Tips for buying a New Car....

[quote name='perdition(troy']And I went with the complete 360 again LOL. Back to the 2013 Forester, all weather plus package (heated seats, mirros and blah blah blah) and was quoted 23,800 off the lot, taxes and fees included. Saved 2 grand just calling another dealer.[/QUOTE]
LOLZ...and here I was thinking that the original offer was based on already shopping around.

[quote name='Clak']I don't know if anyone here saw it, but 20/20 had a thing on about Carfax over the weekend. Basically that they miss a pretty fair amount of stuff.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. As long as you don't report an accident to insurance, it'll never show up. Even then, it can screw up. Carfax, and the other one, are good to have, but it's no substitute for knowing what to look for on your own or paying a mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. Carfax is more of a selling tool nowadays especially with it not always being completely accurate. Hell, my first/current car was in an accident before I bought it and it never showed up on Carfax or the other one, but I was dumb and didn't know what kind of stuff to look for. Still got a decent deal on it though.:lol:

Reading this thread I'm just wondering if anyone here owns an iMiev? How is it? Does it live up to the miles to the charge it says or is there another electric car that is actually higher in real world road conditions?

[quote name='perdition(troy']confoosious if you check this I'm going to pm you everything that I dealt with, and the options and end price of the vehicle.[/QUOTE]

please do.

Do you think you got a better deal because they were trying to move the 2013?

[quote name='Sarang01']Reading this thread I'm just wondering if anyone here owns an iMiev? How is it? Does it live up to the miles to the charge it says or is there another electric car that is actually higher in real world road conditions?[/QUOTE]

Tesla S

I have several issues with the whole process.

So frustrating.

1. The internet price on the dealer's web page never matches what the price in the show room is. (You
get there and they quote you the MSRP and then start taking rebates off of that).

2. Going to the Nissan page I can "build" a basic model S+ 2013 Nissan Versa for $14,5 (including delivery charge). Does that car exist anywhere? No, all the ones at the dealers have the extras like lighted trim and what not already included.

3. Our credit union is only offering us a 5% (will match 2.5%) interest rate for the loan. The dealers might give us a 0.9 or 1.x% rate, but who knows if we qualify and what hidden strings are attached.

For any of you Subaru-heads, did you get in on the VIP program? I'm debating whether or not to get a BRZ. With 2.9 APR and the last auto Black Limited in 100 miles, I'm VERY tempted at $27k, which is basically invoice after destination. VIP program would take me 2% under invoice.

[quote name='eldergamer']I have several issues with the whole process.

So frustrating.

1. The internet price on the dealer's web page never matches what the price in the show room is. (You
get there and they quote you the MSRP and then start taking rebates off of that).

2. Going to the Nissan page I can "build" a basic model S+ 2013 Nissan Versa for $14,5 (including delivery charge). Does that car exist anywhere? No, all the ones at the dealers have the extras like lighted trim and what not already included.

3. Our credit union is only offering us a 5% (will match 2.5%) interest rate for the loan. The dealers might give us a 0.9 or 1.x% rate, but who knows if we qualify and what hidden strings are attached.[/QUOTE]
You'll need to special order the Versa at a dealership. You should be able to find at least one place that'll do it for you. Those special finance rates only require you to have a FICO score of 700 or more, but some have limited terms like only being for 24 or 36 months financing. Some manufacturers have an even better rate for scores over 720-750.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually got a 2007 Nissan Versa SL, really been happy with it. When I bought it (used) the price on the car was around $16k. So after looking at the exact car, I left the dealership and later that night went to the dealer's website and found the exact same car listed for around $11k, big difference in price.

Definitely pays to check the website.

Going to test drive the 2013 Nissan Versa SL (or S+ with CVT) then the Toyota Yaris, then Chevy Sonic. Possibly the Honda Fit. Then go back and pick one out and sign the pwpers. Hopefully.

All depends how helpfull the dealerships are (I really don't expect them to negotiate the price any or at all on a sub $20k car.)

Plan on making a $7000 down payment and then just financing the rest. Can afford a $150-$200 monthly payment. can easily pay that off in under 5 years.

[quote name='eldergamer']Going to test drive the 2013 Nissan Versa SL (or S+ with CVT) then the Toyota Yaris, then Chevy Sonic. Possibly the Honda Fit. Then go back and pick one out and sign the pwpers. Hopefully.

All depends how helpfull the dealerships are (I really don't expect them to negotiate the price any or at all on a sub $20k car.)

Plan on making a $7000 down payment and then just financing the rest. Can afford a $150-$200 monthly payment. can easily pay that off in under 5 years.[/QUOTE]

I've driven all of those cars. I rent a lot. The Honda Fit is easily the best. The yaris with that center console is the worst.

I tried the Yaris too, didn't care for it. The Versa felt like it had more interior space. I don't know if that includes the navigation package or not, but I wouldn't bother. Mine doesn't have the nav but my friend's Sentra does, its not that great, I'd rather have a Garmin stuck to the window.

[quote name='confoosious']I've driven all of those cars. I rent a lot. The Honda Fit is easily the best. The yaris with that center console is the worst.[/QUOTE]
Have to agree here. Fit is pretty fun to drive too...or at least the Fit Sport is.:lol:

But only the Versa has the CVT transmission. Up to 40 MPG! The salesman went on and on about it. How only the Versa has version 3, and everyone else was copying Nissan and adding it to their cars, etc, etc.

Don't really need 'space' have the minivan for that. This is really just a commuting type car. MPG is the #1 priority for us right now.

But only the Versa has the CVT transmission. Up to 40 MPG! The salesman went on and on about it. How only the Versa has version 3, and everyone else was copying Nissan and adding it to their cars, etc, etc.

Don't really need 'space' have the minivan for that. This is really just a commuting type car. MPG is the #1 priority for us right now.

[quote name='eldergamer']But only the Versa has the CVT transmission. Up to 40 MPG! The salesman went on and on about it. How only the Versa has version 3, and everyone else was copying Nissan and adding it to their cars, etc, etc.

Don't really need 'space' have the minivan for that. This is really just a commuting type car. MPG is the #1 priority for us right now.[/QUOTE]
CVT feels kinda weird a t first, takes a little getting used to. Hope I never have to have the tranny worked on. If you were told the car would get 40 mpg you were being bullshitted.

And we ended up buying......

A 2013 Kia Rio ! (?)

The wife checked things over on consumer reports and the Versa wasn't that recomended, so it went further down the list.
We test drove 4 or 5 cars yesterday.
1. Chevy Sonic (our #2 choice)
2. Mazda 2 and 3. (the Mazda 2 didnt have much power, and the Mazda 3 was 2,000 more than we wanted to spend. Salesman was a douche)
3. Honda Fit (nice but nothing special. no extra's. basic model.)
4. Kia Rio. (nice. came with a convience package, bluetooth and back up camera)

Was torn between the Sonic and Rio. Both were priced about the same, and were the same cars comparatively.
Ended up going with the Rio, paid dealer price and then got $500 customer loyality incentive and $750 recent college grad incentive.

All, and all a pretty nice car for a decent price. Could have saved a couple thousand more if they wife didnt have to have cruise control, or I could learn to drive a manual but Cea Sera, Sera.

Welp. Totally didn't expect to be buying a new car today, but I did. 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited for $31.5 OTD. Came out to about $215 under invoice before options(wheel locks and auto-dim mirror), TTL, doc fee, and extended Subaru Gold Plus(bumper to bumper) 7yr/100k mile warranty. There were 10 miles on the odo before I took it on a test drive and chances are good that I was the first customer to drive it too.:lol:

Negotiations only took about 20 minutes, F&I took about 20 minutes, but prepping the car took about 4 hours because they couldn't figure out how to open the trunk. Turns out that there's a button you need to press inside the trunk to allow the remote and cockpit buttons to open it. Needless to say, the dealership didn't get many BRZ's to begin with because they also couldn't find the front license plate bracket until I went into the service bays and found it in the car myself, which also happened to be inside the trunk.:rofl:

I actually got pissed when they said that I'd have to get one on my own when every car in MA comes with it especially since front plates are required by law. They also forgot my wheel locks, but that's no biggie because I have to bring the title to my trade-in on Tuesday anyways.

I initially offered about $29.5k OTD with no warranty which gave them about 2% profit on actual dealer cost of the car(invoice minus all hold-backs, $1419 in this case) and they came back with $31.6k OTD. I managed to work the extended warranty in($2k+ msrp and sells for about $1400 with another dealer in the state) and they still ended up with 4-5% profit on dealer cost on the car and under invoice. Go me!

The brz is a slick car and that's a pretty nice deal you got on it as well. You'll love it!

Also the trunk situation is hilarious I woke my wife up because I laughed. The auto dim mirrors are pretty sweet.

[quote name='dohdough']Welp. Totally didn't expect to be buying a new car today, but I did. 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited for $31.5 OTD.[/QUOTE]

Take some pics of that bad boy and post in the auto thread!:)

[quote name='perdition(troy']The brz is a slick car and that's a pretty nice deal you got on it as well. You'll love it![/quote]
Thanks! I'm still breaking it in and it'll be another month before I really open her up. It's also my first RWD car so I want to take it easy and not sling her ass all over the roads.

Also the trunk situation is hilarious I woke my wife up because I laughed. The auto dim mirrors are pretty sweet.
Dude, it took all of the 6 techs working to figure it out. I was tempted to tell them to just look in the manual, but I was also amused by them racking their brains and wanted to see how long it would take them. I'm guessing that one of them finally had the bright idea to check. Obviously, there were no women techs or else this problem would've been solved in a few minutes. Men are dumb like that.:rofl:

I'd really like a new car, kinda growing tired of the Versa. I was looking at the Juke on Nissan's site yesterday. I like the car itself, but damn someone should be fired over that name.

yes! a pic of that bad boy please!! (2013 Subaru BRZ Limited)

And to those who said honda fit is fun, I agree. I ended up getting Honda Fit Sport, and it sure is fun to whiz thru on highway :)

[quote name='Clak']I'd really like a new car, kinda growing tired of the Versa. I was looking at the Juke on Nissan's site yesterday. I like the car itself, but damn someone should be fired over that name.[/QUOTE]
I hear ya. If I didn't get a "good" deal on the BRZ, I would've been just as happy in the RSX. Would've been a lot cheaper to get it repaired, re-painted, and looking better than new too.:D

[quote name='Bercelak']yes! a pic of that bad boy please!! (2013 Subaru BRZ Limited)[/quote]
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10662347&postcount=31

And to those who said honda fit is fun, I agree. I ended up getting Honda Fit Sport, and it sure is fun to whiz thru on highway :)
The Fit is GREAT bang for the buck. It might be a little underpowered if fully loaded with people/stuff, but still handles great. I preferred way over the Civic.

Nice choice on the BRZ, someone had one in the car park at work this morning, I thought it looked great and from what I've read it's a cracking drive.

[quote name='perdition(troy']That BRZ hood looks so good. I love that car.

Also knew you'd like the dimming mirrors![/QUOTE]
Dude, coming from driving a car that made it seem like everyone had their hi-beams on, this is like absolute heaven!

How's your new whip treating you?

[quote name='dohdough']I hear ya. If I didn't get a "good" deal on the BRZ, I would've been just as happy in the RSX. Would've been a lot cheaper to get it repaired, re-painted, and looking better than new too.:D

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10662347&postcount=31

The Fit is GREAT bang for the buck. It might be a little underpowered if fully loaded with people/stuff, but still handles great. I preferred way over the Civic.[/QUOTE]
You know how most car names make you pciture something? Good car names fit the car, fast cars have names from things that are thought of as fast, or econo boxes have practical sounding names.

You know what I think when I hear "Juke"?

JukeboxMedium.gif

:roll::applause:

Haha...as an old school Honda/Acura fanboy, I can tell you that the people naming some of these cars are smoking some of the stickiest of the icky. Names like Integra, Prelude, Vigor, and Legend are either gone, or alphabet soup.

Either way, drive what you like and like what you drive, bro. Just make sure you post pics in one of the car threads. :D

My wife wants to buy one of those Kia Soul hamster cars. We have an 06 Mercury Mountaineer with only 70k miles on it, that she is going to use for a trade in. Any advice? I don't drive so the only option I give a fuck about is the audio upgrade and bluetooth.

I guess i'll ask this here, has anyone had any experience using touch up paint? I've got a small place on my front driver side door that happened form having the door smacked against another car. It's down to the metal (it hit a large truck's metal mirror), and I don't want it to start corroding. I've never had to use touch up paint before. I found a place online that sells touch up paint using the car's color code info, but I didn't know if I should buy form them or from a Nissan dealer, which I'm guessing will cost more.

[quote name='masked lemon']My wife wants to buy one of those Kia Soul hamster cars. We have an 06 Mercury Mountaineer with only 70k miles on it, that she is going to use for a trade in. Any advice? I don't drive so the only option I give a fuck about is the audio upgrade and bluetooth.[/QUOTE]
Know how much the car is are worth, find out if there are any dealer holdbacks on the car that you want to buy, get pre-approved for a loan if you're financing, know your credit score, and negotiate the purchase, trade-in, and financing as separate transactions.

[quote name='Clak']I guess i'll ask this here, has anyone had any experience using touch up paint? I've got a small place on my front driver side door that happened form having the door smacked against another car. It's down to the metal (it hit a large truck's metal mirror), and I don't want it to start corroding. I've never had to use touch up paint before. I found a place online that sells touch up paint using the car's color code info, but I didn't know if I should buy form them or from a Nissan dealer, which I'm guessing will cost more.[/QUOTE]
It really depends on how big it is and how professional you want it to look. Personally, I used to just be lazy and brush it on with the touch up pen like white-out. How you're supposed to do it is use a toothpick and have the paint spread on the chip through capillary action. It makes for more even coverage and doesn't add a layer of paint on top of the clear coat, which makes it look like shit.

As for the actual paint, as long as you get a Nissan branded pen, you'll get the right color and they're only about $15.

The stuff from place I was thinking of ordering from had I think 3 different applicators on the bottle, a brush, a pen, and something else I can't remember. Might just get it from a local Nissan dealer though, I think the shipping was going to be more than the paint.

Pro tip for everyone, if the wind is blowing hard, make sure you hang onto your car door when you open it. :dunce:

[quote name='masked lemon']My wife wants to buy one of those Kia Soul hamster cars. We have an 06 Mercury Mountaineer with only 70k miles on it, that she is going to use for a trade in. Any advice? I don't drive so the only option I give a fuck about is the audio upgrade and bluetooth.[/QUOTE]

We just bought a 2013 Kia Rio three weeks ago. Kia wasn't offering much in terms of incentivies. We got $500 for being a previous Kia owner and $750 for my wife being a recent college graduate. They then took those off the dealer price. They wouldn't negotiate any on the price of the car.
Which for a $16,000 car, isn't that surprising but I still hoped they take off another $500 or so to "put me in this car."

The bluetooth with the UVO system is nice, but a little spotty. For music streaming with my android phone it doesn't display on screen any artist or track information. I can click past individual songs with the steering wheel controls, but can't select by artist/albums unless I pick up the phone and do so.

That's one thing that pisses me off about Nissan, they apparently still haven't implemented the A2DP bluetooth profile. Even my friends newish Sentra can't stream over bluetooth.

So we ended up leasing a 2013 Kia Soul Exclaim, and it's pretty sweet.

We were initially offered $8k for our trade in, which was $1,500 less than we owed on it. We talked them down to fully paying the car off, and knocking our monthly payment from $339 a month to $283, with only $500 down. We were the last people in the building and after we left, the guy told us that his manager is pissed because they will be losing $950 on the deal.

Question for eldergamer, I was messing around with the navigation system and found an option for picture frame where it says you can load your own image. How the hell does that work? I have it set to clock right now, but can't even figure out how to get it to display that. It says it's for when the system is off, but it doesn't show shit when the system is off.

[quote name='masked lemon']So we ended up leasing a 2013 Kia Soul Exclaim, and it's pretty sweet.

We were initially offered $8k for our trade in, which was $1,500 less than we owed on it. We talked them down to fully paying the car off, and knocking our monthly payment from $339 a month to $283, with only $500 down. We were the last people in the building and after we left, the guy told us that his manager is pissed because they will be losing $950 on the deal.

Question for eldergamer, I was messing around with the navigation system and found an option for picture frame where it says you can load your own image. How the hell does that work? I have it set to clock right now, but can't even figure out how to get it to display that. It says it's for when the system is off, but it doesn't show shit when the system is off.[/QUOTE]

That, I don't know. I know at least for the Kia Rio there were two versions, a convience package (UVO but no navigation) and a premium package (UVO w/ navigation).

We only got the convience package, didn't need the extra navigation. We already have a Garmin and we use our phones for that.

We thought for about 30 seconds about the soul. The wife thought they were cute, but their gas mileage isn't that great compared to other cars. (Rio should get about 30-35)

We put $7000 down and got a better APR from the dealership than what our local credit union was offering.

I figured it out. You have to hold the map/voice button and the audio power button for a few seconds to turn the system off.

[quote name='masked lemon']pics of what? It's a Kia Soul, I'm sure you've seen them before.[/QUOTE]
Sure, but there's never anything wrong with a little car porn.:D

Ok I'm finally getting around to buying my new car. Is there a particular service you guys recommend to email all dealers in the area? Or do I have to contact them one by one?

I know the exact two cars I'm interested in: one of the forester touring models.

Ok I'm finally getting around to buying my new car. Is there a particular service you guys recommend to email all dealers in the area? Or do I have to contact them one by one?

I know the exact two cars I'm interested in: one of the forester touring models.
In addition to irideabike's suggestion, I think that jumping on the largest forum for the car you're looking at to get an idea of true dealer cost is worth exploring. The enthusiast forums generally have an invoice price sheet with all holdbacks to help with figuring out a rock-bottom price. Also, I think cars.com and/or edmunds.com shoots out a request for quotes from all dealers in a specified area if you go through their sites. Oh, and make sure you give a google voice number so they don't call and bug you. :D

Good luck and don't forget to post pics of the new ride!

bread's done
Back