Thoughts on retro usb carts

AgentLoFi

CAG Veteran
Just wondering what you guys think of these flash carts ie NES powerpak, SMS master everdrive, GB smartboy, the c64 ultimate2, and so on.

I personally love these devices, though I don't own every game, i can at least play every one without using an emulator, which i tend to be turned off when using emu's. Added bonus, is all the great homebrew that is still being developed for these timeless machines.

I've looked into these before, but was kind of turned off by the $100+ price tag. That was awhile ago, so I'm not sure if they've dropped since then. Honestly, I just use my Wii modded with the HBC to play all the classic systems. Having entire sets of NES, SNES, Genesis, GB, GBC, and GBA games that all fit on one SD card is nice. I also love not having to sit in front of a computer to play them.

[quote name='AgentLoFi']Just wondering what you guys think of these flash carts ie NES powerpak, SMS master everdrive, GB smartboy, the c64 ultimate2, and so on. [/QUOTE]

Where do you see most of these? I only see an NES and SNES one on their site.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Where do you see most of these? I only see an NES and SNES one on their site.[/QUOTE]

check out store.kitsch-bent.com/ for the SMS and the gb carts and the c64 ultimateII has its own website and unfortunately it's rarely available since its only made in small batches.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I've looked into these before, but was kind of turned off by the $100+ price tag. That was awhile ago, so I'm not sure if they've dropped since then. Honestly, I just use my Wii modded with the HBC to play all the classic systems. Having entire sets of NES, SNES, Genesis, GB, GBC, and GBA games that all fit on one SD card is nice. I also love not having to sit in front of a computer to play them.[/QUOTE]

Well, when you consider that it's ~$100 for every game ever made, it's not unreasonable, especially if you'd rather use the real controller on the real system. Though I guess technically you're still emulating the carts.

Price-wise, you might be better off getting USB versions of the NES and SNES controllers, since that's the core hardware piece. I mean, if you're emulating the games anyway, what's the point of having the actual systems?

bread's done
Back