TI-83/84 calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDiddy0042

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
I am planning on taking a summer course in statistics to aid me in my quest of a bachelor's degree. As anyone who has taken statistics knows, a TI-83/84 calculator is an essential piece of equipment to successfully completing the course. So I am turning to my fellow CAG's for help before I go and waste $100.00 on one.

If anybody has one they don't use and it is in good working condition or they know where I can get one at a lower price, the help would be much appreciated. As I stated on my TL thread, I would also be willing to trade multiple games from my list in order to get my hands on one. Thanks in advance.

Would you need the cable or the manual? I have a TI-83 Plus that I've had for about 7 years, but I don't know where I placed the cable for it. So unless you can find a cable for it, you wouldn't be able to put any new apps on it, and I don't know if you need any specific apps for your course. It's definitely been through some wear and tear. The cover slides on loose and a couple of key symbols have worn off. Still works well though, I last used it for my Physic course last Fall.

Anyway, what I would be willing to do is just drop it in bubble mailer and mail it to you for the duration of your course, as long as you return it whenever the course is over. It can't cost more than a few bucks to mail, I would think.

Otherwise, if you looking for something more permanent to have, you can get one from eBay from pretty cheap. I think they run anywhere $20-40. And I would suspect a influx calculators in a few weeks (after finals of most schools), which might keep the price towards the lower end.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']I am planning on taking a summer course in statistics to aid me in my quest of a bachelor's degree. [/quote]

Liar. You know you just want to play Tetris on it. ;)

[quote name='Puffoluf$$$us']Would you need the cable or the manual? I have a TI-83 Plus that I've had for about 7 years, but I don't know where I placed the cable for it. So unless you can find a cable for it, you wouldn't be able to put any new apps on it, and I don't know if you need any specific apps for your course. It's definitely been through some wear and tear. The cover slides on loose and a couple of key symbols have worn off. Still works well though, I last used it for my Physic course last Fall.

Anyway, what I would be willing to do is just drop it in bubble mailer and mail it to you for the duration of your course, as long as you return it whenever the course is over. It can't cost more than a few bucks to mail, I would think.

Otherwise, if you looking for something more permanent to have, you can get one from eBay from pretty cheap. I think they run anywhere $20-40. And I would suspect a influx calculators in a few weeks (after finals of most schools), which might keep the price towards the lower end.[/quote]

I may take you up on that offer. The class doesn't start until May 26, so I have a bit of time to try and locate a permanent one, but if I can't find one I will let you know. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I'm in a stats class right now. You don't really have to have a graphing calculator, very few people in my class have one. May make it easier, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

[quote name='JolietJake']I'm in a stats class right now. You don't really have to have a graphing calculator, very few people in my class have one.[/quote]

Really? Is it high school or college level? The course description for the class I am going to take says that a TI-83/84 calculator is required.

What kind of stats class is it? Just an intro course?

I took an intro experimental stats course as part of my major and I have to agree that I really didn't need my TI-83, although it was useful. Of course, our EXST course is known to be somewhat easy, so ymmv.

I have a TI-83+ that I can sell to you. Used it a couple times in High School but yea no real damage or any signs of use. :lol:

Upgrading to a TI-89 for college.

It is just the intro to stats course. It's a required course for my major (exercise science/sports medicine) and as far as I know, its the only stats course I need to take for that major.

PM's sent

I appreciate everyone's help with this.

Well like i said, a graphing calculator probably isn't necessary, hardly anyone in my class has one. Unless the professor specifically says you have to have one, i'd wait.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']Really? Is it high school or college level? The course description for the class I am going to take says that a TI-83/84 calculator is required.[/quote]

You will need one, the TI-83 does the Chi Squared and standard deviation calculations for you and im betting it does much much more.

[quote name='help1']You will need one, the TI-83 does the Chi Squared and standard deviation calculations for you and im betting it does much much more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I could see it being needed for that. We learned how to do it by hand (via the formulas) so we would, I guess, know where it came from. TI-83 will also do Z-tests, T-tests, 2-sample T- and Z- tests, and ANOVA. Though once again, we learned the formulas and did it by hand. Though I occasionally I would check my answers to make sure. I would think some tests would require you to input sample data if needed, which I would assume would be cumbersome to do by hand, unless there's a program that allows you to upload data sheets.

What is also nice is that the TI-83 makes financial functions (PV, FV, PMT, etc) super easy. I've had this thing for almost 10 years now and I still use it to this day.

No, don't have an iPhone. It is incredible all the stuff those things can do though. I have a few current offers lined up, so hopefully one of them will come through.

[quote name='Malik112099']if you have an iphone you can just download a graphing calc app for a few bucks[/quote]

I have never met a professor that has allowed anybody to use their phone as a calculator

Anyways your best bet is ebay like people have said most high school kids just steal them and sell them on ebay its only like $20 and it will make your life so much easier than not having a graphing calculator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back