To Vita or not to Vita.

Komentra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
So, I bought a Vita around launch time. Threw down a lot of money for the Wifi version and a 16gb memory card and I played through a few games Uncharted, The Blob Game (The actual game name I can't remember off the top of my head).

I enjoyed both games and thought the Vita was a awesome device but it didn't take long for me to realize that there wasn't a thing to play and it was just a huge money sink so I quickly resold it for as much as I could.

So here comes the introduction of PS+ for Vita and now I'm very interested in getting one again but since the games are large in size I would want to get the 32gb card but the 32gb card alone is half the price of a used vita console which is ridiculous.

I'm willing to pay that though since all these great games are coming out on PS Plus but my one concern is the future of the Vita because of bad sells and everything. I also recently read a article that a lot of analysts are thinking come January if they don't see big holiday sales then Sony might shift their efforts somewhere else and deem the Vita a failure. (I read that in "The Daily" magazine)

So on one side I'm like "Get it! Even though it's ridiculous pricey!" and the other part is like "That's way to much money and it might not even be getting much support in the future".

I also looked up at upcoming releases for the Vita and there wasn't a whole lot that was interesting and if it was it was a Sony release which makes me concerned for third party support and all the big third party games like Call of Duty & Assassin's Creed have received either negative or alright review but nothing great.

So, yeah, wanting it purely because of PS Plus but how many games do they even have to release in the first place?

[quote name='Komentra']So, yeah, wanting it purely because of PS Plus but how many games do they even have to release in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Vita games? Not too many. But I think there will be a fair amount of free PSP games, so if you've never had a PSP before
and enjoy JRPG's
you'll be in for a treat.

Or just play a few games at a time with an 8gb card. You can just re-download games when you actually play them.

I decided to take a cruise through my trophies list to see just how many vita games I've played. This may not seem like a lot to some folks, but I average finishing one console game per two months, so it seems like a lot to me. And I like a lot of em, I still play HSG and Montezuma most every day. Not really trying to make a point other than it's been an ample number of games for me so far.

Total: 26 (since release)

Motorstorm RC
Uncharted GA
Lumines
Touch My Katmari
Blazblue
Super Stardust Delta
Little Deviants
MLB 12
Modnation Racers
Disgaea 3
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Sound Shapes
Mortal Kombat
Rayman Origins
Treasures of Montezuma Blitz
Army Corps of Hell
Zen Pinball 2
Hot Shots Golf
Virtua Tennis 4
Street Fighter X Tekken
Plants vs Zombies
Assassin's Creed Liberation
Jet Set Radio
Gravity Rush
Wipeout 2048
Tales From Space

[quote name='handsomepete']I decided to take a cruise through my trophies list to see just how many vita games I've played. This may not seem like a lot to some folks, but I average finishing one console game per two months, so it seems like a lot to me. And I like a lot of em, I still play HSG and Montezuma most every day. Not really trying to make a point other than it's been an ample number of games for me so far.

Motorstorm RC
Uncharted GA
Lumines
Touch My Katmari
Blazblue
Super Stardust Delta
Little Deviants
MLB 12
Modnation Racers
Disgaea 3
Sound Shapes
Mortal Kombat
Rayman Origins
Army Corps of Hell
Zen Pinball 2
Hot Shots Golf
Virtua Tennis 4
Street Fighter X Tekken
Plants vs Zombies
Jet Set Radio
Gravity Rush
Wipeout 2048
Tales From Space[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of games. There are plenty of games scheduled to be released. Their are plenty of Vita games in the PSN store. There are plenty of compatible PSP games in the PSN store.

People who say otherwise are biased towards a particular genre or franchise or are trolling.

[quote name='GBAstar']There are plenty of games. There are plenty of games scheduled to be released. Their are plenty of Vita games in the PSN store. There are plenty of compatible PSP games in the PSN store.

People who say otherwise are biased towards a particular genre or franchise or are trolling.[/QUOTE]

I agree 1000%.

There is something for everyone and then some. I have no idea how people who say otherwise function in real life. I mean what do you want, a handheld Skyrim?

Now I'm curious, so I took a look at the release calendar for Vita. here's stuff that's coming that I'd be willing to at least take for a spin:

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Dungeon Defenders (seems like a good fit for the platform)
Guacamelee!
Zone of Enders HD Collection
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Tearaway
Soul Sacrifice
Ratchet and Clank FFA
Rainbow Moon
Dragon's Crown

Also interested in Smart As and haven't gotten to dive in to Sine Mora outside of the demo but it plays swell on Vita.

I bought a VITA at launch with a 32GB memory card and haven't looked back. The best handheld I've ever owned to date (and I've had a lot gameboy on up). There are plenty of games to play. PS Plus is insane and between the PS3 and the VITA I feel as if I'm getting paid to play on Sony devices at this point. I know a lot of people are buying the 3DS but I haven't picked mine up much at all since owning a VITA and when I do it feels antiquated.

Assassin's Creed has a Metacritic of 70 with an 80 from users so it can't be all that horrible. Black Ops was a big miss in my opinion but it's not a title or franchise I play or care about so I'm not all too concerned.

I think most of the complaints stem from the whole "portable PS3" comments. It's amazing to me that a handheld would even be mentioned in the same breath as a now current console but if you are going to judge a VITA vs. a PS3 you might as well judge a 3DS vs. a 360 then too.

The truth is games like Uncharted and Gravity Rush are pretty damn awesome for a PORTABLE system and I'm a fan of having games like this on the go.

I can't, even, begin to explain how much more fun, comfortable, and easier it is to play Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max on this thing vs my PSP! Old game, I know. But, I play it a lot!

[quote name='GBAstar']There are plenty of games. There are plenty of games scheduled to be released. Their are plenty of Vita games in the PSN store. There are plenty of compatible PSP games in the PSN store.

People who say otherwise are biased towards a particular genre or franchise or are trolling.[/QUOTE]

Or followers. Following a trend of saying it has no games.

I agree, the Vita has more than enough great games to keep me happy (and busy). Picked up LBP Vita recently and I'm starting to think it might be my favorite handheld game ever. Amazing and just bursting at the seems with creativity.

[quote name='handsomepete']I decided to take a cruise through my trophies list to see just how many vita games I've played. This may not seem like a lot to some folks, but I average finishing one console game per two months, so it seems like a lot to me. And I like a lot of em, I still play HSG and Montezuma most every day. Not really trying to make a point other than it's been an ample number of games for me so far.

Motorstorm RC
Uncharted GA
Lumines
Touch My Katmari
Blazblue
Super Stardust Delta
Little Deviants
MLB 12
Modnation Racers
Disgaea 3
Sound Shapes
Mortal Kombat
Rayman Origins
Army Corps of Hell
Zen Pinball 2
Hot Shots Golf
Virtua Tennis 4
Street Fighter X Tekken
Plants vs Zombies
Jet Set Radio
Gravity Rush
Wipeout 2048
Tales From Space[/QUOTE]

Another game that is good for a few giggles and whatnot is Frobisher Says. It's free and is a Wario Ware clone. It's fun for a quick pick up with some friends too.

I'm in the same boat as the OP! I have never owned a PSP or a Vita!
I am interested in owning either a PSP or a Vita for remote play, trophies (Vita)
I liked all of the bundles offered recently but am concerned about Vita's future!
I am hoping for another great bundle offer or minor price drop (even if its just on
Memory) by Christmas or early next year!

Decided on getting one. If i want one, might as well get one if I can afford it.

Going to grab a used one on eBay for around 170 and then some time down the line grab a 32gb Memory Card. Plus, I already have a crap ton of PS1 games downloaded and I have PS+ so I should have stuff to play once i grab a memory card.

EDIT: How does cross play work exactly? I bought Retro City Rampage for PS3 and I know you get a vita version so Im assuming you just download it but how does it work with retail games?

Only you can answer those questions TS, but for me, a Vita for $180 in the Amazon deal was a no-brainer. So far, I know I'll enjoy Assassin's Creed: Liberation and Uncharted, and I'm about an hour and a half into Gravity Rush, which is unexpectedly awesome. There's also another 10 or so games I'd like to get besides the other free games I got from PS+ and some PSP games I never played, so to me, there's plenty to occupy my time.

Add in that this is now my preferred mobile Netflix device and that I can transfer video files from my PC wirelessly and watch them on the go, too (I'm a huge MMA fan and I have tons of events on my PC to watch), and it's an awesome device. But again, it's up to you and if you already sold your first one, it may not be your cup of tea.

[quote name='natureboy46']I agree, the Vita has more than enough great games to keep me happy (and busy). Picked up LBP Vita recently and I'm starting to think it might be my favorite handheld game ever. Amazing and just bursting at the seems with creativity.[/QUOTE]

LBP Vita is easily the best entry in the series.

I'll..."To Vita" immediately if these titles are released on the Vita:

Valkyria Chronicles 3 (I'll be fine and take just English subtitles.)

- I won't mind if these appeared on the 3DS either. -
Shenmue I & II
Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast music, Gamecube extras included.)

"Not to Vita."
Being broke for games most of the time.
Vita not having A/V out or playing Vita games on a television using a PS3/remote play backwards.

I think the Vita is a great device. Lots of quality games out there regardless of what some people think. Ps plus adds another dimension to it with free content and discounts. Especially the music unlimited which is i think 12 euro for a year at the minute for use on loads of devices!

The downside to the vita are the memory cards which in Europe are very expensive and very hard to find good deals on other than pre-owned ones.

I hope with all these black friday deals in the US and with the increased advertising here in Europe (germany) that we are having at the minute then the future for the vita could be good.

I mean a handheld in which you can play 90 euros worth of content via Plus for a 50 euro a year fee is not too shabby if you ask me

PSN ID is mwrizzle88 Add me if you like and let me know your from CAG
(getting playstation allstars and foosball today once my gamestop sends me the bloody voucher ;-) )

OP here. My Wifi/3G Vita that I purchased off eBay arrived today, was only $175 and it's in great condition (don't even need a 3G version but it was the cheapest on eBay). Just put in my 32gb memory card and am now copying my PS+ downloads from my PS3 to the Vita and have Persona Golden coming later today via Amazon :D

Never played a Persona game either but I see theres a lot of love for it and this seems to be the best version so.

ok, so ive got gamestop credit, probably going to get the assassins creed bundle tomorrow, which free game should i get? spy hunter or lego batman 2? never really played any of the lego games but im not really too thrilled about spy hunter either, anybody have an opinion between the two?

Get the game that sells in the open market for highest and dump it at the cheapest price before prices fall farther. I would just toss it on Amazon Market at the lowest current price and see if someone bites.

[quote name='ritchardf']ok, so ive got gamestop credit, probably going to get the assassins creed bundle tomorrow, which free game should i get? spy hunter or lego batman 2? never really played any of the lego games but im not really too thrilled about spy hunter either, anybody have an opinion between the two?[/QUOTE]

Sign up for PS Plus and play Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Wipeout, and Jet Set Radio which are good games. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure your Vita purchase will come with one month of PS Plus anyways. It's just a matter of having the memory.

[quote name='ritchardf']ok, so ive got gamestop credit, probably going to get the assassins creed bundle tomorrow, which free game should i get? spy hunter or lego batman 2? never really played any of the lego games but im not really too thrilled about spy hunter either, anybody have an opinion between the two?[/QUOTE]

I've heard that spy hunter is trash. At least the Lego games are consistent.

[quote name='handsomepete']I've heard that spy hunter is trash. At least the Lego games are consistent.[/QUOTE]

Lmfao! I was looking it up on YouTube the other day because I saw the GS sale. I hope it's a port of some old game. HORRENDOUS if it's any gen after SNES.

bread's done
Back