Tiger Woods 10 - Club & Disc Golf w/Motion+ (Upd: get it!)

I'm having trouble with drawing the ball each swing. I can't swing hard because that means I'll draw the shot, but I can't swing too slow or I won't get any power. This stinks.

I tried All-Play, and while very fun, it's too easy. I need a mode in the middle between A-P and Standard. Exactly how hard do I have to swing?

[quote name='lilboo']Is there putt putt in this game? :cool:[/QUOTE]

Last year there was a putting mini-game with holes. The furthest away holes garnered the most points. It wasn't quite like putt-putt though. I haven't played the party games this year to see if there's something closer.

Picked up a copy from Best Buy tonight with the MotionPlus bundle for $38.48 after $15 in Reward Zone certificates and a $10 gift card.

[quote name='ZForce'] I don't want to buy a second WM+ until Wii Sports 2 comes out.[/QUOTE]

I agree with ya about the second motionplus. I plan to buy the Sports Resort bundle when it comes out (on my birthday July 26th...yeah I feel special..lol)

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Last year there was a putting mini-game with holes. The furthest away holes garnered the most points. It wasn't quite like putt-putt though. I haven't played the party games this year to see if there's something closer.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is in Tiger Woods 10, but it isn't putt putt and I didn't find it any fun at all. It's too hard. Your first "putt putt" hole shouldn't have you hitting and rehitting over and over to get it in the hole. It sucks.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I'm having trouble with drawing the ball each swing. I can't swing hard because that means I'll draw the shot, but I can't swing too slow or I won't get any power. This stinks.[/QUOTE]

I think that means it's being realistic. You've got to perfect your swing in order to make a good, hard shot. Or just don't try to hit 100%. You aren't Tiger Woods after all. :)

I have to get rid of this game. The real swing that is required for 100% in driving the ball SERIOUSLY hurts my left arm. It hurt for several days afterwards too. I've tried different ways and swings to get 100%, but it really does require a genuine swing and follow-through., and its hurting my arm. The game is incredibly fun and accurate, so I'm super disappointed.

The disc golf is just a gimmicky demo. Sure you get to throw a disc and its fun for a few minutes, but the disc putting is useless as your hand obscures the basket, and you have no sense of depth to the basket. Also, disc golf course are dramatically different beasts than ball golf courses. A ball golf course for disc golf is useless and unchallenging.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I'm having trouble with drawing the ball each swing. I can't swing hard because that means I'll draw the shot, but I can't swing too slow or I won't get any power. This stinks.

I tried All-Play, and while very fun, it's too easy. I need a mode in the middle between A-P and Standard. Exactly how hard do I have to swing?

[/QUOTE]

Golf is not about how "hard" you swing. You'll generate more power and be more accurate taking nice even full strokes. It's not about trying to power the ball down the fairway; a larger arc in your swing produces a faster club-head speed and that is where the power/distance comes from.

As a side note this game is pretty damn sweet in my opinion and I usually don't enjoy sports games. The motion plus feels much better than I had expected it to. (I lowered my expectations because I feel like I've been burned too many times by Nintendo)

Speaking as someone who grew up playing competitive golf: don't expect your golf swing mechanics (if you have proper ones) to directly translate over to this. After a couple of rounds I started realizing that the grip to hold the remote isn't exactly the best or most comfortable for a golf swing. In real life I was a 6-8 handicap with no movement or a slight fade at best. In this game my natural swing produces a massive duck hook.

I am a little disappointed with it. Not sure what I was expecting when I bought it, but I was thinking I could just pick up the remote and make my regular golf swing as opposed to doing some gimmicky crap to make the ball go straight like every other game. I may end up keeping the motion add on, but I think this game will be short lived for me.

The disc golf isn't "gimmicky", just incomplete. I don't have any problems with my hand obscuring the view either. I agree what we need are courses actually designed for it, though. Probably best served in a disc golf specific game, rather then as part of Tiger Woods. Still it is fun here anyway. Just could be a lot more then what is provided.

I can't comment on how a real golf swing translates here, but I'm wondering if it's possible to directly translate a swing like that - when you get a new set of golf clubs isn't there an adjustment period? And here you are switching to a Wii remote. Quite a change. Maybe you should try taping the remote to your golf club. Just make sure you've got plenty of room. ;) No, I don't really suggest doing that. :) Maybe it isn't as realistic as it seems to us. It is the first such M+ game, so it wouldn't be a shock if they didn't get it exactly right yet.

Also, taking a practice swing is very hard to do, holding the A AND B buttons. You grip the remote awkwardly, and it doesn't translate to a normal swing.

I'm not having any problem with the practice swing mechanic - perhaps this is a matter of size of your hands, though. They should have done it like they have it in the disc golf - a toggle - as that would avoid the issue.

Tonight was really the first time I've been able to put a significant amount of time into the game, actually. Boy do I stink. :) With All-Play mode on, though, I do much better and I'm really glad they have that option. I started a career and spent too much time designing my golfer, but definitely enjoy seeing my pot-bellied, broken teeth guy in the game. :) My first tournament (without All-Play on) I ended up in last and 20+ strokes behind. Now I'm in my second tournament, this time with All-Play on, and not doing too bad, currently at -2 and tied for 8th.

This is definitely a fun game.

Wow want to pick this up for the Father in law... I should have made the drive to TRU yesterday before my $10 coupon exipred. (general TRU coupon not T Woods 2010 specific, fyi).

i got the game yesterday with the Target $20 GC, and while I had fun, boy do I suck.

Played the career mode, and shot a 99 at Bethpage Black. :lol:

I had fun though. I needs more practice.

[quote name='crunchewy']The disc golf will also definitely be fun for parties, and the game will fit the bill until we get Wii Sports Resort, which now I am uber psyched about. Also, one thing is absolutely, positively clear: we need Mario Disc Golf![/quote]

Heh, what was clear to me was that we need EA Ultimate Frisbee 2010

[quote name='crunchewy']EDIT: the Wii MotionPlus comes with a somewhat daunting looking set of instructions on how to connect the remote, how to connect a nunchuck or other attachment, how to disconnect any attachment and how to remove the remote. There's also a funky little accessory port plug gizmo that I haven't tried to fiddle with yet, but the instructions make it look like it will be a bit of a nuisance. Also the instructions say not to take the Wii MotionPlus device out of the remote skin. I'm sure you can do it if you really want to, though it isn't immediately obvious how you do it aside from tearing it apart. I don't think I would bother even if it were easy (and maybe it is and I just didn't see how), but there you go.[/quote]

It's pretty easy to take the wm+ out of the skin, I just peeled the skin back. It's still in one piece.
I also don't think it's that hard to plug the wm+ into the wiimote... sometimes the instructions just complicate things

Yeah, the instructions do complicate it. I did end up removing the skin and do prefer it that way. You can put it back on - it isn't actually attached to it.

EXStrike - try AllPlay mode. That definitely makes it easier.

I agree that proper golf swing mechanics are really not the way to go with this game - same as proper tennis mechanics really don't work in GST. The responsiveness and sensitivity are dead on and do translate your movements perfectly. The biggest problem I had to deal with was the fact that the backswing is completely irrelevant to the strength of your swing. It all depends on the velocity of your forward swing. This was a pretty lame way of simulating swing power and they definitely could've fixed that to be more true to real golf. It should have been a function of both of those factors together. Precision putting falls victim to this problem as well. That said, it does promote proper course management and is something I've mostly adjusted to.

[quote name='manlai']I agree that proper golf swing mechanics are really not the way to go with this game - same as proper tennis mechanics really don't work in GST. The responsiveness and sensitivity are dead on and do translate your movements perfectly. The biggest problem I had to deal with was the fact that the backswing is completely irrelevant to the strength of your swing. It all depends on the velocity of your forward swing. This was a pretty lame way of simulating swing power and they definitely could've fixed that to be more true to real golf. It should have been a function of both of those factors together. Precision putting falls victim to this problem as well. That said, it does promote proper course management and is something I've mostly adjusted to.[/QUOTE]

I'm struggling to understand the concept of the backswing being relevant to the end product: hitting the ball, which seems to me is entirely a matter of how fast and what direction the club is moving when it hits the ball. I can see that doing a backswing would allow you to more consistently have a good forward swing, especially the flicking aspect of it, but I really don't see how or why your backswing itself should factor into what happens once the ball is hit. If you could start your swing with your arm already back and only do a forward swing and hit the ball well, then you hit the ball well. The backswing, I believe, is just a means to an end, not the end itself.

Of course I could be entirely wrong, but if so I don't understand. :)

I bought this game online from Gamestop on Friday and wasn't expecting to get until late this week. However, it got delivered to my house yesterday (woohoo!), and I was able to play disc golf with my wife, which was awesome. I also tried some golf, and I know that it's going to be a blast to play this game as I get more familiar with the play mechanics. I did create my own golfer, which was a pretty interesting experience, and I'm definitely going to do more golfing tonight.

Finally got this in last night and spent a couple of hours with it. I can't say I've played any of the previous Tiger Woods, so I have a fresh look on the series. Content wise, the game has plenty of modes to keep you entertained.

Motion+ certainly delivers as promise providing accurate 1 to 1 mapping of movements and motion. If you tend to have a slice in real life, it will reflect that slice in Tiger Woods 10. Additionally, putting is much more accurate than WiiSports and it is much easier to make small, precise putts.

I'm sure most of you will need more than one Motion+, so if you like Golf at all I would recommend picking up the bundle.

I was able to play 9 holes last night, and I just love the game more and more as I spend more time with it.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I can't do this swing consistently at all.
Are there any videos showing how I should swing?[/QUOTE]

I'm still getting used to swinging the differenct clubs myself. If you're using a driver, then you need to use a full backswing and follow-through to get 100%. I think the speed at which swing the remote at the point that it makes contact with the ball affects things as well. Personally, I'm still trying to figure out how to consistently get various levels of sub-100% swings.

On a different note, I just want to say that I love this game. I created my own golfer, and I've been progressing through the tour challenges. I've completed all the easy challenges and about half the intermediate challenges. Last night, my brother came over and played the game for the first time. We played against each other on Banff Springs. I used by created golfer, and he used Tiger Woods. I eagled 3 times in the first 9 holes due to being able to hit some pretty long putts (both played on standard). The game definitely gives you a sense of satisfaction when you play a good hole/round/course etc. There's also an addictive quality to the game even when you're not playing well (gotta try one more time...). In short, this game is the first game on the Wii that I eagerly look forward to playing every day.

it's pretty annoying when you're playing a 2 round tourney and you obliterate the field in the 1st round, only to see everyone come back and put up ungodly numbers in the 2nd round just to keep it from being too easy for you. More often than not it causes me to lose

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Would anyone like to play online?[/QUOTE]

I conked out early last night, or I'd have taken you up on it. How about later tonight? I can't play too late, though and I'm pretty lousy - you have to patient for a lot of miss-shots. :) How about around 10 PM tonight (eastern)?

How do you play online with a certain person in this game? It doesn't work like other Wii games. Is there a friend code somewhere or does it forgo that?

[quote name='crunchewy']I conked out early last night, or I'd have taken you up on it. How about later tonight? I can't play too late, though and I'm pretty lousy - you have to patient for a lot of miss-shots. :) How about around 10 PM tonight (eastern)?

How do you play online with a certain person in this game? It doesn't work like other Wii games. Is there a friend code somewhere or does it forgo that?[/QUOTE]

All EA Wii titles use the same tag. Mine is SuperPhillip.
10 PM is a little late. Is 8 EST okay?

I haven't played online yet so I don't know the particulars of adding and joining.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']All EA Wii titles use the same tag. Mine is SuperPhillip.
10 PM is a little late. Is 8 EST okay?

I haven't played online yet so I don't know the particulars of adding and joining.[/QUOTE]

Ah - sorry, we got in late and then we had to get our kids to bed. We only just got them to bed now. Playing at 8 isn't usually going to be an option for me as a result. Sometimes I could play starting at 9 or close to it, though.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Check out my review if you want to read up to get yourself psyched.[/QUOTE]

Already read it soon after you posted it. I didn't need any more convincing, but if I did, that would have helped sell me.

I just wrote up some sloppily put together impressions for the other board I go to. Since I'm lazy, I shall do the copy-pasta:

[quote name=' me at another board']I am not really a golf fan. I've never played anything but mini-golf, and watching it on TV is boring to me. But, since the 2005 edition, I have been a fan of the Tiger Woods series. My friend (and later roommate) Jake got me hooked on that game when he and his then-wife would have a group of us over to watch wrestling pay per views and drink beer. We'd always jump on Tiger afterwards, and it was a blast.

Not long after that, I got my own Xbox which came with the Tiger/NCAA '05 bundle. That edition was still my favorite, after '06 didn't offer much innovation, and '07 (at least on the 360) fucked up the gameplay. Although I have played all versions since 2005, '10 is the first I have bought since '07.

I completely suck at the game, going +15 on Banff Springs in my first try at going 18 holes. A lot of that was due to missed putts with the "Precision Putting" system. After I switched to classic on hole 15, putting became much easier.But after spending a couple hours doing the tutorials, playing 18 holes, and then creating myself for career mode, I can safely say I am hooked. Wii Sports golf was a huge disappointment, but this game- with the Wii Motion Plus, that is- is everything that game should have been, times a million.

I cannot recommend this game enough, and that's with me only doing the "Play Now" mode and having very little skill. I imagine that my appreciation of the game will grow once I gain some skill. That, and I can't wait to try multiplayer. As an EA Sports game, you simply sign in using the same account you would for other EA Sports games. No friend codes required.[/quote]

Halfway through the first day of my first tournament with my created guy, and I'm +15. Standard is too hard for me, so I'm switching to All-Play... for now. I hope it's not too easy.

That first course is brutal. I think I ended up with something like +17 on my initial play. However, as you get used to the controls and the stats on your golfer improve slightly, you should see you score becoming much lower. Now, I shoot around -7 to -10 depending on the course so things do improve.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']That first course is brutal. I think I ended up with something like +17 on my initial play. However, as you get used to the controls and the stats on your golfer improve slightly, you should see you score becoming much lower. Now, I shoot around -7 to -10 depending on the course so things do improve.[/QUOTE]

Upon the suggestion of the GameFAQs forums (crazy, I know), I decided to play the challenges first to level up my golfer before I delve into the PGA Tour career. It seems to be working fairly well. But some of the Hard level challenges are hard even on All-Play.

Speaking of Al-Play, it is waaaaaaaaaaay too easy. It's basically impossible to miss in most cases. But the good thing about Standard being difficult is that I never feel like the game is screwing me over. I know it's because I'm a golf neophyte and I need to practice my swings.

Note that on Standard the game doesn't pay attention to rotation for "controlling" hook/slice (or for producing accidental hook/slice). You only get that in Advanced mode. I wish there were a level between standard and advanced, such that you get the hook/slice, but can still, for example, get a putt preview.

Hmm... well, I could be confused. I saw pointer-based adjustments for draw and fade in standard mode and every swing seemed to end up straight regardless. I switched to advanced as a result. Maybe I wasn't really in "standard"? I'll have to try again. Alas I won't be able to until this weekend....

[quote name='crunchewy']Hmm... well, I could be confused. I saw pointer-based adjustments for draw and fade in standard mode and every swing seemed to end up straight regardless. I switched to advanced as a result. Maybe I wasn't really in "standard"? I'll have to try again. Alas I won't be able to until this weekend....[/QUOTE]

Your swing must be pretty consistently straight then because I tend to hook my shots consistently on standard and have to really focus to keep by drives straight...

If you are playing with more than one person can you just pass the one controller around with the motion plus thingy or does each persons controller need its own?

[quote name='ajh2298']If you are playing with more than one person can you just pass the one controller around with the motion plus thingy or does each persons controller need its own?[/QUOTE]

You can pass it around except in Golf Party mode. :bouncy:

[quote name='crunchewy']Hmm... well, I could be confused. I saw pointer-based adjustments for draw and fade in standard mode and every swing seemed to end up straight regardless. I switched to advanced as a result. Maybe I wasn't really in "standard"? I'll have to try again. Alas I won't be able to until this weekend....[/QUOTE]

I believe in "normal" mode, you can use the Wii Motion+ to draw/fade, or use the pointer controls to "manually" create one.

bread's done
Back