To SNES, or not?

HACBassoon

CAG Veteran
Feedback
2 (100%)
Ok, well, I'm leaving for college in a week or so, and taking my systems with me. Well, my mom tells me today that she wants to maybe buy a cheap TV and game system to keep at home for when I come home. Obviously, it wouldn't be very smart to have 2 Wii's, or any other new system, so I figured it would be a perfect oppurtunity to get a classic system. I had a SNES back in the day, and I'd love to get back into it. Now, what I wanted to ask is would the SNES be the best choice? Or NES/Sega system/ or even gamecube/wii. Any and all advice would be great. Also, what games should I get? Theres a game attic in the mall here that has alot of older systems.. but they are kinda expensive, esspecially older games. Thanks

[quote name='HACBassoon']Ok, well, I'm leaving for college in a week or so, and taking my systems with me. Well, my mom tells me today that she wants to maybe buy a cheap TV and game system to keep at home for when I come home. Obviously, it wouldn't be very smart to have 2 Wii's, or any other new system, so I figured it would be a perfect oppurtunity to get a classic system. I had a SNES back in the day, and I'd love to get back into it. Now, what I wanted to ask is would the SNES be the best choice? Or NES/Sega system/ or even gamecube/wii. Any and all advice would be great. Also, what games should I get? Theres a game attic in the mall here that has alot of older systems.. but they are kinda expensive, esspecially older games. Thanks[/quote]

Depends on the games you like. Personally, I like the NES and SNES, but so does everyone else so the games may run more $$ than sega games. You could always get a third party NES/SNES combo for a decent price.

Good luck at college! ...ahh the good ole days of college...

The SNES is my favorite system. I do'nt think you can go wrong. There are select games that are a littlt pricey but still your best overall choice IMO if you want to kick it old school.

Go with a cheap $300 computer or $500 laptop, and download SNES, NES, Genesis, Neo Geo, & PSX roms to your heart's content.

Since you're going to college, a 360 is mandatory. Halo 3 lan parties....

In my days, it was mandatory to have Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1, console didn't matter.

Anyways, Get the Xbox Wireless Gaming Reciever for the computer. All You gotta do is bring back your controller when you come home.

SNES

NBA Jam
Super Mario Kart
Killer Instinct
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time
Mega Man X
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
Contra 3
Super Punch Out
Final Fantasy 3

You're talking about keeping the SNES at home? Man, I had that thing up in my dorm room and my roommates and I had a blast playing Mario All-Stars and Super Punch Out. Take that up there, and leave your current gen stuff at home so you won't be tempted to play it all the time. College is about having fun and meeting new people :D

[quote name='level1online']Go with a cheap $300 computer or $500 laptop, and download SNES, NES, Genesis, Neo Geo, & PSX roms to your heart's content. [/quote]

nintendo and sony frown upon that...lol...but that is the best way to get a variety of games if legality is not a major issue to you.

i personally would choose SNES though since it has the biggest library of quality games. second i'd choose a genesis.

Track down an FC-Twin if you can find one, NES and SNES on the same console, excluding duck hunt of course.

I would go SNES. It's my favorite system and I still have mine hooked up today. It gets played at least once a week. Plus you gotta love blowing in the cartridges

I'd get an SNES anyway, and leave a PSX at the house. The chicks can't resist being horrible at playing Mario, so much so that they go to your room all the time to get worse. And everyone is a winner.

[quote name='level1online']Go with a cheap $300 computer or $500 laptop, and download SNES, NES, Genesis, Neo Geo, & PSX roms to your heart's content.

Since you're going to college, a 360 is mandatory. Halo 3 lan parties....

In my days, it was mandatory to have Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1, console didn't matter.

Anyways, Get the Xbox Wireless Gaming Reciever for the computer. All You gotta do is bring back your controller when you come home.[/QUOTE]
Meh you could do all that on a modded psp and then its portable. And if you get a new psp you could hook it to the tv (assuming they hacked the new one m not sure).

A Dreamcast would be cheaper and it's SO cheap to get games for. (Cough)
I got a Dreamcast with 4 controllers for $40 at the Comic Con. Then I had a stack of 100 games that didn't cost me much at all (cough). It has some real gems too, Power Stone, Medieval, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (Perfect arcade port), SNK vs. Capcom 2.

If not, I say go Genesis, just get the 6 button controller or you'll hate the way the 3 button controller is.
Shining Force
Phantasy Star
Road Rash 1 & 2
Sonik the Hedgehog series
Skitchin'
Streets of Rage 1-3 (best beat em up game ever made)
Contra
Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition
Mortal Kombat with BLOOD!!!

bread's done
Back