noise the CPU would be making, unless you just like to sit in the dashboard all day.

The new chips are scheduled to start mass production late in the first quarter of 2007. So Xbox 360s based on the new chips wouldn't start entering the retail channel until some time in the second quarter.

In other words, don't expect to be able to get such a machine until June 2007 or later.

The first production will likely be used on the existing board with a reduced cost power supply. A lot depends on when the GPU can get the same die shrink treatment. The two combined would reduce heat and cooling needs a lot. At that point it would make sense to do a major hardware redesign, perhaps reducing the size a bit. This would also be an opportune time to address the DVD drive noise issue.

[quote name='epobirs']The new chips are scheduled to start mass production late in the first quarter of 2007. So Xbox 360s based on the new chips wouldn't start entering the retail channel until some time in the second quarter.

In other words, don't expect to be able to get such a machine until June 2007 or later.

The first production will likely be used on the existing board with a reduced cost power supply. A lot depends on when the GPU can get the same die shrink treatment. The two combined would reduce heat and cooling needs a lot. At that point it would make sense to do a major hardware redesign, perhaps reducing the size a bit. This would also be an opportune time to address the DVD drive noise issue.[/QUOTE]

And even then, there will never be any easy way to tell if you are buying one of the "new models" to prevent people doing precisely what the OP created this thread to do.

OP, you need to realize the #1 reason Microsoft will redesign the processor is to cut cost. Everything else is secondary. So unless you are really really interested in helping Microsoft make more money by waiting until they can produce a cheaper 360, just buy one now.

I'd imagine with the processor running cooler that should cut down on systems over-heating. I know my friend's systems get pretty hot when they are on for a few hours.

This might be enough to push my decision to get a 360 back a couple months now. I'll just play it by ear and see though.

Yeah i'll probably wait for the new chips. Not too many must have games for someone with a modest intrest in shooters and a 25+ RPG backlog on PS2.

[quote name='thrustbucket']And even then, there will never be any easy way to tell if you are buying one of the "new models" to prevent people doing precisely what the OP created this thread to do.

OP, you need to realize the #1 reason Microsoft will redesign the processor is to cut cost. Everything else is secondary. So unless you are really really interested in helping Microsoft make more money by waiting until they can produce a cheaper 360, just buy one now.[/QUOTE]

No, it'll just be a matter of knowing where the serial numbers change over. It's preferable for the manufacturer to have this means of tracking explicitly on the units. Such information tends to get out into the public. At best, all Microsoft can hope to do is clear the old model out of retail inventory before starting shipments of the new.

If Xbox 360s become hard to find during mid-2007, that'll be a strong indicator the new model is imminent.

What they need to do is start working on the GPU. They really do. I think that it's the main cause of the problems.

I don't care if they make the CPU smaller or not if they do a price drop :).

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Why not just wait until next Xmas when the new chip will be in and there might be a price drop or better bundle?[/QUOTE]

Here's why:

Key:
Also on other consoles - italics
Xbox Live Arcade - *

Japanese RPG / SRPGs
Blue Dragon
Cry On
Cavia RPG
Culdcept Saga
Diario: Reverse Moon Legend
Enchant Arms
Eternal Sonata
Far East of Eden Ziria - Tales from Distant Jipang

93508520060913screen003rq2.jpg

Infinite Undiscovery

93508520060913screen003cu1.jpg

Lost Odyssey
Magna Carta 2
Operation Darkness
Overlord
Saga of Cathay
Spectral Force 3: Innocent Rage
Spectral Diario
Super Robot Taisen XO

Western RPGs & MMO

All Points Bulletin
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Elveon
Fable 2
Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht 'Urhgan
Golden Axe
Huxley
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
Marvel Universe Online

93508520060913screen003kf2.jpg

Mass Effect
Obsidian/SEGA RPG
Project Gray Company
Phantasy Star Universe

Stargate Worlds
The Lord of the Rings: The White Council
The Precursors
Two Worlds

Real Time Strategy / Strategy
Battlestations: Midway
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

HW_800x600_3.jpg

Halo Wars
Settlers of Katan*
Star Trek: Legacy
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth II

Third Person Shooter / Stealth Action

932860_20060823_screen001.jpg

Army of Two
Bullet Witch
Cipher Complex
Crackdown
Dark Sector
Data Fly
Dog Tag

GeOW.jpg

Gears of War
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter II
Hitman Blood Money

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Rogue Warrior
Sneak King
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Splinter Cell V
Stranglehold
The Club
The Darkness

Action / Adventure

Assassin's Creed
Captain Blood
Castle Crashers*
Demons of Mercy
Dirty Harry
DOA Code Cronus
Eragon
E-D-F-X
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Gauntlet*
Grand Theft Auto IV
Heat

Infernal
Just Cause
KnightBlade: Line Of Defense
Disney's Meet The Robinsons
Monster Madness: Battle For Suburbia
N3: Ninety-Nine Nights
Naruto
Ninja Gaiden 2

1158851011.jpg

Overlord
Pirates of the Caribbean 3
Project Progressive
Saint's Row
Samurai Warriors 2
Schwarzenberg

Secret Clan
Shrek the Third
Star Wars 2007
Superman Returns

Tenchu 4
The Conveni X
The Outsider
The Siege of Khe Sanh
The Shadow of Aten
The Simpsons
Thesis
Vampire's Rain

too-human-20060509032835667.jpg

Too Human
Way of the Samurai

Survival / Horror

wake_screen001.jpg

Alan Wake
Alone in the Dark: Near Death Investigation
Clive Barker's Jericho

Condemned
Dead Rising
Harker
Heavy Rain
Possession
Resident Evil 5

Fighter / Wrestling

Dead or Alive 4
Def Jam 3: Icon
Fatal Fury Special*
Kengo Zero
King of Fighters: Maximum Impact
Virtua Fighter 5

1118_0003.jpg

Small Arms*
Senko No Ronde Rev. X
Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting*
TNA iMPACT
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3*
Wrestle Kingdom
WWE Smackdown VS RAW 2007

Mech Combat / shooter

930035_20060922_screen003.jpg

Armored Core 4
Chrome Hounds
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Ops: The One Year War

932514_20060921_screen003.jpg

Project Sylph
RoboBlitz*
Zegapain XOR

Racing / Car Combat

1XR
Avalon
Big Bumpin' (Burger King)
Burnout 5
Burnout Revenge
DIRT: Colin McRae Off-Road

930023_20060921_screen011.jpg

Fatal Inertia

forza23_20060509_688918048.jpg

Forza Motorsport 2
Grand Raid Off-Road
GTR
Mad Tracks*
Moto GP
Need for Speed Carbon
Pocketbike Racer (Burger King)
Project Gotham Racing 4
SEGA Rally Revo
Stuntman 2

Test Drive Unlimited
The Wheelman
Tokyo Extreme Racer

Platformers / Party

bklolit2.jpg

Banjo-Threeie
Bomberman Act Zero
Cloning Clyde*
Every Party
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Indiana Jones
Kameo Elements of Power
Ratatouille
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog High Speed*
Spiderman 3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

VooDoo Nights

First Person Shooters

Battlefield: Bad Company
Bioshock
Brothers in Arms 3 Hell's Highway
Call of Duty 3

Cell Factor: Revolution
CrossFire
Doom*
F.E.A.R. 2

15151.jpg

Halo 3
Half-Life 2: Episode Two (Episode 2, Portal, Team Fortress)
Haze
Hostile Intent - Planetfall

Interstellar Marines
Killing Day
Medal of Honor: Airborne

Parabellum
Perfect Dark Zero
Postal 3
Prey
Project Offset

932240_20061110_screen001.jpg

Rainbow Six: Vegas
Return to Castle Wolfenstein II
Section 8
Shadowrun
Timeshift
Turok
Unreal Tournament 2007

Simulations

AquaZone
A-Train X
LMA Manager 2007
Outpost Kaloki X*
The Idol Master

1161112501.jpg

Viva Pinata

Sports

Amped 3
2K Sports Football game
Brian Lara International Cricket
Cabela's Alaskan Adventures
Championship Manager
College Hoops 2K

93508520060913screen003bp7.jpg

DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball 2
FIFA
FIFA World Cup

Fight Night Round 3

930962_20060323_screen004.jpg

HoopWorld*
Madden NFL
Major League Baseball
NBA Live
NBA 2K
NBA Street Homecourt
NCAA Football
NHL
NHL 2K
Pro Evo Soccer

R* presents Table Tennis
Skate
Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Top Spin
Virtura Tennis
World Championship Poker
World Snooker Championship

Music / Rythm
Dance Dance Revolution Universe
Guitar Hero II

Special Projects / Other
Fantasy Lab project
Konami Untitled Project
Peter Jackson Halo project
Untitled Treasure Project

source

Was there any need to post that entire thing in here? Also most of those games won't be out till late 2007 or early 2008 and hardly any information is known about the majority of them.

I mean just look at how hyped fable was and how much it sucked.

Nice post Pyro.

Brian, if you don't have enough reason in games to buy a 360 right now, I'd just not plan on buying one ever.

With the games it has now, and the games coming out by March like Forza, Lost Planet, Mass Effect and Bioshock...... If you need more convincing than that, then you best just stick to.... I dunno, board games?

Yeah there are some great games coming out in March which is why I was looking into getting a 360 around then. I don't buy a system because of hype for games that aren't even out yet. Especially since i tend to avoid buying games new.

Once those games are out and i've had a chance to check em out i'll plan on whether I want to buy them or not.

As far as the games it has now most of them are racing games which I don't play or games like Oblivion and Condemned which I have for PC so there aren't enough games out atm for me to get it.

Oh and pyro you really need to double check that list. There are ALOT of games on their that are multiplatform and not listed as so.

[quote name='Brian9824']Yeah there are some great games coming out in March which is why I was looking into getting a 360 around then. I don't buy a system because of hype for games that aren't even out yet. Especially since i tend to avoid buying games new.

Once those games are out and i've had a chance to check em out i'll plan on whether I want to buy them or not.

As far as the games it has now most of them are racing games which I don't play or games like Oblivion and Condemned which I have for PC so there aren't enough games out atm for me to get it.[/QUOTE]

I dunno man. Dead Rising, GOW, Viva Pinata and Lost Planet all add up to reason enough to buy a 360 now imo, and none of them are racing. I'm not into racing either. Not to mention Live Arcade and Video marketplace (Both of which are typically things people don't want or care about until they have it)

The only reason I can see for a person to NOT want a 360 now is if their favorite type of game is Japanese RPG's.

Lost Planet isn't out yet. Also I do love rpg's alot more then FPS.

Right now the only games i'm intrested in are basically the ones you just said and i don't consider a $450-500 investment for 3 games that are out atm worth it. Especially when I have a huge backlog of PS2 games to finish and i'm in the middle of a Masters Program atm.

[quote name='Brian9824']Lost Planet isn't out yet. Also I do love rpg's alot more then FPS.

Right now the only games i'm intrested in are basically the ones you just said and i don't consider a $450-500 investment for 3 games that are out atm worth it. Especially when I have a huge backlog of PS2 games to finish and i'm in the middle of a Masters Program atm.[/QUOTE]

Well Lost Planet will be out in 2 weeks so I cheated.

I see what you are saying, however as busy as I am, I only ever played through 3 or 4 games over the entire life of my PS2, but it was worth the purchase to me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Just out of curiosity, what number of must-have games need to be on shelf to make you want to buy a system?

Hard to say, it depends on the quality of the game and the price of the system. For the price of the 360 i'd want at least 5-6 good games that are out. Like i said though i'm in no rush at all with the amount of backlog I have.

I should also point out it will take about double that number of games before I get a PS3 :)

[quote name='epobirs']The new chips are scheduled to start mass production late in the first quarter of 2007. So Xbox 360s based on the new chips wouldn't start entering the retail channel until some time in the second quarter.

In other words, don't expect to be able to get such a machine until June 2007 or later.[/quote]
wow, how'd you find all this out??

[quote name='thrustbucket']Nice post Pyro.

Brian, if you don't have enough reason in games to buy a 360 right now, I'd just not plan on buying one ever.

With the games it has now, and the games coming out by March like Forza, Lost Planet, Mass Effect and Bioshock...... If you need more convincing than that, then you best just stick to.... I dunno, board games?[/QUOTE]

I need more convincing that we'll see any sign Forza, Mass Effect, or Bioshock by March. Forza may make it out that early, but I doubt it and we'll be very lucky to see Bioshock before summer sets in. I love my 360, there's plenty of reasons to own it now, but I gotta say Pyro's list was somewhat...irrelevant as a great number of those won't be out til next fall at the earliest or won't come stateside at all. Which sort of goes aginast telling someone to get a console right now.

Doesn't really make too much of a difference from 90nm to 65nm.

Like others have said the main reason is costs and in the computer world there is a large shift heading toward 65nm but within another year it'll be 45nm as the new thing so Microsoft probably does not want to look like they are old technology.

[quote name='crazyj']Doesn't really make too much of a difference from 90nm to 65nm.

Like others have said the main reason is costs and in the computer world there is a large shift heading toward 65nm but within another year it'll be 45nm as the new thing so Microsoft probably does not want to look like they are old technology.[/QUOTE]

People are stupid, If 90nm to 65nm is making you wait on a 360 you must not want one in the first place. Electronics evolve at a fast pace and if you waited for the new Ipod or a game system reversion to come out before picking one up you would be waiting forever. Worst case scenario buy from walmart with the 90day return and exchange it every 89 days if you want to be a total ass. Meanwhile I'll be playing my 360,Wii,PS3 not giving a fuck about a fan I cant hear when the Tv's on anyways.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']People are stupid, If 90nm to 65nm is making you wait on a 360 you must not want one in the first place. Electronics evolve at a fast pace and if you waited for the new Ipod or a game system reversion to come out before picking one up you would be waiting forever. Worst case scenario buy from walmart with the 90day return and exchange it every 89 days if you want to be a total ass. Meanwhile I'll be playing my 360,Wii,PS3 not giving a fuck about a fan I cant hear when the Tv's on anyways.[/quote]

Except if you werent going to get a 360 for at least another 4-5 months waiting an extra 1-2 for the new chips which run more efficiently and will make the system cheaper makes perfect sense.

[quote name='Brian9824']Except if you werent going to get a 360 for at least another 4-5 months waiting an extra 1-2 for the new chips which run more efficiently and will make the system cheaper makes perfect sense.[/QUOTE]
Except there's no guarantee that the cheaper cost will be passed on to you. Everyone assumed the 360 would be cheaper this Christmas, and no such luck.

No one who knows anything of the business expected the system to be cheaper this christmas. If anything it will be cheaper AFTERWARDS with the demand for the system decreasing and more competition putting pressure on the 360. I should point out that most people said they expected the STORES to run various deals on the system and in fact we saw quite a few deals such as the $100 TRU gift card for buying a 360.

A price cut before christmas is only needed if you are facing enough pressure to threaten you. Both the Wii and PS3 had sufficiently short supplies as to not put much pressure on the 360 over the holiday's. Plus the 360 has some of its biggest titles coming out soon so they will want to make the system seem as attractive as possible and increase their install base before they launch.

Being as they lose money currently, and switching to the 65nm would allow them to make a small profit I don't see any reason to drop price while they have their 10 million lead and a large library of games. This would allow them to make profit on hardware and software, the goal they had planned to do within 10 years of Xbox(orginal's) launch. IMO the only one dropping price would be Sony's PS3.

[quote name='Nerbil']
They have already updated the DVD drives so that they are much quieter,[/QUOTE]

Wait...when did they do that? How do you know if a system has a quiet drive? HOW quiet are they? Like compared to other systems?

The noise the system makes is one of the three things I HATE about the 360 (the other being the worthless D-Pad and horrible reliability).

I'd be a LOT more interested in using the 360 as a main system if I could get one that was only as loud as like an X-Box 1 or something. It's insane that the Playstation 3 has even more transistors, yet runs almost as quiet as a slim PS2..and the 360 sounds like a blender. I know some people (heavy metal fans?) don't mind it, but it drives me nuts and takes me out of the game. All three of my 360s have been more than twice as loud as my PC, and it's probably 4x louder than my PS2.

The fan noise IMO isn't too terrible. It's a gazillion times louder than a Playstation 3, but it's still about like a PC and not too distracting...but that DVD drive is just crazy.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Being as they lose money currently, and switching to the 65nm would allow them to make a small profit I don't see any reason to drop price while they have their 10 million lead and a large library of games. This would allow them to make profit on hardware and software, the goal they had planned to do within 10 years of Xbox(orginal's) launch. IMO the only one dropping price would be Sony's PS3.[/quote]

Actually MS is making a small profit on the Premium system at the momment. They are still losing money on the Core System, which is a completely ridiculous offering for both MS and the consumer, since both lose money in the long run (MS on hardware/production and consumer on accessories). But their console division is still in the red. They have deep pockets though, so if the 360 can eventually sell like the PS2, they are in business.

As for getting a 360 now with the 90nm core...stores are offering deals like gift cards and free games, which can save you anywhere from $50-$100 in 360 related purchases when buying a new system. The current systems are reliable, MS offers a 1 year warranty, and Gears of War is out and proven to be a great game. Add the other great titles available and I see no reason to wait, unless you can't justify buying one until their MSRP hits $350. My guess is next Christmas when the PS3 and 360 really go head to head. Over the Summer is possible, sincew it is a slow time for all video game related sales, but who knows. If you are waiting for the $300 mark, you are in for a long wait.

65nm process will lower costs of production and internal temps somewhat. It will provide no performance gains. All changes will go towrd smaller, cheaper, and quieter units. Adding any deliberate or noticable performance gains would mean selling out their user base and leaving them out to dry.

bread's done
Back