This website is an eyesore

GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
www.cheapassgamer.com

First, let me say I mean no offense, especially to all the folks who frequent this site daily and provide wonderful deals on great games. Nor do I mean offense to the website designer(s), but as any professional website or graphic designer understands, it is part of their job to accept feedback and critique on their work. That's mainly why I'm here, to offer some feedback.

What is it about this site that makes my eyes bleed when I go elsewhere, like ebay, or gmail, or almost any other website? When I leave cheapassgamer.com after only several minutes of browsing its webpages, my eyes go bonkers. That's because most other sites, particularly forums, feature lighter-colored backgrounds and the juxtaposition is really jarring. A website where one does a lot of reading (such as this one) should be a lighter color with black or dark-colored text that provides maximum readability with minimum discomfort. The color scheme is funky too. I understand you (the designer) was going for the classic game/computer feel, but the orange and the green give off an alien thing that just doesn't jive with me. It might work under difference circumstances. It's not my biggest issue though.

The page layout is a mess. It believe it would be easier to find things in a classified newspaper. Could the website possibly use one or two fonts instead of a dozen? I have nothing against the two-column layout on the front page, but I think the aforementioned elements are helping it lose its effectiveness. What are all these things I have to scroll down the page for? Could these features be helpful? Of course they are ... but they are way down the page.

I'd like to see some improvements, but a total redesign wouldn't be something I'd be entirely opposed to. I know the design has been like this for years, but I hope the website owner/designer can reap something positive from my feedback and I look forward to your comments. And once again, to all the content creators on this site; thank you for providing us with great deals day after day.

I prefer the light font on dark background. It is actually easier on the eyes than reading text on a bright white background I think. Also the site has been this format for what 5 or 6 years? I think most of the people here are satisfied with it. This site doesn't need flashy annoying shit on it like ebay, sure there are a few small harmless ads here but its primarily a forum for finding and posting deals. I like the layout, simple to use, easy on the eyes.

I prefer the black, it's easier on my eyes. Staring at white for a long time is like staring at a light bulb. You're the only person who i've seen complain about the color scheme. Layout is another thing, i kind of agree there.

I feel pretty much the opposite. To me, the dark colors of this site make it easier to read and less straining on the eyes.

I wish all websites were dark like this. It's eye-friendly in a dark room.
It's official, the OP is a racist prick.

I think the black is better easier on the eyes. I'm a fan of the whole site. Especially the new blog section ruled.

[quote name='adriley313']I think the black is better easier on the eyes. I'm a fan of the whole site. Especially the new blog section ruled.[/quote]

Yeah I agree, I think the black tone actually helps the eyes as bright colored websites usually pop out and blind you.

I'm with the light-text, dark-background majority here. Gamefaqs and gmail are god damned painful sometimes.

Don't really care about the main page layout, so... y'know, you might be making valid points there. But I neither know nor care.

darker webpages uses less energy. go green!

dark bg + white text is where its at. At least cag doesn't look like that other game trading site which mixed purple w/ vomit.

edit: just thought about it...make a greasemonkey script to change the colors if its that bothersome.

I always thought this site was a bit hard on the eyes, too. But I'm glad for it!
It makes the riff-raff run away, leaving more deals for those of us who are truly dedicated cheap-asses.

He makes a good point, while CAGs dark background doesnt bother me as much as some others, light bg with darker text is a better way to go.

Giving the option of different style sheets for the site would be a great idea. If you prefer this dark gray then you can keep it, if not you can select another option.

I agree with the black background.

I use AutoCAD for 8 hours a day and the white on black background works a whole lot better than black on white for me. Much easier on my eyes.

Staring at white that long would make me really think my job was in a prison cell.

OP is clearly in the very small minority. Nearly all posts prefer light on dark (much like my girlfriend *rimshot*). It's much easier on the eyes for the majority of people and I don't see Cheapy changing it anytime soon.

My eyes have sucked lately, I have to have the brightness on my monitor all the way down and still can't deal with black-on-white.. the less light a color scheme causes my monitor to emit, the better

The one thing I would like to see changed is the text inside of spoiler tags. Red is very hard on the eyes, I'd prefer yellow.

I like how all the people who hate it are newbies, and I especially like how the OP can type out four paragraphs of complaints but can't even post it in the correct forum. :roll:

I like the font choices and the color palette.

I love the layout here as well as the colors. I love having everything on one page, so I can sit back, scrolls down, and find most of the topics I want to read all from one page. CAG is one of the few sites I can stand anymore. With the changes they made to Ebay recently, I've found it more of a hassle to use more than anything, only buying one thing in the past several months when I used to buy probably 6-12 items a month. Facebook is another site that changed their complete layout and ever since I hate it, I hardly use it anymore. CAG needs to stay the way it is, it works, it looks good. Don't fix something that isn't broken :)

Burritoman summed it up best. There's a reason why a lot of CAD apps do with a darker background...

I like the Colors,as well - easier on the eyes.

But you hate the layout? But there are boxes everywhere! Boxes around boxes! Without CAG, the streets would be littered with homeless boxes. The real question, OP, is why do you hate boxes so much?

Please, have some compassion, and think about the boxes...

Color scheme doesn't bother me.

I'm not sure how or who Cheapy contracts out for web site design and development, but to have it done professionally is not cheap. It works and looks fine, why change it.

Cheapy can't please everyone.

The site is free, stop bitching and stfu or gtfo.

not sure why but i LOL'd at this thread being in Your Man In Japan

there are like a hundred threads all about cheapy by cheapy and then one non-cheapy thread berating the site

awesome

[quote name='crunchb3rry']http://havenworks.com/

go there. come back. repose question.[/quote]

Jebus save my eyes!

Seriously, I love the dark bkg- so much easier on the eyes and my laptop lasts a good bit longer lurking here vs other deal sites.

Also, the layout in the beta version is a good bit more configurable.

It's a high utility lay-out that is both logical and fast loading.

I have no qualms with it, and can get every where I need to go in two clicks or less, which is more than I can say for SD or FW. Also, the community here is 100x better, save a few poor souls.

[quote name='h3llbring3r'] Also, the community here is 100x better, save a few poor souls.[/quote]

Whoever did you have in mind?:)

I haz uber dezine skillz...let me critisize ur websites. I think the layout is nice, I really dont think there needed to be a thread about this at all...who cares if you dont like it....really?

[quote name='PlumeNoir']Burritoman summed it up best. There's a reason why a lot of CAD apps do with a darker background...[/quote]

I feel as though it makes it easier to read and see details on a drawing. Plus if you're staring at it for 8-10 hours it seems easier on my eyes. Same with this site, easier to read.

We do have one oddball draftsman who likes the white better, out of 6 of us, so it's about 16% of us who likes the dark better.

Not to go off topic, but why is this thread in the 'Your Man in Japan' section?

P.S. I like the color scheme and layout. They could obviously be better, but it's nothing worth complaining about in my opinion.

[quote name='ihadFG']I feel pretty much the opposite. To me, the dark colors of this site make it easier to read and less straining on the eyes.[/QUOTE]2nd'd

[quote name='The Crotch']I'm with the light-text, dark-background majority here. Gamefaqs and gmail are god damned painful sometimes.

Don't really care about the main page layout, so... y'know, you might be making valid points there. But I neither know nor care.[/quote]

This.

bread's done
Back