Timbuk2 Messenger Bags - Deals and Opinions

JustYourAverageJoe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market for a good messenger bag, as the cloth ones I've gotten before just aren't quite enough for me anymore, either with a lack of weather-resistance, size or comfort. Since I'm now doing more biking on a daily basis, it's become extremely important I get something that will hold up to rain or snow and not get my books/papers/gadgets wet. I also need something more comfortable to wear. Most bags I've kept at my hip, but that doesn't work out well whilst biking. And I need something that's spacious enough to hold a tablet/netbook, a couple textbooks, notebooks, and various gadgets and miscellany.

I've been looking at Timbuk2 bags, and they seem to meet all of my criteria. But it's proving difficult to find any reviews of them (as in, not Amazon user reviews, but a regular review.) So my question's twofold: what's the best place to get Timbuk2 bags on the cheap, and what is your opinion of them if you've owned/used them? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Someone in this thread mentioned steepandcheap, anyone have experience with them?

tl;dr I need a cheap Timbuk2 bag, where do I get it, and what did you think?

I don't have experience with Timbuk2 bags but I just bought a Kenneth Cole Reaction branded one for $56 @ amazon. I know this wouldn't fit what you're looking for with it being leather and all but if you sign up for Amazon Clothing email deals they'll send you a coupon for 20% off of clothing; messenger bags fall under that category for some reason.

The Timbuk2's are alright...but take a look at Keen bags (which show up at Marshall's stores frequently) or Crumpler first. You'll pay a little more for Crumpler, but they'll last longer than Timbuk2.

I've found Timbuk2 bags at REI for pretty cheap. So, if you're still looking for them, try this link.
http://www.rei.com/search?query=timbuk2
You can also try REI outlet also. And if you do some digging, you could also probably find some REI coupon codes.
I've got a Timbuk2 backpack and bag and they've not done me wrong for the 3 or 4 years I've had them.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'll be looking into TUMI and Crumpler.

[quote name='Ed_']I don't have experience with Timbuk2 bags but I just bought a Kenneth Cole Reaction branded one for $56 @ amazon. I know this wouldn't fit what you're looking for with it being leather and all but if you sign up for Amazon Clothing email deals they'll send you a coupon for 20% off of clothing; messenger bags fall under that category for some reason.[/QUOTE]
Thanks a bunch dude, I hadn't seen that. You just saved me a nice chunk of change. :)

I'd say go with Crumpler but if you want a Timbuk, check out TJ Maxx (or Marshalls or the equivalent). I got a Timbuk for

I have 8 Timbuk 2 bags. 1 backpack, 2 medium messengers, 1 xtra-small messenger, 3 luggage bags and 1 tote. The quality if fantastic. Lifetime warranty so if anything fails, they will replace it. Right now Timbuk2.com has a 35% off sale going on through 9/5. A medium fits a 13" macbook pro if you need a point of reference. http://www.timbuk2.com

A competitor that I was also looking at is http://www.rickshawbags.com. Can't vouch for their quality though.

Tumi had a pretty good sale some time ago. I bough a couple of murses and the build quality is great. I can only imagine that their messenger bags are just as good.

Tumi looked nice, but they're too far out of my price range. I'm trying to stay under $100, preferably under $75. That's the only reason I'm not grabbing a custom Timbuk2 messenger from their site (since I can get one from Amazon for half that price.)

Thanks for the tip about TJ Maxx/Marshall's. It's worth taking a look.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Thanks for the tip about TJ Maxx/Marshall's. It's worth taking a look.[/QUOTE]

It really is worth a trip. I got my Keen messenger at Marshall's for $30. Best damned bag I've ever had...Also got my current carry-on there - A Delsey 2.0, for $65. It may take a few trips, but it will be worth it.

The Keen is an older model of this (I bought it over a year ago) http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/fw11/bags/unisex/lifestyle/harrison 15 messenger/black

Just a quick update. I spent days waffling on what Timbuk2 bag to get since neither the Classic nor the D-Lux seemed to be just what I wanted (and the D-Lux was stretching my budget, since the Amazon code didn't work on it.) I ended up going for an Osprey Elroy messenegr bag I saw on SteepandCheap. It looked to have some more storage (on the sides, for water bottles or the like), be more weatherproof, and a few other things. It was cheaper than a Timbuk2 as well, so hopefully it arrives soon and I'll see how it is.

In the meantime though, if anyone has any suggestions for a sharp looking leather or leather-lookalike messenger bag, I'd love to hear them. Again, sub-$100, preferably around $50 or less. The more business-appropriate, the better.

Thanks!

This is the one I posted about originally :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000VZ8ZO2/ref=aw_d_var_2nd_apparel_img?qid=1316819255&vs=1&sr=8-1

I use it on weekdays to and from work. I carry my iPad, a notepad, two pens, and other essentials. One of the front pockets has a pocket for cell phones. Most sites wouldn't tell you what type it fits but I'm happy to say it holds my iPhone 4, otter box commuter and all. I highly recommend this one in black :cool:

bread's done
Back