TMNT 25th Anniversary + Japanese Ninja Turtles video.

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
On TV earlier today I caught a new Ninja Turtles movie called "Turtles Forever." In it the new brand of turtles meet the 1987 cartoon version of themselves along with 1987 Shredder and Krang. I'm not a fan of the newer turtles so I enjoyed seeing the TMNT that I grew up with. They mainly poked fun of them by making them look whimpy compared to the newer ones. But they also meet up with the gritty black & white comic book versions of themselves which was also really cool. Anyways I decided to do a little internet surfing of the turtles and learned it's their 25th anniversary, hence this movie.

I also found this video on youtube. I couldn't stop laughing. I had to share it. I guess it's the intro to some Ninja Turtles cartoon show that aired in Japan. I know we Americanize many Japanese brands, but Japan is guilty of the same thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGMfb60lc14

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still waiting for a complete collection of the original cartoons. I might not even watch them all if I had them, but they were such a big part of my childhood that I'd like to have them all.

I think that show might have been on here in the US also. I don't know why but I think I had a toy of Leo as a kid that looked like that.

[quote name='sendme']I think that show might have been on here in the US also. I don't know why but I think I had a toy of Leo as a kid that looked like that.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't, but the toys based on it were released in America also.

I got up early just to watch this. This was "Forever Red" for TMNT fans, that's for sure. They did a really good job of capturing what made all 3 incarnations of the turtles special: the 1984 turtles were really grim and gritty, the 1987 turtles were goofy and light-hearted, and the 2003 turtles were somewhere in-between.

It was great seeing all the classic characters come together and interact with one-another, especially the Shredders: 2003 Sredder being the most competent and intimidating, 1987 being a typical bumbling cartoon villain, and the 1984 villain being a blip on the radar (for those not in the know, in the comics, Shredder was a one-shot villain in the first issue).

The voices were okay for the most part. My biggest complaint being that James Avery (aka Uncle Phil from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air) didn't reprise his role as 1987 Shredder.

All in all, It was a fun little homage to one of one of the most beloved cartoon franchises of all-time.

I just happened on the show about half hour in and watched it off and on. I really enjoyed that they brought the original comic turtles into the show, along with a couple lines from the comic as well. I felt like they did a well representation of each of the turtle series. I could have seen them through a few more of the TMNT series into the show, but it was still good as it was.

Woke up early just to watch "TURTLES FOREVER". I enjoyed every moment of it. I just like watching the turtles interact with their alternate selves. I especially enjoyed the scene where 2003 Shredder shows the multiverse of other turtle incarnations. I'd say this was a good anniversary showing the evolution of the franchise as a whole.

Was disappointed with 87' Shredders voice. I did like it when comic Leonardo started to narrate his fight scenes and such. Just overall really enjoyed it and am satisfied with the series even more so now.

Now it's time to see where Nickelodeon heads with TMNT since they own the turtles now.

I also got up early just to watch this. I geeked out during the scene that shows the multiverse, I recognized them all. The first movie, Mark Martin's turtles, Michael Zuli's turtles, TMNT, it was just awesome. I especially enjoyed the 1984 Turtles animated. Really can't wait for the DVD release. Day one purchase for sure.

@LXL_Guy: It's Nickelodeon. They'll probably ruin it.
EDIT: according to Wikipedia:
"Nickelodeon has acquired the global rights to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from the Mirage Group and 4Kids Entertainment, Inc. and have announced that they are moving forward on development on a new CGI-animated TMNT television series which will premiere in 2012"
I guess that means the newest series will come to an end. So yeah, they'll ruin it.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']@LXL_Guy: It's Nickelodeon. They'll probably ruin it.
EDIT: according to Wikipedia:
"Nickelodeon has acquired the global rights to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from the Mirage Group and 4Kids Entertainment, Inc. and have announced that they are moving forward on development on a new CGI-animated TMNT television series which will premiere in 2012"
I guess that means the newest series will come to an end. So yeah, they'll ruin it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just like those bastards ruined Avatar. :roll:

Please shut up.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yeah, just like those bastards ruined Avatar. :roll:

Please shut up.[/QUOTE]

Never liked Avatar, but I'm pretty attached to the 2003 TMNT cartoon, and Nickelodeon's been messing up franchises left and right.

But I guess an opinion can be wrong :roll:

Did anyone one else notice right before the 2003 Turtles went into 1987 Turtles universe, in the portal you could see the human selves of Rocksteady and Bebop walking down the street?

[quote name='JolietJake']It's like TMNT meets Ronin Warriors.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. At first I thought it was a parody or something.

I also read this was supposed to be the end of the current TMNT storyline since Nickeloden was taking over. I'm not a fan of the newer brand but there was no better way to end it. I also enjoyed the CG movie that came out a few years back.

And I know he's not originally a TMNT character but I missed Miyamoto Usagi (Usagi Yojimbo) Anyone see a cameo of him anywhere?

Watching this brings back so many memories. I was :lol: when they showed the technodrome underground and shredder was trying to start it, but he couldn't get the engine to turn over. Just the idea that that huge machine would sound like an old car trying to start....:rofl:

Damn it I missed it. I was looking forward to seeing this for awhile.

I really hope that Nickelodeon keeps the Turtles more like the 2003 series and doesn't go back to the old 80's version.

I'm a big fan of the 2003 version since I grew up on the Black & White comic, I never cared much for the 80's cartoon since it was so toned down compared to the comic.

[quote name='Purple Flames'](for those not in the know, in the comics, Shredder was a one-shot villain in the first issue).[/QUOTE]

Kind of, he came back later in the 'Return to New York' story arch, thou it wasn't the original it was a clone, Leonardo decapitated him in the end. But he came back again after that story arch, and again killed off.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yeah, just like those bastards ruined Avatar. :roll:

Please shut up.[/QUOTE]

the way avatar ended did suck. too many questions werent answered but then again nickleodeon has a bad track record of ending shows without any real warning or without giving hem a decent/proper ending.

danny phantom: shit ending

rocket power: no ending just stopped making new one

not to mention the way they raped people with those shitty season compilation dvds by dividing each season into 3 or 4 episode dvds each seling for like 20 or more bucks. that said if the people who did avatar got to make the turtles cartoon it could be good but id rather see a turtles toon that was more like the original comic. fox kids did a decent turtles cartoon for a while and then kinda ruined it.

I am worried that Nickelodeon going to seriously mess up the 2012 movie. I really think the CGI/Live Action sounds cool for the new movie. With Nickelodeon behind it though, I guess we will just have to wait and see if they change their mind on that idea.

[quote name='CapAmerica']Kind of, he came back later in the 'Return to New York' story arch, thou it wasn't the original it was a clone, Leonardo decapitated him in the end. But he came back again after that story arch, and again killed off.[/QUOTE]

He was worms! WORMS!

I loved the story arc in those first 11 issues. Killed Shredder, fought the Foot, traveled through time and space, met Cerebus. It was crazy! The comics took a downturn once Eastman and Laird were too busy to do much work on it, but the first few issues, Return to New York and City at War were great storylines.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']It's cute how some of you don't understand a thing about animation production. :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's cute how you never back up any of your arguments

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']He was worms! WORMS!

I loved the story arc in those first 11 issues. Killed Shredder, fought the Foot, traveled through time and space, met Cerebus. It was crazy! The comics took a downturn once Eastman and Laird were too busy to do much work on it, but the first few issues, Return to New York and City at War were great storylines.

It's cute how you never back up any of your arguments

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']It's cute how some of you don't understand a thing about animation production. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Come on KL. I like you, but even to me that sounded snobbish.

[quote name='Dokstarr']The one thing I do remember very vivdly is Baxter Stockman trying to have the Mousers eat April chasing her through the sewers.[/QUOTE]

Issue 2! One of the big reveals in vol 4 of the comics is that Donatello had been keeping Stockman alive in the sewers for years in order to gain his knowledge. Blew me away, as he was supposed to have died in vol 1.

I don't remember a shark, though. Sounds like some 60's Batman shit.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']If you really need me to spell things out for you, fine. I think it's criminally retarded that some of you are preemptively complaining about "OMG Nickelodeon's going to ruin it!!" when the network has proven that it's more than capable of handling sophisticated action shows in the past. If, once a creative direction is established, once an art style is chosen, or hell - once *any* details are finally released about the new show and you don't like what you've read or seen, fine, you'll have a leg to stand on with your complaints. But until that time comes, you've got nothing but a bunch of unfounded pissing and moaning about how Nickelodeon is going to ruin the franchise. And that's fucking stupid. And pointless.

As for me, I stand firmly in the "I'm anxious to see what it looks like!" camp. Why bother complaining about problems that don't exist yet?[/QUOTE]

Alright, thank you for actually presenting an argument. I'm worried that they'll ruin it because of their past record with good shows. Nicktoons ended long before their time, and most recent shows have taken a turn for the worse as Nickelodeon positions itself as the next Disney Channel with live action shows targeting preteen girls.

I'm quite anxious to see what they do with it, too, but not especially looking forward to watching it sandwiched between episodes of iCarly.

I am anxious to see Nick's take on the TMNT, (I always like to see new spins on old but familiar characters) But to be honest I have not been compelled towards any of Nick's cartoons. Still, I'll give it a shot.

[quote name='Rodimus']I am anxious to see Nick's take on the TMNT, (I always like to see new spins on old but familiar characters) But to be honest I have not been compelled towards any of Nick's cartoons. Still, I'll give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

Really? Avatar is easily one of the best cartoons made in the last ten years.

[quote name='Purple Flames']The first 17 issues of vol. 1 are on the official TMNT webpage. Does anyone know where I can find the rest of the series?[/QUOTE]

Find 'em at comic book stores. They're plentiful and relatively cheap for an independent book. I should say that past issue #15 or so, they don't really follow a solid storyline. They're more like an anthology, with different artists and writers every few issues making their own stories. My favorites are Mark Martin's goofy take in issues #16, 22 and 23, Michael Zuli's "Soul's Winter" in #31, 35 and 36, and Eastman and Talbot's "Distractions" in #17.

finished watching Turtles Forever. Man did that episode rule. I grew up with the old school turtles so boy did that bring back memories.
The current gen turtles look horrible though.

Few questions:

1) What's the story on the current Shredder? Why is he some small slug creature?

2) Where those black and white turtles from an old series?

3) That flashback scene with pics of all the turtles was amazing.

[quote name='guyver2077']

1) What's the story on the current Shredder? Why is he some small slug creature?

3) That flashback scene with pics of all the turtles was amazing.[/QUOTE]

1. Short Answer, The Utroms crashed landed on Earth during feudal Japanese era. The ship was a prisoner ship transporting the Evil Ch’rell. He escaped and with a robot exo-suit took on the identity of Oroku Saki and The Shredder (who in this world was a tengu legend). He also created the Foot Clan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shredder_(Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles)#2003_animated_series

2. Yes the Black and White Turtles was from the old B&W series. You can read the first issue here:
http://ninjaturtles.com/comics/mirage/one/cover.htm

3. Yes it was.

[quote name='guyver2077']
[/QUOTE]

Those are the original turtles from the comic book. Those are the ones that spawned the entire franchise.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']CGI will ruin this franchise[/QUOTE]

I really liked the CGI movie. In-fact I would say its a close (very close) second as my favorite TV/Movie version of the Ninja Turtles.

I don't understand why you would say CGI would ruin it, CGI if really no different they hand drawn animation. It all really depends on the art style they decide to go with.

Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation killed live action for me, I can never go back after that disaster. I really have no desire to every see another Live Action movie. Plus CGI allows the Turtles do do a lot more cool Ninja like movies, the big foam suits have their limitations. I'm personally even a bit iffy on the CGI/Live Action hybrid movie. I would much rather have a TMNT-2.

Did anyone else ever see a TMNT video that had something called the "Turtle Wrap". It was literally a rap song about wrapping presents. I always mention but I don't think anyone else has seen it. I remember renting it as a kid once~

I can't think of too many CGI TV shows I liked. Yeah the TMNT CGI movie was good, but I can see a TV show being cheesy. I'm not even a fan of the Clone Wars stuff. It's just too forced.

bread's done
Back