Thoughts on people who reserve, flip games

EvilChamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
Hey everyone - 

Just wanted to get a discussion started about an issue that many on this forum seem divided on. 

With exclusive Limited Editions and preorders some savvy gamers can predict whether a game will become valuable or if it'll be worthless or cost less in the near future. I should note, that some people get the LEs because they just LOVE the franchise. In my case, for example, it would be Dark Souls. I just want that stuff, I don't care what the future value will be.

But when it comes to commenting on selling rare games or LEs, some people get upset, because, well, let's face it - those gamers are eating up all the preorders, buying as many as they can to make as much money as possible. Others, simply don't care.

The majority of us on this forum are gamers that like to get a good deal. Sometimes, buying a LE with the intention of selling it for profit is a good strategy to put toward another game that you really want.

I'm going to use a recent example. The Wind Waker LE set for $59.99 was priced really low, came with a cool box and a Ganon figurine. Only one retailer was selling it. At first, it was announced for EU only, but I started the thread stating that it would come to the states.  

This is the first time in my gaming history that I'm buying a game with the intention to sell it for a profit. A lot of people were turned off when I said this in another thread on Wind Waker LE, resulting in a brief silencing by moderators. (I said, "I'm going to flip this and put all the profit toward Dark Souls II, the greatest game in the history of ever.")

Granted, my comment was made before Gamestop sold out. But the writing was on the wall that this game would have a brief surge in price due to rarity and nostalgia. I recently sold my preorder on eBay for $145 and $2.99 shipping. 

Now, I don't have a problem with people doing this - to each their own. I do have a problem with people like the guy who bought all the LE Hyrule Historia Books and flipping them on the bay.  But again, to each their own. 

WHAT DO YOU THINK? 

Where does the community (YOU) stand on this? Is it wrong to make money off games to put toward other games (or gas in the tank or whatever)? Or is this something that's OK, but as long as you're not eating up all the preorders? Chime in. No flame, please. Let's have a civilized discussion about this and see where the community stands. 

For me, I think it's OK, if you buy one or two (one to keep for yourself, the other to sell) LEs, games if you feel the value will shoot up. After all, you are the one taking the risk, the game may not shoot up in price. And often, the increase in price is only short term due to hype. I collect games and have seen this happen dozens of times - Mass Effect 1 is a perfect example. It was $40 after part 3 came out, but before that it was like $8. It is now selling for about $12. 

Please, post below. Where do you stand? Or have you done this before and failed/succeeded? 

I personally think it's okay to flip if it's within reason. Now that might mean different things to people (some flip for games, others flip to put food on the table, etc.) but I draw the line when it becomes obnoxious (like the asshole who bought all those Hyrule books). I think people should exercise some level of self control so that it doesn't ruin it for the rest of the gaming population, but again, people have different views on how much is too much.

Personally, I've never bought something with the intention of flipping. Most of the games I trade in for credit are games I've had for a bit and just want to get rid of because of clutter. So yeah, my two cents on the topic.

I flipped games for about four years. It wasn't so much about the money (at least after the first year), but it was just something fun to do. When all was said and done, I made about $100,000 in sales, which I thought was pretty impressive for a side hobby. I like to think I practiced at least some sense of restraint in respect for CAGs: I never bought more than two copies of anything I flipped (except for one case where an FYE way out in the middle of nowhere had a massive stock of cheap, NIB Game Boy Advances... I think I bought about 50 of those over the course of a year), and generally did not care for the "LOL ITS JUST CAPITALISM" bragging types.

Still, outside of the thrill of hunting through pawn shops and the like, I always considered it something of a secret shame. None of my friends or family knew about it unless they would come to my apartment and see a corner packed with all sorts of games and boxes and I would have to tell them. The thing about flipping is that you might be making money, but you don't feel especially proud about it. I'm not some big-shot dealer.... I'm a scalper, skulking around the alleys, trying not to get caught. Nearly all of my connections would have banned me if they knew I was buying this stuff to make a bigger profit than them.

Anyway, my thought about flipping has always been this: do what you want, just don't talk about it. Think about it: how do you benefit by telling people you are flipping? At best (and I think I'm being generous here), you will get two or three people who say "nice pull." At worst? Well, pretty much everyone else hates you. I think this is one of those things where you should keep your Over-Sharing Syndrome in check, and just remain silent.

I flipped games for about four years. It wasn't so much about the money (at least after the first year), but it was just something fun to do. When all was said and done, I made about $100,000 in sales, which I thought was pretty impressive for a side hobby.
Some very nice points, especially on the bragging bit. I've noticed people be more subtle on the forums, simply saying, "I'm going to get two, one for me the other to put on eBay."

But HOLY &O^*&(^! You made $100K in sales. Very impressive. That's insane. What part of the country are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't much have an opinion on it. If I had the financial base to buy items in bulk and resell, perhaps I would too. Probably better ways to invest, though.

But yeah, it's not a travesty to me.

I don't see it as some huge travesty either. I also don't buy CEs or care about getting hardware day one etc. though so I'm not affected by it.

Putting on my judgemental hat, I do think it's a bit of a pathetic way to make a little money to buy games or whatever vs. doing something with yourself so you make enough to afford all the games etc. you want.

Personally I've only ever bought LEs/CEs (and games in general) because I wanted to add them to my collection; never with the intention of reselling for a profit.

That said, all of us have the same chance to reserve whatever is the hot LE of the moment. If someone is interested in an LE, but waits around instead of preordering right away, and then it sells out and they miss their chance, I don't know what to say to that person except "Too bad, you messed up."

I resell DVDs/Blu-rays instead of games, but I rarely hoard. I don't mind seeing somebody snag stuff for reselling (Hell, my last few batches of discs are about 75% flipping) though hoarding tends to annoy me.

I will say that FYE/SecondSpin and MovieStop love me, though.

My biggest issue with flipping is when people use it in conjunction with GameStop. Flipping on EBay or Craigslist I don't really have any problem with. What upsets me is when someone goes to a sale at a big-box store, buys all the stock, and then flips it at the GameStop across the street for pennies on the dollar. Practices like this are just a massive waste of a good deal, and take great bargains out of the hands of other CAGs.

Flipping or investing in collector's or special editions for peer-to-peer sales is fair game in my book. That sort of speculation is fine, and usually doesn't result in price-gouging for collectors. If someone is able to make a decent living off of this kind of practice, more power to them. "Buy cheap, sell dear" is a basic economic principle.

That said, all of us have the same chance to reserve whatever is the hot LE of the moment. If someone is interested in an LE, but waits around instead of preordering right away, and then it sells out and they miss their chance, I don't know what to say to that person except "Too bad, you messed up."
Can't agree more. I missed out on what will be the rarest PSP game ever because I waited and didn't preorder.

I didn't want it to flip, I just wanted to have the rarest PSP game ever=D

I don't see it as some huge travesty either. I also don't buy CEs or care about getting hardware day one etc. though so I'm not affected by it.

Putting on my judgemental hat, I do think it's a bit of a pathetic way to make a little money to buy games or whatever vs. doing something with yourself so you make enough to afford all the games etc. you want.
I was going to say this. Video games are a terrible way to invest money.

Flipping isn't something that interests me but It doesn't bother me either. I understand most flippers see it more as a hobby then a source of income. If you enjoy it more power to ya. If you flip just to make money then...well... good luck with that.

I have no problem with people buying 1 or 2 extra to flip.  It's the assholes that buy 40 of them, IE hyrule historia LEs and WW LEs like Tommy that are assholes that try to justify it as "oh I put all my money in this to make an investment" and end up making people miss out on a copy for themselves instead of paying 250+ bucks for it marked up.

bread's done
Back