THQ - Most assets sold - another auction in May - Crytek to buy Darksiders IP

[quote name='marsilies']Take Two is rumored to have picked up the WWE license:
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/wwe-video-game-license-to-be-acquired-by-take-two

Note that this wasn't part of the bankruptcy auction; the license reverted back to WWE when THQ went bankrupt, and they shopped it around.[/QUOTE]

It's official now. I would of never expected WWE to be picked up by Take Two. I have a question however. Does this mean that Take Two will just publish the game and keep the same developer (Yuke's)?.

I get confused by how all of this works. Because if the developer doesn't change then this really doesn't matter imo.

[quote name='waldo21212']Yeah but's gross not net. If it cost them $30M to make it, then they only made $32.1M.

I had to LOL what looks like a bunch of Ubisoft lowball bids.[/QUOTE]

There's also no way they sold all 2.7 million copies at $60.

[quote name='elessar123']There's also no way they sold all 2.7 million copies at $60.[/QUOTE]

And don't they reimburse stores for the sale price? Or is that price store initiated?

I seriously can't believe that no one picked up Vigil and the Darksiders license. I thought that would have been the best thing that THQ had to offer.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I seriously can't believe that no one picked up Vigil and the Darksiders license. I thought that would have been the best thing that THQ had to offer.[/QUOTE]

I dunno about being the best thing to offer, in light of Saint's Row, but still the fact that there were no bids at all for Vigil is quite surprising. I'm disappointed that this effectively means the end of a studio that was seemingly on the verge of hitting it big. Given a little more time, I really think things could have been different for Vigil.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I dunno about being the best thing to offer, in light of Saint's Row, but still the fact that there were no bids at all for Vigil is quite surprising. I'm disappointed that this effectively means the end of a studio that was seemingly on the verge of hitting it big. Given a little more time, I really think things could have been different for Vigil.[/QUOTE]

Any word on the amount of debt Vigil may have? Maybe a bid of even $1 meant taking on more debt than some publishers wanted along with funding the full cost of a new game.

Someone could still get the Darksiders license, but Vigil is done. My guess is the other studios are already working on something, while Vigil just released a game and won't have anything done for a while.

It's a shame, but I think two things killed a proper bid for Vigil:
1) Joe Madureira left as creative director back in October. While Vigil's team is talented, he was the backbone of Darksiders.
2) Apparently nothing in production, or at the least, in a reasonable state of production.

However, PlatinumGames (of Bayonetta fame) is showing interest in the Darksiders IP.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm honestly not sure if I like where Sanits Row and Metro ended up...[/QUOTE]

why not? Deep Silver probably allow them to do whatever they want while someone like EA might be more concern with the company's image.

[quote name='Guerrilla']It's a shame, but I think two things killed a proper bid for Vigil:
1) Joe Madureira left as creative director back in October. While Vigil's team is talented, he was the backbone of Darksiders.
2) Apparently nothing in production, or at the least, in a reasonable state of production.

However, PlatinumGames (of Bayonetta fame) is showing interest in the Darksiders IP.[/QUOTE]
I knew, without a shadow of the doubt, that the project we were working on (Codenamed: Crawler) was going to blow people away. In fact, it DID blow people away. We did, in TWO months, what many companies haven't done in a year. The pride of knowing that no one was doing anything like us was so satisfying, it kept us coming to work and giving 100% every single day, even through the dark times.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/23/3908986/a-goodbye-from-one-of-vigil-games-many-former-employees

Vigil was in the process of making a game codenamed Crawler.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Foot to mouth! Well, that does strike me as odd that they didn't get any bids.[/QUOTE]

It's not entirely surprising. Even if Project Crawler was as impressive as he said, it doesn't change the fact that it was still very early in development. That puts it in the same place as Darksiders III, where whoever buys the studio would have to fully fund development.

The other studios and IPs had upcoming entries that were further along, whether they were almost done (South Park, Metro, Company of Heroes 2), had some necessary groundwork already done (Saints Row came with a bunch of in-progress music licensing deals, according to the court documents), and/or were being developed by outside companies (Homefront, Evolve, Metro, South Park).

Ideally, a company will buy the Darksiders IP, rehire key staff members, and develop Darksiders III using an internal studio. Worst case scenario, a company buys it and a bunch of IPs on the cheap to sit on, much like what happened to many of Acclaim's IPs.

[quote name='Cao Cao']It's not entirely surprising. Even if Project Crawler was as impressive as he said, it doesn't change the fact that it was still very early in development. That puts it in the same place as Darksiders III, where whoever buys the studio would have to fully fund development.

The other studios and IPs had upcoming entries that were further along, whether they were almost done (South Park, Metro, Company of Heroes 2), had some necessary groundwork already done (Saints Row came with a bunch of in-progress music licensing deals, according to the court documents), and/or were being developed by outside companies (Homefront, Evolve, Metro, South Park).

Ideally, a company will buy the Darksiders IP, rehire key staff members, and develop Darksiders III using an internal studio. Worst case scenario, a company buys it and a bunch of IPs on the cheap to sit on, much like what happened to many of Acclaim's IPs.[/QUOTE]
i think the latter is more likely

I really am surprised that Sony didn't put up a bid for Darksiders. I think they could easily mash that up with God of War and meld the two series into something wonderful like the Legacy of Kaine/Soul Reaver series.

[quote name='62t']why not? Deep Silver probably allow them to do whatever they want while someone like EA might be more concern with the company's image.[/QUOTE]

I've never heard Koch Media (unless it's the same as Koch Industries) and have no idea how they woud want Deep Silver to treat the IP. Guess you're right though, Deep Silver seems to have autonomy on what they do.

Oh well, at least SR and Metro will live on.

Looms like everything else is going to be sold off at a seperate auction in a couple weeks. Nothing will be left. This will be your chance to pick up obscure an obscure IP no one wants for $1.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-about-thq-39-s-struggles-and-final-days.aspx

What happens to THQ's back catalog – especially for franchises that THQ once owned, but weren't sold off? What happens to properties like Darksiders and Red Faction?
There will be a separate process to sell off the back catalog and IP. That process will take place in the coming weeks.

Also of interest (this basically says there will be no company left to exit bankruptcy):
"And of course, unfortunately THQ’s non-development personnel are out of work as of the end of this week; this was a casualty of the court’s decision to allow piecemeal sale of assets."

[quote name='Vinny']I've never heard Koch Media (unless it's the same as Koch Industries) and have no idea how they woud want Deep Silver to treat the IP. Guess you're right though, Deep Silver seems to have autonomy on what they do.

Oh well, at least SR and Metro will live on.[/QUOTE]

Dead island

[quote name='cancerman1120']Any word on the amount of debt Vigil may have? Maybe a bid of even $1 meant taking on more debt than some publishers wanted along with funding the full cost of a new game.[/QUOTE]

That's not the way this works. Buyers aren't taking on the liabilities of the studios. They own them free and clear. No one wanted Vigil because it's last game was a flop, it's working on a new IP, and since it just released a game the new IP is far from being released and the buyer will have to fund the studio millions of dollars for years to bring that new game to release.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Amazed how little other companies put down for Saints Row and Volition. SR3 sold 2.3M copies. Supposedly the publisher makes $27 dollars off each new $60 game. Therefore THQ made around (2.3M x $27) = 62.1M. Obviously this could be completely off, but it should give a good estimation. I just think that a franchise/studio able to rack up that much money for a publisher should be worth a lot more.

1289873-gameanatomy_super.jpg

Source: From Online gaming service.[/QUOTE]

No, SR3 sold over 5 million copies. Volition was purchased extremely cheaply.

Homefront 2 was virtually a steal. Crytek has been making that game and THQ funded them 14 million for it so far. THQ still owed them 1 million so that's a write-off no matter what. Then they went in and bid 500k for Homefront 2 and won since there were no other bids. So they've got this game that may not sell well but they've already been paid 14 million for it and are only 1.5 million in the hole, they're experts of it's design, and they've been coding it all along. They'll make a huge profit on that even if only a couple hundred thousand sell.

[quote name='Mako1215']And don't they reimburse stores for the sale price? Or is that price store initiated?[/QUOTE]

Normally there's a deal where both the store and the publisher/dev take a hit on the sale so neither has to shoulder the whole thing. For drops in MSRP, the publisher has to pay the stores back. In this case, the stores are SOL for money owed on price drops as the bondholders are first to be repaid and they will either not be fully repaid or will barely get fully repaid. If there's anything left after that the retailers have to fight with EVERYONE over what's left. I'm pretty sure LA County property tax is due for instance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else in the Austin area want to put a bid on Vigil? We could buy our own game studio. I call dibs on Dictator-For-Life.

[quote name='YBX87']maybe those who wanted to see vigil pickup, should go bid on it, LOL there is still time[/QUOTE]
Again, as I said, the issue is funding. Sure you can bid on it and if you win it for a buck or 100 dollars or whatever, you're going to have to find a way to keep the lights on and the staff paid while the next game is developed. Meaning, you're going to have to get a tens of million dollar loan from someone unless you're already very wealthy and can fund it out of pocket.

Lets put it this way, The big companies looked at it and didn't want it. You probably don't want it either. IMO the staff at vigil should buy themselves. That would be for the best.

[quote name='Strell']Anyone else in the Austin area want to put a bid on Vigil? We could buy our own game studio. I call dibs on Dictator-For-Life.[/QUOTE]

One thing that people could have done, bought Vigil for $1 then laid everyone off, shut the doors, and sold everything.

[quote name='Strell']I could own the whole building. But I'm not letting Milhouse be the overnight security guard.[/QUOTE]

Be careful buying something that will involve lots of costs. I'd say if you want a piece of history then wait for the next auction, read the rules for it, then see if you can buy some really old IP no one wants. Who knows maybe you can lisence it to someone for a couple bucks!

[quote name='Blaster man']Again, as I said, the issue is funding. Sure you can bid on it and if you win it for a buck or 100 dollars or whatever, you're going to have to find a way to keep the lights on and the staff paid while the next game is developed. Meaning, you're going to have to get a tens of million dollar loan from someone unless you're already very wealthy and can fund it out of pocket.

Lets put it this way, The big companies looked at it and didn't want it. You probably don't want it either. IMO the staff at vigil should buy themselves. That would be for the best.

One thing that people could have done, bought Vigil for $1 then laid everyone off, shut the doors, and sold everything.[/QUOTE]
i have no interest in vigil, or the darksiders or whatever they had in developing. I am not surprise the darksiders II was a flop, the graphics was subpar, and gameplay was so so. after playing darksiders one, I was surprised they even make a sequel for the game

looking forward to a darksiders game featuring fury, wonder why ms or sony haven't picked anything up.
not like these prices are conker's bad fur day levels

Just an extremely formal reminder of what all these businesses care about. It certainly isn't making games.

Figures that I finally finished Darksiders 2 yesterday. Now my desire to play the next game is enormous, and there won't be one — such a unique series, too. Maybe we'll get a comic; I'd at least like to know what happens in the story.

I guess Brian Farrell's days flying in corporate jets on THQ's dime are almost over. Someone took a picture of him in the bankruptcy hearings. He's relaxed, just another day in the office.

BBX6IiGCUAAWfs-.jpg:large

[quote name='Blaster man']I guess Brian Farrell's days flying in corporate jets on THQ's dime are almost over. Someone took a picture of him in the bankruptcy hearings. He's relaxed, just another day in the office.
[/QUOTE]

Seriously, fuck this guy.

New in-depth article about the collapse of THQ:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-collapse-of-thq-the-full-story/0110180

A choice quote from Jason Rubin:
"I think it is incorrect to attribute THQ's predicament with overall changes in the industry,

To be sure, all triple-A publishers have been under pressure, but THQ had every chance to survive had it not made massive mistakes.

Unfortunately, the mistakes that were made long before I joined, like the incredible losses attached to uDraw, massive wasted capital in the unpublished MMO that was cancelled, sticking with children's and casual titles far after mobile and tablets had killed the business, bad, late, or otherwise inferior titles like Homefront, and a generally haphazard and inefficient approach to deal making, left the company with too much negative hanging on its books."

[quote name='Spokker']What did he do?[/QUOTE]
Read below.
[quote name='marsilies']New in-depth article about the collapse of THQ:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-collapse-of-thq-the-full-story/0110180

A choice quote from Jason Rubin:[/QUOTE]

They'd be better off reading my posts from the start of this thread to the end. I know a hell of a lot more about THQ's collapse than the guy that wrote that article. You can't listen to Rubin.

IMO Jason Rubin and Brian Farrell should go to jail. For what they did to the company and trying to give Clearlake a sweetheart deal.

Bondholder objection. I bolded and underlined some interesting stuff. It's important to keep in mind this a legal document filed in court. For them to file this document and state these kinds of things says a lot about THQ management. If you don't want to read it all, red the parts I have in red. It's pretty damning that these guys were willing to make those claims.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/118726859/THQI-Noteholder-Objection
Explore

NYC:245106.7
INTRODUCTION

In the Bidding Procedures Motion, the Debtors seek approval of the terms thatwill govern the timing and substance of an expedited sale of what is referred to in the saledocuments as “all or substantially all” of the Debtors’ assets to Clearlake Capital Group, L.P.(“Clearlake”).
If a sale or liquidation of the Debtors’ assets is the best means by which tomaximize and realize value for the Debtors’ unsecured creditors, so be it. Nonetheless, thebidding procedures must be fair and reasonable and provide for a bona fide and robust biddingprocess.2.

Approval of the bidding procedures (the “Bidding Procedures”) proposed by the Debtors and Clearlake would have the opposite effect. The Bidding Procedures appear to have been designed specifically to thwart any potential bidders from stepping forward to compete withClearlake’s bid. The Bidding Procedures contain numerous provisions that would limit bidding,including, among other things, (i) an unjustifiably accelerated sale timeline that will prevent prospective bidders from having an opportunity to “diligence” the Debtors’ assets prior to submitting a bid, (ii) a requirement that prospective purchasers bid on the Debtors “as a whole”rather than on a “piecemeal” or “title-by-title” basis, (iii) various provisions that would allow the Debtors to unreasonably reject bids and/or bidders regardless of the impact to the Debtors’unsecured creditors, and (iv) provisions that grant Clearlake unreasonable amounts of control over the bidding process. Rather than being designed to maximize the value of the Debtors’estates, the Bidding Procedures, by design or otherwise, render the “auction process”meaningless and virtually guarantee that Clearlake will be the ultimate buyer, thereby ensuring
In fact, Clearlake can “pick and choose” the assets and contracts it wants to acquire.

that the Debtors’ management retain their positions within, and operating control over, theDebtors’ organization.3.

Because the Bidding Procedures are neither fair and reasonable nor designed tomaximize the value of the Debtors’ estates, they should not be approved.
BACKGROUNDI. C
OMPANY
O
VERVIEW

The Debtors develop and publish “video games” for various game consoles,personal computers, wireless devices and the internet. The Debtors’ game portfolio includesaction, adventure, fighting, role-playing, simulation, sports and strategy games. The Debtorsmarket and distribute these games to mass merchandisers, consumer stores, discount warehousesand other national retail stores, as well as through the internet, throughout the United States andinternationally.5.

Although these cases were just commenced and no discovery has taken place, itappears that the Debtors’ most valuable asset is its intellectual property and the goodwill relatedthereto. Several of the Debtors’ most popular games, including such critically acclaimed andextremely popular titles as
Saints Row
Darksiders
and
Company of Heroes
, are based onintellectual property that is wholly-owned by the Debtors and developed by their internal studios.The Debtors also have a number of game titles, including the
Metro
and
Homefront
titles, thatare original to the Debtors but are developed by third party, external developers. Finally, theDebtors also develop and distribute several games pursuant to exclusive intellectual propertylicenses from third parties, such as
World Wrestling Entertainment
and
South Park

The Debtors operate their business globally through various domestic and foreignsubsidiaries and studios. Generally speaking, upon information and belief, THQ, Inc. and/or its

domestic subsidiaries own THQ’s intellectual property and are party to THQ’s valuableintellectual property licenses. THQ’s foreign subsidiaries market and distribute THQ’s games todirect-to-retail customers and through distributors to over 80 territories outside of the U.S. Upon information and belief, cash generated by THQ’s foreign operations is held by THQ’s foreign subsidiaries and “upstreamed” to THQ, Inc. (such subsidiaries’ ultimate parent entity) (by means of intercompany loans rather than corporate dividends).
II. C
HANGE IN
D
EBTORS

M
ANAGEMENT AND THE
C
ENTERVIEW
S
ALE
“P
ROCESS

In late May/early June 2012, Jason Rubin (“Rubin”) and Jason Kay (“Kay” and,together with Rubin, the “Jasons”) began a process orchestrated to take over the Debtors andcapture, for themselves, the significant “upside” value in the Debtors’ business. The Jasons aretwo highly experienced and successful “gaming” industry entrepreneurs and understand thevalue that can be achieved from successful game and entertainment franchises, particularlywhere there exists the potential for significant “hits” or successful games, which plainly existshere.8.

Promptly after the Jasons “took over,” they immediately began to bring in theirown “team” and phase out key members of former management. On June 11, 2012, less than two(2) weeks after the Debtors hired Rubin, the Debtors engaged Centerview Partners, LLC(“Centerview”) “with the primary goal of finding an investor that would provide new liquidity tofund the Debtors’ business plan, or a buyer for substantially all of the Debtors’ assets….”
See Declaration of Brian Farrell in Support of the Debtors’ Chapter 11 Petitions and Requests for First Day Relief
[Docket No. 2], ¶ 41. Upon information and belief, Centerview had a pre-existing relationship with Rubin, apparently having “backed” him in prior transactions. In June

2012, the Debtors did not publicly announce their retention of Centerview or that they wereseeking financing and/or a third party purchaser for any of the Debtors’ assets.9.

During August and September, 2012, Centerview and the Debtors’ managementbegan a so-called marketing “process” focused on finding an investor to either: (i) fund theDebtors’ business plan or (ii) acquire the Debtors’ entire business (as a whole). During this“process,” the Debtors and their advisors focused their attention on contacting “growth-oriented”financial investors (i.e., venture capital and private equity firms) and, by marketing the companyas a whole, effectively precluded strategic investors from participating in a sale process. Thefinancial investors that the Debtors and their advisors did approach included only a few firmsknown for “distressed” investing, which likely further hindered the process.

In addition, the Debtors limited the process to exclude “title-by-title” sales andinformed potential investors that any transaction the Debtors would consider would (i) trigger a“fundamental change” (i.e., a sale of the entire business) and (ii) require that the Debtors’management retain their positions with the Debtors. These conditions were imposed by theDebtors notwithstanding that purchasing individual game titles is known to be attractive tostrategic buyers in the Debtors’ industry. Among other things, “piecemeal” sales (i) avoid theneed for purchasers to acquire duplicative functions and incur related corporate overhead and (ii)allow buyers to acquire complementary titles while leaving behind undesirable ones. In fact whatthe Debtors’ “sale process” did accomplish was to simply confirm that no strategic parties wouldbe interested in the company in its existing configuration. As a result, the only way to run a value
Houlihan Lokey Capital, Inc. (“Houlihan”), the Convertible Committee’s pre-petition financial advisor,understands that, of the financial investors the Debtors and their advisors approached, only a few were “distress-oriented” funds (one of which was Clearlake).

maximizing sale process would be to allow marketing of the company on a “title-by-title” basis.The Debtors’ refusal to consider any “title-by-title” transactions is particularly telling because itis Houlihan’s understanding that the Debtors have received unsolicited interest in certain titlesand franchises in the past, including after the announcement of the bankruptcy proceeding.

On October 26, 2012, the Debtors and Clearlake agreed to the terms of a deal. Assoon as it became clear that Clearlake was interested in purchasing the Debtors “as a whole,” asdescribed below, it appears that THQ’s management and Centerview set the wheels in motion tomanufacture a liquidity “crisis” which culminated in the Debtors’ chapter 11 filing and theexpedited Bidding Procedures Motion.12.

First, during October 2012, the Debtors promptly revised their financial projections to reflect that the Debtors required more cash than they had previously projected.
Next, in early November 2012, THQ announced that the Debtors intended to defer three (3)critical game releases that were integral to the Debtors’ ability to meet their revenue requirements. THQ also, at this time, first announced that it had engaged Centerview to explore financing and restructuring alternatives. THQ, however, did not disclose that it had signed a deal with Clearlake.13.

On November 7, 2012, the Debtors’ secured lenders, Wells Fargo, sent a letter to the Debtors alleging that the Debtors were in default under their secured credit facility as a result of the Debtors’ purported failure to comply with certain covenants under the governing Wells
That strategic investors may be interested in purchasing individual titles is supported by the fact that Houlihan hasreceived significant interest in individual assets and titles from various strategic investors.
The timing of this revision is important. It occurred well before any of the various purposed “liquidity problems”the Debtors now claim caused their bankruptcy filing and thus belies the Debtors’ claims that these problems“forced their hand.”
THQI Noteholder Objection
Hey, we need to put out a game or we'll run out of money. I have a good idea, lets delay all our games!

Last edited by a moderator:
One other thing. The biggest individual shareholder of THQ stock went in court and tried to stop the sale of Volition as that alone would save the company. The judge denied his motion to stay the sale.

Management tried to have all the records related to the sale sealed. They didnt want emails and such going public. The shareholder objected to that as well and the judge refused to seal all THQ records.

Oh and he states that he was talking to the SEC, Justice Dept, and NY AG. Who knows if anything will come of it but it would be nice to have it looked into and decided by people that know the law if crimes were committed.

Edit: He (the shareholder) made these statements in court IN FRONT OF THQ MANAGEMENT.

[quote name='Blaster man']Second auction is supposed to be in May. looks like Crytek plans on buying the Darksiders IP. Maybe we'll see some conclusion to the series after all.
http://www.slashgear.com/crytek-intends-to-take-darksiders-off-thqs-hands-30275884/[/QUOTE]
Eh, this worries me. After Crysis 2 and 3, Crytek seemed to become another one of EA's bitches. I could only imagine how Darksiders gets treated. Especially when Crytek clams Darksiders 3 "doesn't fit out strategy".

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I want Darksiders 3 to be a shooter to fit the different genres of each Horsemen.[/QUOTE]
it might actually happen, lol i doubt i would buy it day, until it drops to $10

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I want Darksiders 3 to be a shooter to fit the different genres of each Horsemen.[/QUOTE]

Its a possibility to be honest. Based upon the novel that came out Strife, one of the Horseman, is armed with duel pistols.

bread's done
Back