Tonsillectomy

PsovazHunter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Going on my second infection in my right tonsil, met with my ENT doctor today and he scheduled me to have my tonsils removed due to chronic infections.. The surgery is June 7, has anyone had this done as an adult? How awful was it?

I had it done like 4 years ago. I am not gonna lie, it sucks, but it has been worth it not getting tonsilitis several times a year.

Basically feels like an intense sore throat, which I am sure you know how feels. Lasted that way for about a week. I was out of work three weeks but most of the discomfort was gone by the second.

I had a deviated septum fixed at the same time. That was worse than the tonsillectomy.

There's nothing bad about tonsillectomies. I had one when I was 8, back when they used scalpels. It took me a week to recover my voice. My wife got it done a few years ago, with the lasers, and she had her voice when we were home, and she was able to eat easily within a day or two, but it can also depend on your recovery ability too of course.

[quote name='Gden']There's nothing bad about tonsillectomies. I had one when I was 8, back when they used scalpels. It took me a week to recover my voice. My wife got it done a few years ago, with the lasers, and she had her voice when we were home, and she was able to eat easily within a day or two, but it can also depend on your recovery ability too of course.[/QUOTE]
They still use the scalpel for tonsillectomies. The laser procedures are for tonsil reduction and such, i believe.

I had mine out when I was 25... the procedure is relatively quick, although my surgery took an extra 45 minutes due to excessive bleeding (no lie). It was also the first time I was ever "put under", and after the surgery, I was in and out of consciousness for the next six hours.

I'll be honest, your throat will be hurting afterwards. It will be difficult to swallow, and equally as difficult to speak coherently. However, the first 24 hours after the surgery, you'll likely sleep through. Afterwards, just make sure you have lots of Jell-O and crushed ice. I ate more Jell-O than I have in my entire life. The pain meds they give you are quite excellent too.

You'll be amazed by how quickly you heal. Yes... your throat will hurt, but it's totally worth it. After having mine removed, I now only get one or two sore throats a year... and they only last a day or so.

About the procedure. The physician will place a retractor to hold your mouth open. He then will use a curved allis clamp to grasp the tonsil. Either left or right depending what he or she likes to start with. Then a "bovie" pencil or better known as electrocautery is used to remove the tonsils themselves. Then most if not all physicians will use an ablator to cauterize and "seal" the wounds. Then most physicians will apply a local anesthetic at the end of the procedure like hurricane spray. Recovery can be anywhere from two to six weeks depending on the patient. Pain levels also depend on the patient and the technique used by the physicain for the procedure. Most if not all patients report it a "really painful", but return to work after about two weeks.

I thought everybody had their tonsils out when there are little kids?

Didn't your parents have cash money to do it? Did some of you just get braces, too?

At 32 I still have mine because I didn't start developing chronic tonilitis until my early 20's. I get it 3 or 4 times a year, typically coinciding with seasonal changes.
Just hope that you get some oxy or percocette to keep you entertained while you're on bed rest. God I love that stuff.

[quote name='2DMention']I thought everybody had their tonsils out when there are little kids?

Didn't your parents have cash money to do it? Did some of you just get braces, too?[/QUOTE]

Love it when 2DMention tries to give people grief while using such charming grammar.

"I thought everybody had their tonsils out when there are little kids?

[quote name='niceguyshawne']
I had a deviated septum fixed at the same time. That was worse than the tonsillectomy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I had the septoplasty plus turbinate reduction and polyp removal back in in late February. That sucked, felt awful for 2 weeks, and was probably close to 5-6 weeks before I started to feel near 100%.

Still have my tonsils, so I can't comment on that.

[quote name='2DMention']I thought everybody had their tonsils out when there are little kids?

Didn't your parents have cash money to do it? Did some of you just get braces, too?[/QUOTE]

Not everyone needs their tonsils removed.

bread's done
Back