To use the Classic Controller i have to attach it to the Wii-Mote?

captaincold

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I was reading the Iwata developer roundtables on Nintendo Europe & the following quote was made:

"Definitely. Existing games could also be played by simply attaching the Classic Controller."

I was under the impression that the Classic Controller was a "seperate" wireless controller.

Can anyone confirm this?

[quote name='lordwow']It's wireless... as it attaches to the wiimote. This also means it sucks on your wiimotes' battery.[/QUOTE]

Pardon my stupid questions but ....

It "attaches" to the wii-mote wirelessly?

The way that guy answered the question in my OP implies that the classic controller is similar to the Nunchuck, meaning a wire from it has to be connected to the wii-mote for it to work

[quote name='BlaqRenaissance']Yeah, it plugs into the wiimote a la the nunchuck.[/QUOTE]

Well, i guess i'm gonna stick with my Wavebird then.

I guess i should've figured that out considering the $20 price point of the Classic Controller.

Think of the Wiimote as wireless box. Anything you plug into it sends a signal to the Wii. So this would work or the Nun-chuck, Classic Controller, Gun, Vibrator, whatever.

I think it's stupid that they didn't just make the classic controller wireless but it also saves on costs, I guess.

But luckily we can use Wavebirds still for all non-Wii games on the Wii.:)

[quote name='Vinny']I think it's stupid that they didn't just make the classic controller wireless but it also saves on costs, I guess.

But luckily we can use Wavebirds still for all non-Wii games on the Wii.:)[/quote]
Exactly. I'd rather pay for the Bluetooth connection once in the Wiimote than several times over in separate controllers.

Can you imagine the outcry these boards would have if there was a $35 wireless Classic Controller?

Good heavens.

But why would they make it plug into the Wiimote? If your going to have a wired cord, you might as well make it attach to the console so it doesn't waste batteries. And is there even rumble this way? If it attaches to the console, the console would feed it energy a la Dual Shock. But since its attached to the Wiimote, it will use the batteries wireless connection along with rumble? That would make the battery life too short.

[quote name='Kendro']But why would they make it plug into the Wiimote? If your going to have a wired cord, you might as well make it attach to the console so it doesn't waste batteries. And is there even rumble this way? If it attaches to the console, the console would feed it energy a la Dual Shock. But since its attached to the Wiimote, it will use the batteries wireless connection along with rumble? That would make the battery life too short.[/quote]You could argue the same for the nunchuk, but it doesn't make any sense.

Is this really an issue?

[quote name='Kendro']But why would they make it plug into the Wiimote? If your going to have a wired cord, you might as well make it attach to the console so it doesn't waste batteries. And is there even rumble this way? If it attaches to the console, the console would feed it energy a la Dual Shock. But since its attached to the Wiimote, it will use the batteries wireless connection along with rumble? That would make the battery life too short.[/QUOTE]

There is a cable that connects the classic controller to the Wiimote. From there, you can attach the Wiimote to the back of the classic controller. There is a clip on the back of the controller so the Wiimote can snap in. This way, when the Wiimote rumbles, it will rumble the classic controller. So, technically, yes, there's a wire that goes from one to the other, but then you just snap them both together and the wire stays hidden and you're essentially playing with a wireless controller.

As much as I love the wavebird, I think the classic controller has got a great design to it and if the Wiimote fits very close on the back, it will definitely be my new go-to controller for retro gaming.

I just can't imagine why anyone would want a Classic Controller connected to their Wiimote, instead of just using a Wavebird.

This also means that if you don't have 4 Wiimotes (which is likely considering how expensive they are), then you can't play with 4 classic controllers either.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I just can't imagine why anyone would want a Classic Controller connected to their Wiimote, instead of just using a Wavebird.

This also means that if you don't have 4 Wiimotes (which is likely considering how expensive they are), then you can't play with 4 classic controllers either.[/quote]True, but I would imagine people would be more likely to gear up for 4-player Wii games than 4-player SNES games. And as soon as you're just talking about the Wiimotes, that's only $40, which is certainly not expensive, relatively speaking. That only comes into play when you count the nunchuk.

Even then, if you only have 2 Wiimotes and 2 classic controllers, fill in the remaining spots with GC controllers/Wavebirds and you're set.

[quote name='botticus']True, but I would imagine people would be more likely to gear up for 4-player Wii games than 4-player SNES games.

Even then, if you only have 2 Wiimotes and 2 classic controllers, fill in the remaining spots with GC controllers/Wavebirds and you're set.[/QUOTE]

But if you are already using Wavebirds or other GC controllers, what do you need the classic controllers for?

[quote name='PenguinMaster']But if you are already using Wavebirds or other GC controllers, what do you need the classic controllers for?[/quote]Assuming you don't have four GC controllers.

I prefer the Classic due to the button layout. And the d-pad. Plus its only $20. Although ironically, the GC controller seems better suited for N64 games.

[quote name='Kendro']I prefer the Classic due to the button layout. And the d-pad. Plus its only $20. Although ironically, the GC controller seems better suited for N64 games.[/QUOTE]

You say it's "only $20" but it's not hard to find a Wavebird for less than that.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I just can't imagine why anyone would want a Classic Controller connected to their Wiimote, instead of just using a Wavebird.[/quote]D-pad + button layout. The Hori digital pad comes close, but retains the the Cube's unorthodox button layout on the right side, and is wired.

I'm thinking I'll use the GC controller for N64 titles as DualShock-esque analog stick placement bothers me, but the Dpad on GC controllers is horrific, as is the general button layout when you get into SNES titles.

And, comeon. It has translucent buttons!

EDIT: And I'd prefer not to have those comparatively unsightly Wavebird receivers jammed into the top of the Wii all the time. :)

[quote name='daroga']I'm thinking I'll use the GC controller for N64 titles as DualShock-esque analog stick placement bothers me, but the Dpad on GC controllers is horrific, as is the general button layout when you get into SNES titles.
[/QUOTE]

Personally I think the best solution for playing older games is using a PS-GC controller adaptor and a Logitech Cordless Action. But if you don't already have those things (I do), than it would obviously be cheaper to buy a classic controller.

The Wiimote has the blue-tooth built into it. Everything else does not. That's why all the accessories for the system are going to be cheaper than they would be for other systems.

Penguinmaster,

what is the name of the ps2==>gcn converter you use? I am actually looking for one, but don't want a generic one.

Thanks.

I was thinking about this earlier, doesn't it bother anyone that they're going to have a Wiimote dangling from their controller while they play? Seems to me it might be a little annoying.

[quote name='pete5883']I was thinking about this earlier, doesn't it bother anyone that they're going to have a Wiimote dangling from their controller while they play? Seems to me it might be a little annoying.[/quote]
Unless you're standing up, there will be no dangling. The cord will be long enough to just have the wiimote sitting next to you. (or, I believe you can attach the CC to the Wiimote, but that does sound annoying to me). It'll be no different than it is playing with a corded controller right now... except the cord won't be strewn across your living room waiting to trip the next passerby that... passes by.

For me, it's the best of wireless and wired (no cord to console + cheaper price). I could see someon arguning that it's the worst of both, too, though.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I just can't imagine why anyone would want a Classic Controller connected to their Wiimote, instead of just using a Wavebird.[/QUOTE]
but it's so perty :roll:

[quote name='PenguinMaster']You say it's "only $20" but it's not hard to find a Wavebird for less than that.[/QUOTE]

Any places in particular? I may as well pick up two.

[quote name='pete5883']I was thinking about this earlier, doesn't it bother anyone that they're going to have a Wiimote dangling from their controller while they play? Seems to me it might be a little annoying.[/quote]

Shouldn't bother you at all. Aesthetically, there isn't a difference between having a cord connect to the console or the remote. My problem is that since there is going to be a cord in the first place, it should connect to the console. It can draw power and rumble from the console and not drain the Wiimote.

And no, it isn't the same as the Nunchuk. Of course it is awesome the Nunchuk connects to the Wiimote for true wireless play and I wouldn't want it any other way. But I don't need wireless when I'm playing VC games. That's why if they are going to have a cord, it should just connect to the console.

[quote name='Kendro']Shouldn't bother you at all. Aesthetically, there isn't a difference between having a cord connect to the console or the remote. My problem is that since there is going to be a cord in the first place, it should connect to the console. It can draw power and rumble from the console and not drain the Wiimote.

And no, it isn't the same as the Nunchuk. Of course it is awesome the Nunchuk connects to the Wiimote for true wireless play and I wouldn't want it any other way. But I don't need wireless when I'm playing VC games. That's why if they are going to have a cord, it should just connect to the console.[/quote]Fair enough :)

I'm glad to see Nintendo fully embrace the wireless controller tech, but I can see how battery consumption for playing Donkey Kong might be obnoxious. Though, I thought there was a site posted not too long ago (by Strell perhaps?) of really, really good prices on rechargable batteries. Am I making that up? If so, anyone have a link? Some cheap rechargeables would really help out for our respective Zelda marathons in 2 weeks. ;)

[quote name='Kendro']Shouldn't bother you at all. Aesthetically, there isn't a difference between having a cord connect to the console or the remote. My problem is that since there is going to be a cord in the first place, it should connect to the console. It can draw power and rumble from the console and not drain the Wiimote.

And no, it isn't the same as the Nunchuk. Of course it is awesome the Nunchuk connects to the Wiimote for true wireless play and I wouldn't want it any other way. But I don't need wireless when I'm playing VC games. That's why if they are going to have a cord, it should just connect to the console.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Why? Does your couch magically scoot closer to your console for VC games? For me, wireless is a comfort and convenience issue. Using the WaveBird and the Wii remote (and anything that attaches to the remote) means I don't have to deal with cords stretching across the room and can sit further from the screen (console) than I'd otherwise be required to. That doesn't change just because I'll be playing games made for an older console.

Or are you trying to emulate the original experience as closely as possible? ;)

My guess is that he meant that since the Wiimote needs to be moved around it'll be a hassel to keep it plugged in. With the Classic Controller, that is much less of an issue.

I think that people will fall in love with the Classic Controller once they play with it once or twice. A wireless SNES controller sounds like the best idea ever for older school gamers. The Classic Controller strikes me as potentially the best controller ever made. We'll see though.

How long would the cord be?I don't want to have the weight of the wiimote dangling off the controller, or swinging it around if I move...

Jesus.

How many times is this going to come up, and how many times am I going to have to say "there are clips on the back of the VC controller where the Wiimote plugs into, and thus there is no dangling" ?

[quote name='Strell']Jesus.

How many times is this going to come up, and how many times am I going to have to say "there are clips on the back of the VC controller where the Wiimote plugs into, and thus there is no dangling" ?[/QUOTE]

A lot of us know this, Strell, but it is still hard to envision this arrangement not being clunky or heavy. Even as small as the Wii-mote is, it's hard for me to imagine it clipping to the classic controller in such a way that you forget it's there.

I don't either, but I imagine you'll have a choice of clipping or dangling, and as others have pointed out, I doubt you'll be moving around a lot.

Beyond that, this is done to keep cost down, as the VC controller no longer needs to have wireless tech inside it - it just piggybacks off the Wiimote.

I kinda wish they'd stuck to their shell idea though. That would have made a little more sense to me.

[quote name='Tybee']A lot of us know this, Strell, but it is still hard to envision this arrangement not being clunky or heavy. Even as small as the Wii-mote is, it's hard for me to imagine it clipping to the classic controller in such a way that you forget it's there.[/QUOTE]

There's far better places to clip that 'mote to anyway.

And body parts.

bread's done
Back