Torchlight $15 from Direct2Drive

[quote name='DesertLeo']im still on the fence. I still play Diablo 2 frequently, should I not compare it to that?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, don't compare it to D2. I mean this game is the first loot whoring game I actually liked after Diablo 2, but it doesn't compare IMO. It's only single player also, but I would suggest you get it. It's a whole lot of fun . :cool:

[quote name='DesertLeo']I still play Diablo 2 frequently, should I not compare it to that?[/QUOTE]

Don't see why not. It's at least broadly similar to Diablo. If you haven't heard, Torchlight was co-designed by the Schaefer brothers, two of the lead developers of Diablo I and II, and Travis Baldree, the designer of Fate.

This game is awesome. I got it a few days ago from Steam and being playing it a lot. Dual pistol wielding Vanquisher FTW!

It is more like Diablo 1.5. Single town. It is a fun rump but the story and scope isn't as vast as Diablo 2.

Download the demo here
http://www.torchlightgame.com/

I really like this game. It feels a lot like a streamlined smaller version of D2 with a WoW-ish art style to me. Even the soundtrack reminds me of D2. I was very surprised at how polished the game is for

Great stuff i have to say. Thanks alot guys.
p.gif

[quote name='Xealot42']Even the soundtrack reminds me of D2.[/quote]
Same composer. :)

I think they are using the profits from the SP game to develop a F2P MMO.
Correct. I'm still not sold on that, though...I'd just as soon take a multiplayer mode for Torchlight.

I don't think I'll bite until this is $10 or less. I played the demo and it was pretty fun, but I have a feeling it will get a little tedious after awhile.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Is this one of those D2D games that you get a Steam activation code? Like Saints Row 2 or Defense Grid? If so, I'm in![/QUOTE]
Nope.

[quote name='Warlock82']I don't think I'll bite until this is $10 or less. I played the demo and it was pretty fun, but I have a feeling it will get a little tedious after awhile.[/QUOTE]
Ooh...if you don't dig the grind/tedium, you might want to skip this one...

Proceeds from this game are funding a free to play Torchlight MMO (a model I detest).

Despite this being a good game, I will pass on principle.

[quote name='wynams']Proceeds from this game are funding a free to play Torchlight MMO (a model I detest).

Despite this being a good game, I will pass on principle.[/QUOTE]

You won't buy one game, because you don't like the concept of the developer's next game? :whistle2:?

Wow, that's a pretty dumb principal. Do you only buy games from developers/publishers whose every single game you like and approve of? :whistle2:s

[quote name='wynams']Proceeds from this game are funding a free to play Torchlight MMO (a model I detest).

Despite this being a good game, I will pass on principle.[/QUOTE]
You're refusing to buy a good game because of a future release from the same company? :roll: If you don't like the F2P MMO, just don't play it.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']A link in the OP would have been nice.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry about that It wouldn't let me post a link because I'm new here :S

That's silly I even had to edit your link out XD

Yeah I think I'm all over this. It's about time for a game like this and I'd rather try something new than go back to the decrepit Diablo series ;). Titan Quest was horrible when I played it a couple of years ago. Defeated the final boss without him even hitting me. Brokennnnn.

[quote name='Gekkoton']Yeah, sorry about that It wouldn't let me post a link because I'm new here :S

That's silly I even had to edit your link out XD[/QUOTE]

Ah. No problem, and thanks for the deal, new guy. :D

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']You're refusing to buy a good game because of a future release from the same company? :roll: If you don't like the F2P MMO, just don't play it.[/QUOTE]
The future release is adding multiplayer to the game in question.

Do you know who Runic Games was before Runic? Flagship Seattle ... you know what product they were developing before they went belly up? a F2P MMO

If you like the model, play it ... but the western world is consistently not buying in.

[quote name='wynams']The future release is adding multiplayer to the game in question.[/quote]

The future release from Runic is an F2P MMO set in the world of Torchlight, but it is a wholly separate, standalone game, not an add-on to Torchlight itself.

Were you under the impression that they were going to transform the current game into an MMO? If so, your objection is based on false premises.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Ooh...if you don't dig the grind/tedium, you might want to skip this one...[/QUOTE]

I normally wouldn't mind that much, just that as I got further into the demo, it all felt kind of "same-y" to me. The environments and monsters were not changing too significantly. I realize the game can't stay that way forever, but a little more variety earlier on would have been nice. There was one crypt or something I went in, and that was neat at least.

I did like the gameplay though - it very much had the feel of the original Diablo. And it doesn't seem to be making the mistakes that I thought Diablo 2 made (that is, big, empty wide open areas that suck the atmosphere right out of the game).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The future release from Runic is an F2P MMO set in the world of Torchlight, but it is a wholly separate, standalone game, not an add-on to Torchlight itself.

Were you under the impression that they were going to transform the current game into an MMO? If so, your objection is based on false premises.[/QUOTE]

He just hates F2PMMO...for some reason. Who cares. It has nothing to do with this topic.

I'm willing to bet this game will be $10 on Steam's boxing day sale but for $15 now, I think I'm in for it.

great game but waiting for a steam special, let me know if u know of one lol even tho i check steam every single day lol

This is one of my favorite genre of games, but i just can't get into it. i got it over a week ago for $20 and, it just feels hollow. The story and the world are just intensely un-interesting to me.

That seems like an odd complaint for a button masher, but i never realized how much I really enjoyed the world and designs of D,D2, and titan quest until I played torchlight.

I just tried to purchase this game but when I put in the coupon code it states: Your coupon or discount has expired. Am I missing something?

bread's done
Back