TMNT Blu-Ray set $47.96 at WBShop.com

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
The box set of all 4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies on Blu-Ray is $47.96 at WBShop.com. (It shows up as $59.99 until you add it to your cart.)

tmnt-br-collection.jpg

The set contains:
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the Movie (awesome)
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Secret of the Ooze (very kiddified but still fun & has Vanilla Ice)
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 (not much going for it except the return of Casey Jones)
-TMNT (CG animated film, pretty good)
The only special features for the live-action films are their trailers, sadly. TMNT has a fair amount of content though, as it's the same disc that was released separately a while back.
The packaging is cardboard and doesn't include separate keepcases for the films :( but it does have a minicomic and beanie :) .
Blu-Ray.com review

It's $55.96 at Amazon right now, so this ends up being less from WBShop, provided your order total is high enough for free shipping.
You have to spend over $60 to get it free. But you could potentially combine this set with the B2G1F coupon to ensure free shipping and get a better deal.
Another coupon: HERO20 for 20% off all superhero shirts. (exp. 8/25)

I was at Best Buy today and it was definitely 54.99 there. I'll probably pick this up if it ever hits 30 or under. I already have TMNT on Blu-Ray and the only movie I really liked out of the 3 live action ones was the first one.

Might as well look at the Warner B2G2 thread if you are buying this to get the most bang for your buck. Wound up being like $21 for me after buying 3 other things.

Both the packaging and transfers (minus the one for TMNT) are HORRIBLE on this set. The first 3 movies look better than their dvd counterparts, but remain borderline unwatchable for me given the clarity of most blue rays. I honestly can't believe how bad the picture is.

Narclepto, that's just how a lot of old movies look when transferred to BR. Unless they do an expensive restoration like Blade Runner received, films that were shot on the cheap and many years ago come out pretty grainy when transferred to hi-def.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the cheapest I've seen it OP, good find. But I'm holding out until it breaks that $40 barrier. And I love the packaging, I was looking at it in Best Buy today ($60 in my store) and I think the pizza box looks awesome.

[quote name='eastx']Narclepto, that's just how a lot of old movies look when transferred to BR. Unless they do an expensive restoration like Blade Runner received, films that were shot on the cheap and many years ago come out pretty grainy when transferred to hi-def.[/QUOTE]

I'm not giving them a pass on this. How can you make a "25th anniversary collection" and give us horrible transfers? I'm not an expert at all on film, but even I can see that the transfer is filled with grain, crazy amounts of noise, artifacting, etc. I have blu rays of movies older than the original turtles movie that look infinitely better. If you're going to force us to buy all 4 movies, at least make it worth our while visually. I mean if you want your product to sell past the first week, shouldnt you put SOME effort into the content? Even if they wouldnt/couldnt do a remastering (if thats the proper term) they should have cleaned it up some.

/rant

I'll have to see when I get my set if it's actually bad, but I've seen screenshots and they don't look bad. The first two films are very grainy, yes, but that's not a bad thing.

Also, noise and artifacting are bad, but they aren't the same thing as film grain. I hope the poster above me knows what they are, and isn't just using them all to describe the same thing

I received this today and im a little dissapointed with the transfer. It does look ok at times (sewer scenes) but rather bad at other scenes... that being said im a huge tmnt fan so im loving it..

This review praises the transfer.

http://project-blu.com/reviews/tmnt.html

i wish wb would of included actual cases though with cover art, etc. They could of made the pizza box slightlky larger and just include the movies in their cases.

@lolwut?: Yes I do know the difference. Here's a couple quotes from the IGN review:

In reference to the first film:
"Depth and details are better than the DVD by leaps and bounds, but still mostly flat. Contrast is faded and drab. Certain sequences (the flashbacks) look utterly terrible – pixilated and boggy (they always looked terrible though). Black dirt specks and even a few film scratches plague the transfer as well. I'm surprised the print doesn't have reel markers, too! "

Regarding the second film:
"A thick haze of grain clogs the print, removing depth and details. It never goes away, either. Even bright daytime sequences are still foggy. The print hasn't been cleaned. Dust, dirt and scratches appear in almost every scene, though they're not nearly as bad as the first film. Contrast is again quite faded and colors are soft and drab, flooded with pastels.

The encode, like the first film, is riddled with compression flaws. Artifacting, posterization, digital noise and edge haloes are present in almost every scene in varying capacities. "

It's not just me.

While I would never trust IGN Blu-Ray reviews, a lot of other sites are saying that these aren't the best transfers, but they are still much better than their DVD counterparts.

Regardless, I wouldn't expect some major restoration to the TMNT franchise; I doubt there is a huge market for these movies, especially on Blu-Ray. Really, you only have to look at the packaging to know that this was a cheap effort from Warner, and most of their New Line stuff is the worst of their releases.

I got this on the cheap from the WBShop sale though, so I'm not going to be too hurt if they do look really bad when I get them. Didn't you read any reviews before you bought the set?

[quote name='lolwut?']While I would never trust IGN Blu-Ray reviews, a lot of other sites are saying that these aren't the best transfers, but they are still much better than their DVD counterparts.

Regardless, I wouldn't expect some major restoration to the TMNT franchise; I doubt there is a huge market for these movies, especially on Blu-Ray. Really, you only have to look at the packaging to know that this was a cheap effort from Warner, and most of their New Line stuff is the worst of their releases.

I got this on the cheap from the WBShop sale though, so I'm not going to be too hurt if they do look really bad when I get them. Didn't you read any reviews before you bought the set?[/QUOTE]

My order for the set shipped before I saw any reviews for it. Be that as it may, the TMNT product line is a hundred million dollar franchise (it's probably billions really) and I expected them to do a pretty good job on this release. Admittedly I didnt know Warner's reputation with their New Line stuff that you alluded to.

Ultimately it's a subjective thing as far as whether you're ok with the transfer quality. I was just SORELY disappointed on a personal level. But given that across the board people are saying the transfers arent good at all, I figure it's worth warning people before they drop $50 to $60 and possibly end up disappointed as well.

The flashbacks in TMNT 1 always looked absolutely terrible, regardless of which format the movie came on (even theatrically).

It's not true that the transfers are being called terrible across the board, as we have linked to two positive reviews in this thread. Narc, you're incorrectly turning your opinion into the majority opinion.

Now, as far as criticisms that are less subjective, the lack of special features is the real problem with this set. There are deleted scenes, an alternate ending, and several featurettes that could have been included for TMNT 1 & 2, but weren't. It's disappointing that these movies may never come with special features that already exist for them.

bread's done
Back