Topatoi - PSN Puzzle Platformer - Eps. 1 Out Now - Eps. 2 out March 4 - Demo Out Now

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://topatoi.boolat.com/index.html
Raph, the brave explorer, and his companions encounter an emergency landing in the most mysterious corner of the planet. Now Raph has to look for the spare parts to fix his skyship. And save his girlfriend as well!

Fortunately our hero has a special ATG-device. ATG stands for All-Terrain Gyroscope. It is basically a machine which works just like a spinning top toy. Which is just perfect for the weird part of the world our characters are trapped in.

Controlling ATG needs some practice. The top should be spinned correctly, since the "spin amount" and thus the overall speed affects device's movement and behavior. Also ATG can obtain special abilities which will help you on your journey.

Sounds like a solid puzzle/platformer game, don't you think?
--------
Topatoi is a mixture of puzzle and platformer game with original and inventive gameplay mechanics. Original, but pretty much in the old school traditions of the games like The Lost Vikings or Bubba 'N Stix. Apart from immersive gameplay you should expect:

• Multiple worlds/environments. The environments not only look different, but also have some treats that affect gameplay.
  • Various types of puzzles. And plenty of enemies as well!
  • Breathtaking physics model. As you see, Topatoi is mostly about physics, so this part is certainly well-crafted to provide truly unique experience.
  • Multiplayer modes. Topatoi delivers a very good field for a challenge. Which is quite unusual for that type of the puzzle games. There'll be an update on this a little bit later. We'll show you why this point really matters.
Screenshots can be found here.

It looks interesting, but why are you playing bumper fucking cars with everyone? I'm going to call it right now - the controls look too loose.

Just beat the game and it's only six levels long. At the end, it gives me a message saying "the adventures continues in the next episode" or something to that affect. This is an episodic thing? Nothing in the description on the official site, which is the same as it was in the OP when I first quoted it, mentions this at all.

There are challenge levels that are a bit like Mirror's Edge's DLC levels, which use its own unique style instead of anything that's in the campaign.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Just beat the game and it's only six levels long. At the end, it gives me a message saying "the adventures continues in the next episode" or something to that affect. This is an episodic thing? Nothing in the description on the official site, which is the same as it was in the OP when I first quoted it, mentions this at all.

There are challenge levels that are a bit like Mirror's Edge's DLC levels, which use its own unique style instead of anything that's in the campaign.[/QUOTE]

The description on PSN calls it out as episodic.

That's the only place, which is a bit late to be springing the whole episodic thing on people.

The story isn't anything special, as it's a basic save the girl from the villain thing, so I'd hope that they're not expecting to charge much for the rest of the game.

The second episode has been announced:
Boolat Games is glad to announce Topatoi: The Pillar of Skies, the second episode of Topatoi, puzzle-oriented PlayStation 3/PSN platformer, released earlier this year.

The world of Topatoi: The Pillar of Skies is absolutely different and a little bit darker in tone from what we've experienced in the first episode, The Great Tree Story. Check out the screenshots, with all that cliffs and machinery. First of all, Topatoi: The Pillar of Skies offers the set of new environment, new enemies and new gameplay experience. The latter will feature light as one of the main gameplay elements, which makes sense since the world of The Pillar of Skies is dark and Topatoi is a puzzle-platformer game.

Topatoi: The Pillar of Skies is longer than Topatoi: The Great Tree Story, with estimated 10+ hours of gameplay and 10 bonus levels for the Arcade Mode.

We also must mention, that starting December 10 demo version of Topatoi is available worldwide. So if you're not familiar with the game, you can try it, while we're finishing The Pillar of Skies.

Topatoi is a game that sticks to old school traditions of the puzzler platformers, including emphasis on the original concepts and unique immersive gameplay. In short, the core of Topatoi's gameplay is based on the fact that player controls a small explorer vehicle that works like a spinning top. So the spin needs to be controlled carefully, as it affects the device's movement and behaviour.

Topatoi: The Pillar of Skies is currently slated for an early 2010 release, possibly January or February. More details will follow, so stay tuned for the updates. Check the official website at http://www.topatoi.com for more information, including screenshots, in-game videos and trailers. You also can track Topatoi on Facebook via game's group: http://www.facebook.com/pages/topatoi/126692335188?v
10+ hours would be nice since the first episode is so short, though it would have to be cheaper than $10 to make up for that.

A demo came out yesterday, so you can try it out now.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/pillar-of-the-skies-a-new-world-of-topatoi-on-psn-tomorrow/

The second episode will be out today. No price was announced, but it'll probably be $10 like the first episode.

I’m Alex, CEO of Boolat Games. From now on I’ll be with you to share all the news from Boolat Games studio. Firstly, I’m happy to announce that the second episode of our PS3 exclusive, puzzle-oriented platformer Topatoi will be releasing on the PlayStation Store tomorrow. Take a whirligig under control and fasten your seat belts.

As we already informed you, Topatoi: Pillar of the Skies introduces an absolutely new mechanical world and a plenty of new features. Check out the gameplay video to get a glimpse of what’s coming out your way:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/830/2.314

If you’re expecting to read about all the cool features of Pillar of the Skies, check out our previous European post. So I’ll pass on the storyline we described earlier and move to the most important thing – the core gameplay — I believe it would be most interesting for all you guys. So Topatoi is a platformer, but as you might have noticed, it differs from a classic platformer for a few reasons. First of all, it introduces the freedom of a 3D world like most of the latest adventure games. But the main difference here is that you have no character to control, but a whirligig vehicle that you drive. You’ll learn the controls for convenient driving, and in Topatoi, controls are quite simple – you can spin your whirligig up or down:

• High Spin Rate = High Speed & Long Jumps BUT Difficult Controls
  • Low Spin Rate = Low Speed & Short Jumps BUT Sensitive Controls

As you can see, it makes classic controls tricky and adds an element of racing, but it’s fun.

So spin, feel spin and control spin are really valuable here! Want to jump as long as you can? Spin up your vehicle! Want to stop? Drop your spin rate to zero! Follow those rules and you’ll pass all 34 levels of Topatoi and earn the 19 trophies it has to offer.

Stay tuned, share your thoughts, ask your questions here or through Topatoi’s group on Facebook and have fun.

bread's done
Back