Tire Chains

A Happy Panda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
Since the OTT failed me I made a thread:

Anyone here install tire chains before? I think I'm probably going to have to, to get to Pasadena for New Year's.

Is it a bitch? Any brands people wanna recommend to me that make it easier?

Wow there is not a ban on tire chains in california of all places?

In michigan there is a ban on tire chains and even studded tires (I blieve on studded tires).

Get a set of snow tires, or something. How much snow did they get over there?

The more I think about this you must be talking about NY maybe?

Either way snow tires. I would think chains are illegal in a lot of states due to it really killing the roads.

[quote name='Snake2715']Wow there is not a ban on tire chains in california of all places?

In michigan there is a ban on tire chains and even studded tires (I blieve on studded tires).

Get a set of snow tires, or something. How much snow did they get over there?

The more I think about this you must be talking about NY maybe?

Either way snow tires. I would think chains are illegal in a lot of states due to it really killing the roads.[/QUOTE]

No need for snow tires. I live in Portland, OR and I'm driving down to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl and I only need the chains for one section of highway near the CA/OR border where sometimes its LEGALLY required to have chains because of how icy it gets. And I can't predict the weather for the 31st or the 2nd when I drive to and back, so there's no fucking way I'm gambling that they won't require chains on those days. If you don't have chains on days that you HAVE to have em, you straight-up get turned around by the highway patrol.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']? Difference?

and yes i have a trunk and jack... :confused:[/QUOTE]

Lay the tire chains down flat in front of your tires. Drive slowly on top of them. Wrap the chains around the tires.

I’ve never done it before, but that’s how it was explained to me.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Lay the tire chains down flat in front of your tires. Drive slowly on top of them. Wrap the chains around the tires.

I’ve never done it before, but that’s how it was explained to me.[/QUOTE]

That's what I always thought...not sure where the jack comes into play.

EDIT: Oh wait I see. No need to drive over the top of them with a jack.

The UPS guys just use a single (heavy gauge) chain threaded through one loop of the rim whenever they get stuck. It works well but it just rips up those roads.

TRUST me a hydraulic jack is the way to go.
in pandas case its a one time thing so not a big deal but if you live in an area where you have to put chains on and off there is no better way.

the wire chains are easier and can be driven more easily in light conditions. chain, chains are better overall.

[quote name='Koggit']jacking it up seems waaay harder than just doing it normally[/QUOTE]

Yes and no.

You are putting more effort in to raise the car.

However, you aren't putting your hands into slush or ice while lining up the chains in front of each tire.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Yes and no.

You are putting more effort in to raise the car.

However, you aren't putting your hands into slush or ice while lining up the chains in front of each tire.[/QUOTE]

ive also found its easier to get them tighter with the jack.
I used to live in the southern california mountains where i worked down the mountain. half way to work id have to take the chains off and then put them on half way home.

if you have chain checks and there are people putting on the chains for money, youll see all of them using hydraulic jacks as well.

panda - id see if you can find an auto store to purchase them that would be kind enough to give you a once through putting them on your car. you dont want to be trying to put them on for the first time when you actually need them.

[quote name='paz9x']ive also found its easier to get them tighter with the jack.
I used to live in the southern california mountains where i worked down the mountain. half way to work id have to take the chains off and then put them on half way home.

if you have chain checks and there are people putting on the chains for money, youll see all of them using hydraulic jacks as well.

panda - id see if you can find an auto store to purchase them that would be kind enough to give you a once through putting them on your car. you dont want to be trying to put them on for the first time when you actually need them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I plan on getting them tomorrow or this Saturday so I'll have time to practice getting them on and off.

I hate the idea of legally requirng you to use chains. People from -real- snow states don't use chains. I lived in alaska for 20 years and only used studded tires some of the times. 4 wheel drive and cautious driving is all you need.

[quote name='eldergamer']I hate the idea of legally requirng you to use chains. People from -real- snow states don't use chains. I lived in alaska for 20 years and only used studded tires some of the times. 4 wheel drive and cautious driving is all you need.[/QUOTE]

the law is required imo. the issue with areas that dont have regular snow and are neighbored by areas that never have snow means most people arent accustomed to driving in those conditions.
while i cant say in other states/areas this is certainly applicable to california.

i worked at a board/ski shop on a main highway and wed laugh and count the fender benders on the stretch in front of our store before lunch.

[quote name='paz9x']the law is required imo. the issue with areas that dont have regular snow and are neighbored by areas that never have snow means most people arent accustomed to driving in those conditions.
while i cant say in other states/areas this is certainly applicable to california.

i worked at a board/ski shop on a main highway and wed laugh and count the fender benders on the stretch in front of our store before lunch.[/QUOTE]

This.

I mean in Portland, if it snows like 2 or 3 inches, EVERYTHING closes down.

Other news. Got the chains. Learned how to put em on myself and I can put both on in about 15 minutes. Now I just hope I won't have to so I can return them.

bread's done
Back