Top 5 MUST HAVE games for a new owner?

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
I just picked up the DS Lite since it is on sale at Radio Shack and I need games. I had a DS Lite about 3-4 years ago but go rid of it. I'm not a big old-school RPG fan so with that in mind, suggestions?

Since a lot of people are replying, I've decided to create a Top 5 list based on how frequently games have been suggested.

Top 5 "MUST HAVE" games for new Nintendo DS owners

• Mario Kart DS
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Pokémon series (HG/SS or D/P)
  • Professor Layton series
  • Ace Attorney series
Honorable mentions:
Tetris DS
Meteos
Legend of Kage 2
The World Ends With You
Space Invaders Extreme
Planet Puzzle League
Kirby Canvas Curse
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Clubhouse Games
Hotel Dusk
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Castlevania
Kingdom Hearts
Super Scribblenauts
Legend of Zelda
Metroid Prime Pinball
Mario & Luigi
Yoshi's Island DS
Rhythm Heaven
Puzzlequest
Elite Beat Agents
Dragon Quest
Sonic
Dragon Ball Origins
Golden Sun Dark Dawn
Super Mario 64 DS

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to recommend Planet Puzzle League, but it looks like it's out of print and has shot up in price. Tetris DS is in a similar boat, as is Meteos. As far as in-print puzzle games go, Picross 3D is supposed to be outstanding, but I haven't played it yet.

Anyway, here's some other recs that are in-print and/or easy to find for a decent price. Most of what I play on the system is RPGs, so there's just four games on here:
- The World Ends With You (an action RPG that's unique and fast-paced)
- Mario Kart DS
- Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
- Space Invaders Extreme

My "spare no expense" list:
- The World Ends With You
- Planet Puzzle League
- Kirby Canvas Curse
- Mario Kart DS
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

The Professor Layton series is amazing. I'm playing through them now and I don't want to put down the DS.

I'd check out Kingdom Hearts as well, along with Hotel Dusk, Ace Attorney, Super Scribblenauts, New Super Mario Brothers, and a slew of others...

Hotel Dusk
New Super Mario Bros.
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Tetris DS
Ping Pals

Don't actually get Ping Pals

Metroid Prime Pinball (seriously - it also comes with the Rumble Pak)
any of the Mario & Luigi RPG games
Yoshi's Island DS

Layton Series
Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver
Mario Kart DS
Phoenix Wright Series
Rhythm Heaven

And the rest are my other top picks but not quite MUST HAVE

Puzzlequest: Challenge of the Warlords
Elite Beat Agents
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Sonic Rush/Rush Adventure/Colors
Dragon Ball Origins
Castlevania Series

And metroid prime pinball is actually quite good, most games don't support the rumble pack though.

So, I used to watch Pokémon as a kid...haven't followed it at all for about 10+ years now. What's the best Pokémon game to get for the DS at this point?

Top 5 DS Must Have games... Hmm. That's tough. Here's my suggestions (prices are for reference only, unless magically some of them are still in effect, or if stated they are current/current-ish):

-A Professor Layton game (any of the 3). The entire collection (3 different games) has been up for $66 or $63 recently ($18/$18/$30 and $21/$21/$21) at Amazon.
-A Pokemon game (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/Soulsilver, doesn't really matter... recommend HG or SS though, although it's $40)
-A Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, or similar game. FF: 4 Heroes of Light has been ~$15-16 multiple times recently (Black Friday and once before), KH 258/2 Days is about $25 at Amazon, but has dropped to $15 before (Black Friday weekend). I also have Final Fantasy 3, but haven't played it much, so I can't really say.
-A Legend of Zelda game: Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass doesn't really matter, they're both really good and really well done from what I understand. I got Spirit Tracks this past week: $18 at Amazon
-Golden Sun Dark Dawn or Dragon Quest IX (also notable: Dragon Quest IV). They're both pretty new so getting them below retail might be difficult. DQ9 was just $15 at Kmart if you purchased it with Golden Sun; it's also been $17 at Target and Amazon on Black Friday or $20 at Amazon on Cyber Monday.

Honorable Mentions:
-Super Mario 64 DS
-Mario Kart DS (I'd say this is a must have since I'm a MK freak, but it's still $35 new almost everywhere, and it's ancient).
-New Super Mario Bros
-Fossil Fighters (~$11 at Amazon, it's apparently a good PKMN clone)
-Sands of Destruction

The best idea really is to just go to Metacritic's DS scores list, find ones that sound like they are what you like, and buy them.

So I picked up Pokemon SoulSilver and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. When I get a bit of extra money I'll look at a few others you all listed.

[quote name='Altanis']
-Super Mario 64 DS
-Mario Kart DS
-New Super Mario Bros[/QUOTE]

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow[/QUOTE]

These and maybe Metroid: Prime Hunters, one of the Mega Man ZX games, or the Zero collection. Can't decide on the 5th but that's my top 4. Mind you I haven't tried any of the DS Mario & Luigi games but I'm sure those are very solid titles as well. The first one is probably my favorite GBA game of all time.

Has anyone played the new Final Fantasy Heroes of the 4 Lights or something like that? That one seems interesting enough but I'd like some player feedback first.

The game that spends 99% of it's time in my DS is Pokemon Soul Silver. Once you buy into the strategy of the game, it becomes endless. I was a little disappointed with how easy it was to beat all of the gym leaders in the second region though.

Tetris DS is a great single card, download and play game if you have friends with a DS. Easy, fast, fun for everybody.

I bought all the GBA versions, but the Mega Man Zero Collection for DS would be a good game to pick up if you enjoy 2D platformers. They are pretty difficult, but I hear there's an easy mode in DS version. The Castlevania series is another one that has some good twists on the traditional 2D gameplay.

If none of those tickle your fancy, you can't go wrong with Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Tony Hawk: American Sk8land, Picross 3D and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes in time. I guess those would round out my top 8.

I'm really really enjoying Mario vs. Donkey Kong (the new one) right now. If you like puzzle games that have a bit of a challenge to them then this is a no-brainer.

[quote name='SynGamer']Has anyone played the new Final Fantasy Heroes of the 4 Lights or something like that? That one seems interesting enough but I'd like some player feedback first.[/QUOTE]I just got it from Amazon yesterday. It's on sale for ~$20. Haven't played it yet.

FF:III is pretty cheap most places, ~$10

I'd take Tetris DS off honorable mentions since it's one of the rarest DS games released.

My Top 5 is as follows:
- Mario Kart DS
- Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
- Dragon Quest IX
- New Super Mario Bros.

Honorable Mentions
- Professor Layton and the Curious Village
- Pokemon Platinum
- Pokemon Soul Silver
- Dragon Quest V [Not in my Top 5 since it's extremely rare]
- Clubhouse Games
- Brain Age I and II
- Castlevania Order of Eclessia
- Phoenix Wright Just for All
- Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations
- Mega Man ZX

[quote name='maigoyume']If you have a wii you could always download it off the VC. Otherwise there is ONE other method that is a pretty decent deal.

http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcom...Phantom-Detective-New-Classics-Bundle-DS.html

2 great games for the price of one :D[/QUOTE]

Wow that is great, I actually saw Ghost Trick in Nintendo Power and it looked interesting. Do you know if both games come in their original separate packages?

Edit: when you add the preorder to your cart it lists both games separately

[quote name='brandonandtiff']Wow that is great, I actually saw Ghost Trick in Nintendo Power and it looked interesting. Do you know if both games come in their original separate packages?

Edit: when you add the preorder to your cart it lists both games separately[/QUOTE]PW:AA is marked as $0.00 though, so its fine. I'm pretty sure they come separately or else those copies would be for "collector's", though that term seems to be used rather loosely these days.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'd take Tetris DS off honorable mentions since it's one of the rarest DS games released.

My Top 5 is as follows:
- Mario Kart DS
- Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
- Dragon Quest IX
- New Super Mario Bros.

Honorable Mentions
- Professor Layton and the Curious Village
- Pokemon Platinum
- Pokemon Soul Silver
- Dragon Quest V [Not in my Top 5 since it's extremely rare]
- Clubhouse Games
- Brain Age I and II
- Castlevania Order of Eclessia
- Phoenix Wright Just for All
- Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations
- Mega Man ZX[/QUOTE]
How rare is Dragon Quest 5,because I seen about 5 copies at my K-Mart for about $40.

[quote name='SynGamer']Tried 999, far too much dialogue for a portable game imo. Going to try out Strange Journey sometime soon.[/QUOTE]

Almost makes you wonder why they call it a "visual novel", huh?

:roll:

[quote name='Gears24']How rare is Dragon Quest 5,because I seen about 5 copies at my K-Mart for about $40.[/QUOTE]

Well it is OOP, so that is probably the best price you'll find it for.

Didn't care for Advance Wars. I have Ninjatown and Elite Beat Agents coming from Goozex.

[quote name='Girdot']Almost makes you wonder why they call it a "visual novel", huh?

:roll:[/QUOTE]
Roll your eyes all you want, but I was hoping for far more voice acting and less reading. Yes, it is a visual novel, but at least entertain me. To each their own though.

Are there any (western?) RPGs similar to Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, etc? I'm already growing tired of the clichéd JRPGs I've played so far. Same looking characters, settings, and stories...

bread's done
Back