Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD

RELISCH

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
So, basically a new HD Tony Hawk that contains THPS1 and THPS 2 maps.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRk5B3pRh4g

Tony talking about the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RUG8ThVUhc

Screenshots:

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imag...aterHD/THPS_HD_Screenshot_2_Mullen_manual.jpg

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/activision/tonyhawk/HD/tonyhawkHD610.jpg

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imag...D_Screenshot_4_Hawk_nosegrind_quarterpipe.jpg

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imag...SkaterHD/THPS_HD_Screenshot_7_Huston_flip.jpg

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imag.../THPS_HD_Screenshot_3_Mullen_shoveit_vert.jpg

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imag...terHD/THPS_HD_Screenshot_5_Hawk_fside_air.jpg

Features(that we know):

- Classic joystick controls
- Classic Maps

Pros in the Game(that we know):
- Chris Cole
- Rodney Mullen
- Andrew Reynolds
- Tony Hawk
- Eric Koston
- Nyjah Houston

Wishlist:
- Online play that matches THAW's formula
- Leaderboards
- DLC
- New Soundtrack.

Levels(confirmed):
- Warehouse
- School 2
- Mall
- Phoenix
- Hangar
- Marseilles
- Venice

I honestly am very excited, especially if it has those things. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the soundtracks from the old games, but I doubt they'd still have the licenses for those. I hope they bring back those songs, are at least music from that era.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']They already tried this with Pro Skater 2x. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, and that game was fine 10 years ago, so no reason not to give it another shot now.

Oh look it's the good Tony Hawk games before the series became utter trash.

What was this like 10 games ago?

Ah childhood memories...

My personal favorites were THPS1 and 3

I'm definitely picking this up. Hopefully, if it sells well, it'll motivate them continue to make more Tony Hawk games in this style in the future.

Depending on the levels, I'll probably buy it.

And 2X is the best Tony Hawk of them all (with the S controller).

I agree with everyone else that with 2X, this isn't needed. I still play the entire career modes for THPS 1 and 2 on 2X once a year.

[quote name='Ziv']I'm hoping for Capt Price from CoD now that you mention guest characters.[/QUOTE]

actually spiderman was really in the original game on playstation. You could select him and play every course with him, hell there was even a secrete video of real life tony hawk dressed as spiderman doing awesome moves including the 900 as spiderman.

[quote name='iamsmart']I hope Bobby Kotick is in it. As a grind rail. I would grind the shit out of that rail.[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Game sounds fun though, I'll probably bite after a price drop or two.

The first two games (played on DC of course) were amazing.

[quote name='Survivalism']I have never been so offended in my life.[/QUOTE] Yeah, the games would lose their nostalgic factor for me without the original soundtracks.

[quote name='Survivalism']I have never been so offended in my life.[/QUOTE]

Same.

It will be a shame if they don't retain the original music.

So it's out, on 360 at least.

It's weird, I actually was up at 5 and figured I'd buy it right when it went up. I even messaged Senor Cheapy about it since I saw him playing it and it wasn't actually up yet (since review codes need not abide by things like official releases). So I download the demo since the full game was only returning an error code message (which I'd hope is fixed by now). Played through it once to make myself remember how it plays, then a few more times. Tried to unlock the full game, same error code. Went and watched the Giant Bomb quick look that just went up & decided I don't think I want it anymore.

So thank you error message. The level selection just isn't enough (not to mention pretty questionable...two downhill levels when there aren't many levels in the first place??). I'll wait for a sale, at which point some THPS 3 levels will be up as DLC.

It's funny, I was thinking a similar thing. This game isn't going to hold up like it does in my head so a couple of runs in the demo will give me all the nostolgia I need.

i've been playing this for a little while and its kinda fun but its def not as smooth as the original games plus the graphics look really dark kind of like gears of war a bit. u can play as your xbox live avatar though so thats pretty cool

The demo sucks. Only letting you play a minute and a half before telling you to buy the game? What the hell? I wanted to actually mess around a bit before deciding to buy.

Wow, lots of buyers remorse.

My download just finished. I'm going in with a positive outlook.

It's pretty much what I remember, but yeah, WTF @ only letting you play a minute and a half and forcing you to the main menu or "buy" screen. Just for that alone I'm likely not to buy this game. At 800 points this is an insta-purchase, but at 1200 I'll just wait for the sale.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']The demo sucks. Only letting you play a minute and a half before telling you to buy the game? What the hell? I wanted to actually mess around a bit before deciding to buy.[/QUOTE]

Because if you could play the demo for even 5 minutes you'd probably realize you don't need to actually buy the game. As I mentioned above I was hoping to hit the demo for a bit and get my fix that way and they made it so I can't.

[quote name='HydroX']To those who have bought it, is there a free play option? Or are you fixed to the 2:00 time limit?[/QUOTE]

Yes there is free play

I am in the regret camp. This game isn't very good. It totally lacks the "fluidity" of the Tony Hawk games. It is super floaty, falling and reseting seems to take longer than it should, spins are damned slow even when stats are bumped up (in fact all moves seem a bit slower), clipping is terrible and it has some dumb UI things - getting to the map with icons is a 2 step process and just feels off. My guess is the Unreal Engine simply isn't good for this game.

If you plan an getting this for Xbox 360. Save your money and get THPS 2X instead. It is backward compat, dirt cheap and much better.

and the reviews that say "hey, it's just like the original but prettier" are simply dishonest.

[quote name='usickenme']I am in the regret camp. This game isn't very good. It totally lacks the "fluidity" of the Tony Hawk games. It is super floaty, falling and reseting seems to take longer than it should, spins are damned slow even when stats are bumped up (in fact all moves seem a bit slower), clipping is terrible and it has some dumb UI things - getting to the map with icons is a 2 step process and just feels off. My guess is the Unreal Engine simply isn't good for this game.

If you plan an getting this for Xbox 360. Save your money and get THPS 2X instead. It is backward compat, dirt cheap and much better.

and the reviews that say "hey, it's just like the original but prettier" are simply dishonest.[/QUOTE]
i agree with this, all of the Tony Hawk games for xbox are playable on the 360 so just get 2x,3,4 and THUG instead

FWIW, the DLC will be 5 bucks but it'll only have 3 levels. Canada, Airport, and Los Angeles.

I've seen other people (not here) accusing THPS HD of being a DLC platform masquerading as a full game, but I don't know about that. I think they'll probably release those 3 levels and then just forget about it, unless it has incredible sales numbers.

I swear I read an article on IGN where Tony Hawk himself stated that he would like the game to be a "platform" (much like how Rock Band for music than just the base game).

I for one would be thrilled by that. 5 bucks for 3 levels is actually pretty cheap imho, and if they add new music with each pack too, I could see this being really cool (though I'd almost prefer 2.00 for one level, so people can pick and choose individual levels, or buy the pack for 5.00)

Not that bad, I mainly bought for the THPS3 DLC which is coming up. The game isn't that good but I still enjoy it and at only $15 it's not too bad.

Played the trial on the day it came out and wasn't too impressed. I played the shit out of THPS 1-4 and couldn't do without the revert and the levels in this release.

The full game is much better than the trial is. The gameplay seemed a bit off when i first played but I got used to it. I also don't really like the lack of revert but I will definitely pick up the THPS3 DLC and it will be in there :)

I was really excited about playing this. I was a HUGE fan of this series from the original up to Underground 1. After the reviews I read, I think I'll just go to Gamestop and buy the first four games for 1.99 a piece and keep them in my library this time for when I have nostalgia urges.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I was really excited about playing this. I was a HUGE fan of this series from the original up to Underground 1. After the reviews I read, I think I'll just go to Gamestop and buy the first four games for 1.99 a piece and keep them in my library this time for when I have nostalgia urges.[/QUOTE]

Why not download the demo and judge it for yourself?

I personally do not like the HD remake, but a lot of people seem to.

[quote name='Scorch']Why not download the demo and judge it for yourself?

I personally do not like the HD remake, but a lot of people seem to.[/QUOTE]

I actually just went ahead and bought it just for the hell of it.

When I first played it, I thought it sucked. The controls are iffy (yet I blame the 360 d-pad for a lot of this), the physics are way off, the game is a lot slower, and the speed feels much slower too. Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I popped in THPS3 in my PS2 and yep, the HD remake is definitely off. The engine change has to be the reason for it.

The game is glitchy too and I kept falling through the floor. The music selection could have been much more extensive too. However, after playing the game for about an hour and getting the feel of it, I definitely still enjoy it. It isn't half as fast or fluid as the originals, but it works. The game isn't awful but it is still a disappointment. Maybe they'll patch it and fix some issues?

I wish this game was on the PS Vita, for goodness sake it needs it. I could so see the rear control panel application is use in this game.

bread's done
Back