To buy or not to buy?

SuxoR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I'll give you a tiny background story
I had a DS from launch and a few games (only have 1 now)

Since I lost it in a move I was thinking about buying a new DS...now should I get a Lite or a DSi? I'm not sure if the online store will be used at all...and the lite is much cheaper

Can anyone gives some opinions? thanks CAG

btw if I do get a DSi it will be the 100 dollar used ones :D'
Black Friday ftw

I recently upgraded from the DS Lite to the DSi. In general, I'm happy with it, but the only real tangible upgrade for me is screen size.

A couple questions.

1) Do you have GBA games? And if so, another means to play them? If not, you'll obviously miss the GBA slot if you go with the DSi.

2) Does the camera matter at all to you? IMO, it's a piece of junk and really just a neat toy at best - but that doesn't bother me because I don't want to use it.

It might just be me, but the DSi has felt so far like it's slightly more awkward to hold than the DS Lite, though I can't quite put my finger on why. It might just be a personal preference.

[quote name='bvharris']It might just be me, but the DSi has felt so far like it's slightly more awkward to hold than the DS Lite, though I can't quite put my finger on why. It might just be a personal preference.[/QUOTE]

don't know if it is in fact true or not but it feels thinner and with the big hands, it doesn't feel right like the second gen DS did.

You may want to consider the new DSi XL even if you were planning to make a move on a new DSi. Although $100 for a DSi is a pretty good deal.

Remember DSi got more memory and a faster processor than the DSLite and some day they will make DSi only games that will take advantage of those features

There are a number of little improvements on the DSi. For example you can change the screen brightness in-game. The fact that you couldn't on the DS/DS Lite was just bizarre. Actually it's still bizarre that the way you do this isn't with a brightness button, but by holding select and pressing volume up/down, but once you know it it works well. Also you can swap games without turning off the DSi. And there are some good download games. To name a few, the Art Style games are generally quite good and so is Mario vs. Donkey Kong Minis March Again. Soon we are going to get a download version (the full game, not a gimped one) of Little Red Riding Hoods Zombie BBQ too. I'm looking forward to that, and it's cheap at 800 points). There's other good download titles as well. As far as playing GBA, yes you lose that, but the DS Lite couldn't play GB/GBC games, so either way you are losing something and your best best is to pick up a used GBA SP+, then you've got it all covered.

Well I have no GBA games and I like the matte finish on the DSi
The camera isn't extremely important but it might be cool to snap a picture of something for fun

The thing is I do not use the DS very frequently (ipod or books) so that's why I thought this cheap deal could be worth it, is it warranted?

[quote name='SuxoR']Well I have no GBA games and I like the matte finish on the DSi
The camera isn't extremely important but it might be cool to snap a picture of something for fun

The thing is I do not use the DS very frequently (ipod or books) so that's why I thought this cheap deal could be worth it, is it warranted?[/QUOTE]

I personally would just wait for the DSi XL. No need to rush for the DSi just yet. Wouldn't you rather have a larger screen anyways and with all the benefits of the DSi? :D

From the sound of it, I would NOT wait for the XL if I were you. Either the Lite or the DSi will do you fine. If you can score a used DSi on Black Friday for $100, I'd say go for it. If it is in good condition, that price is quite reasonable, even for a used unit.

I still have my original DS, and haven't upgraded to either the Lite or the DSi. My original unit still works fine, so I just don't see enough of a reason. I do like some of the extra features the DSi has. Being able to swap games without switching off the system is very nice. It's always annoyed me that I have to reset my DS every time I swap out a cartridge. Since you have no GBA games, you aren't missing out on anything there.

bread's done
Back