Tipping etiquette question (for bars, etc).

[quote name='mykevermin']The *few* problematic customers? Sheeeit, boyo, again I must state, you have no idea[/QUOTE]

Well, then enlighten me. So far, everything you've complained about is no different than any other job I had. The people who have you running through a store on a veritable scavenger hunt, becaues they can't find it, or look at the signs on the aisles. The people who bring 10 different pieces of clothing to the changing room, buy nothing and come back to do the same thing 5 times. The people who will argue on end that I'm scamming them out of $3 in late fees on the video that they kept 5 days after it was due. There are many more!

The point I'm making is that every job has its ups and downs, especially those that require no specific education or certification, and I wanted to point out that from what you're describing, servers just don't have that much harder than many other jobs out there.

[quote name='mykevermin']when the hell did you become a "get a job, you bum" Republican?[/QUOTE]
I've never revealed any sort of political affiliation that I may have. I think you, of all people, would recognize the freedom of ambiguity that it affords me.

Some people here would love the middle east. I know in some countries it is an insult to tip. Basically what a tip means is "here's some money, go find a job you're good at". If you're in a big city they'd probably be used to it with foreign tourists though.

The people who bring 10 different pieces of clothing to the changing room, buy nothing and come back to do the same thing 5 times.

I never cared when I worked retail. But that pisses off employees? They must hate me, as I buy probably 10% of what I try on.

Though I got a question, what about tipping at coffee shops? Usually I just buy a coffee and ignore the tip jar.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Though I got a question, what about tipping at coffee shops? Usually I just buy a coffee and ignore the tip jar.[/QUOTE]
THey have to find some way to pay off loans for their degrees in art history, don't they?

I never cared when I worked retail. But that pisses off employees? They must hate me, as I buy probably 10% of what I try on.
It can be quite annoying, because on a busy day, that clothing piles up quickly, and it all has to be folded and back out on the floor.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']
It can be quite annoying, because on a busy day, that clothing piles up quickly, and it all has to be folded and back out on the floor.[/QUOTE]

I guess. It used to piss me off when they'd leave them in the dressing rooms but I didn't really care that much as long as they put them on the racks just outside the rooms. Though I preferred them to leave them at the service counter.

I once tipped a taxi driver 55 cents :applause:

[quote name='2poor']same here

does anyone know how much should you tip a taxi driver?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Minimum wage in MA is higher than ontario. Though its been getting very close lately with the rising canadian dollar, and u.s. states that stick with the federal minimum wage are lower now than any canadian province. Then again, goods in canada often don't reflect the rising dollar as much (though they have come down somewhat), so it evens out. It was about 65 cents on the dollar a few years ago, low to high 70's when I was there and now its in the high 80's.

But if you get tips or work on commission the base salary is often much lower. If for some reason your commission or tips don't average out to the minimum wage (or whatever salary the company pegs the minimum at) then they give you the difference. I'm not sure what time period it is though, I think at sears it was every paycheck (which was once every two weeks) but I'm not certain. Sears paid about half the minimum wage to commissioned workers when I was there.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

I think that I'm an ok tipper. I usually tip between 15-20%, and over 20% if I thought the server did better than average.

That being said, I would prefer Mr. Pink's view of this situation. I don't agree that severs should automatically expect money from a bill. They are just doing their jobs.

Someone said that they didn't get tips at their Taco place job. Then JimmieMac told them to get a job that tips. Well, why don't servers get a higher paying job if they don't like making $2.48 an hour? It's their choice to work there. And by law, it's required that they make at least minimum wage, which means that if they don't make that in tips, then the restaurant has to make up the difference.

I just don't see why we have to pay for food and then pay again. Most restaurants over price their food anyway. Why don't they just pay their servers more instead of having the customer pay them? If the restaurants can't afford that, then charge more for the food.

I just get sick of hearing servers complain that they didn't receive the tip they wanted and such, and they don't even think that it's their fault. If you didn't receive a good tip, then be a better server! Feel lucky that you have a job that is deemed tip-worthy. And if you still complain, then get a new fucking job!

[quote name='Mike23']People seriously make like 2.38 an hour?

Here, the minimum wage for a server/hostess/dishwasher/kitchen staff is $7, and that doesn't take into account tips (typically 15%+)

What a difference a border makes, eh?[/QUOTE]

Then why is it that all Canadians are cheap fucks when the come over here? I usually get an average of 8% from them, but they all tend to be very nice so it's hard to hate them.

The US is pretty much the only place where you are expected to tip. Europe you don't at all....Japan and asia nope...australia you can I believe if you feel the service deserved it.

[quote name='daschrier']The US is pretty much the only place where you are expected to tip. Europe you don't at all....Japan and asia nope...australia you can I believe if you feel the service deserved it.[/QUOTE]

Not in the land of Oz. I tried that when I was in Syndey and I almost died from the eye daggers the bartender was throwin' at me. :lol:

I always start at 15% on the total bill tax included. I have tipped as low as 10% and as high as 30%. Lately most of my tips are around 20% with the change to round it up. I usually tip based first on the service, and 2nd the attitude of the waiter/waitress.

I worked in restaurants for 6 years. I was a dishwasher, food prep, cook, bus boy, bar back, waiter, bartender, shift manager, and restaurant manager at a variety of different establishments. I do not believe in the haveing to tip thing that has been written by several different people. I spent most of my time as a bus boy and bar back, and there was always a couple that either would not tip anything compared to what they got, and some on different occasions even left without tipping. One can say it is because I wasn't good, but that is not the case according to the mangers, and other waitstaff members. I feel 15% is where one should start with there tip. I don't need to have the waiter/waitress constantly working on me to get the 20% tip. They need to be somewhat pleasant in order to get the 20% ++ tips from me. You had a tough day/night before, I really don't care, you are in the service industry, put a fucking smile on and do your job. It really isn't that hard to smile, and be somewhat nice when taking an order. Yes you do get pain in the ass customers, shit happens, when you work in the service industy, that is what you get paid, and tipped to do. Deal with them and have a smile

I tip based on service..nothing more, nothing less. I dont tip a set percent. I dont wanna hear the "what people dont realize" shit either. We dont tell you to get a job that pays shit and you depend on tips so fuck that excuse.

[quote name='Xevious']What about a haircut from a barber shop? Does the 15%/20% rule apply?[/QUOTE]

See the problem with a barbershop IMO is that they are all different. Some get paid hourly + tips. Some have to pay per week to have that spot in the barber shop. They keep whatever they make, subtract the price to rent that chair. Some people own the barber shop. I normally just tip $2. If its my normal barber I give him $3. Its a small barber shop, I think him and the other 2 barbers co-own it.

[quote name='CitizenB']Cheapy what is this about no tipping in Japan. Why is that? I bought some chopsticks from a nice Japanese looking lady in the mall and my change was .14 cents. I didn't want the change and it took me forever for her to take it. I was stuffed full of presents and I didn't feel like setting them down. Is it a shame thing?[/quote]I believe its considered rude to tip in Japan.
I'm not too sure why though, I can ask my Japanese teacher on Monday if Cheapy hasn't popped back in and answered your question by then.

bread's done
Back