Torchlight download $10 through Encore

I already own the game, but wanted to chime in and say that this is a bargain (hell, even $19.99 full price is a bargain) from all the terrific gameplay packed into the game.

nice, 50% off storewide, some of their adventure games like syberia 1/2 are tempting
not familiar with them, the purchase digital insurance is odd

Unfortunately, the site the "Buy Now" button takes you to seems to be down (digitalriver.com.) Hopefully it'll be brought up later tonight.

I was planning to wait for Torchlight to eventually be $5 somewhere, but have been rather bored lately and don't mind shelling out the extra cash for it. The demo had me quite hooked.

[quote name='vherub']
not familiar with them, the purchase digital insurance is odd[/QUOTE]

A lot of sites do that. With Digital games you're better off with GamersGate, Steam, D2D and Impulse. Unless, of course, you're ok with your games 'expiring' and being screwed if your hard drive dies.

Any site that uses DigitalRiver to sell games is best avoided.

[quote name='NutManIV']A lot of sites do that. With Digital games you're better off with GamersGate, Steam, D2D and Impulse. Unless, of course, you're ok with your games 'expiring' and being screwed if your hard drive dies.

Any site that uses DigitalRiver to sell games is best avoided.[/QUOTE]

I was about to ask about that. I bought a Windows 7 License from them recently and I bought the download protection but they also sent me a backup disc so I was ok with it but they probably only did that cuz of Microsoft. Otherwise I hear download protection purchases and I think of EAs putrid policy of 1 year download limits. I was so upset when I got a game that was through them. It all worked out ok but I was still pissed. Ima say stay away from this even though I want to buy the game just as bad as everyone else.

Are there any install limits on the Encore digital version of the game?

I know if you buy a digital version from Runic directly, you have 10 installs allowed.

Anyone dealt with this site before? Thoughts? I was really hoping Steam would have a Torchlight deal and this is the only thing I was looking for on Blackfriday that I didn't end up getting.

FWIW, Encore will be the publisher for the retail version to be released in stores in January. I bit on it - the charge was what it was supposed to be, the download / activation went fine... Of course if you have problems, YMMV.

After reading up a little more on the sites (encore and digitalriver,) I decided against the purchase. $10 is the right price for me right now, but limited to 1 year "license to download" unless I pay more for two years just doesn't fly with me. Looks like I'm back to playing the demo and keeping an eye on Steam for a better deal.

From the patch page: "Patches on this page are ONLY compatible with games purchased from this site or from Encoreusa/Encore.com. These patches can not be used with any games purchased from other sites. Not compatible with patches from other sites."

No thanks. I also suspect this may me that addons created by the community with the toolset might not run on this version of Torchlight.

I only had good experiences through Digital River, granted I do save my purchased programs on different HDDs just in case. DR is what MS uses to distribute their student-discounted copies of Windows and Office.

[quote name='L0RDTemplar']From the patch page: "Patches on this page are ONLY compatible with games purchased from this site or from Encoreusa/Encore.com. These patches can not be used with any games purchased from other sites. Not compatible with patches from other sites."

No thanks. I also suspect this may me that addons created by the community with the toolset might not run on this version of Torchlight.[/QUOTE]

lol.. of course.. the same policy is done with Steam and countless digital distributor. You act as if Steam and others have done differently. Why don't you try to apply an Impulse patch on a Steam game? :drool:

$10 is a good deal and digital river is reputable enough to risk $10.

For those who said they've done research and heard bad rep about Encore/Digital River.. meh, have you look up on Steam too? :roll: I bet you will find tons also.
All companies have bad rep if you are willing to dig up the dirt.. hell, I know lots of you buy lots of stuff on Amazon.. why don't you google to see how many complain people have on Amazon?

the point is: how much you willing to risk? For $10, I am in for a beautiful game like Torchlight

[quote name='aznguyen316']no steam, no deal.. although $10 is nice.. why deal with DRM if I can get it other ways..[/QUOTE]

You do realize that Steam authentication *IS* DRM, right?

[quote name='agentghost']lol.. of course.. the same policy is done with Steam and countless digital distributor. You act as if Steam and others have done differently. Why don't you try to apply an Impulse patch on a Steam game? :drool:

$10 is a good deal and digital river is reputable enough to risk $10.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't really think of it that way, I assumed if you updated a game via the official patch that it would still work with Steam, but I guess that isn't really how it works. I'd have liked to have waited out for the Steam deal but oh well, went ahead and purchased this. I know digital river is alright, I've dealt with them before. I was more concerned about the Encore company, and possibly their ability to keep up with patches etc.. have never heard of them.

I can confirm that I was charged the correct amount and my download is going without issue.

Thanks OP.

The purchase through Digital River seemed solid enough (though they charged tax even though it never mentioned this). They pointed me to a small initial download (348k) which was a "Digital River Download Manager" which downloaded the game to my desktop (417 megs). It installed without a hitch, and I assume that larger file can be used to reinstall it if necessary, so I'll keep that around.

Also, it installs v1.12 by default - there's no need to download the update from the site.

Confirmed that you can just save the file to reinstall, I reinstalled twice already due to some issues with shared registry settings between this and the Steam demo of the game :p

[quote name='L0RDTemplar']Confirmed that you can just save the file to reinstall, I reinstalled twice already due to some issues with shared registry settings between this and the Steam demo of the game :p[/QUOTE]

I installed it last night on my Laptop, thinking that I would be able to also install it on my Desktop PC upstairs in my home office. Now it's telling me:

“This key has already been activated on the maximum number of computers. If you believe this is mistaken, please contact customer service via email at [email protected] and reference code ARM10XX

Explanation: The program has run into a permanent error while trying to retrieve your key. Please contact customer service via email at [email protected] if you feel this is incorrect. This program will revert to trial mode (if it has one) until your key is successfully installed.”

I sent them a note, but this is ridiculous. Hopefully they will fix. DRM is crap!

Well, i contacted them and they are unlocking it so I can re-install up to 20 times. So, DRM is a pain, but they've effectively removed the issue for me. I don't see myself ever installing this 20 times! 5 - 10 at the most!

Hi Everyone

I noticed this thread aas I was checking out various blogs about the game. I am a representative for the Encore Online Store, and i definitely understand your frustration with only being able to activate the game once. We are currently working to change the settings within the DLm so that anyone who purchases the game from encore.com will have 3 valid activations. In the meantime, if you contact the Customer Service email or phone number listed on your order confirmation email or the Encore webiste, they will be able to increase your number of activations manually!!

Sorry for the frustration:(

We appreciate your business and are always working to improve customer satisfaction and experience!

Regards,

[quote name='redlupine']deal is dead, but keep your eye on the Direct2Drive sale
http://www.direct2drive.com/holiday/

if the deals go in the order provided in the CAG thread, then you can expect Torchlight for $10 on Dec.21[/QUOTE]
That's what I am banking on. I just gotta be patient.

bread's done
Back