TODAY is free comic book day.

gargus

Banned
All comic shops on may 1st will be giving out free comic books as a industry promotion. So if you want some free comics stop by your local shop and grab some as they are usually the only way you can get some of them as they are limited issues to this day only. http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

If you happen to live in southern ohio or northern kentucky you can stop by my shop Ill be working at on saturday in florence ky called comic book world. http://comicbookworld.com/home.html as we will have a storewide sale going on and some other stuff happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP, may have to stop in my local shop. I would recommend people use the store locator to check because not every shop participates.

Only one shop near me, hand they have the weirdest hours, so I probably won't be able to go. (They open at 3pm to 9pm, I work 12pm to 8pm, so I might be able to make it, but it's doubtful.)

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I have a local shop that is participating... do you just go and ask about it or what?[/QUOTE]

usually they have stuff setting out and they have limits. "one from this section, one from this one, 2 from here, ect."

[quote name='gargus']All comic shops on may 1st will be giving out free comic books as a industry promotion. [/QUOTE]

Not all stores. Comic stores still have to buy the "free" comics to give away, and every year the free comics get more expensive and usually get smaller.

Some stores can't afford it.

As mayor I think you should do something about this.

I always see this day as a good excuse to go into the shop
and spend some money, maybe I can trick my girl into going with me for the freebies and buy some of the goods.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']usually they have stuff setting out and they have limits. "one from this section, one from this one, 2 from here, ect."[/QUOTE]

Yeah like my shop we clear the backwall where the weeks new stuff is at and lay them all out so people can walk back and pick out what they want. Or just call them and ask if they aredoing it.

[quote name='Haggar']Not all stores. Comic stores still have to buy the "free" comics to give away, and every year the free comics get more expensive and usually get smaller.

Some stores can't afford it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah poor wording on my part. I was thinking in my head that all shops CAN take part in it since its a industry wide day.

Was in a hurry to post it since I put this up the night before at the last minute, just didnt dawn on me to post this earlier in the week.

Picked up a couple of free comics for my daughter at our local Hastings store. I would assume all Hasting stores have the free comics.

The smaller comic shop my mom used to work at (The Great Escape) always is great on Free Comic Day. I got two of the 'free' comics provided, and then a table of about twelve 'free' comics from past years, and three back issues from about forty piles (so about 16 comics from there) and from the bigger comic shop four of the free provided comics... So about 20 comics today for free. I wish I had some cash to have bought some and helped out the smaller shop, but I'm just broke.

Just got back. Picked up 6 of the free ones, as well as the first issues of Brightest Day and Flash BD and some random picks from a $1 bin. It was a lot of fun, will go back some other time

Just got back from one, my sister works there. I brought my nieces, nephew, and mom and they got lots and lots of comic books. They also did a raffle ticket thing, I won a backpack, my niece won a Marvel Encyclopedia value of $100, and mom won a case of Yugioh cards. We got like over 50 free comics since my sister worked there. Plus they had this spin the wheel type of deal where you can win small prizes too plus you get a ticket for free slice of pizza and small soda from the place next door regardless if you win or not. Everyone just kept on getting in line for that and stacking up prizes and pizza/drinks. The most expensive thing they gave I think cost over $500. My girl was dressed up as Catwoman, my sis as Batgirl, and my girl's friend as Princess Leia, and there were Robin girl and Poison Iva with straight up cleavage, very nice. They got paid $100 each for dressing up and being there for like 6 hours. Looking forward for next years.

Stopped by the only comic shop I know near me and got 5 free ones. They were running a nice sale on TPBs so picked up several of those as well.

Got mine and all back issues under $5 were a dollar!! Picked up $120 worth of comics for about $30. WOOOOOO!!!!

Scored the following from Hastings and Heroes Legacy (Comic Shop):

HEROES LEGACY
- World of Aspen
- The Stuff of Legend/City of Bones
- The Oni Press Free For All
- The Tick
- Atomic Robo
- The Sixth Gun
- Radical: Welcome to R Universe
- Shrek/The Penguins of Madagascar
- Yow
- Artifacts

HASTINGS
- Green Hornet
- DC Kids
- Owly and Friends
- GI Joe
- Iron Man Nova
- Iron Man THor
- Fractured Fables
- Bongo Comics Free -For-All
- Doctor Solar: Man of the Atom/Magnus: Robot Fighter
- War of Superman
- Archie's Summer Splash
- Sonic Hide & Seek & Destroy
- Fraggle Rock/Mouse Guard

Also Heroes Legacy had the following back issues for free too:

- Hulk #14
- Dark Wolverine #77
- Dark Avengers #8
- The New Avengers #56
- Deadpool #14
- Wolverine First Class #8
- The Incredible Hulk #601
- Dark X-Men #3 of 3
- Wolverine Origins #39
- The Dark Tower #4 of 6
- Secret Warriors #7
- The Heroic Age: Marvel Previews (Was suppose to be free w/ purchase of PREVIEWS, but owner threw it in when he bagged my freebies and purchased comics)

So 34 Free Comics ain't too shabby.

My wife let me sleep in today and then our little girl came in and woke me up. She wanted me to read her the Toy Story comic we got for free yesterday. We got her the Fraggle Rock and Toy Story comics. My wife was out later and got me the free GI Joe comic when she bought me a couple of Star War Bobble heads that were on sale at Hastings.

Good move by the industry to reach people that don't otherwise have any interest in comic books. Free comics = win.

[quote name='iluvmywife']
Good move by the industry to reach people that don't otherwise have any interest in comic books. Free comics = win.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, it doesn't generate into any new customers. In the 8 years we've been doing it, we'll get our regular customers coming in for free comics, which is cool, and a few kids who maybe have never read a comic, which is awesome. But for the most part it's just idiots looking for free shit. They don't care what it is, as long as it's free. They won't come back until next year when there is more free stuff, they're just there to grab whatever they can. Doesn't matter if they don't like it or will never read it, it's free so I'll take 4 of each.

I've actually had people come in and pick up all the free comics and say "What else is free?" and I'll say "You have all the free ones, but if you like those there's a bunch of others available for sale." and they'll get mad because it's "false advertising" and "all comics should be free if you call it 'Free Comic Book Day' ".

I've had people come in and say "I don't like comics, what else is free?" and I say "well, nothing. It's Free Comic Book Day" and they're like "Comics are stupid. Can I have free candy? Can I have free action figures?"

But I think the best was the mother and 2 daughters that came in every week for 2 months and picked up the free Archie comic from Free Comic Book Day a few years ago. See, we used to order extra copies so we would have more throughout the year and hopefully attract new readers.

After 8 weeks of the mother and 2 daughters coming in and taking the same exact free comic every week, the mother threw up her hands and said "We've been coming here for WEEKS. When are you going to get different FREE Archies!" So I explained to her the whole idea behind Free Comic Book Day, and how it was to attract new readers who would hopefully BUY the next issue, not come in every week and take another free copy of a comic they already have 8 of. I explained we had many comics for sale, and that Free Comic Book Day is a once a year treat. She never bought a single comic, just expected new free comics every week.

tl;dr: Comic shops actually pay for Free Comics.

That's terrible. At my store, they had someone watch the table of books so hopefully they didn't get the same kind of idiots you had to deal with. I admit that I only stop by on FCBD, but I always make sure to spend some money since I know it does come outta the stores' pockets.

Comic stores have to pay for all the free comics. Personally? I don't care if people come in and take free comics but can't afford to buy anything else. Times are rough, and maybe they'll come back to buy some stuff they read and liked when and if things improve.

I just can't stand people who come in and have no interest in comics, but will take piles of shit because it's free.

When someone comes in and really wants and will read and enjoy the comics, I'll trip over myself to help them and give them all the free comics I have. I don't care if they've never read a comic before, I don't care if they don't spend a dime in my store that day. If they're *interested* in a comic that's still a potential customer down the road. It's just idiots who don't have an interest in comics and only come in to grab multiple copies of everything because it's "free" that pisses me off.

bread's done
Back