TiVo Series2 40-Hour Digital Video Recorder Free AR

greysector

CAGiversary!
Reposted from http://www.techbargains.com

TiVo Series2 40-Hour Digital Video Recorder Free AR

Dell Home has the TiVo TCD540040 Series2 40-Hour Digital Video Recorder for a low
$199 - 15% off Coupon

code: FR1??2HM2MJZM7 Exp 10/29 5:59am CT or 500 uses - $150 rebate - $20 off $150 coupon
Code: $?89Q0$SJ4D?1S Exp 10/29 5:59am CT = Free. Service fee required. Free shipping, $4.40 handling.

When activating your Tivo please use this address as the referring party:
techbargains.com at gmail.com

$150 rebate Exp 11/27/05
http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/00/10/00/12/70/52/100012705285.pdf

I know I'm going to get slammed for this but why would someone buy a TiVo nowadays? Don't most cable companies offer an all-in-one cable box/DVR? The monthly fees are way less too. Also, TiVo doesn't make an HD-DVR (unless you count the DirecTiVo for $1,000 or so last I checked) so they are becoming increasingly obsolete as more and more people jump on the HD bandwagon. I've had my 120GB dual tuner HD-DVR from Concast for over a year now and I wouldn't think about getting anything else. Plus, if anything goes wrong I can call my cable company and they can fix or replace it...

I'm very happy with my TiVo service through DirecTV, but you're absolutely right about one thing: having it is preventing me from upgrading to HDTV. I'm not going to drop $700 on a shitting BOX, without even considering the fucking television and the extra $17 in monthly fees (tivo and HD signal combined).

Tivo is perfect for people who don't want to spend the money on digital cable and don't have HDTVs. For me it has worked great and until I get a better TV, I'll stick with Tivo. Plus, getting a "free" Tivo box is a good way to try it out. I got in on the deal last spring with two $100 rebates with no requirement for a minimum committment.

Um, I just got a HD Tivo for $299.99 with a $100.00 mail in rebate. Call Direct TV ask for customer retention and ask what the best deal the can give you on one would be. Tell them you know people have been getting them for around $199.99 after rebates and discounts. Call back several times and you will get a similar deal. Remember you must ask for customer retention, they are the only ones you can get the deal from.

Discussed at length here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=254292

Numsay

[quote name='javeryh']I know I'm going to get slammed for this but why would someone buy a TiVo nowadays? Don't most cable companies offer an all-in-one cable box/DVR? The monthly fees are way less too. Also, TiVo doesn't make an HD-DVR (unless you count the DirecTiVo for $1,000 or so last I checked) so they are becoming increasingly obsolete as more and more people jump on the HD bandwagon. I've had my 120GB dual tuner HD-DVR from Concast for over a year now and I wouldn't think about getting anything else. Plus, if anything goes wrong I can call my cable company and they can fix or replace it...[/QUOTE]

The beauty of Tivo lies in its software. Sure, there are other DVRs with time-shifting capabilities, but are they as usable as a Tivo? Can a 60 year old pick up your Comcast remote and record an entire season's worth of Desparate Housewives with a few button presses? How about record any Alfred Hitchcock movie that is aired? Or any program on any station that is about video games?

I haven't used any other DVR aside from my Series 1 Tivo, so I only know about other DVRs through secondhand information. I'm not knocking the other systems - I'm sure they do a fair job; they're just not Tivo.

Your point about service is quite valid and brings up my feeling about the direction Tivo should take - they should get out of the hardware side of it and only license their software. We'll see if that's comes out of the Comcast deal that was inked months ago. As far as HD goes, I don't think it has enough penetration (under 15%) yet to really regard it as a major force, though that'll change in a few years. Even so, I'm betting the majority of consumers who have HDTVs are likely to have enough money to buy/use a DVR, so the need for a HD DVR is definitely there. I just don't think there's enough interest to warrant Tivo getting too much into the HD business right now - they have enough problems to worry about.

Have you used a Tivo before? I mean, really checked out its Season Pass and Search options and not just its time-shifting? It really is a nice piece of hardware.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']The beauty of Tivo lies in its software. Sure, there are other DVRs with time-shifting capabilities, but are they as usable as a Tivo? Can a 60 year old pick up your Comcast remote and record an entire season's worth of Desparate Housewives with a few button presses? How about record any Alfred Hitchcock movie that is aired? Or any program on any station that is about video games?

I haven't used any other DVR aside from my Series 1 Tivo, so I only know about other DVRs through secondhand information. I'm not knocking the other systems - I'm sure they do a fair job; they're just not Tivo.

Your point about service is quite valid and brings up my feeling about the direction Tivo should take - they should get out of the hardware side of it and only license their software. We'll see if that's comes out of the Comcast deal that was inked months ago. As far as HD goes, I don't think it has enough penetration (under 15%) yet to really regard it as a major force, though that'll change in a few years. Even so, I'm betting the majority of consumers who have HDTVs are likely to have enough money to buy/use a DVR, so the need for a HD DVR is definitely there. I just don't think there's enough interest to warrant Tivo getting too much into the HD business right now - they have enough problems to worry about.

Have you used a Tivo before? I mean, really checked out its Season Pass and Search options and not just its time-shifting? It really is a nice piece of hardware.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit the TiVo software is superior but just barely. My DVR has the equilavent of a "Season Pass" that is very easy to set up. The only thing I wish my DVR had was remote scheduling so I could monitor activity on it from work. However, I get constant software upgrades with each one more user friendly than the last. Plus, I can store about 40 hours of HDTV or like 150 hours of regular TV and it's only $5 per month. There's just no way I'd switch to a service for $13 per month and a separate box, etc.

Since I own a TiVo I can't stand the local cable company's DVR. It's tacky and yucky and slow. TiVo invested a huge amount of time and money in usability - the device does exactly what you want it to do when you want it. Buttons have the effect you'd expect. It's a wonderful device, miles ahead of anything else I've tried so far. And the service? $300 for lifetime service, which means you break even after two and a half years, since the cable company charges you $10 a month.

I never watch live television, or touch the cable remote (and never use the TV remote except to do stuff like toggle captions. The TiVo remote fits perfectly in my hand. I am a brother of all those who own or will ever own a TiVo.

i like the feature where you can tell your tivo to record shows on the web. cable dvr's dont have that option.

i'm all for tivo.

I've had a 40 hour tivo for about 3 years now and I can't imagine tv without it. Yeah I could get a dvr through comcast but my tivo is paid for and I only have basic cable (still almost 50 bucks!).

Another alternative is to get a tv card with built in dvr for your pc. I have this on my desktop and it works great. This setup has an output so that I can use it with my big screen in the basement. What's nice about it is that I can also play my pc games on the big tv. Not nearly as good as tivo but it's about 100 bucks with no fees.

RC

[quote name='javeryh']I'll admit the TiVo software is superior but just barely. My DVR has the equilavent of a "Season Pass" that is very easy to set up. The only thing I wish my DVR had was remote scheduling so I could monitor activity on it from work. However, I get constant software upgrades with each one more user friendly than the last. Plus, I can store about 40 hours of HDTV or like 150 hours of regular TV and it's only $5 per month. There's just no way I'd switch to a service for $13 per month and a separate box, etc.[/QUOTE]
I own two TiVo's and have a third on the way from the JCPenny deal (buy $100 of Dockers' stuff and get a free 40 hr w/3 months free service).

The DVR that Charter markets is a slow, ugly, useless POS. The only advantages it has over mine is that it does HD (which I don't care about, as I don't have a HDTV and won't for a while) and it records two shows at once (which I can do with both Tivo's as I have it right now).
140 hours on one box (w/DVD recorder) and 80 hours on the other one.

Remote scheduling is a great thing, used it to save my backside a few times with shows I need to watch and forgot to do.

The interface blows the doors off the one from Charter. No question there.

Yay! Everybody likes TiVo!

I actually helped a little bit - I took part in a 1-hour usability study when they were testing the then-secret sort/group features.

Oh, and if you buy a TiVo, could I get you to use me as the referrer (unless you already have somebody?).

I have a dish DVR and its really nice and basically does everything similar to tivo except that tivo has you can access it from the internet

[quote name='shajek']Tivo is perfect for people who don't want to spend the money on digital cable and don't have HDTVs. For me it has worked great and until I get a better TV, I'll stick with Tivo. Plus, getting a "free" Tivo box is a good way to try it out. I got in on the deal last spring with two $100 rebates with no requirement for a minimum committment.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I dont have anything HD and got in on a good deal for an 80hr Tivo about six months ago and love it. However, if I did have digital cable or Direct Tv im sure there may be better options, but right now I honestly dont see myself upgrading for at least a year, so Im quite content.

Anyway, a good deal.

bread's done
Back