To Flip Or Not to Flip , Treasure vs Money

ShaJay

CAGiversary!
For people who have rare games do you hold on to them because your a collector or would you rather keep making money off of Video Games? WHat means more to you?? I seen most games that are rare eventually always go down in price.

I sell games that are worth more than I bought them for, especially if I don't care for said game or don't plan on ever playing it again.

I buy games to play, not to sit around and collect dust.

I usually keep rare games that I find. I mainly collect RPGs and I like to keep them since It can usually be difficult to find some of them. I will sell extra copies that I find at garage sales and other places. I sold a copy of DDS for $78 on ebay when I found it at GC for $14. I'm not going to be selling my copy since I really liked both games.

Depends on the game, most current-gen games have a very short window of time where they go up in price (especially considering reprints and what not), your best off unloading during that time if its something you don't want or don't play.

If its something collectible that consistently goes for a lot of money like... a saturn rpg then its your choice whether you want to keep it or not, ultimately it is your choice. You may want to keep a game that consistently goes for a lot of money because likely it will just go up in value and if you decide to sell getting your hands on another copy of the same game at your price will not be easy, and probably will be impossible.

I don't really buy games specifically to make profit but if I just so happen to have a game that I don't like much anymore then its nice to be able to sell it for more than what you paid for it.

its hit and miss. you have to know when your game is hot fire atm. some people who doesn't often get rare games likes to flip them right away (and usually within 48 to 72 hours after they bought it). i usually don't. don't sell your game when its closer to cold turkey prices.

Depends if the game has any sort of attachment to me, and rather I would play it again/am I completely broke? There are some games I have that I would never get rid of.

some people keep a small library of books in their house; I keep shelves of games. I keep what I buy and let friends I trust borrow them. However if I find a rare game I already have on the cheap, if said friends don't want them for what I paid, if goes up here.

I keep my games because Im a gamer and I love videogames. If I happen to own a game worth money, thats great, but I dont 'invest' in videogames.

I invest my money in mutual funds.

flipping is different from "investing" though. I only "invest" when the games are $10 or cheaper and are guaranteed to sell for a lot later on. I just throw them in a box and then they'll eventually pay for other gaming needs at a fraction of price.

Flipping is just seeing a copy of something rare for cheap, then ebaying it for weekend spending money or something.

on topic, I play stuff then sell it soon after.

I have tons of "rare" games and doubles, triples etc. I only sell what I need to continue the hobby. For example, if I am broke, Ill sell one of the duplicates to keep going. I have a shoebox that I put games that I find on the cheap to sell, usually to only flip for a few bucks, but I dont put them in my dupicate piles. For example I have 2 copies of Mario Kart 64 I want to keep (clean cart, 1 pc, 1 original) and then excess copies I have to sell (carts are dirty, sticker has marks, etc). I may unload some of my Final Fantasy VII's (7x-8x), but right now then arent in my sell stack. I find games for so cheap sometimes, that it doesnt hurt me to keep them.

[quote name='Otherguy676']I have tons of "rare" games and doubles, triples etc. I only sell what I need to continue the hobby. For example, if I am broke, Ill sell one of the duplicates to keep going. I have a shoebox that I put games that I find on the cheap to sell, usually to only flip for a few bucks, but I dont put them in my dupicate piles. For example I have 2 copies of Mario Kart 64 I want to keep (clean cart, 1 pc, 1 original) and then excess copies I have to sell (carts are dirty, sticker has marks, etc). I may unload some of my Final Fantasy VII's (7x-8x), but right now then arent in my sell stack. I find games for so cheap sometimes, that it doesnt hurt me to keep them.[/quote]

Ive learned to do the same. Ive been heavy into collecting for PS2, and Ive got a stack of games sitting in the closet that I bought for fairly cheap, that I now need to sell so I can afford to buy other crap. I usually buy anything that that is somewhat profitable, usually at least 20% or more extra from what I paid, just to use as trade fodder or to eventually sell. The B2G1 from GS/EB is the only time I really buy anything with the intention of just selling it.

bread's done
Back