Thor

H.Cornerstone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey CAG,

with the announcement of the movie and a song by Amon Amarth, I have become greatly intrigued with reading about him, and was wondering if anyone could give a recommendation of a comic book or novel to read up on him.

Read The Ultimates trades. I normally consider Thor to be one of the lamest Marvel characters ever but Thor is awesome in that. They imply he's just batshit crazy, not an actual god.

Also, go rent Adventures In Babysitting.

Ya The Ultimates is a great read in TPB. I really like the ones with his brother Odin. There putting these movies out getting g ready for an Avengers movie.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Read The Ultimates trades. I normally consider Thor to be one of the lamest Marvel characters ever but Thor is awesome in that. They imply he's just batshit crazy, not an actual god.

Also, go rent Adventures In Babysitting.[/quote]

[quote name='adriley313']Ya The Ultimates is a great read in TPB. I really like the ones with his brother Odin. There putting these movies out getting g ready for an Avengers movie.[/quote]

I must be behind the times. I could've sworn that Loki was his brother and Odin was his dad. But the Ultimates might've changed that. I dunno; I haven't kept up.

Actually, reading about Norse mythology would be a great start, since that's what the character(s) are based off of.

That is the new Thor ongoing, where he has been reborn post-Ragnarok and Asgard is now floating above Oklahoma (or Nebraska) i forget which. It's a very good read however.

Mythology aside some good Marvel Thor reading would have to be the Thor Visionaries:Walt Simonson trade.

Ultimate Thor can be found in Ultimates Volume 1 and 2 (absolutely avoid Ultimates 3)

[quote name='jaykrue']I must be behind the times. I could've sworn that Loki was his brother and Odin was his dad. But the Ultimates might've changed that. I dunno; I haven't kept up.[/quote]

Nope, hadn't changed.

[quote name='JolietJake']Actually, reading about Norse mythology would be a great start, since that's what the character(s) are based off of.[/quote]

Very true.

My recommendations are:

Thor V1. by J.M. Straczynski
Ultimates 1 & 2
The Collection when Thor turns into Thor-frog

[quote name='jaykrue']I must be behind the times. I could've sworn that Loki was his brother and Odin was his dad. But the Ultimates might've changed that. I dunno; I haven't kept up.[/QUOTE]

No your right. I got them mixed up. Thx for the correction.

270px-SG1-thor.jpg

16 posts in and nobody mentions the true Thor

Go back to the Jack Kirby stuff. Classic.

Hopefully Marvel will get off it's ass soon with a new Masterworks line on paperback. Classic TPBs is the one area where DC has Marvel beat.

DC has some good collections (stuff you'd NEVER be able to find issue for issue). You ever see Dark Horse's Omnibus line? Those are some nice collections. Nice matching sets (even between franchises), and priced very fairly. Can't wait until the day all their Star Wars collections are completed.

Marvel's sets are so painfully expensive though. Secret Wars is $62 fucking dollars on Amazon!?

[quote name='kube00']Nah you need some Thor from the 80s early 90s, to see who else can wield the hammer. Beta Ray Bill anyone?[/quote]

Yes, therefore the Walt Simonson suggestions are spot on, IMO.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Read The Ultimates trades. I normally consider Thor to be one of the lamest Marvel characters ever but Thor is awesome in that. They imply he's just batshit crazy, not an actual god.

Also, go rent Adventures In Babysitting.[/QUOTE]

It has since been resolved that Ultimate Thor is in fact who he claims but he and his whole family are also batshit crazy. This is why things are better when the gods keep their distance.

Another, more obscure, movie reference is in 'Unbreakable.' In one scene, Sam Jackson's character holds a Thor comic from approximately the era in which he was cursed with fragile bones and combined inability to both not heal and not die. Before the storyline ended he was reduced to a sort of armor-encased blob.

The movie's writer-director was acknowledging his inspiration for the congenital condition the Jackson character suffers from and shapes his desire to force a real-life superhuman to take on the mantle of active intervention in the world.

bread's done
Back