Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='wheels']today i found these at a goodwill:

Metal Gear Solid Collection ps2 $10 it is mint
Wing Commander 3 PS1 $4
Wing COmmander 4 PS1 $4
Myst III xbox $4
THPS 2 N64 $3 (to add to my ever growing skateboarding game collection)[/QUOTE]

Urgh ... looking at the prices of Metal Gear Solid Collection now, I realize I never should have opened mine that I got on Amazon back in 2009 for $19.99.

[quote name='sp00ge']I hope you took the time to check the discs, just in case. I had one of those moments a week ago, but I checked the case and there was a copy of Megaman Legends 2 in it.[/QUOTE]
I actually started doing that with ALL of the CD cases at a couple of the SA stores around here. I keep hoping to find that mint copy of Intelligent Qube or one of the Tombas in a case for some Beethoven CD or something.

Hey. It could happen.;)

Of course if I had to actually tally up all of the times I found an INSANE deal and had to pass it up cuz I was like $5 short and they wouldn't budge on the price then I'd be bald by now from having ripped all my hair out thinking about it.:whistle2:#

Worst ones were a likely 'hot' PSP from some dude who was going to trade it into the local shop. He wanted $15, I had $10.:bomb: Next worst was a huge boxload of games/systems, including but not limited to 2 NES old schools, a top loader NES and at least 2 Genesis systems in a ginormous box with shitloads of wires/games/controllers....for $15. I had $0 on me and I didn't have my debit card on me at the time.:cry:

Even worse than those though, was passing up a stack of NEW IN BOX NES top loaders for $15 each at the one temporary Wally World round here.:bomb:

[quote name='chuckywang']Urgh ... looking at the prices of Metal Gear Solid Collection now, I realize I never should have opened mine that I got on Amazon back in 2009 for $19.99.[/QUOTE]

I've seen them in some Walmarts and K-Marts recently for $20. Some things have sky rocketed in price after they are no longer readily available online but you can still find them if you look around. Same thing with Metroid Prime Trilogy, it brings a decent price online but I see them all the time at Walmart and K-Mart.

[quote name='blindinglights']I've seen them in some Walmarts and K-Marts recently for $20. Some things have sky rocketed in price after they are no longer readily available online but you can still find them if you look around. Same thing with Metroid Prime Trilogy, it brings a decent price online but I see them all the time at Walmart and K-Mart.[/QUOTE]

Maybe at your walmart and kmart. I've literally not seen a new MPT since last June, when I bought mine.

Grabbed an Atari Flashback2 with both joysticks for $9.99 - not a great price, I know, but those repro joysticks are a great solution for my real Atari 2600.

Plus, I'm actually a bit surprised at the quality of the device itself, for what's essentially a clone console. Unlike the NES/SNES/Genesis clones out there, the supported (and unmodified) games have spot-on sound and color.

Glad I got the Flashback2 and not the Flashback2+, how could they remove River Raid and Pitfall? That's just criminal.

Had a jackpot run to Goodwill today. Someone dropped off their Sega Saturn collection apparently. There were 23 games on the shelf, 20 came home with me :D 2 copies of Madden and 1 NHL were left behind. Looked all over the store thinking 'there has to be a saturn console here somewhere.' but no luck.

IMG_1793.jpg

The games are: Croc, Iron Man and X-O Manowar in heavy metal, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Hexen, Tomb Raider, F1 Challenge, Bust-a-Move 2, Bug!, Romance of the 3 kingdoms IV, Blazing Dragons, Sim City 2000, Sega Rally Championship, Clockwork Knight, Clockwork Knight 2, Fighting Vipers, two copies of D, Pro-pinball, Grid Runner, and best of all: Dragon Force :cool: Most of the games are complete even with the foam, and only 2 have broken jewel cases.

There were also some NES, SNES and Game Gear games on the VHS shelf. (this good will keeps disc based games with the DVD's on a bookcase up front so the people at the register can keep an eye on them to deter theft, but cartridge games are kept in the back of the store with the VHS stuff.) Games don't hang around at this store either, disc based are DVD priced at 1.99, and carts are VHS priced at .99
here's the carts I picked up today:
IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

SNES: Super Mario All Stars (somehow I have found 1 of these a week for the last 3 weeks) Donkey Kong Country, Populous, Clue, and Tetris 2.
NES: Dr. Mario, Crytalis, Solomon's Key, Pirates, Star Trek TNG, Yoshi's cookie, Pinbot, Fester's Quest, Double Dragon, Willow, and Excitebike.
Game Gear: Ms Pacman, Deep Duck Touble, Arch Rivals, the Jungle Book, Aladdin, Sonic Triple Trouble, Caesars Palace, Tazmania, and Sports Trivia

The NES carts are some of the dirtiest carts I've ever seen....gonna be scrubbing the grime off them for awhile.

$1 and $2, i wish them were the prices at my GWs. At $4 apiece its gotta be a decent game I really want or know I can resell. Still in my no find drought been over a month, this is getting sad haha.

one of my goodwills likes to do "bundle" deals, which i love

photo1nes.jpg

photo3snes.jpg

photo2snes.jpg

photo4dc.jpg

$15.00 for the 16 nes games plus a game genie all in great shape (snow bros was a good find)

$24.00 for the snes system, controllers and 16 games

$14.95 for the dreamcast, complete with mem card, HotD2 disc only, and a loose genesis game genie

sorry for the horrible iPad2 photos, and thats with the "better" back camera, not going to use the ipad for photos again

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']
$24.00 for the snes system, controllers and 16 games

sorry for the horrible iPad2 photos, and thats with the "better" back camera, not going to use the ipad for photos again[/QUOTE]

That is a really nice find. And the pictures are fine.

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']one of my goodwills likes to do "bundle" deals, which i love

$15.00 for the 16 nes games plus a game genie all in great shape (snow bros was a good find)
[/QUOTE]

Snow Bros. is better than a good find! heh.

Awesome!

[quote name='JediKiller24']Had a jackpot run to Goodwill today. Someone dropped off their Sega Saturn collection apparently. There were 23 games on the shelf, 20 came home with me :D 2 copies of Madden and 1 NHL were left behind. Looked all over the store thinking 'there has to be a saturn console here somewhere.' but no luck.

IMG_1793.jpg

The games are: Croc, Iron Man and X-O Manowar in heavy metal, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Hexen, Tomb Raider, F1 Challenge, Bust-a-Move 2, Bug!, Romance of the 3 kingdoms IV, Blazing Dragons, Sim City 2000, Sega Rally Championship, Clockwork Knight, Clockwork Knight 2, Fighting Vipers, two copies of D, Pro-pinball, Grid Runner, and best of all: Dragon Force :cool: Most of the games are complete even with the foam, and only 2 have broken jewel cases.

There were also some NES, SNES and Game Gear games on the VHS shelf. (this good will keeps disc based games with the DVD's on a bookcase up front so the people at the register can keep an eye on them to deter theft, but cartridge games are kept in the back of the store with the VHS stuff.) Games don't hang around at this store either, disc based are DVD priced at 1.99, and carts are VHS priced at .99
here's the carts I picked up today:
IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

SNES: Super Mario All Stars (somehow I have found 1 of these a week for the last 3 weeks) Donkey Kong Country, Populous, Clue, and Tetris 2.
NES: Dr. Mario, Crytalis, Solomon's Key, Pirates, Star Trek TNG, Yoshi's cookie, Pinbot, Fester's Quest, Double Dragon, Willow, and Excitebike.
Game Gear: Ms Pacman, Deep Duck Touble, Arch Rivals, the Jungle Book, Aladdin, Sonic Triple Trouble, Caesars Palace, Tazmania, and Sports Trivia

The NES carts are some of the dirtiest carts I've ever seen....gonna be scrubbing the grime off them for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Lucky, my local Savers was tying to sell crap Saturn games for $10 a piece. Sonic 3D, NHL 97, some other junk. I did manage to get Mortal Kombat, and Mickey's Adventure for SNES for $2 each.

Found these at various stores:

DSC00967.jpg

Final Fantasy Tactics $1
Dark Castle CDI $1
Messiah Nes Controller $0.49
Zelda Ocarina Of Time Guide $1

One of my final stops was a regular thrift store and they had a lot of Snes, Nes, and N64 games but they were asking insane prices. Some of the most notable ones

Legend Of Zelda Nes $25
Super Mario World Snes $18
Donkey Kong Kountry 2 $20
Excite Bike $17
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles $18

Every game there was $15 or more

I found the following at Good Will today, all in excellent condition...

:ps2: Shadow of the Colossus for $2.99
:ps2: Batman Begins $2.99
:ps2: Contra: Shattered Soldiers $3.99
:psp: Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play $1.99

I've been waiting for the HD remake of SotC to finally give it a run through, but I couldn't pass it up at that price. The only reasons I picked up MATEP was for Mortal Kombat 1-3 that are included on it. I apparently don't have enough ways to play MK.

I'm not all that interested in the other two, but figure they'd be worth playing at those prices. Maybe I was wrong, but I didn't spend much.

[quote name='pollmonster']Found these at various stores:

DSC00967.jpg

[/QUOTE]

I used to have that exact guide when I was younger. Congrats on finding it, I'd love to get my hands on another one.

zeldacapcom.jpg

Tobal No. 1 fully complete and great shape $2.00
same for batman returns $2.00

$3.00 each for the gamecube games
all missing the manuals otherwise great shape also

someone overheard me talking about snes games there and sold me their snes collection for $100 (console, 2 controls, and 34 games)
notable titles are secret of mana, mario rpg, kirby super star, dk1-3, and all the standard mario games

snesgamesweb.jpg

sneswcoversweb.jpg

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']What comes in the Zelda Promo disc?[/QUOTE]

Zelda 1, 2, Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, and Wind Waker demo on 1 Gamecube disc. A complete copy has the disc, booklet with instructions for each game, and a Health and Safety Booklet

5 NES carts with black sleeves for 15 + tax

Dr. Mario
Jeopardy 25th Anniversary
Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt/Track Meet
Dragon Warrior
Abadox

No system to test them on
Bad buy?

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt/Track Meet and Dragon Warrior are both dirt cheap, but not a bad buy per say, with the always fun Dr. Mario game. Only $3 a title.

Anyone else run in to people just sitting by the cds & dvds scanning every single one with their phone? I've run in to a few the past few days, and I have to say, it irks me. I'll want to look at what a store has and there will be one or usually two people blocking the section, just to scan everything. Greedy!
Anyway, at a goodwill today I saw a guy doing that, but right behind him in a box was an Intellivision II w/ 19 games and 3 controllers for $20. Picked that up. Hooked it up and.. it works!!

[quote name='dasme313']Anyone else run in to people just sitting by the cds & dvds scanning every single one with their phone? I've run in to a few the past few days, and I have to say, it irks me. I'll want to look at what a store has and there will be one or usually two people blocking the section, just to scan everything. Greedy!
Anyway, at a goodwill today I saw a guy doing that, but right behind him in a box was an Intellivision II w/ 19 games and 3 controllers for $20. Picked that up. Hooked it up and.. it works!![/QUOTE]

Haha yeah I see scanners all the time.

Just got back from Torrance's Goodwill store and bought 2 WaveBird Controllers w/ receiver for $5.99 each.

How do I remove black permanent marker from the controller? Any suggestions?

sd539989.jpg

[quote name='postaboy']
[/QUOTE]

cotton ball, 50% to 90% alcohol and some rubbing action, 50% is safest on the object though, 90% can harm paint and some plastics

[quote name='postaboy']

[/QUOTE]

What has always worked best for me is to go over it with a dry erase marker and then wipe it off. I've probably had a 90% success rate with this method. The only problem is it will kill your dry erase marker pretty quickly.

[quote name='postaboy']Just got back from Torrance's Goodwill store and bought 2 WaveBird Controllers w/ receiver for $5.99 each.

[/QUOTE]

Mr Clean Magic Eraser might do the trick.

[quote name='sp00ge']Mr Clean Magic Eraser might do the trick.[/QUOTE]

Mr Clean Magic Eraser is great for most things, but It may make leave a spot after you use it.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Mr Clean Magic Eraser is great for most things, but It may make leave a spot after you use it.[/QUOTE]

This.

If they are grey you should be fine, but I wouldn't use a magic eraser on one of the platinum wavebirds.

Also, be sure you dampen magic erasers before you use them.

Yeah Magic Erasers are awesome for that.

Another trick is Zippo (or Ronosol) lighter fluid. It evaporates after using, so you should really use it somewhere that has good circulation for an hour or so.

My dad taught to me years ago when we removed last name from about two dozen SNES games he bought.

[quote name='pyoobez']Yeah Magic Erasers are awesome for that.

Another trick is Zippo (or Ronosol) lighter fluid. It evaporates after using, so you should really use it somewhere that has good circulation for an hour or so.

My dad taught to me years ago when we removed last name from about two dozen SNES games he bought.[/QUOTE]

I used to do that, but the damn thing evaporates too fast.

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']i dont get it, if earthbound is so rare why are there so many copies available to purchase between different marketplaces[/QUOTE]

Very few things are truly rare online. You can purchase pretty much anything online easily. Depends on what you want to pay for whatever it is though.

Most of the time my goodwills hold all the video games they receive until they have enough to do a silent auction, where they start the price at ~$200.

Saw an auction last week for 2 ps3 2 snes 1 NES 1 xbox 2 gamecubes and a ton of snes/nes games starting at 175.

Looked cool but whos to know if any of them worked or if any of the games were rare.

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']i dont get it, if earthbound is so rare why are there so many copies available to purchase between different marketplaces[/QUOTE]

For the same reason FFVII was going for $80 on ebay at one point. Demand.

Our Goodwill's flat pricing is a curse and a blessing. Back when I picked up Mario All-Stars and Star Fox for $5 each, it was a great deal. When an NES came in with a stack of common games I'm missing, the total price was way too high for me to jump on it, especially since anything I buy right now is coming out of my savings for the Portland Retro Game Expo. I did pick up a couple of controllers, though, for around $9.

[quote name='pyoobez']Yeah Magic Erasers are awesome for that.

My dad taught to me years ago when we removed last name from about two dozen SNES games he bought.[/QUOTE]

I've been using lighter fluid on marker on games for years now. As long as it's a hard plastic like a SNES/NES/Genesis cart and not something like the lil slipcover coverart goes under on a PS2/Xbox/etc game case.

No gaming related pick ups but I picked up some Disney pins

Here is a link to one of the pins

Http://www.pinlink.com/pins/DS144.html

I have wave 1,2,3,4,5 and a global template. All the pins was in a nice limited Disney case. I got the case with pins for 6.25 at my salvation army

Found a Silent Scope light rifle for the original Xbox for less than $5. It was missing the front barrel attachment and the original break-away cable though.

It works fine with my bulky 20 inch flat screen SD TV. I was expecting it to only work on the old style CRT TVs from the 90s, kind of surprised that it worked.

I couldn't get it to work on a rear projection HDTV, even after setting the Xbox to 480p. Just wouldn't bring up the calibration part on my copy of Silent Scope Complete.

IMG00091-20110528-1447.jpg

Not sure if the records are worth anything but at .99 each said what the hell might as well give it a shot. They're pretty cool either way.

My finds for today were pretty limited. Passed on a whole bunch of PS2 and Xbox sports titles, as well as a disc only copy of Bio Freaks. Also passed on a PS2 dual shock 2 controller.
dscn2525.jpg

EDIT: I lied. Went to one more Goodwill and found these.
dscn2526h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from Goodwill and Blockbuster. I purchased Double Dragon (Gen), Contra Force (NES) and Hitman Trilogy (PS2) from Goodwill. The games on top of them I bought from Blockbuster. I would like to flip the retro games to put some money aside for Infamous 2.

imag0051pk.jpg

I finally found something decent at goodwill. Dance Dance Revolution Disney mix for the PS1. Mint, complete with no scratches on the disk. It looks like it was never used.

[quote name='dasme313']Anyone else run in to people just sitting by the cds & dvds scanning every single one with their phone? I've run in to a few the past few days, and I have to say, it irks me. I'll want to look at what a store has and there will be one or usually two people blocking the section, just to scan everything. Greedy!
[/QUOTE]

I see this happening everywhere I go now, even at the used bookstores in the public libraries. Everytime I see one of these people, I want to LOL and tell them, "You should have been here earlier. Some guy was already here this morning, and scanned and bought all the good stuff." I particularly enjoy watching desperate people scan stuff, buy it, and then a month later redonate all the items back to the public library because they can't sell their stuff on Ebay or Amazon.

[quote name='alexkidd4']I just got back from Goodwill and Blockbuster. I purchased Double Dragon (Gen), Contra Force (NES) and Hitman Trilogy (PS2) from Goodwill. The games on top of them I bought from Blockbuster. I would like to flip the retro games to put some money aside for Infamous 2. [/QUOTE]

Sell that Contra Force ASAP, the game is absolute crap, but it's worth mucho $$$. Looks like you have the box, if you have the manual you'll easily fetch $50+ on eBay. Great score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back